Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Horatio

VIP Member
Love this thread! Thanks for making it.

I think we have a lot in common as I also grew up watching the new series (I say grew up,
I was 15 when it came back in 2005 but those latter teens are pretty formative years)
I was also absolutely in love with David tennant and his doctor. However, in recent years I’ve come to a conclusion no one who knew me back then would believe, and I actually prefer 11! Don’t get me wrong, I adore both. And it might partly be down to the production values and lots of the writing improving when Stephen moffat came onboard (tho I will always love RTD and all
He did. But there was a lot of slightly dodgy, budget saving moments. Which I know is what doctor who is about but still)
But Matt smith also had something in his performance that was so charming, so eccentric, so brilliant. You really could believe he was very old while also seeming very young, that he was so intelligent, damn even that he had 2 hearts! All that i would say for DT too... but Matt smith somehow more. And I was DEVASTATED when DT left and bemused when MS was first introduced “who the hell is this guy.” But Moffat took a risk with him and he made the right call...: from 11’s. very first line “can I have an Apple?” I thought “ooh this guy is good....”

I have more thoughts about 12 and 13 (not as positive) but will add later.

Reactions: 2

Apple In My Pie

VIP Member
Chris Chibnall has been nothing but a major disappointment. And he has let Jodie down. The flaws with her Doctor are entirely down to the poor scripts she has had to deal with.

I want a return to the vibes of early New Who. Russell T. Davies just gave the show a real magic. Even side characters had an arc and development. People like Jackie Tyler, Martha's family, Donna's family. Those vibes haven't been there since.

Everything felt more natural, the jokes felt more natural (and I will forever Stan Jackie Tyler for thinking the Doctor was asking about the Eastenders storyline in Army of Ghosts in series 2) , the stories were generally better.
i forgot I made this thread 😆 - but I completely agree. RTD had this real talent in injecting sci-fi into the real world, if that makes sense. It was comforting to see a girl like me, working class council estate, on the screen… as Moffat moved into writing more and then chibnall it has become more about the sci fi. Which is no problem, as that is what DW is at its core, but it lost a bit of charm for me then

Reactions: 1

Reverend

VIP Member
I am looking forward to the animation of The Abominable Snowmen - someone ( might have been on here) was saying that it might be the last one ?
Nothing confirmed as yet, but the problem is that with the exception of Dalek Masterplan, and Wheel in Space (Cybermen) the rest of the stories that haven't been animated are either pure historicals, and/or not particularly well-regarded which limits their appeal to more than die-hard fans.

It's a shame if they don't do anymore, but on the other it's brilliant that they have done what they done so far (Faceless Ones and Fury from the Deep are great), and we do better than some shows who have lost episodes and have never been reconstructed or animated.

I really wish people would stop posting clips online of them filming! By the time it airs I’ll have seen it all. I’ve tried to hide and mute things on Twitter but it doesn’t help. I just think if you’re watching them film, just watch it yourself you don’t need to post it online. I wanna be excited for this special but everything always gets spoilt by social media. I wish the crew would just tell all these fans to piss off 🤣

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
Sasha is an incredible actor and love him as the master and that scene but does feel Chris just copied and pasted that scene with John Simm now you mentioned it! Can’t wait for new episodes
To be fair to Chris, he has spent his entire tenure copying bits from the past of Doctor Who.

The way they announced it was very understated. I wonder if there was a chance of a leak and they wanted to get in first. It’s literally the BAFTAs tonight and I wonder if the plan was to announce it there

LoopyLou47

VIP Member
Found to Centenary Special over indulgent with the nostalgia. Chibnall's writing has always aimed for ambition, but I found the storyline overly weak, masked by all the indulgence of the past.

But Sacha Dhawan as The Master was brilliant. Deliciously psycho. More than mildly arousing. 😂

Really not sure about this one, will give RTD the chance to justify and explain this one before I judge. But would've preferred to move straight on to Ncuti personally.
Totally agree with your spoiler. Glad I'm not the only one. It smacks of desperation and not having confidence in your ability to go forward.
Also, yes Sacha Dhawan was in a class of his own, as usual. Ace and Tiegan are still terrible actors!

VC10

VIP Member
Apparently ( if anyone's interested in the old 1960s series) they are to release an animated story on dvd this year - The Abominable Snowmen, an old Patrick Troughton b/w adventure

Apple In My Pie

VIP Member
I am so, so glad RTD is returning. He seemed to have a knack for what chibnall doesn’t which was to give characters dimension and also show diversity or education without grinding the plot to a halt to do so. It’s a shame that Jodie didn’t get to have a run under RTD as I think she would have shone

Rockin' Robin

VIP Member
Not even the appearance of David Tennant can save the show. Not content with killing off the legacy of the show, they are dancing upon it's grave.

CookieZippy

VIP Member
I can’t stand the guy either. But......

I don't doubt that some aren't happy but to say that in the first hour of the announcement he had seen over 200 angry racists is just bullshit. Says everything about the man that he saw a black actor cast in a big tv role and immediately decided to started to do post after post about bigots. He has a bizarre narrative that all of the UK is thick and racist.

George Agdgdgwngo

When I say modern who, I mean the decline of the series when Moffat took over. RTD was fairly okay, but running out of steam I felt towards the end. David Tennant was a masterpiece of casting, he’s the Tom Baker of nu Who to those fans. Even Matt Smith had a good start to his first series, but after that it was bogged down in the dreadful Riversong/Roy/Amy saga.
I was not a fan of Peter Capaldi, felt his run was poor. Then two episodes of her and I switched off for good.

it’s far too woke

CookieZippy

VIP Member
Oh I absolutely agree! The mans a total bell end. Has he got a thread on here?

Yes. But it's surprisingly quiet. I genuinely think that there's something shady about the fundraisers he does. He pushes them to death till they get close to the target then just drops all mention of them and starts another. Fishy

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
She's definitely playing Rose. But whether it's Rose Tyler or Rose Temple is unconfirmed. I hope it's Donna's daughter if either.

Also, WILFRED IS BACK!

Bernard Cribbins has been seen on set.