Do you like your neighbours

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We live in a new build terrace which is in a C shape with all the gardens in the middle, so this causes any noise to be amplified unfortunately.
our neighbours to the right seem very nice and we take the odd parcel in for them and vice versa. They seem nice and most importantly are quite quiet. The neighbours to the left are a nightmare. Both are retired so spend a lot of time in the garden. Both seem to be a bit hard of hearing so bellow and also have loud phone calls on speakerphone in the garden so you hear both sides. The wife then phones all her friends and has the same conversation over and over!
We had a bit of a falling out with them over their continuing power tool noise as she is so bored she just gets him to build all sorts in the garden. My husband asked them to tone it down as it was like living next to a building site so the husband came round threatening police, lawyers etc and basically they will do what they want. She now stands in the garden loudly slagging us off which is giving me anxiety every time I go out.We don’t engage in the slagging off as I refuse to lower myself to their level.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 6
No!
I really feel torn on my behaviour in regards to them though. I live next door to this guy and his wife, and at first they were nice and chatty and even now they are.
We don’t share a drive way but there’s just like a little bush in between our two driveways so there’s literally no escaping them when they are out and I need to go to the car.
But I think lockdown has caused a massive rift in my own head. It all started when we were in total lockdown and they had their daughter and her son in the house when it was the strictest rules (bubbles weren’t a thing and she would come and go every few days) They knowingly broke the rules, as they hid her car in the garage. One day they obv tried to get the car out and it wouldn’t work so they knocked on to ask my partner to help. I just felt it was abit hard faced as me and my partner were sticking to the rules and we were also furloughed (airline industry) It was a real scary time and we would see him carrying on as normal, going to work, having his daughter round etc.At one point they even had friends round.
I suppose I became abit bitter about it. I felt like we weren’t going to work because idiots like him were still carrying on like there was no virus- yet he would cheerily ask ‘any news on work? Oh what a shame! You must be so bored!’ As he would set off to work with a smile and happily accepting over time.
I would try and just shrug it off and I’m sure he was genuinely being friendly but at times it really wound me up.
There was also a few remarks he made that wound me up- one showed what an utter snob he was (about people who have shared ownership are ‘poor people’) I hate that attitude, as my family come from a council house and I can’t stand that sort of shallow view. How dare he?!! And then he would remark about my job and say ‘you just make tea and coffee in the sky’ -I’m cabin crew, and yes I do do that, but there is also other things to it. I know it’s not rocket science but I’m very proud of my job so why does he have to judge it? Can’t he keep his opinions to himself?!!
He just says all the wrong things and I feel now I have to avoid him because if I don’t I just resent him even more.
I struggle because I don’t know if I’m being mean or not? I always speak to people and am always friendly but now I check the cctv to check he isn’t outside before I go outside to the bin or the garage!
Sometimes I feel I’m being unreasonable because in the scheme of things I know we could have A LOT worse! But he just drives me mad, he’s not the sort of person I would speak to so why should I just because he lives next to me?

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
I live above a couple in their 60s. They are very nice enough but duck me, they do nothing but have an opinion on everything. Absolute curtain twitchers.

The man will police people for the slightest thing. He’s forever kicking off at people for parking wrong. He told my housemates boyfriend off for smoking outside. He once told a noisy woman on the street that she’d woken his baby up when they don’t have any children. They watch all of our comings and goings, if I haven’t gone to work they’ll ask why. Neither of them work and they’re just so nosy.

I’ve moved out for lockdown and went back to get a couple of parcels I’ve had delivered, they’d taken them in to their flat because they were worried my housemate would steal them - never mind the fact she has all of my worldly possessions in the room next to her.

They seem to like me so I don’t have run ins with them but it’s *almost* as bad as living with my parents.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
They moved in only a few months ago and they’re quite weird but they’re nice too but also weird. What I find weird about them is how quiet they are... we never hear them at all and our house isn’t exactly “loud” but we definitely make noise here and there I’d say.

My neighbours are ok, however sleeping is an entirely different issue... one side is a gamer who wears headphones and shouts until 11 at the week days... the other side has ocd and doesn’t require a lot of sleep either so goes to bed after midnight..and they let their kids sleep in with them who also have late nights and wake up at 7.30.... so no sleep in at all for me... it’s a constant stress of getting to and staying asleep

• Wow
Reactions: 1
We live in a new build terrace which is in a C shape with all the gardens in the middle, so this causes any noise to be amplified unfortunately.
our neighbours to the right seem very nice and we take the odd parcel in for them and vice versa. They seem nice and most importantly are quite quiet. The neighbours to the left are a nightmare. Both are retired so spend a lot of time in the garden. Both seem to be a bit hard of hearing so bellow and also have loud phone calls on speakerphone in the garden so you hear both sides. The wife then phones all her friends and has the same conversation over and over!
We had a bit of a falling out with them over their continuing power tool noise as she is so bored she just gets him to build all sorts in the garden. My husband asked them to tone it down as it was like living next to a building site so the husband came round threatening police, lawyers etc and basically they will do what they want. She now stands in the garden loudly slagging us off which is giving me anxiety every time I go out.We don’t engage in the slagging off as I refuse to lower myself to their level.
I think you should record her slagging outbursts as if they get worse, you can use this evidence for future reference. Some neighbours are just hideous, they have no regard for anyone else.

They moved in only a few months ago and they’re quite weird but they’re nice too but also weird. What I find weird about them is how quiet they are... we never hear them at all and our house isn’t exactly “loud” but we definitely make noise here and there I’d say.
Relish the peace and quiet. It could be far worse. I would rather have quiet weirdos than noisy ones. 🤣

Reactions: 3
I seem to be having problems, with my partner's neighbours. I don't live with my partner, but stay with him quite often. The married couple next door, are friendly and talkative to my partner, but they completely ignore me. I smiled at the husband, several weeks ago, he gave me a dirty look. I was ťrying to be friendly. As far as I am aware, I have done nothing wrong, to deserve this treatment.

I seem to be having problems, with my partner's neighbours. I don't live with my partner, but stay with him quite often. The married couple next door, are friendly and talkative to my partner, but they completely ignore me. I smiled at the husband, several weeks ago, he gave me a dirty look. I was ťrying to be friendly. As far as I am aware, I have done nothing wrong, to deserve this treatment.
What they dish out to you, give it back to them. Some people really do hate having to swallow their own medicine. 😉

Both sides are okay apart from the fact they do not stick to covid rules .They have people stay over and do the same .As it's only single people with children under 12 who can form a bubble with someone in the same position I feel they just don't care other neighbour in her 90's has visitors in all the time 🤦

I live in a converted terrace house that had now become flats and I bloody hate my neighbours.
half of the building had moved out so we don’t have anyone above us and we’ve never had anyone to our left.We only used to have issue with the commercial properties below us. One of them would have parties until midnight after closing up and the music used to vibrate our floor. Since COVID that’s stopped but then we got our downstairs neighbours and they are driving me insane.There’s 4 of them squeezed into a tiny flat - it’s like they shout at each other to communicate, doors slamming at all hours, weed smoking so our flat ends up stinking too, huge arguments. Then to top it all off they now have a tv in each room and watch it very loud until around 1am.

• Angry
No. They block my gate with their multiple bleeping cars so I can’t access it 🤬🤬🤬 Their house is up for sale and I can’t wait for them to duck off.

I know this is bizarre but could they see you as some sort of ‘other woman’ or know his ex etc.

No. They block my gate with their multiple bleeping cars so I can’t access it 🤬🤬🤬 Their house is up for sale and I can’t wait for them to duck off.

I know this is bizarre but could they see you as some sort of ‘other woman’ or know his ex etc.
No to both questions.

If that’s the only issue I’d be thanking my lucky stars 😂

Yeah , we are lucky with the neighbour in the adjoining house . We can often hear her but I suppose she can probably hear us .
We are planning to move soon and I hope we have ok neighbours at the new house

Just forget that personally, its not worth bothering about.

I say hello to all mine besides the ones who i am attached to. They have 3 older adult children living there. 5 adults in a small semi is somewhat ridiculous. They make a lot of noise.

We moved to a detached in a new town about five years ago. We have an elderly couple across (but still active, have a car etc), and they're the nosiest people I've ever known. Whenever we have a delivery or workman in the house they stand in the window and watch the whole time. They seem totally obsessed with what we do, but barely speak to us.
On one side we have a lovely, quiet family.
On the other side we have the nastiest neighbour we've ever experienced. Ever since we moved in they've bullied us and destroyed some of the plants in our garden. The police have been involved, but they can only warn them.

• Sad
  • Wow