Do you like your neighbours

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes/no.

On one side is an ignorant cow who slams her front door all hours of the day and night, has had two house parties during lockdown 1 & 2 and multiple people over that are obviously from differing households, plays her music so loud I can hear it over the tv, and stands in front of my living room window when she's on the phone and practically screams down it as if the person on the other end is deaf. Multiple arguments and screaming matches with boyfriend/s. I once watched her throw out her ex, along with his stuff out the bedroom window - it was literally like an episode of Hollyoaks. To top it off, she's so loud I've been unfortunate enough to hear her having sex...

On the other side is a funny, caring and lovely Scottish woman and her daughter. She has lived there since before I was even born. I honestly wish she was my godmother tbh. She'd literally drop everything to help you if you needed someone and has a spare key for whenever I go away. I clean her yard with a pressure washer once a year when I do mine and have helped her out with shopping and bits and pieces during covid and also left her some of my birthday cake or extras when baking to cheer her up.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Oooh, it’s my first time posting on here, been lurking in the shadows but really felt the urge to pounce on this thread.
New neighbours, fantastic, lived here almost 3 years now. Old neighbourhood, awful. Told me what to do with my front garden, wanted the wheelie bin pulled straight back off of the drive after the bin men had literally pulled it off the back of the lorry from emptying, gauping in the street if we did something new, waving religiously every time we shut our blinds. The final nail in the coffin, went into hospital to have my Son (had a very quick birth) 2 hours long and came home at tea time, Partner got baby in first then came back to open the door for me, as he was doing so nosey Nora shouts over the wall “Oooooh you can’t fool me I’ve just seen the car seat go in with a baby in it, I’ll pop over tomorrow to have a gander” needless to say we didn’t open the door to her. No one needs that when they feel like they’ve just been kicked in the vag by a steel toecap. Most people wouldn’t call that hell but it was so intrusive it was just hideous, they made us move soooooo I’d say it was pretty awful.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
We only have one neighbour next to us and they are ok, couple with a baby daughter no problems, although they dug up the whole back garden and put it all on the front and there’s still a huge pile of mud there, you’d think it would get on there nerves 😅😅 our old neighbours were very odd. The story was that she owned the house and he was initially a lodger, they fell in love and ended up having a baby but they looked like they were in their late 50s/60s. She never worked I don’t think but he worked in a bakery, he was very odd, I once looked out the window and saw him stood naked on his sofa watching the lion king in black and white! Weird! They randomly split up and he knocked on the door to tell us they were moving out, he was actually a lot more normal than we thought.
Oh my days, bet you couldn’t unsee that! 😳

Reactions: 3
Yes. Kind of. There's problems with both...

On one side, they're very nice and kind. I'd say they're in their late 40's with their grown up children living with them. They can be VERY loud. I have had to knock on the door and tell them to be quiet a couple of times.

On the other side, they're nice but not very friendly (especially the man). And randomly, they keep leaving an absolute tit ton of bread in their garden. Now I have two dogs, which this is TORMENTING. Not to mention I bet it attracts mice, rats etc :sick:
Do you have Dalmatians? 😊 My favourite breed, I used to own them.

@Gembo

I am familiar with that type of neighbour you describe. It is the kind of stress none of us need, especially when it takes place near our home. Our homes should be our sanctuary, a place of refuge, not feel as though you are doing battle every time you walk out the front door.

The houses in Britain are so badly designed. If you live in a semi, you’re guaranteed to hear your neighbours. Parking is often an issue and if you do get a parking space, it is often invaded by someone else.

You made the right decision in moving away. Like you say, peace of mind is far more important. These type of scum are everywhere in life, but there have been times when I’ve wished a bloody bomb could wipe the lot of them out. Leave us peaceful folk to get on with life. 💚
The house we left was a lovely detached with a large garden and we never envisaged moving till they moved in, but now I’m glad as our new house is amazing, we have all sorts of wildlife popping into the garden, foxes badgers and a family of pheasants to name a few.
I’m very happy now and don’t know how we put up with them, it was just like they wanted to be a part of our family,( think single white female) we couldn’t move for them and they are professional people, the husband is a doctor and she is a health visitor not your average scratter/scum, I could go into it all but it’s behind me now. Nowt queerer than folk as they say!!

Reactions: 1
Getting a strange amount of enjoyment out of this thread 🤣 mine are ok... we live in a semi and they’re a couple with 3 boys, they’re way quieter than I expected them to be! They put in a planning application to build a whole other house attached to theirs earlier this year, we rejected because it meant we’d have to share the parking with 2 more cars. We share a space that’s 4 cars wide, they have a van and a 4x4 and seem to think they need to be able to open their doors fully 🤔 we get shoved up in the corner next to the fence and we are the type to park our cars at the bottom of the car park away from anyone else! They got so many rejections they withdrew the plans before they got the decision. We’ve felt a bit awkward since then, we say hello when we pass but that’s all, I don’t even dare order parcels to the house because I’m an awkward creature and can’t cope with the thought of having to knock their door 🤣 one thing that annoys me about this house though is there is a fair size piece of grass out the front that their kids (and others) are just playing football on all summer! Not a problem but our windows are so big we feel a bit overlooked sometimes...

Reactions: 2
Both sets of neighbours are lovely. A couple with a 4 year old one side, and a gentleman in his fifties with two grown up daughters. My husband and I talk to him more, have his phone number for emergencies and vice versa. Almost every other day I take a parcel for him and he is so thankful every time bless him. The couple keep themselves to themselves which is more than fair enough. We still say hello to each other in passing, couldn't ask for more than that. We are very lucky.

Yes, I brought out my childhood home when both my parents passed away. Most the neighbours are the same as when I was growing up here. It’s lovely, real mix of ages and people. People are friendly and chat but it’s not too over the top! We have a cute little WhatsApp group too!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Absolutely not. A family of 5 on one side, nice enough people but OCD about their garden - which I would understand if it was pristine but it’s literally full of weeds, if you even hover over it (our drive is alongside it so sometimes getting out of the car can be tricky trying to avoid the grass) they come out screaming blue murder, and the mum spends 99% of her time screaming at her children. We live in a detached house and can still hear her.
On the other side is a different ball game, they are new and have only been there a few months... minor teething issues with the house being vacant most of the time our cats had taken a liking to sunbathing on their driveway, the girl doesn’t like cats and so her mum came round to say if we couldn’t keep them in our house and our property we should have them put down. Oh and they are the most inconsiderate people I’ve ever met. We are the corner house, so our drive is easily blocked - which of course any and all of their visitors do exactly that rather than park 50 yards across the road on the pavement and walk to the house.
So no, don’t like either neighbours particularly.

• Wow
I had a field at the side of my house, the owner got planning permission to build. While in the planning stages I got them to move it a few metres away from mine. Full sized field but wanted it close to mine, anyway they hold that against me and don't speak. It took much longer to build than was necessary, the builders actually had a kite and ran around the field on windy days. Once built he behaved like lord of the manor, owner of all the land he could see. With rainwater collecting in his garden from the hill opposite he dug a trench at the rear of a neighbours land causing the rainwater run into his garden instead. While I was on holiday he came into my garden with a chainsaw and cut branches off 2 trees. They were not overhanging or anywhere near his land. The other neighbour told me it was him but is scared of him so I can't say who I got the information off or do anything about it.

• Wow
Not really. I think the woman is harmless but she has an on/off situation with the father of her 2 kids and when he’s there he shouts at her/the kids, plays his reggae music, smokes weed, walks up and down the street on his phone shouting. It’s fine when he’s not there although she has her moments with her loud music (Sunday nights at 11pm 🙄).

I’m aiming to get a car next year and there’s no where to park it as we don’t have drives and there’s 1 house that has 5 cars parked all over the street! It’s pot luck if you can park outside your own house. Whenever I get a taxi I have to ask the taxi to drop me off at the corner because they can’t get down the road sometimes.

It's only a small hamlet where I live and new people are not necessarily accepted. I wasn't, what they didn't know they made up. I was behind a hedge gardening when I heard two of the gossips speculating who's car was at the top of the lane. It was decided that he must be in my bed. Then the owner returned with his dog, so it was then changed into he must have been with me prior to walking the dog. I got on well with one neighbour, that was because he came from Liverpool and the didn't like him either. We were at it like rabbits according to gossips. He was 86 at the time, I was around 35. A lovely private couple were also victims of the gossips. They were not man and wife but brother and sister. They were mortified when I told them.

• Haha
  • Wow
The second place we lived our neighbours were a nightmare, it gave me such bad anxiety and I know this might sound extreme but I think I have some sort of PTSD from it, I get really edgy now if I hear loud music late or night or see someone parked somewhere they shouldn’t be, they were hell.
I feel this on every level.
My previous neighbours were hell. I had the police round on numerous occasions because of them. I definitely have PTSD from ours. The anxiety bad neighbours cause is horrific. I still find it hard going in my own garden now because in previous house we would get hoards of abuse over the fence. I won't be out in the front garden alone just in case and we moved out 2 years ago , and our new side neighbours are fine.
Also i occasionally drive past him and my anxiety goes crazy and I have to pull over and calm down. I was speaking to my husband about it actually and I honestly think I need therapy to get over it 🙈

• Sad
I feel this on every level.
My previous neighbours were hell. I had the police round on numerous occasions because of them. I definitely have PTSD from ours. The anxiety bad neighbours cause is horrific. I still find it hard going in my own garden now because in previous house we would get hoards of abuse over the fence. I won't be out in the front garden alone just in case and we moved out 2 years ago , and our new side neighbours are fine.
Also i occasionally drive past him and my anxiety goes crazy and I have to pull over and calm down. I was speaking to my husband about it actually and I honestly think I need therapy to get over it 🙈
I’m so sorry. I absolutely know how you feel and yep I’ve thought about therapy for it too. I feel it actually changed me as a person, I never suffered too much from anxiety before and since that experience I am such an anxious person now, I only really started suffering with it in that house and it hasn’t gone away. This may sound silly but I went from feeling quite safe in the world to feeling like I’m not safe at all, I feel like people are going to attack me all the time, your home should be your safe place and when it’s not it can have such an impact. Our neighbours now truly are lovely and we’ve never had a single problem but I still worry about falling out with them or annoying them, I’m not sure I could cope with it.

• Sad
To the right are fine, nice polite people to chat to but keep themselves to themselves. To the left we have had no end of problems. They damaged my drive twice by having items dragged down it by using it as their own and also their family kept parking on it. Its not a shared one its mine and I'd come home and struggle to get down my own path. Also the woman kept banging on all the time about various family members and their health problems etc. I've got enough on my plate without listening to all that.
Her husband kept coming out and swearing at me and I got the Police involved in the end because I thought he had some type of dementia. Anyway they don't talk to us now and its an utter relief and all their family have stopped parking on my drive.

• Sad
We live in a cul de sac so you can’t fart without everyone knowing :rolleyes: Literally everyone knows everyone’s business.

Actual neighbours. They are ok-ish. The ones to the left of us... their house is what I can only can compare to a breeding ground for their ever revolving amount of dogs.... they get dogs let them have litters sell the pups then sell the dogs... say they aren’t having anymore pets and then low and Behold.... they get new ones. Never worked a day in their life but yet buy expensive breeds at about 2-3 grand a time.
used to have a low fence and they Used to hang bags of dog tit on not in individual sacks but pick it up with a bucket and spade and put in a co-op bag on the fence the smell was unbearable.... we’ve now got a normal height fence so that fixed that.
However now they’ve built their decking so high they are head and shoulders over the fence. Even worse when they have grandchildren round and they are in the play house (on stilts you know the tall ones open underneath) they can literally step over if they wanted too.
When we went on holiday they uploaded a photo on social media of their sons new car they brought him... parked in Our bay (that doesn’t bother me)however the ground was wet (middle of summer had no rain) from washing it.... using our water from the outside tap and our hose just laying on the ground next to it... were the only ones with an outside tap. So from now on whenever we go out we turn the water off completely as they then started using our water also to fill their hot tub. Made it obvious when they knocked and asked why our tap wasn’t working.

Neighbour otherside is ok..... only thing is she knocks constantly asking for tit... Saturday it was for milk Sunday it was gravy... I’m not nasty and would help anyone and she said she was up to her eyeballs in debt and crying.So do help her out... well did .. Monday morning out the front smoking tailor made fags and gloating about getting another chinchilla how she got a bargain on it for £250

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 11
I think it’s best to just keep to hello terms with neighbours. It never ends well if you get pally with them. In my experience they just end up taking the piss! I’ve got my friends and don’t want my neighbours as friends really.

Reactions: 9
I get on with mine for the most part. Our street is quite small, only 6 houses so we all talk, say hello etc but we do have one issue. One house has 5 cars and are extremely selfish, they take up 3 spaces on purpose if someone is out so when they return they get to park close to their home. I have a small child and there's been occasions where I have to park in another street and walk home with my child in the pouring rain. We also have some elderly neighbours, and they've also had to walk from the other street and they have poor mobility. I've started to rant sometimes when I've come home with a food shop and had to park in the middle of the road, take my shopping in and then drive to the other street.

• Sad