Divorce - funny and not so funny!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If you're as unlucky as me, sweet f all for the next 10 months.

If your ex is more sensisible than mine, it could be straightforward from here. An agreement is decided on and it is heard in court (you don't have to be there, it's not the same as settling in court). It can take approx 3 months to get to that point I think. You then get 56 days to complete, then a few weeks later you get. your Decree Absolute.
Thank you!! Sadly not very sensible annd making it very hard and bitter my solicitor says it will have to go to court his offers are too low for a round table and hes ‘forgotten’ two bank accounts 🤬 just want him out the house so I can be free.
I wish I could click my fingers and it be done
I hope you get some better luck soon ❤

• Angry
Reactions: 2
Thank you!! Sadly not very sensible annd making it very hard and bitter my solicitor says it will have to go to court his offers are too low for a round table and hes ‘forgotten’ two bank accounts 🤬 just want him out the house so I can be free.
I wish I could click my fingers and it be done
I hope you get some better luck soon ❤
Sorry to hear that. It's just so crap isn't it.

My ex has done everything possible to delay. Every time I think we're close to sorting it, he then asks more things and throws more obstacles in the way. It's very draining.

He's currently taken to referring to me as Ms and using my maiden name in messages. I haven't changed my name back and don't intend to. I assume he's trying to pressure me or something. It's just very weird behaviour.

I'd like to think I'll be divorced by the time we reach two years of separation but I'm not hopeful at the moment.

My ex has done everything possible to delay. Every time I think we're close to sorting it, he then asks more things and throws more obstacles in the way. It's very draining.

He's currently taken to referring to me as Ms and using my maiden name in messages. I haven't changed my name back and don't intend to. I assume he's trying to pressure me or something. It's just very weird behaviour.

I'd like to think I'll be divorced by the time we reach two years of separation but I'm not hopeful at the moment.
My ex keeps making comments about changing my name too but I’ve made it clear I won’t chnage as it’s the name my kids have and he can’t make me but he did another comment today, weird isn’t it! To actually call you by your maiden name is a different level though!

mine likes having control over me still and part of me knows that’s why he does all this so he doesn’t have to leave yet. I’ve had slammed doors and comments tonight because I’m going out tomorrow night, planned for months it’s just with a friend but he just doesn’t like not knowing things so he acts a non for a few days before he finds out what I did.

I have everything crossed for you 🤞🏼

Reactions: 1
My ex keeps making comments about changing my name too but I’ve made it clear I won’t chnage as it’s the name my kids have and he can’t make me but he did another comment today, weird isn’t it! To actually call you by your maiden name is a different level though!

mine likes having control over me still and part of me knows that’s why he does all this so he doesn’t have to leave yet. I’ve had slammed doors and comments tonight because I’m going out tomorrow night, planned for months it’s just with a friend but he just doesn’t like not knowing things so he acts a non for a few days before he finds out what I did.

I genuinely don't know how you're still living with him. You clearly have more tolerance than me lol. I asked my ex to move out after initially saying he could stay until he found somewhere else, because it became so obvious was going to make life unbearable and would twist any reality of the situation into him some how being the victim.

I really hope your situation gets sorted swiftly so you can begin to rebuild and move on. You must feel very frustrated at being stuck x

I genuinely don't know how you're still living with him. You clearly have more tolerance than me lol. I asked my ex to move out after initially saying he could stay until he found somewhere else, because it became so obvious was going to make life unbearable and would twist any reality of the situation into him some how being the victim.

I really hope your situation gets sorted swiftly so you can begin to rebuild and move on. You must feel very frustrated at being stuck x
He won’t leave, point blank refuses too. He kicked off after the form e’s were switched shouting at me then suddenly he switched started filming me and rocking on the bed saying I’m abusing him I need to leave. Then stopped filming and laughed at me and walked out the house. I still don’t really understand what happened, speechless.

thank you!

• Wow

I changed my own name as soon as I decided I'd had enough of his tit and betrayals then took MY NAME back again, I changed my passport and everything. Actually if I could have changed the kid's names I would have because they did not deserve to be saddled with his but obviously I couldn't, however the relief of knowing I had MY NAME back was the start of getting over it all, a step forwards to beginning again with the children& actually these days so many children have different surnames to their Mothers it doesn't mean a thing. Take your name back Jojoo and tell the creep to stick His poxy name where the sun don't shine - liberation will be yours!!! :)

He won’t leave, point blank refuses too. He kicked off after the form e’s were switched shouting at me then suddenly he switched started filming me and rocking on the bed saying I’m abusing him I need to leave. Then stopped filming and laughed at me and walked out the house. I still don’t really understand what happened, speechless.

thank you!
That's awful (and very similar to my experience sadly). I'm a bit worried for you because once people start doing that it can escalate.

The advice I was given was to write everything that happens down. If there's any proof of the things he does then send copies to a trusted person. I appreciate the latter is not that easy when things happen very suddenly, especially when they are so odd that it scrambles your brain a bit.

It may also be worth contacting Women's Aid (I found them very helpful). What he's doing falls under coercive control and at least talking to them would give you some extra support.

We're going into court today to have the judge rule on our divorce settlement which we reached on Tuesday. The last time the judge refused to divorce us as she said I wasn't properly provided for and was too exposed financially. I was devastated. Hoping this time it'll be different. I didn't want to ask for anything but had to, on the advice of my solicitor, or the same thing would happen again. It still isn't much but my ex is still fuming he has to pay anything. Really hoping I can leave the court today a free woman. It's been 11 years since we first separated, so long overdue.
---

I'm not changing my name back either as it's my children's name and I want to have the same name as them. All my documents are in my marriage name and that's what I've been referred to by for the past 18 years. Tbh I don't particularly like my maiden name either as people always misspelled it. My marriage name is a very common one here in Ireland so everyone knows how to spell it thankfully.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
I have one of those Irish names nobody can spell anyway so in combo with my maiden name I was always one of those "EH????" jobbies. In any case when I remarried I had a different name anyway to my children but they were still mine regardless; Each to their own :)

We're going into court today to have the judge rule on our divorce settlement which we reached on Tuesday. The last time the judge refused to divorce us as she said I wasn't properly provided for and was too exposed financially. I was devastated. Hoping this time it'll be different. I didn't want to ask for anything but had to, on the advice of my solicitor, or the same thing would happen again. It still isn't much but my ex is still fuming he has to pay anything. Really hoping I can leave the court today a free woman. It's been 11 years since we first separated, so long overdue.
---

I'm not changing my name back either as it's my children's name and I want to have the same name as them. All my documents are in my marriage name and that's what I've been referred to by for the past 18 years. Tbh I don't particularly like my maiden name either as people always misspelled it. My marriage name is a very common one here in Ireland so everyone knows how to spell it thankfully.
Good luck!! 🤞🏼❤ let us know

Reactions: 3
---

Hope you got the result you wanted!

Hope you got the result you wanted!
Yes thank you, it was actually quite amicable in the end and we shook hands (my ex and I) and he thanked me for what I said in court in his defence (judge was a bit tricky re some financial aspects). No more court dates now thankfully and officially divorced.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
You lot will like this... my soon to be Ex's latest suggestion (via solicitor, which almost makes it worse) is that we keep our joint account and I get the Child Benefit paid into it as well as the maintenance and from that account we can buy things like uniform and swimming lessons etc. Oh and we have to get agreement from the other person to spend it.

This is a man who does not have shared custody, he never has his children overnight and doesn't have them for very long periods of time when he does see them (usually one at a time for a couple of hours). He doesn't buy uniform or pay for swimming lessons. I do.

He's off his head and I'm astounded his solicitor had allowed him to ask for such a thing to continue.

I'm divorcing you, you twit. I don't want to be connected to you financially. All this and he also got into debt a lot so no thank you, I don't wish to be linked to you. Madness. Just madness.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
You lot will like this... my soon to be Ex's latest suggestion (via solicitor, which almost makes it worse) is that we keep our joint account and I get the Child Benefit paid into it as well as the maintenance and from that account we can buy things like uniform and swimming lessons etc. Oh and we have to get agreement from the other person to spend it.

This is a man who does not have shared custody, he never has his children overnight and doesn't have them for very long periods of time when he does see them (usually one at a time for a couple of hours). He doesn't buy uniform or pay for swimming lessons. I do.

He's off his head and I'm astounded his solicitor had allowed him to ask for such a thing to continue.

I'm divorcing you, you twit. I don't want to be connected to you financially. All this and he also got into debt a lot so no thank you, I don't wish to be linked to you. Madness. Just madness.
Could be that he just doesn't listen to his solicitor's sound advice. My ex was on his 3rd solicitor by the time we divorced. Make of that what you will. Hope you get sorted and manage to extricate yourself soon.

Could be that he just doesn't listen to his solicitor's sound advice. My ex was on his 3rd solicitor by the time we divorced. Make of that what you will. Hope you get sorted and manage to extricate yourself soon.
It may well be that. He dispatched of our mediator very quickly too. I just can't do this for much longer. How do I escape someone like this? It makes me so cross that I allowed this to happen. Nobody liked him. Everyone had said they wondered why I married him.
The week before we got married he punched the windscreen of the car whilst he was driving and literally shattered it (we were having an argument) but I put it down to the very awful family bereavement we'd experienced.

I've just had enough.

• Heart
  • Sad
It may well be that. He dispatched of our mediator very quickly too. I just can't do this for much longer. How do I escape someone like this? It makes me so cross that I allowed this to happen. Nobody liked him. Everyone had said they wondered why I married him.
The week before we got married he punched the windscreen of the car whilst he was driving and literally shattered it (we were having an argument) but I put it down to the very awful family bereavement we'd experienced.

I've just had enough.
Hey we've all been blind to red flags. Happens to everyone. Don't beat yourself up. Better to split up late than never. Wishing you the very best and hope the process is completed as soon as is possible.

• Heart
His solicitor went awhol a few weeks ago….. turned out her husband caught her sleeping with two other men and she’s off work for the foreseeable

• Wow

He's taking the piss!!! This is just another way to keep tabs on you plus making sure he knows exactly what you are spending money on - absolutely do not allow this to happen!

My belovéd ex tried the Joint Custody malarkey on our two which was his means of keeping tabs on me via the children, but luckily I had a very supportive social worker appointed during our malicious divorce proceedings, so you can imagine that idea was removed pronto, in fact he wouldn't have got custody of a used teabag by the time they'd finished with him! :LOL: With the appalling way he'd behaved throughout our 7 year marriage and our two kids there could have been no other result, however he was vain enough to think that he'd get what he wanted simply "Because". WRONG!
To allow this bloke this would be a huge error and I'm glad that you are having NONE of it!

• Heart
We did not have children but were together a long time. I knew for a long time he was having an affair before I confronted him. He left & his actions made me so poorly and ill for so long.
After around a year he said he would like for us to be friends. I categorically said no.
But after a couple of years I realised I did miss him & that he knew me very well.
We are now on good terms. I can forgive him because in part I know he will never forgive himself for the damage he did me.
But I found hating him exhausting & time consuming.
When a relationship ends it’s never exclusively one persons fault. Oh, 85% it was his for sure! But I wasn’t blameless.
And I know once he loved me very much.
I’m no wilting violet, I can hold my own, but for my own mental health I had to make peace with him.

• Heart
Last time I spoke to my kid's "father" was 15 years ago at our son's wedding and that was about four words. There was nothing left to say to him, the children were adults with their own lives anyway plus he had been summarily erased years beforehand
Whats that adage?
"Wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire!" Exactement!