Discontent #8 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry for another Oodie post, I’m sick of hearing about them myself. But is £49-£59 a good deal or shall I wait ‘til the Black Friday sales?
Best price I’ve seen was April there was a buy one get one free on certain ones so was £42 each (£84 for the two)

Reactions: 1
I’m so cold tonight! It’s really windy but I have to have the trickle vents open on the windows or I end up with really bad condensation which leads to mould 🙁

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Sorry for another Oodie post, I’m sick of hearing about them myself. But is £49-£59 a good deal or shall I wait ‘til the Black Friday sales?
Can’t speak for Oodie but work in e-commerce so have plenty of Black Fridays under my belt and honestly, eh, like it’s definitely not what it was in the early 2010s so not worth holding your breath for imo I would just buy at whatever discount they’re providing now. Increasingly we run promos in the weeks/months ahead of BF as customers are delaying purchase until then. BF itself is also increasingly long where we’re either under or over performing forecast. But honestly wouldn’t expect anything in (not fast) fashion/lifestyle to exceed the usual 10-20% off codes and/or free shipping, maybe a GWP that’s actually just overstock / a “Christmas exclusive” bundle of a few diff items of overstock too, or those increasingly complex voucher mechanisms. Nothing to write home about and I don’t even think I’ve shopped Black Friday for at least the last 3 years tbh and that’s with knowing what everyone is doing ahead of time, nothing is ever that brill tbh.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Thanks everyone, I’ll buy one today. I could do with one this morning as it’s so chilly here.

I bought a load of thick teddy pyjamas off asos for next to nothing recently as they often do 25% off sale items, think I paid as little as £8 for some teddy jogger sets. I’ll be waddling around like a fleece blimp 🐑

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Any recommendations for a king size electric blanket with dual controls & preferably a timer/automatic switch off function? My bf has decided he wants one so having to upgrade from just having a single on my side of the bed. Thanks!

Reactions: 1
My pension is dropping like a stone. It was worth piss all before. At this rate I am going to end up having to pay the pension company when I retire!

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
My pension is dropping like a stone. It was worth piss all before. At this rate I am going to end up having to pay the pension company when I retire!
Mines lost 10% of its value in the last few months, barely had anything to begin with!
I’ve pretty much come to terms with the fact that I’ll never be able to retire

• Sad
Reactions: 8
One of my smaller ones I can see on my online banking and I'm sure it's dropped over 15% in the last year. I dread to think how my main one is performing.

Realistically most of us under 40 will never retire. The days of final salary pensions put pay to that. Plus most of us will have to support our parents and children like never before.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
The bank of England have been way too slow to react and share the blame for the current situation. While the fed was rising rates 0.75% they weeks later were just doing 0.25%. They've been on the back foot for ages now and an emergency rate to bring it closer to the fed seems very possible.

They were going on about inflation just being transitory and likely to reduce soon, which was so obviously BS.

Reactions: 9
We fixed our mortgage back in July for 5 years. It doesnt take effect until December and we will be paying around £80 per month more than currently but that seems amazing compared to whats coming 😳

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
It feels like this was a matter of time. House prices continued to spiral out of control while interest rates were near zero and people assumed that 0 rates were the future rather than the life support.

Looks more like they'll do a 0.5% increase next week, from what the markets are pricing in. Mortgages will probably be back tomorrow with this priced in.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
I fixed my mortgage at a sub prime rate for 5 years back in 2020, which now looks cheap. My aim is to overpay as much as I'm allowed next year to have a low capital when the rate ends.

People will lose their homes over this.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
Around where I live house prices are still insane. Easily 200k more than what they were pre covid. Everyone is building houses in their gardens. One near us is in the middle of building 3 x 3 bed houses in not a large area around his existing house. They will probably go on at 600k a piece even though we are on the edge of a hugely deprived area. The Whole area is being ruined with over development due to the thought of cashing in for these people with slightly larger gardens but there always seems to be some idiot willing to pay the huge prices because it’s near some woodland. Don’t know where all of this will end but I’m still seeing people around here (again really poor area overall) in places like home bargains, the range and b&m with huge trolleys full of unnecessary stuff. The prices in those kind of places have really crept up too but there’s always long lines at each till. So the effects aren’t clear yet but I’ve cut back big time on all but necessary spending.

Reactions: 3
I currently have a mortgage in principle with Halifax and I have no idea what this means for me. I’ll have to call my mortgage advisor in the morning and find out

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
I currently have a mortgage in principle with Halifax and I have no idea what this means for me. I’ll have to call my mortgage advisor in the morning and find out
I think with AIP rates can change when the actual application for the mortgage is put through.

Is your AIP for a specific house and youre waiting to move?

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.