Discontent #8 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
New to the thread and not sure if this has been mentioned already but you can buy heated throws. I purchased one for £35 off weeklydeals4less which arrived today. They literally cost pennies to run. I think it worked out to about 3p an hour and I always hear people say "heat the person, not the house". If you can afford the £35 to buy one, I would definitely recommend it to keep you toasty in the winter and save you putting the heating on.

Reactions: 6
Have just seen this thread which is related to the above - just appalling

I despair at this. The budget seems crazy, with removing environmental protections and giving tax cuts to the very rich whilst so many people are struggling. It is ideology over logic and even economists (and the markets who responded to the tax cuts and lack of plan to pay for them by sending the pound crashing) don't think it's the right way to go. From the environmental point of view, it is tragic.

On a less depressing note, I've found that Topcashback sometimes gives discounts as well as cashback, I got 20% off something I was going to buy anyway.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
I’m really grateful for other comments also horrified at this, I did think twice before sharing it as I appreciate a lot of ppl have concerns much bigger and sadder than some birds or certain types of plants or timber framed houses. But it’s so bleeping bleak and we should want more for generations to come instead of selling it off cheap - and for what! A 50 year or 25% ownership mortgage for a v2 cladding ridden house that’ll probably have subsidence cos they scrapped the ground checks?? Bizarre.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
I feel I’m lucky and in the minority? My energy bills going down £52 a month from October, form £132 to £80 a month.
Me and my friend are planning on getting eachother an oodie for Christmas, I think I’ll ask her if she wants to do a super early Christmas present as we may as well get the use out of them during November/December.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I feel I’m lucky and in the minority? My energy bills going down £52 a month from October, form £132 to £80 a month.
Me and my friend are planning on getting eachother an oodie for Christmas, I think I’ll ask her if she wants to do a super early Christmas present as we may as well get the use out of them during November/December.
I imagine there will be good Black Friday deals!

Reactions: 3
I’m really grateful for other comments also horrified at this, I did think twice before sharing it as I appreciate a lot of ppl have concerns much bigger and sadder than some birds or certain types of plants or timber framed houses. But it’s so bleeping bleak and we should want more for generations to come instead of selling it off cheap - and for what! A 50 year or 25% ownership mortgage for a v2 cladding ridden house that’ll probably have subsidence cos they scrapped the ground checks?? Bizarre.
Everyone should be horrified! It’s not just some birds and plants. We are part of nature and more species loss affects us all. For everyone who thinks they don’t care they’d soon be eating their words (cause that’s all that would be left!) when they are running out of food because of pollinator loss. I could go on but that’s for another thread. I have a masters in conservation biology so I recognise I’m biased here but it gives me the absolute rage when people say they don’t care about nature and don’t accept that we depend upon it for our very survival. We need to educate people on just how vital conservation is, we absolutely do not need more concrete and tax breaks for rich cunts 😡

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I obviously get the idea of heating the person and not the house for the most part but I do worry, especially after the pandemic etc, about the risks of respiratory problems from breathing cold and possibly damp air in their homes all winter. It’s miserable.

Reactions: 14
Have just seen this thread which is related to the above - just appalling

Unpopular opinion coming up, but the changes seem a "could mean" and "could lead to" at the moment because there's not enough to judge it on yet.

As I said in my last post I don't trust the gov or many charities. As much as the charities do work I support, they also love a campaign to jump on and to mislead as it validates their existence. Sadly they do often exaggerate or jump to the worst possible outcome that has next to no likelihood of happening.

It makes it hard to know when there's a real issue. The environment is currently being destroyed at an alarming rate. So many developments around here and there just about all on what was green land

This is what the gov have said:

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) dismissed the claims, tweeting: “We have a plan for economic growth. It is not true to claim we are attacking nature nor going back on our commitments.

“We have legislated through the Environment Act and will continue to improve our regulations and wildlife laws in line with our ambitious vision.”

A Defra spokesperson added: “Farmers are brilliant at producing high-quality food for consumption at home and for export and now we need them to go further, as productivity gains have been flat for many years.

“To boost the rural economy, food production and our food security, we will continue to support farmers and land managers by reviewing farm regulation, boosting investment and innovation in the sector.

“This autumn we will set out our plans for working with industry to maximise the long-term productivity, resilience, competitiveness, and environmental stewardship of the British countryside.”

A Treasury spokesperson claimed that investment zones will “enable locally elected leaders to set out bold new visions for their areas, and we want to ensure that they have every tool available to them in driving forwards local growth.”

They added: “The government remains committed to setting a new legally binding target to halt the decline of biodiversity in England by 2030.

Reactions: 2
Unpopular opinion coming up, but the changes seem a "could mean" and "could lead to" at the moment because there's not enough to judge it on yet.

As I said in my last post I don't trust the gov or many charities. As much as the charities do work I support, they also love a campaign to jump on and to mislead as it validates their existence. Sadly they do often exaggerate or jump to the worst possible outcome that has next to no likelihood of happening.

It makes it hard to know when there's a real issue. The environment is currently being destroyed at an alarming rate. So many developments around here and there just about all on what was green land

This is what the gov have said:

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) dismissed the claims, tweeting: “We have a plan for economic growth. It is not true to claim we are attacking nature nor going back on our commitments.

“We have legislated through the Environment Act and will continue to improve our regulations and wildlife laws in line with our ambitious vision.”

A Defra spokesperson added: “Farmers are brilliant at producing high-quality food for consumption at home and for export and now we need them to go further, as productivity gains have been flat for many years.

“To boost the rural economy, food production and our food security, we will continue to support farmers and land managers by reviewing farm regulation, boosting investment and innovation in the sector.

“This autumn we will set out our plans for working with industry to maximise the long-term productivity, resilience, competitiveness, and environmental stewardship of the British countryside.”

A Treasury spokesperson claimed that investment zones will “enable locally elected leaders to set out bold new visions for their areas, and we want to ensure that they have every tool available to them in driving forwards local growth.”

They added: “The government remains committed to setting a new legally binding target to halt the decline of biodiversity in England by 2030.
I know and agree but we shouldn’t have a government where these sorts of situations are even on the cards. And as well as the environment I dread to think what’ll happen to buildings of historical/cultural significance if building permissions are loosened up.

I know and agree but we shouldn’t have a government where these sorts of situations are even on the cards. And as well as the environment I dread to think what’ll happen to buildings of historical/cultural significance if building permissions are loosened up.
Oh I totally agree. I worry so much about the environment as is, what happened to all the insects you used to get on your car? I fully believe there's been a collapse in the number of insects and that'll have far reaching effects.

Screenshot 2022-09-25 11.43.02.png

Although I don't think the new changes will affect the enviornment that much more than it has already. Haven't they been trying to build a tunnel for stone henge since the 70's? Seems a complicated picture if it's actually good or bad for heritage.

Oh I totally agree. I worry so much about the environment as is, what happened to all the insects you used to get on your car? I fully believe there's been a collapse in the number of insects and that'll have far reaching effects.

View attachment 1603781

Although I don't think the new changes will affect the enviornment that much more than it has already. Haven't they been trying to build a tunnel for stone henge since the 70's? Seems a complicated picture if it's actually good or bad for heritage.
I was thinking about insects recently. I remember on holidays the windscreen would be covered after a long journey. I think it is very worrying. I try to have some insect friendly plants but they don't seem to attract many insects. All I get is greenfly and things that want to eat my veggies.

I spent today yesterday/today batch cooking lasagne. This is enough for 3 people for 7 meals, two lunches for me at work, plus I took a portion of the ragu last night and we had with pasta & another lunch for me.

Dinner.jpg

Reactions: 18
If you look at charts to show population growth or how quickly fosil fuels are being extracted and burnt compared to how long they took to form it makes it all seem so futile. Driving to the gym in a Tesla wearing recycled plastic sustainable sportswear will make duck all difference 😬

• Sad
Reactions: 16
If you look at charts to show population growth or how quickly fosil fuels are being extracted compared to how long they took to form it makes it all seem so futile. Driving to the gym in a Tesla wearing recycled plastic sustainable sportswear will make duck all difference 😬
This’ll seem so petty but last night we were watching a Mr Beast video on YouTube where he dropped a prefab house into a circle and made a bloke live in it for 100 days for half a mil, the whole thing is disgusting his whole schtick is just vile, but he had mates who were just needlessly destroying the house, they cut it in two at one point and were smashing windows in. It’s such a theme in YouTube content and especially these big American creators it truly makes you despair, I’m slowly trying to make our family greener but lbr making compost from food waste isn’t going to do diddly to offset tit like that. I felt the same disappointment seeing Naomi Campbell fronting a H&M campaign, like whyyyyyyy when you could use your massive influence for so much good!

Reactions: 8
Sorry for another Oodie post, I’m sick of hearing about them myself. But is £49-£59 a good deal or shall I wait ‘til the Black Friday sales?

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Sorry for another Oodie post, I’m sick of hearing about them myself. But is £49-£59 a good deal or shall I wait ‘til the Black Friday sales?
I’m not sure they would go much cheaper than that really and you might not get as much choice if they are very popular and sell out quickly. Plus you’ll miss out on the warmth you could be experiencing now waiting around until Black Friday. I bought one recently on sale and recommend them.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.