Discontent #8 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve got a wine fridge. It looks nice the kitchen 😂
We have a wine fridge. We have wine in there and in the fridge.

I live with an Italian. It was either that or he was going to start digging out the back garden to make a cellar to keep it in.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Looking for advice re drafts.

I noticed a real draft coming from our living room windows this morning (it is very windy where we are today). Is there something like a screen or temporary seal that I can put across them to plug in the gaps I suspect that are caused by a bad fitting?

Should also add that we would like to open the windows now and again if that makes any difference.

Disclaimer: we moved into this house a year ago and started to uncover all the quirks left behind by its previous owner!

There's Tesamoll for pretty much this exact purpose - I'm not sure how much it costs, sorry, but I'm sure there are also similar product off-brand.
You can also often re-adjust windows on the hinges as they tend to skew a bit over time.

Reactions: 1
Pretty much all my friends and family have their heating so hot I can’t stand being in it. One relative has their heating on at least 25 and then it gets so hot they open all the windows… heating still on. I have to wear suitable clothes to visit as it’s boiling in there. Another spends the winter abroad for 3 months, keeps their bungalow at 24 the whole time. I visit my parents and see it’s set to 25 all the winter. I was often really cold as a child as the house was open to the elements, so I don’t want to be that way again. But we also have never been able to afford the kind of usage everyone around us does and to be honest I’d rather spend the money on something else anyway, I’ve always thought it was so excessive and just a waste of money 🤷‍♀️ Personal choices I guess
Mine rarely goes above 19 degrees! I have it on to take the chill away for a few hours, and I wear hoodies etc to warm myself. Between the two things, that's sufficient. I can't have heating blasting at 24 all day and night, it would affect my breathing plus cost a fortune.

It's not natural to have artificial heat at a constant 24 degrees all day and night.

Reactions: 2
We have a wine fridge. We have wine in there and in the fridge.

I live with an Italian. It was either that or he was going to start digging out the back garden to make a cellar to keep it in.
It's a beer fridge in our house because we're not that posh!!

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I'm 34 and grew up without central heating upstairs in my house, and old sash windows that rattled and let all the cold air in. It's not that bad honestly.
I agree people are spending too much really. I was looking into getting a dehumidifier or heated airer but everything I read said it's not worth it if you already have a tumbler dryer as you won't save enough to justify the extra cost.
Oh that's good to know, as I have a tumble dryer and use it sparingly. But I was debating getting a dehumidifier but won't now if its not gonna save me money

I don't know anyone with a wine cooler or an extra drinks fridge. Who would have thought that putting drinks in a regular fridge could be sold as journalism? I'm in the wrong profession.... what I could teach people!
Today: You don't need to go to a thermal bath to shower, you can do it in your own shower at home.
My mum has a drinks fridge, but only because when my stepdad was alive he was an alcoholic (as is mother) so main fridge was for food and her alcohol and mini fridge was for his alcohol 😂

Last edited:
My in-laws have, since the day I met them, always had an incredibly HOT house. They would have the heating set to about 23/24 degrees and have it on OVERNIGHT. It was unbearable for sleeping in, and I would be a sweaty puddle by the end of a meal if we ate round there.
In our house the heating only comes on if the house drops below about 17, and overnight it would need to drop below 14 to come on (so very rarely does). They would always make little digs if my daughter got ill, like "Maybe she wouldn't catch so many colds if your house was a bit warmer" :LOL:

• Wow
Reactions: 7
We need a dehumidifier otherwise we have problems with damp. It's 600 watt & kicks out a surprising amount of heat, I use it to dry washing & residual warmth for our lounge. Only use tumble dryer for bedding & towels now, it's a newish A rated machine but I'm guessing it's probably at least 2-3kwh use for well over an hour, so much more expensive than the dehumidifier to run (with no warmth generated as an extra).

Reactions: 3
Apparently life expectancy peaked with the children that went through the wartime rations. Some studies say there's a link between calorie restriction and longevity.

Obviously no one should go cold or hungry, but there might be some truth in has benefits (at certain levels).

Screenshot_20221010_140052.jpg

Reactions: 5
Apparently life expectancy peaked with the children that went through the wartime rations. Some studies say there's a link between calorie restriction and longevity.

Obviously no one should go cold or hungry, but there might be some truth in has benefits (at certain levels).

View attachment 1640016
looking forward to my 4oz of lard and 1 egg a week

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Some do think the UK diet peaked during the war with certain things rationed
1665409483634.png

Reactions: 8
We've not got our voucher yet, As I believe thats how British Gas are giving it to those on prepay meters. The website says we should get it by the 11th so hoping it arrives Tomorrow.

View attachment 1640097
I come from a long line of butchers. During the war and post war when rationing still existed people would eat just about anything to extend their rations. My grandad would tell me stories of what they used to sell and what people would queue round the streets for. Those who only eat nicely prepared chicken breasts wrapped in plastic would be in for a massive shock

• Haha
Reactions: 11
We've not got our voucher yet, As I believe thats how British Gas are giving it to those on prepay meters. The website says we should get it by the 11th so hoping it arrives Tomorrow.
British Gas put mine straight onto my smart metre last week.

We live in a mid terrace and the back rooms don’t get much sunlight in the winter. The lounge downstairs and my office upstairs, the screens are always brighter than the rooms so I find myself having to turn the light on in the middle of the day or it hurts my eyes. Just wondering does anyone use floor lamps instead of having main lights on and does it make a difference to the amount of electricity used? Or is it dependant on getting decent lightbulbs?

British Gas put mine straight onto my smart metre last week.
We've the old style as Mum is against smart meters 🤣 According to Twitter we should get it 17th.
For electric we tried the stocking up before it goes up option, so we will be just adding it to our key & putting it in the meter once its down to pennies.

View attachment 1640097
I vaguely remember watching a series called 1940's house and the children loved the homemade rissoles whatever they are. Think it was set in Otley near Leeds.
It changed the mother's life as she used to waste loads of food before doing that programme.

I vaguely remember watching a series called 1940's house and the children loved the homemade rissoles whatever they are. Think it was set in Otley near Leeds.
It changed the mother's life as she used to waste loads of food before doing that programme.
I remember that! I tried to find it streaming somewhere ages ago but didn't have any luck. The portions of food they were having before they did the experiment were gigantic. Definitely an eye-opener.

I've a bit of an odd passion for old cookbooks and by old I mean 1800's and the like. Rissoles are pretty often mentioned there. I love reading them, it's a totally different experience from modern cookbooks - straight to business, no essays of why someone is making a dish and it's really interesting how many dishes they made with a considerably smaller variety of food. Preparing all those dishes mostly by hand is also really cool. They didn't waste anything, which I love. I can't sand food waste.

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.