Discontent #8 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had no central heating at all until I was 18. And even now, my house is under 10 degrees over winter and only about 22 in summer. No double glazing. As a society we’ve forgotten it’s a very recent thing to have heating like we do and completely lost the ability to cope without it (which actually isn’t all that hard if you are used to it). More effort sure, but eventually your body does adapt.

Reactions: 16
I had no central heating at all until I was 18. And even now, my house is under 10 degrees over winter and only about 22 in summer. As a society we’ve forgotten it’s a very recent thing to have heating like we do and completely lost the ability to cope without it (which actually isn’t all that hard if you are used to it).
I really dislike thinking like this. Just because heating may be a ‘recent’ thing, doesn’t mean we all don’t deserve to be able to afford it. Electricity and having an abundance of food in the shop is also fairly recent and we all deserve that too. Basic human rights.

Reactions: 37
I really dislike thinking like this. Just because heating may be a ‘recent’ thing, doesn’t mean we all don’t deserve to be able to afford it. Electricity and having an abundance of food in the shop is also fairly recent and we all deserve that too. Basic human rights.
Did I say we don’t deserve it? Don’t put words into my mouth. Id also thank you to not suggest I’m saying starvation is ok just because people used to.

All I’m saying is there are steps people can take to get through it, for the majority it isn’t the instant death they suggest. You do find ways to cope and while you might not be happy about it, it’s the reality we are facing so it is sensible to seek advice from people before us who did without.

Its not actually normal or healthy to be living in sweltering houses of 20+ but it’s what people have become accustomed to now. I’d actually argue most people I know in less centrally heated homes get colds and bugs far less often than those with warmer living environments. (Yes I know this obviously doesn’t apply to everyone).

And before boomers get more of the blame, I’m 30.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13
No one is even suggesting that anything is right about this. just trying to smooth out some fears.
You want to talk about fighting this, then I'm your girl or at least my daughter is as she has taken those reigns over, as my protesting on the street days are over.😂

Reactions: 3
Agree. I grew up poor and we went long periods without heating. It was awful. I used to lay awake at night, shivering. It impacted my education because I'd be falling asleep in class the next day.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
Agreed on the heating, we had no money in our family growing up (in my 30s). No central heating until I was 14. One fire in one room. It was pretty grim. Now my “boomer” parents have their central thermostat set to 24/25 and feel really entitled to it. 🙄 Perfectly fine to have a baby & child in a freezing house but now it’s considered a right to have the house absolutely stifling. It’s always a sore topic.

Reactions: 6
Agreed on the heating, we had no money in our family growing up (in my 30s). No central heating until I was 14. One fire in one room. It was pretty grim. Now my “boomer” parents have their central thermostat set to 24/25 and feel really entitled to it. 🙄 Perfectly fine to have a baby & child in a freezing house but now it’s considered a right to have the house absolutely stifling. It’s always a sore topic.
Weve recently had a baby and were told by family we have to move because it’s abusive to him living in a cold house (we do have central heating, it’s just an old farmhouse). Bearing in mind they raised me in a colder one and both them and all their relatives who came before them were the same. How do they think everyone survived until now?! 🫣😳

And for the record, he isn’t freezing. Again, it’s what you get used to. I do think as a society we take comforts to the point we forget what we are actually capable of and it becomes a detriment to us. Freezing ofcourse not but 25?!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
Daily mail female is back with more groundbreaking research. Who knew that a separate drinks fridge would use energy and that you could save this by putting drinks in your normal fridge?🤦‍♀️ Also who'd of thunk that robot Hoover's use as much energy as a normal hoover? People have them to save their own energy, they're not under some impression that fairies power them🤪.

Who has 5 security cameras attached to a recorder in 2022? I have one that uses 2w (so less than 2p a day) and it uploads to the cloud. Back in the 90s maybe they used that much energy!

Screenshot_20221010_090654.jpg

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I don't know anyone with a wine cooler or an extra drinks fridge. Who would have thought that putting drinks in a regular fridge could be sold as journalism? I'm in the wrong profession.... what I could teach people!
Today: You don't need to go to a thermal bath to shower, you can do it in your own shower at home.

Reactions: 8
It drops to 3 degrees tonight in the SE. You can put your Bolly in the garage to chill it for free 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 12
And for the record, he isn’t freezing. Again, it’s what you get used to. I do think as a society we take comforts to the point we forget what we are actually capable of and it becomes a detriment to us. Freezing ofcourse not but 25?!
Pretty much all my friends and family have their heating so hot I can’t stand being in it. One relative has their heating on at least 25 and then it gets so hot they open all the windows… heating still on. I have to wear suitable clothes to visit as it’s boiling in there. Another spends the winter abroad for 3 months, keeps their bungalow at 24 the whole time. I visit my parents and see it’s set to 25 all the winter. I was often really cold as a child as the house was open to the elements, so I don’t want to be that way again. But we also have never been able to afford the kind of usage everyone around us does and to be honest I’d rather spend the money on something else anyway, I’ve always thought it was so excessive and just a waste of money 🤷‍♀️ Personal choices I guess

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
I don't know anyone with a wine cooler or an extra drinks fridge. Who would have thought that putting drinks in a regular fridge could be sold as journalism? I'm in the wrong profession.... what I could teach people!
Today: You don't need to go to a thermal bath to shower, you can do it in your own shower at home.
I’ve got a wine fridge. It looks nice the kitchen 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Pretty much all my friends and family have their heating so hot I can’t stand being in it. One relative has their heating on at least 25 and then it gets so hot they open all the windows… heating still on. I have to wear suitable clothes to visit as it’s boiling in there. Another spends the winter abroad for 3 months, keeps their bungalow at 24 the whole time. I visit my parents and see it’s set to 25 all the winter. I was often really cold as a child as the house was open to the elements, so I don’t want to be that way again. But we also have never been able to afford the kind of usage everyone around us does and to be honest I’d rather spend the money on something else anyway, I’ve always thought it was so excessive and just a waste of money 🤷‍♀️ Personal choices I guess
Don’t get me wrong prior to this crisis I would absolutely smash the central heating without a second thought but it’d be 21/22 at absolute most, what tropical microclimates as these people making? Surely this must kill their plants? Their skin must be absolutely parched?! The minute you got up and did anything you’d be sweating 😳

Reactions: 5
We only had 1 room with heating when I was growing up (underfloor heating in front room). Didn’t get central heating til I was 15/16 (heat pump which is tit and eats money). Had single glazed wood windows for years, no insulation. For context, I’m 29 and grew up in a council house in Yorkshire. A lot of people still live in similar conditions.

Reactions: 7
Don’t get me wrong prior to this crisis I would absolutely smash the central heating without a second thought but it’d be 21/22 at absolute most, what tropical microclimates as these people making? Surely this must kill their plants? Their skin must be absolutely parched?! The minute you got up and did anything you’d be sweating 😳
Everyone has different perception of temperature though. 23-25 is perfect for me for sitting about. I live in Scotland and summer temperature outside is usually 17-22 degrees and I barely ever go out without a jacket or a hoodie. When everyone is complaining about 25-30 degrees heatwave, I finally feel warm enough.
Not being as relaxed with putting heating on this year and trying to be more mindful but heating is the last thing I'm gonna skimp on

My in-laws house gets insanely hot. They built a kitchen/living room extension and tend to live in there. It's got huge amounts of insulation so even though it's a big room with a high ceiling it stays warm. For whatever reason they don't have a thermostat so it just gets hotter and hotter. Then if you're cooking a meal the heat pumped out by the oven just makes it worse. Even in the dead of winter I'll be sat there in a vest top or whatever as I'm melting 😂

Reactions: 2
I guess after getting to 25c as long as it's kept on it'll be as efficient as 18 or 20 as the thermostat will just top it up every so often?

I have fond memories of visiting family as a child.

I have 2 aunts on my dad's side who were polar opposites when it came to heating.

One my mum would make us put on several layers even in summer.

The other we would be visiting in December wearing a summer dress 🤣

Even now the one who likes it warm I have to remind myself to dress in thinner clothes whenever I go to see her.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I have fond memories of visiting family as a child.

I have 2 aunts on my dad's side who were polar opposites when it came to heating.

One my mum would make us put on several layers even in summer.

The other we would be visiting in December wearing a summer dress 🤣

Even now the one who likes it warm I have to remind myself to dress in thinner clothes whenever I go to see her.
Same. 😂 When I know we’re going back to their house after a meal or something in winter I always make sure I wear a dress or skirt with tights then go to their bathroom & take my tights off 😂. I told her the other day we haven’t put our heating on at all yet… she was horrified.

• Wow
  • Haha
Looking for advice re drafts.

I noticed a real draft coming from our living room windows this morning (it is very windy where we are today). Is there something like a screen or temporary seal that I can put across them to plug in the gaps I suspect that are caused by a bad fitting?

Should also add that we would like to open the windows now and again if that makes any difference.

Disclaimer: we moved into this house a year ago and started to uncover all the quirks left behind by its previous owner!

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.