Discontent #7 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thanks, was reading it earlier .I’m still wondering how it will work if people have prepaid meters or payment cards will they have to contact every household to see how they pay or will they get the info from the energy company ? I think people were hoping it would be paid like the voucher scheme and they could use it how they wish…ETA just saw this
It will be interesting to see if it is actually rolled out for November, I’m highly skeptical 🤣 was the scheme in the uk means tested for the £400? I don’t think it was so I hope that means all of domestic electrical ones in NI will get it too

Reactions: 1
It will be interesting to see if it is actually rolled out for November, I’m highly skeptical 🤣 was the scheme in the uk means tested for the £400? I don’t think it was so I hope that means all of domestic electrical ones in NI will get it too
No it wasn’t, they said November at the earliest so we know what that means 😂

• Haha
I'm glad Germany can extend the life of their coal power stations as it's better than people having no power, but nothing to celebrate. It sadly only goes a tiny way to fill the energy needs this winter.

• Heart
Buying new winter duvets for the kids today Im always so excited for autumn /winter but im dreading it this year. My mum has an official oodie its so warm but i cant stretch to the proper ones for us all so going to look for decent copies

Reactions: 6
Buying new winter duvets for the kids today Im always so excited for autumn /winter but im dreading it this year. My mum has an official oodie its so warm but i cant stretch to the proper ones for us all so going to look for decent copies
I've seen it mentioned that the oodies go on 5poundstuff every so often. I can't see them on there at the moment

Reactions: 4
@Blonde_moment Try merino wool, it's still warm, it doesn't itch and irritate and doesn't have the little hairs sticking out of the weave like normal wool. It can be expensive full price, you can get some bargains on vinted like jumpers for under £10, especially if you shop out of season like now.

It's interesting to see the cost of speakers and tv is low (comparatively). At least we'll be entertained this winter 😅
Yea I thought that but also wondered why my electric bill is so high 😅 only thing I can think of is my cooker is around 10 years old and washing machine 6ish years so maybe aren't quite as efficient as newer ones

Reactions: 2
Yea I thought that but also wondered why my electric bill is so high 😅 only thing I can think of is my cooker is around 10 years old and washing machine 6ish years so maybe aren't quite as efficient as newer ones
I'm not sure the oven info is accurate on that list as only states 1kw per hour. Ours is a double oven with a 10kw supply so I'd guess it's 6kw for main oven & 4kw for smaller.

Appliance usage info from Which?

Reactions: 2
Has anyone got one of those desk hot fan heaters and would you recommend please? Any particular brand of heater?

I wfh in an old house with high ceilings so using central heating doesn’t feel like the most efficient way to heat the one room even tho gas is cheaper than electric.

Very unhelpful bad maths and scaremongering from the new statesmen who are saying WFH will end as it'll now cost £30 a day.

My work laptop uses at most 45w, I'm sure most work laptops are similar and they don't always use this full power. Quite a bit less than the 300w they use for their calculation!

That's way overboard for how much energy to heat a flat, and in anycase people will probably just be heating the one workspace room.

It won't be anywhere near £30 a day, and even if it was my 35 min train ride into london is £26 a day anyway, even if it was true I'd rather pay £4 to avoid all that.

1661942095981.png

Has anyone got one of those desk hot fan heaters and would you recommend please? Any particular brand of heater?

I wfh in an old house with high ceilings so using central heating doesn’t feel like the most efficient way to heat the one room even tho gas is cheaper than electric.
I use an oil filled one when working from home to heat that room, I don't like the kind of air fan heaters give off. But it's more on low to take the edge off than keep it warm.

Reactions: 13
Those oil radiators are really expensive to run where I am I’ve used them in an emergency before, I’m wondering how much the halogen heaters are I’ve noticed a lot of till operators use them if they’re working near the main doors during winter.

Those oil radiators are really expensive to run where I am I’ve used them in an emergency before, I’m wondering how much the halogen heaters are I’ve noticed a lot of till operators use them if they’re working near the main doors during winter.
Yea we had them in a previous house (all electric) and to use 1 heater moved between lounge and bedroom cost us around £1500 for the winter 10 years ago.
I can't remember if the bill was 6 months or a quarter

• Wow
Oil filled are 2000w for the normal size. All electric heaters are the same cost for the same heating output.

It clicks off and on depending on the thermostat. Mine was using around 3kw a day heating the office during the day.

This costs 84p in today's cap, but will be £1.56 from October 1st.

Still cheaper than heating the whole house with gas. Electric is 100% efficient, gas is often around 60-70% efficient.

Reactions: 5
Yea we had them in a previous house (all electric) and to use 1 heater moved between lounge and bedroom cost us around £1500 for the winter 10 years ago.
I can't remember if the bill was 6 months or a quarter
I wasn’t sure if it was just our electricity prices we seem to pay more than the mainland but that’s extortion 😬

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.