Discontent #7 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Setting up warm hubs in Birmingham ,no doubt the first of many.
B473152E-62C5-43CC-95E8-B3728012E14E.jpeg

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
My thermostat is set at 16, then I'm fine with a jumper on. I turn it down to 10 at night but I don't think the temp has ever dropped that far in my house.

Reactions: 3
Spoke to my dad earlier and I don't think he really understands what's going on with energy costs. Or he's being difficult on purpose. I did the MSE energy cost calculator and estimated usage takes me in at 160 per month with the new cap. For context that's an increase of 120 since my fixed deal ended this year. He's like, well it must be wrong, surely you don't use that much energy, you'll need to use less, that's a ridiculous amount to use 🙄 but that's just how much it costs! It's not my usage that's the problem, it's the cost per unit and standing charge that's gone through the roof!

He has a prepayment meter and constantly blasting the central heating, sits at home in a t-shirt and thinks its daft to layer up or use hot water bottles and the like. He'll be in for a shock!!

Reactions: 16
Putting my CT hat on. are they trying to scare people into doing something silly? While at the same time trying to stop people cancelling their DD? Trying to get people out on the streets in protests?

‘A winter catastrophe is coming’: Prepay meter customers set to be slammed with £700 a month energy bills

This last two generations are the only ones who grew up with heating. generation after generation coped before central heating and they didn't have the really lovely warm fabrics we get these days.

I grew up without heating, no carpets and a outside loo. Don't let the media make you believe you cannot cope. They are installing fear...... once again!

Reactions: 21
Putting my CT hat on. are they trying to scare people into doing something silly? While at the same time trying to stop people cancelling their DD? Trying to get people out on the streets in protests?

‘A winter catastrophe is coming’: Prepay meter customers set to be slammed with £700 a month energy bills

This last two generations are the only ones who grew up with heating. generation after generation coped before central heating and they didn't have the really lovely warm fabrics we get these days.

I grew up without heating, no carpets and a outside loo. Don't let the media make you believe you cannot cope. They are installing fear...... once again!
I'm on prepayment, currently I use between 50-60 a month so that works at about 720 a year just on electric. I'm quite relaxed with how I use the electric or at least I have been until recently. I honestly can't imagine it changing to a point where what I pay in a year becomes what I pay in a month.

Reactions: 4
I'm on prepayment, currently I use between 50-60 a month so that works at about 720 a year just on electric. I'm quite relaxed with how I use the electric or at least I have been until recently. I honestly can't imagine it changing to a point where what I pay in a year becomes what I pay in a month.
Its just fear pushing .. trying to get prepay onto DD? Trying to stop those who are cancelling from doing so?

Like everything be prepared for hikes but it will never be anywhere near what they are saying.

I’m also on prepayment; I looked into a DD tariff and it cost more? I wish I’d fixed in hindsight even if it was marginally more than what I pay now. PAYG gives me peace of mind, I think I’d be more lackadaisical if I paid quarterly. The energy rebate really pushed to get more people on DD, making those who pay monthly wait up to 2-3 months.

Has anyone put the insulation foam around their windows? It’s been on my to-do list as mine’s knackered, just need to get to B&M.

I think i'm going to keep track of exactly what each electrical item costs per use, plus showers & items that use gas.
So I can then I can for example 1 Day use the Laptop abit less & put that saved money towards a longer shower.

Its just fear pushing .. trying to get prepay onto DD? Trying to stop those who are cancelling from doing so?

Like everything be prepared for hikes but it will never be anywhere near what they are saying.
Yea I think that's exactly what it is. They want everyone paying over what they use. I prefer Prepay because I know I'd be screwed paying by dd. Granted I'm also only a one person house the majority of the time (partner spends a lot of time here too though) but I just can't see how what they're saying is true

So I mentioned this previously on the thread but today at work at our daily meeting we were reminded that there's £10 to put in for a 50th, £20 for a retirement and £5 for flowers for someone who's gone off sick AGAIN. My pay day is tomorrow so that's £35 straight off my wage. Today should have been my opportunity to say sorry I can't afford this but it's so awkward. They even brought up that not everyone had put in so far and most people sat quietly so I think most people feel the same as me.

It's pay day tomorrow and I have £11.92 in my account currently. I've been on the bones of my arse since about the 2nd week after payday and this was a 5 week month.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 32
So I mentioned this previously on the thread but today at work at our daily meeting we were reminded that there's £10 to put in for a 50th, £20 for a retirement and £5 for flowers for someone who's gone off sick AGAIN. My pay day is tomorrow so that's £35 straight off my wage. Today should have been my opportunity to say sorry I can't afford this but it's so awkward. They even brought up that not everyone had put in so far and most people sat quietly so I think most people feel the same as me.

It's pay day tomorrow and I have £11.92 in my account currently. I've been on the bones of my arse since about the 2nd week after payday and this was a 5 week month.
you said previously there’s around 15 in your dept, that would total £140 for the 50th, £280 for the retiree and £70 for flowers??? Are you sure the organiser isn’t pocketing some of this! Absolutely ridiculous money

Reactions: 23

I remember reading your post on the last thread! How many people did you say are in your team? The problem with these collections is that there's always something going on, whether that's a birthday or retirement or someone's goldfish died :rolleyes: it should always be optional and done with discretion, not bloody embarassing people for not contributing.

You know what, at this point I'd just accept the awkwardness and say unfortunately you're not able to contribute given the pressures on your income recently and leave it at that. I bet there's a few people who are feeling the same. Totally get that it feels uncomfortable but once you've said it, it's out there and you don't need to explain yourself further. I know you don't want to look like a troublemaker but you honestly aren't, you have to put yourself and your family first - sod the colleagues!!

• Heart
Reactions: 18

Sorry but ide just outright refuse. That's ridiculous! I would never expect that at work and anyone that is a good enough friend there will understand.

Reactions: 14
@Instasham, be brave and say you can’t afford to contribute.

I suspect many others will agree and it might be the time for your line manager and other seniors to discuss suspending the collections while we all struggle with the cost of living crisis.

Don’t do it and be upfront about why.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
@Instasham, be brave and say you can’t afford to contribute.

I suspect many others will agree and it might be the time for your line manager and other seniors to discuss suspending the collections while we all struggle with the cost of living crisis.

Don’t do it and be upfront about why.
Agree. Many will be hoping and praying someone makes the first move. Just say, times being what they are I will no longer be putting money in collections ( or at the very least not that set amount ) You can always buy your own card / gift for anyone you are close to.

Reactions: 12
Yes I agree with the others @Instasham as awkward as it may feel definitely be upfront and say, I'm sorry I cannot afford to make contributions to these gifts. I really dislike the weird social pressure in workplaces to give money for gift collections.

Reactions: 10
Thanks. It's just a ridiculous amount to ask for I think. I regularly take in branded biscuits, chics etc to add to our treat collection that staff eat and if we are having a lunch in the department for a special event everyone will each bring in something food or drink wise which again I don't mind.

The money for various things is every month. Prob wouldn't mind if it wasn't ad regular like every month.

Yes I agree with the others @Instasham as awkward as it may feel definitely be upfront and said, I'm sorry I cannot afford to make contributions to these gifts. I really dislike the weird social pressure in workplaces to give money for gift collections.
I've actually heard snidey comments when someone hasn't put in like oh can't put in to the collection but can go 2 holidays a year etc. What people choose to spend their money on is up to them.

• Wow
Reactions: 15
At our place it’s up to the individual if they decide to bring in a cake to the staff room and we only do cards and a collection for those leaving or are off on long term sick leave.

We've had quite a turn over of staff too so I've found I've put in for someone who's gone a few months later.

I think it just takes one person to say that they feel the amounts are too much and others will agree.

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.