Discontent #7 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think it just takes one person to say that they feel the amounts are too much and others will agree.
This is what happened in my last workplace. Xmas 2020 I said i didn’t want to participate in secret Santa as it was £25 of tat I didn’t want or need and I personally would rather the money was spent on a charitable donation. Lots of people agreed and if anyone still wanted to do ss they were free to but at least the rest of us didn’t have to.
We only bought birthday gifts on milestone birthdays and it was between £3 or £5 each. Between 15 that’s still a decent gift

• Heart
Reactions: 15
@monga I seen in the bel tel today that it says that the NI £400 payment will be paid directly to the electricity companies and that it will not be able to be used forwards gas or oil as that would be too complex to arrange

Reactions: 2
Thanks. It's just a ridiculous amount to ask for I think. I regularly take in branded biscuits, chics etc to add to our treat collection that staff eat and if we are having a lunch in the department for a special event everyone will each bring in something food or drink wise which again I don't mind.

The money for various things is every month. Prob wouldn't mind if it wasn't ad regular like every month.

I've actually heard snidey comments when someone hasn't put in like oh can't put in to the collection but can go 2 holidays a year etc. What people choose to spend their money on is up to them.
Sorry to hear that you work in such a toxic work environment that can’t be good for you 🙁 It must be very frustrating. The collection should be voluntary not compulsory!

I would personally stop taking in the nice branded biscuits and whilst people might notice (strange how they don’t when you do it religiously) you can use that money towards something you want and need.

I was like you I’d take in nice food for others to eat and my friend told me a guy said “Imagine her food bill must be massive! I’d hate to be with her!” (I paid for my own food as I was single) He didn’t say anything when he was stuffing his face with the food I offered. I confronted him as it was a short term contract, he had nothing to say! Not even a sorry….

• Wow
Reactions: 15
So I mentioned this previously on the thread but today at work at our daily meeting we were reminded that there's £10 to put in for a 50th, £20 for a retirement and £5 for flowers for someone who's gone off sick AGAIN. My pay day is tomorrow so that's £35 straight off my wage. Today should have been my opportunity to say sorry I can't afford this but it's so awkward. They even brought up that not everyone had put in so far and most people sat quietly so I think most people feel the same as me.

It's pay day tomorrow and I have £11.92 in my account currently. I've been on the bones of my arse since about the 2nd week after payday and this was a 5 week month.
Cheeky buggers! I can't imagine having the audacity to get up there in front of everyone and demand money from them :eek: Some people are absolutely shameless!

Reactions: 13
Sorry to hear that you work in such a toxic work environment that can’t be good for you 🙁 It must be very frustrating. The collection should be voluntary not compulsory!

I would personally stop taking in the nice branded biscuits and whilst people might notice (strange how they don’t when you do it religiously) you can use that money towards something you want and need.

I was like you I’d take in nice food for others to eat and my friend told me a guy said “Imagine her food bill must be massive! I’d hate to be with her!” (I paid for my own food as I was single) He didn’t say anything when he was stuffing his face with the food I offered. I confronted him as it was a short term contract, he had nothing to say! Not even a sorry….
The collection isn't compulsory but it may aswel be because everyone is pretty much reminded publicly until they end up putting in for fear of the embarrassment of not.

Funny thing is I don't even buy my kids branded stuff for their packed lunch. They are happy enough with Aldi brands but when it's work I think they will turn their nose up at the aldi stuff (they have done in the past) so I buy the good gear for the people I barely like and my kids get the crap. 🤣

Christ just typing that makes me realise I'm a total people pleaser who worries what others think.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 23
The collection isn't compulsory but it may aswel be because everyone is pretty much reminded publicly until they end up putting in for fear of the embarrassment of not.

Funny thing is I don't even buy my kids branded stuff for their packed lunch. They are happy enough with Aldi brands but when it's work I think they will turn their nose up at the aldi stuff (they have done in the past) so I buy the good gear for the people I barely like and my kids get the crap. 🤣

Christ just typing that makes me realise I'm a total people pleaser who worries what others think.
I think you should start making them feel embarrassed. Start making up stories about how you ate nothing but crusts for dinner the night before and how you all share bathwater for your weekly wash or something.

• Heart
I’m not sure what industry you work in but it’s absolutely not the employees job to fund retirement gifts etc. Everywhere I’ve ever worked the pool comes from management. Im horrified and astonished at the amounts you’re expected to contribute !

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I’m not sure what industry you work in but it’s absolutely not the employees job to fund retirement gifts etc. Everywhere I’ve ever worked the pool comes from management. Im horrified and astonished at the amounts you’re expected to contribute !
Just a reminder that management are still employees 🙃

No dig at you personally. But my office often refer to "management" as if we aren't also employees who have their own bills etc and we should fund everything. And don't get me started on the things "management" should or shouldn't do in regards to poor performance/sickness etc.

Reactions: 5
I'm NHS and not high up. Just a normal employee.

I'm NHS and not high up. Just a normal employee.
Our daily meeting i refer to is the morning handover when all staff are present.

• Wow
Reactions: 4

No dig at you personally. But my office often refer to "management" as if we aren't also employees who have their own bills etc and we should fund everything. And don't get me started on the things "management" should or shouldn't do in regards to poor performance/sickness etc.
Agreed. I posted about my experience at my last workplace where I was a manager with the secret Santa . Often times it’s the culture that already existed when you started your job

Reactions: 2

sorry - I’m ’management’ for what it’s worth.
I have a budget and I buy my team flowers, wine, voucher for birthdays etc .
Employees - whatever their title- should not be funding.

• Heart
I don't necessarily disagree with a collection in work. I just think the amount is too much. A few quid each from everyone would buy a nice box of chocs, card etc.

Reactions: 9
sorry - I’m ’management’ for what it’s worth.
I have a budget and I buy my team flowers, wine, voucher for birthdays etc .
Employees - whatever their title- should not be funding.
But management are employees??

The OP is NHS. Can you imagine the uproar if NHS managers had a budget they could spend on every occasion?

The money for these gifts have to come from someone's pay packet. I think it is totally unreasonable to expect a single employee to fund that just because they are a manager. That's why collections are the norm. However specifying the amount to donate is also unreasonable.

Reactions: 4
But management are employees??

The OP is NHS. Can you imagine the uproar if NHS managers had a budget they could spend on every occasion?

The money for these gifts have to come from someone's pay packet. I think it is totally unreasonable to expect a single employee to fund that just because they are a manager. That's why collections are the norm. However specifying the amount to donate is also unreasonable.
sorry you misunderstood me, when I say I have a budget - it’s been allocated by the Financial Director - same budget line used for entertainment, drinks etc. private company obviously- couldn’t happen in NHSor charities etc.

Reactions: 7
sorry you misunderstood me, when I say I have a budget - it’s been allocated by the Financial Director - same budget line used for entertainment, drinks etc. private company obviously- couldn’t happen in NHSor charities etc.
That's what I am saying.

It couldn't happen in NHS or other public sector so who pays? The employees.

ETA I am management in public sector. There are a lot of people I work with who will say "management should pay for that" etc. forgetting that I am an employee just like them

Reactions: 3
That's what I am saying.

It couldn't happen in NHS or other public sector so who pays? The employees.
No one pays - sack it off, if times are tight, you’re all adults - no one needs a birthday present from work to feel validated. Sure it’s nice to have but no way should employese be stretching their pennies over it.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I'm on prepayment, currently I use between 50-60 a month so that works at about 720 a year just on electric. I'm quite relaxed with how I use the electric or at least I have been until recently. I honestly can't imagine it changing to a point where what I pay in a year becomes what I pay in a month.
I'm on prepay (electric key meter, don't use gas), no I will not be putting £700/month on my key.
I top my meter up weekly, the most I have ever put on when it was very cold is £40. I will save my COL payment for cold weeks, and the £400 rebate will have to cover the rest.

Reactions: 5
@monga I seen in the bel tel today that it says that the NI £400 payment will be paid directly to the electricity companies and that it will not be able to be used forwards gas or oil as that would be too complex to arrange
Thanks, was reading it earlier .I’m still wondering how it will work if people have prepaid meters or payment cards will they have to contact every household to see how they pay or will they get the info from the energy company ? I think people were hoping it would be paid like the voucher scheme and they could use it how they wish…ETA just saw this

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
No one pays - sack it off, if times are tight, you’re all adults - no one needs a birthday present from work to feel validated. Sure it’s nice to have but no way should employese be stretching their pennies over it.
This. At my work they forgot to do a collection for one person but did everyone else during the year. It was so awkward whe we realised. I think it would be better if the team gifts were stopped. As you say, noone needs this validation.

Reactions: 12
So I mentioned this previously on the thread but today at work at our daily meeting we were reminded that there's £10 to put in for a 50th, £20 for a retirement and £5 for flowers for someone who's gone off sick AGAIN. My pay day is tomorrow so that's £35 straight off my wage. Today should have been my opportunity to say sorry I can't afford this but it's so awkward. They even brought up that not everyone had put in so far and most people sat quietly so I think most people feel the same as me.

It's pay day tomorrow and I have £11.92 in my account currently. I've been on the bones of my arse since about the 2nd week after payday and this was a 5 week month.
Haven’t even caught up with the rest of the thread yet so sorry but maybe keep it cute and just say you know what in light of the CoL crisis maybe we should pause these collections until we know a bit more about what’s going on with energy bills/support/the economy? People will all be breathing a huge sigh of relief. Sorry but no one needs a cake and some tit flowers & especially not at expense to people’s household budgets!

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.