Dirty John 2 - The Betty Broderick Story

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Why did this make me laugh? 🤣
Screenshot_20200817-043302_Netflix.jpg

Also was this a Desperate Housewives reunion? First Tom Scarvo then Beth Young made cameos

__
I wish they had gone into Linda Kolkena more who was was fired from a flight attendant job for language and sitting on men's laps then became a receptionist.

Reactions: 6
Why did this make me laugh? 🤣
View attachment 214910

Also was this a Desperate Housewives reunion? First Tom Scarvo then Beth Young made cameos

__
I wish they had gone into Linda Kolkena more who was was fired from a flight attendant job for language and sitting on men's laps then became a receptionist.
And Rex was in it!

Reactions: 3
I’m interested in others opinions on this- how far do you think his qualifications and titles got him with his settlements during the proceedings? (Obviously not chronologically 💥) was it this and him being mates with the higher ups And able to manipulate or is/was the law just set up this way in the 80s???

Reactions: 8
I definitely think it helped him. Maybe not on the record but definitely off the record. She was definitely bound to come off worse unless he would have been generous.
I was speaking to my mum about it as I told her to watch it & she was telling me about her friend who got a divorce from her now ex-husband (in the UK in around late 2000s maybe) & although it wasn’t the same (she obv didn’t kill him either haha) as he wasn’t a lawyer or anything but he worked & earned everything whilst she raised the children, carried them whilst he was early on in his jobs, looked after the home whilst he worked away etc he was controlling/abusive & then had an affair & she told my mum that the divorce court was her worst experience. They didn’t take into account her role & all they cared about was money/finances. Similarly they wouldn’t entertain the affair. So maybe that’s just genuinely what it’s like?
I wouldn’t know, I’m only 27 & haven’t been married let alone been divorced.

Reactions: 1
I’ve just finished it. I feel for her but I do think she was struggling to let go. I am not disputing the abuse she had and how he treated her, but she did not have to murder him.

100% his career helped him every bit of the way, they all help each other out. He made things as difficult for her as he could, there really was no need.

I felt extremely sorry for her up until it was like 4 years later and she was still obsessed, had her son begging her to stop harassing him as they was miserable and wanted to live with her. I felt like she should have put her kids first but I really did initailly feel sorry for her. She also went irritating in prison, she reminded me of Piper from OITNB who was badly irritating. Saying that, I stayed up until 2am watching it as I was gripped. The husband was a prick, so was the girlfriend. Nobody put the children first and they had miserable childhoods that could have been prevented. I also think she got too long in prison as she was extremely emotional abused.

Reactions: 10
I felt extremely sorry for her up until it was like 4 years later and she was still obsessed, had her son begging her to stop harassing him as they was miserable and wanted to live with her. I felt like she should have put her kids first but I really did initailly feel sorry for her. She also went irritating in prison, she reminded me of Piper from OITNB who was badly irritating. Saying that, I stayed up until 2am watching it as I was gripped. The husband was a prick, so was the girlfriend. Nobody put the children first and they had miserable childhoods that could have been prevented. I also think she got too long in prison as she was extremely emotional abused.
Completely agree she should have just moved back to New York after the divorce so she wouldn’t have to see them all the time or be reminded of them in her social circle. Especially as she didn’t want to have the kids on her own

I'm on episode 4, I don't know anything about the case and am trying not to google it until I'm finished. I'd think the years of gaslighting, and the lifestyle they had, would make it hard for her to let go. I'm interested to see how the rest of the series plays out

Reactions: 5
I dunno if they’re brainwashed or not. When I researched it after watching there was a lot of things that Netflix didn’t show, obv don’t know how accurate they are but there was apparently issues with Betty & the children. I read that she once chased one of them with a fly squatter & I believe this was prior to all this happening. So I’m not sure she was the “perfect mother” that the Netflix show portrayed & her herself portrayed. I want to watch a few of the other true crime ones to get a better idea.
I just think both sides used the kids massively to get at each other which wasn’t fair at all.

I agree, but I also feel like maybe now she’d actually be sectioned or at least seen my medical professionals before the point of no return. She showed all sorts of mental health issues and obsessive behaviour. I feel she would at least assessed now.

Reactions: 5
I have been researching this and I think the show has completely been made to be on Betty's side. Dan and Linda are dead so the programme has been made by only using Betty's side of the story clearly. I had a look and saw some screenshots of her daughter's Facebook pages and they have both openly stated how much they loved Linda and their father. One of them even has a profile picture of her siblings and Dan and in the comments it says 'haha this was us wearing Linda's clothes' - so I believe the story has been massively fabricated. One of Betty's daughters said and I quote 'I have sympathy for my mom and what she went through. But I still do not believe that taking the life of others is the recourse.' She has also said that she does stay in touch with her mother.

Just finished watching this

With the first season I listened to the Podcast first so already knew the story and knew what John was like from the off. (As an aside, if I had watched the TV show first I would have thought it completely unrealistic as to how stupid the decisions Debra made and the way she acted - certainly there were times listening to the podcast where it was explaining her actions that left me saying out loud to myself WTF? But with season 2 I had no idea what the story was about, nor did I spoil it for myself. For the first few episodes I had convinced myself that it was actually all in her head and she thought he was a “dirty John” when in fact he wasn’t. (Long time crush on Christian Slater may have clouded my judgement a little 😶). But as the episodes went on the gaslighting became more apparent.

One thing I didn’t like was how the new girlfriend turned into a proper villain at the end, even wanting to hurt and punish Betty even more than Dan, which seemed to come out of nowhere. I don’t know whether this was the case in the actual real life events or whether it was one of the “dramatised scenes” they show in the disclaimer at the end of each episode. But I just thought that was a little too convenient to the plot. I was also a bit underwhelmed by the ending. A major plus was the soundtrack, especially in the earlier episodes.

Also, first Eric Bana and then Christian Slater! I’m looking forward to seeing who the sinister hottie is in the third season 😊

I feel so devastated for her. Betty is now in her 70s and can't apply for parole again until 2022 bcus she didn't show remorse in her last appeal hearing apparently.

Having been in an emotionally abusive relationship previously, I get it, I get her. I get her emotions, her seemingly psychotic episodes... and that was without having to deal with a divorce.

It honestly drives you to a point of insanity. (obviously I didn't commit murder or cause harm; I'd just like to point that out!!!! I managed to escape with my dignity)

Going through a divorce in those days was such an unheard of situation. She seemingly gave up SO much for Dan, basically her life, and all he could do was betray her. She gave up everything to the point she was financially vulnerable as she relied on his money. However, wasn't that what most women did in the 70/80s?!

Don't get me wrong, I think Betty needed help, but none of her friends were really 'friends' she aside from two. None of them helped her, they fuelled her. They were quite happy to throw her under a bus.

I would like to hear one of Dan's friends side of this because he definitely appears manipulative, heartless and calculated from both the Dirty John series and from what I've read on the Internet separately. There will obviously viilousoy have been things missed out, but it does sound like a lot of the issues that were brought up around the children were instigated by Dan, etc.

No one can see emotional abuse. Physical abuse is a bit different. There are scars, bruises, usually noticeable even though the victims attempt to cover them. However, with emotional abuse, the abuser is the one who manipulates the outside world.

I've definitely took this to heart. Has anyone else?!

Reactions: 11
I feel so devastated for her. Betty is now in her 70s and can't apply for parole again until 2022 bcus she didn't show remorse in her last appeal hearing apparently.

Having been in an emotionally abusive relationship previously, I get it, I get her. I get her emotions, her seemingly psychotic episodes... and that was without having to deal with a divorce.

It honestly drives you to a point of insanity. (obviously I didn't commit murder or cause harm; I'd just like to point that out!!!! I managed to escape with my dignity)

Going through a divorce in those days was such an unheard of situation. She seemingly gave up SO much for Dan, basically her life, and all he could do was betray her. She gave up everything to the point she was financially vulnerable as she relied on his money. However, wasn't that what most women did in the 70/80s?!

Don't get me wrong, I think Betty needed help, but none of her friends were really 'friends' she aside from two. None of them helped her, they fuelled her. They were quite happy to throw her under a bus.

I would like to hear one of Dan's friends side of this because he definitely appears manipulative, heartless and calculated from both the Dirty John series and from what I've read on the Internet separately. There will obviously viilousoy have been things missed out, but it does sound like a lot of the issues that were brought up around the children were instigated by Dan, etc.

No one can see emotional abuse. Physical abuse is a bit different. There are scars, bruises, usually noticeable even though the victims attempt to cover them. However, with emotional abuse, the abuser is the one who manipulates the outside world.

I've definitely took this to heart. Has anyone else?!
I got her too! I would be distraught if my hubby did that to me. However, I love my kids too much and I would stop calling and leaving messages so I could get them back. They would be my first priority and they wasn't hers and that is why I lost respect for her.

Reactions: 4
I got her too! I would be distraught if my hubby did that to me. However, I love my kids too much and I would stop calling and leaving messages so I could get them back. They would be my first priority and they wasn't hers and that is why I lost respect for her.
I understand what you mean and I completely agree. I'd have done anything they asked to get the children back...but I also understand that she wanted to ensure she could maintain their lifestyle that Dan had given them. Without the funds, it wasn't possible. A judge probably wouldn't have granted full custody to a mother who lived in a 1 bedroom flat with only enough money to feed herself let alone her children.