Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Kmh1987

Binged watched it yesterday up till 4am not my best idea šŸ¤£ it got better as it went on . I do think she was a bit of a loose cannon but years of gas lighting and emotional abuse drove her to the edge .

Reactions: 14

fishsticks

I feel so devastated for her. Betty is now in her 70s and can't apply for parole again until 2022 bcus she didn't show remorse in her last appeal hearing apparently.

Having been in an emotionally abusive relationship previously, I get it, I get her. I get her emotions, her seemingly psychotic episodes... and that was without having to deal with a divorce.

It honestly drives you to a point of insanity. (obviously I didn't commit murder or cause harm; I'd just like to point that out!!!! I managed to escape with my dignity)

Going through a divorce in those days was such an unheard of situation. She seemingly gave up SO much for Dan, basically her life, and all he could do was betray her. She gave up everything to the point she was financially vulnerable as she relied on his money. However, wasn't that what most women did in the 70/80s?!

Don't get me wrong, I think Betty needed help, but none of her friends were really 'friends' she aside from two. None of them helped her, they fuelled her. They were quite happy to throw her under a bus.

I would like to hear one of Dan's friends side of this because he definitely appears manipulative, heartless and calculated from both the Dirty John series and from what I've read on the Internet separately. There will obviously viilousoy have been things missed out, but it does sound like a lot of the issues that were brought up around the children were instigated by Dan, etc.

No one can see emotional abuse. Physical abuse is a bit different. There are scars, bruises, usually noticeable even though the victims attempt to cover them. However, with emotional abuse, the abuser is the one who manipulates the outside world.

I've definitely took this to heart. Has anyone else?!

Reactions: 11

Yoghurtpots

VIP Member
I felt extremely sorry for her up until it was like 4 years later and she was still obsessed, had her son begging her to stop harassing him as they was miserable and wanted to live with her. I felt like she should have put her kids first but I really did initailly feel sorry for her. She also went irritating in prison, she reminded me of Piper from OITNB who was badly irritating. Saying that, I stayed up until 2am watching it as I was gripped. The husband was a prick, so was the girlfriend. Nobody put the children first and they had miserable childhoods that could have been prevented. I also think she got too long in prison as she was extremely emotional abused.

Reactions: 10

CrazyCatLady1092

It gets better from episode 3 onwards. Thought it was pretty boring & confusing to follow initially. I think they kept the dirty John in there as itā€™s alluded that the husband ripped her off, was calculating & taking money etc so although is in a different sense to the first series, itā€™s still similar if that makes sense haha.
I think Iā€™m about to watch episode 8. Still donā€™t know how I feel about the case as a whole & trying not to google yet until Iā€™ve finished the series.
I didnā€™t know anything about the case before watching so Iā€™ve found it really interesting

Reactions: 9

Pot2PeeIn

Iā€™m interested in others opinions on this- how far do you think his qualifications and titles got him with his settlements during the proceedings? (Obviously not chronologically šŸ’„) was it this and him being mates with the higher ups And able to manipulate or is/was the law just set up this way in the 80s???

Reactions: 8

LittleMy

VIP Member
I donā€™t get it. Is it the original John from season 1 but back in the 80ā€™s?
Itā€™s a different true crime story altogether, separate from the story of Dirty John, but made by the same people. Itā€™s very confusing, they should have taken that out of the title.

Reactions: 7

Pot2PeeIn

I finished arching this last night.... I canā€™t decide if she was crackers in her own right or he had actually made her that way with the years of torment. It definitely came across with some patriarchal dominance.
im always disappointed when they donā€™t do a little follow up at the end with something like ā€œBetty is now 76 and lives in Virginiaafter serving 25 yearsā€
Or whatever.

Reactions: 7

CrazyCatLady1092

I dunno if theyā€™re brainwashed or not. When I researched it after watching there was a lot of things that Netflix didnā€™t show, obv donā€™t know how accurate they are but there was apparently issues with Betty & the children. I read that she once chased one of them with a fly squatter & I believe this was prior to all this happening. So Iā€™m not sure she was the ā€œperfect motherā€ that the Netflix show portrayed & her herself portrayed. I want to watch a few of the other true crime ones to get a better idea.
I just think both sides used the kids massively to get at each other which wasnā€™t fair at all.

Reactions: 6

DoctorWho

Chatty Member
The only entertaining thing that has come out of the first 2 episodes was Mike Scavo from desperate housewives šŸ˜…šŸ˜

GossWhore

VIP Member
Why did this make me laugh? šŸ¤£
Screenshot_20200817-043302_Netflix.jpg

Also was this a Desperate Housewives reunion? First Tom Scarvo then Beth Young made cameos

__
I wish they had gone into Linda Kolkena more who was was fired from a flight attendant job for language and sitting on men's laps then became a receptionist.

Iā€™ve just finished it. I feel for her but I do think she was struggling to let go. I am not disputing the abuse she had and how he treated her, but she did not have to murder him.

100% his career helped him every bit of the way, they all help each other out. He made things as difficult for her as he could, there really was no need.

Flipflops

Nearly at the end of season 2 Dirty John, and I'm absolutely insenced on Betty Broderick's behalf. I read up on it recently and the Operah Winfrey interview with the real Betty was very interesting too. It's clear Dan baited her, he didn't have to ask for full custody of the kids, he didn't have to treat her so bad, or fine her and be so sneaky and controling, he went from a loving (albeit selfish & sexist) husband to being attracted to basically a younger model of his current wife. He was very sexist and every thing in the courts was about him and supporting him it was all so male dominated back then and she was portrayed as an hysterical jealous crazy woman and got terrible support. Linda was portrayed quite badly, showing no empathy or remorse, wonder what she was really like? Most courts back then often seemed to favour the men. Betty had to demonstrate she was a good mum, yet Dan didn't seem to need to show how good he was as a father, where were the meetings from the school and friends, work colleagues etc? Anyway, obviously I don't know all the facts about the real story or but it still has left me reeling!!! Anyway, just needed to vent!

GossWhore

VIP Member
I don't understand why they put this under Dirty John

They should of just said "from the credits of Dirty John"

The story is a bit meh, but I'm still watching b

Reactions: 5
I felt extremely sorry for her up until it was like 4 years later and she was still obsessed, had her son begging her to stop harassing him as they was miserable and wanted to live with her. I felt like she should have put her kids first but I really did initailly feel sorry for her. She also went irritating in prison, she reminded me of Piper from OITNB who was badly irritating. Saying that, I stayed up until 2am watching it as I was gripped. The husband was a prick, so was the girlfriend. Nobody put the children first and they had miserable childhoods that could have been prevented. I also think she got too long in prison as she was extremely emotional abused.
I agree, but I also feel like maybe now sheā€™d actually be sectioned or at least seen my medical professionals before the point of no return. She showed all sorts of mental health issues and obsessive behaviour. I feel she would at least assessed now.

Tiredbones

I'm on episode 4, I don't know anything about the case and am trying not to google it until I'm finished. I'd think the years of gaslighting, and the lifestyle they had, would make it hard for her to let go. I'm interested to see how the rest of the series plays out

Yoghurtpots

VIP Member
Nearly at the end of season 2 Dirty John, and I'm absolutely insenced on Betty Broderick's behalf. I read up on it recently and the Operah Winfrey interview with the real Betty was very interesting too. It's clear Dan baited her, he didn't have to ask for full custody of the kids, he didn't have to treat her so bad, or fine her and be so sneaky and controling, he went from a loving (albeit selfish & sexist) husband to being attracted to basically a younger model of his current wife. He was very sexist and every thing in the courts was about him and supporting him it was all so male dominated back then and she was portrayed as an hysterical jealous crazy woman and got terrible support. Linda was portrayed quite badly, showing no empathy or remorse, wonder what she was really like? Most courts back then often seemed to favour the men. Betty had to demonstrate she was a good mum, yet Dan didn't seem to need to show how good he was as a father, where were the meetings from the school and friends, work colleagues etc? Anyway, obviously I don't know all the facts about the real story or but it still has left me reeling!!! Anyway, just needed to vent!
I agree but she put her hatred of him before her children. She put her love of material wealth before her children. Her children wouldn't have minded living in a smaller house and not having designer clothes. They both dragged them kids through hell.

Yoghurtpots

VIP Member
I feel so devastated for her. Betty is now in her 70s and can't apply for parole again until 2022 bcus she didn't show remorse in her last appeal hearing apparently.

Having been in an emotionally abusive relationship previously, I get it, I get her. I get her emotions, her seemingly psychotic episodes... and that was without having to deal with a divorce.

It honestly drives you to a point of insanity. (obviously I didn't commit murder or cause harm; I'd just like to point that out!!!! I managed to escape with my dignity)

Going through a divorce in those days was such an unheard of situation. She seemingly gave up SO much for Dan, basically her life, and all he could do was betray her. She gave up everything to the point she was financially vulnerable as she relied on his money. However, wasn't that what most women did in the 70/80s?!

Don't get me wrong, I think Betty needed help, but none of her friends were really 'friends' she aside from two. None of them helped her, they fuelled her. They were quite happy to throw her under a bus.

I would like to hear one of Dan's friends side of this because he definitely appears manipulative, heartless and calculated from both the Dirty John series and from what I've read on the Internet separately. There will obviously viilousoy have been things missed out, but it does sound like a lot of the issues that were brought up around the children were instigated by Dan, etc.

No one can see emotional abuse. Physical abuse is a bit different. There are scars, bruises, usually noticeable even though the victims attempt to cover them. However, with emotional abuse, the abuser is the one who manipulates the outside world.

I've definitely took this to heart. Has anyone else?!
I got her too! I would be distraught if my hubby did that to me. However, I love my kids too much and I would stop calling and leaving messages so I could get them back. They would be my first priority and they wasn't hers and that is why I lost respect for her.

Reactions: 4

Gembo

VIP Member
If anyone is interested in the case, years ago they made a TV movie called A Woman Scorned The Betty Broderick story. I thought it was really good and Meredith Baxter played Betty really well. Havenā€™t watched this tv series yet but itā€™s on my next to watch list.

Reactions: 4

DoctorWho

Chatty Member
Itā€™s a different true crime story altogether, separate from the story of Dirty John, but made by the same people. Itā€™s very confusing, they should have taken that out of the title.
Ah yes. Iā€™m watching it now but pissing about on my phone and not giving it my full attention šŸ¤£
I thought it was a sequel to season 1.

Reactions: 3