Desert Island Discs - BBC R4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Off the back of another thread - are there any other fans of desert island discs? Any recommendations for best episodes?

For me, Tom Hanks’ episode is my all time favourite. Makes me cry. Absolutely worth a listen. I also like Kathy Burke’s - very interesting life story.

I went through a phase of trying to listen to every episode ever made. It petered out a bit but I’m going to pick it back up.

Reactions: 11
Absolutely love Desert Island Discs though I haven’t listened for a few months.I loved Alan Carr, John Bishop, Nigel Owens off the top of my head. I’ve listened to so many they mash into each other. Those are worth a listen off the top of my head.

Reactions: 4
Off the top of my head all time favourites have been:
Donald Sutherland - just very funny, self deprecating and charismatic
Betty Driver (Betty hotpot off of Corrie) was just an eye opener. She had a dreadful childhood (her mother was appalling) and was so matter of fact and kindly. It was a sad and lovely listen.
George Clooney was very funny and flirtatious.
Morrissey was too, which I wasn't expecting (funny, not flirtatious 😂)

Reactions: 3
Professor Sue Black is my stand out episode. I’d started listening via the iPlayer and decided to go through who I knew and liked, who I knew, then who sounded interesting from the short bio. It helped me to refocus my mind when it was busy with things that weren’t wanted in there. I miss Kirsty presenting.

Yes I miss Kirsty presenting too. I don’t mind Laren Laverne as a presenter, but she presents the show as if reading out a list of preprepared questions.

When Kirsty Young does it, it is much more conversational and revealing. I prefer it for the music to be a ‘way in’ to have a deep conversation with the subject, rather than talking about what the music means to them.

Reactions: 7
Ian Wright’s episode made me cry, and he was never a public figure I was particularly keen on before I listened.

I would recommend Noel Gallagher, Mary Portas and Liz Smith.
Off to listen to Betty Driver. Thanks for starting the thread ! 🙏

Reactions: 5
Warwick Davies‘ episode was very affecting, talking about how he got into acting and how much pain he and his family is in every day due to their conditions. Lovely, lovely man

Reactions: 6
David Nott makes me cry every time.
Murray Walker was brilliant, such a lovely man and Kirsty really seemed to enjoy doing it.

Reactions: 2
I love Desert Island Discs! I really enjoyed Floella Benjamin’s episode.

I hope I’m not the only one who spends hours putting my 8 songs together once I’ve listened to a couple of episodes 🤣 What would your Desert Island Discs be? Maybe a good thread idea!

Reactions: 5
Love this thread. I listened to half of Richard Osman’s before while out walking and I can’t wait to finish the rest. I’ll then listen to Ian wright’s

I listened to Deborah Meadens the other day that was good. So was Daniel Radcliffe’s

Reactions: 6
Love this thread. I listened to half of Richard Osman’s before while out walking and I can’t wait to finish the rest. I’ll then listen to Ian wright’s
I keep meaning to listen to Ian Wright's, it is meant to be good isn't it. Also Stephen Graham's.

Reactions: 2
Stephen Graham’s is good but his accent really pisses me off and I’m a scouser, it’s as though he’s exaggerating it

Reactions: 1
Paul O Grady’s is my go to. I’m going to add these recommendations to my play list, thank you!

Reactions: 8
I loved Alan Carr, Ian Wright, Marian Keyes and Stephen Graham. I also enjoyed Jed Mercurio and Richard Osman’s episode which I listened to today. Bob Mortimer was great too. One of my favourite podcasts, find it so relaxing.

I’m just going to note here as and when. Kenny Everett, interviewed by Sue Lawley.

Prue Leith - was interesting, but she did come across as controlling, talented, and lucky.