Desert Island Discs - BBC R4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Did anybody hear the Damien Hurst one?
Omg worth listening to if only as he was such a pretentious boastful prat. Hilarious.
I was also surprised at how I disliked Marcus Waring's, as I liked him on Masterchef. Another boastful person. Just went on about his marvellous achievements.

Just remembered another one I loved - Lin-Manuel Miranda who wrote Hamilton. A lovely man, modest and funny. One of those episodes I listened to thinking it would be dull as I knew nothing about him, but came away a fan.

Reactions: 7
I’m just going to note here as and when. Kenny Everett, interviewed by Sue Lawley.

Prue Leith - was interesting, but she did come across as controlling, talented, and lucky.
I thought more like deceitful (an affair for 13years), rich and entitled.

Reactions: 6
Thanks so much for all the Betty Driver recommendations, just listened and it’s a great episode. What a lovely woman.

Reactions: 5
Thanks so much for all the Betty Driver recommendations, just listened and it’s a great episode. What a lovely woman.
Isn't it? She was lovely, with a great laugh. And not a hint of self pity, which is amazing after the treatment by her appalling mother.

Reactions: 4
Love this thread.

Another stand out for me is an old one with Simon Weston, the soldier from the Falklands who was burned badly. It’s a little outdated as it was a long while back but his story and experiences are fascinating.

Reactions: 3
I love desert island discs and really miss my commute for just relaxing into them.
David Nott, Kathy Burke and Jacqueline gold were all great.
I did enjoy Noel Gallagher and Russel brand winding each other up with their luxury items!

Reactions: 1
Am I imagining things, or was the episode today with Dame Jo da Silva a repeat, and a very recent one? I'm sure I listened to this just a few months ago. Not so sure about her discs, but the first one; David Bowie's Sound and Vision, I think I remember that. Also, speaking about what she first thought were hippos in the river, where actually dead bodies.

I can't see this mentioned as being a repeat, so possibly she has featured on another R4 or World Service programme 😕

Am I imagining things, or was the episode today with Dame Jo da Silva a repeat, and a very recent one? I'm sure I listened to this just a few months ago. Not so sure about her discs, but the first one; David Bowie's Sound and Vision, I think I remember that. Also, speaking about what she first thought were hippos in the river, where actually dead bodies.

I can't see this mentioned as being a repeat, so possibly she has featured on another R4 or World Service programme 😕
Yes, you are right, it was a repeat from a month or so back.
I thought she was a fairly interesting castaway, music was ok too.

Last edited:
Any more recommendations guys?
I would honestly recommend going to the bbc/desert island discs website & having a look, there's a few thousand episodes, going back to the 1950's, see someone you like, click & listen.
Off hand, I remember George McGavin, the insect expert being a good episode, quite sad too.

Reactions: 2
Samantha Morton’s were good, I’m just having a look through now. I love it when there’s someone you know little about and they have amazing stories