Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Bobby Chariot

VIP Member
90 lost episodes have been found & digitised, with the likes of Noel Coward, David Hockney, Ronnie Corbett, Dame Margot Fonteyn, James Mason, Dirk Bogarde, Bing Crosby.
They are on bbc website, bbc Sounds, radio 4 extra.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 11

Octopies

Chatty Member
Off the back of another thread - are there any other fans of desert island discs? Any recommendations for best episodes?

For me, Tom Hanks’ episode is my all time favourite. Makes me cry. Absolutely worth a listen. I also like Kathy Burke’s - very interesting life story.

I went through a phase of trying to listen to every episode ever made. It petered out a bit but I’m going to pick it back up.

Reactions: 11

Kellybobz

Paul O Grady’s is my go to. I’m going to add these recommendations to my play list, thank you!

Reactions: 8

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
A bit wierd to have Adele and Bono episodes back to back.
Two huge music stars. They usually don't have similarish people/professions so close together.
I think Adele used to be down to earth but she seems false as f*ck now.

Reactions: 7

Happyvalley

VIP Member
I loved Alan Carr, Ian Wright, Marian Keyes and Stephen Graham. I also enjoyed Jed Mercurio and Richard Osman’s episode which I listened to today. Bob Mortimer was great too. One of my favourite podcasts, find it so relaxing.

Bobby Chariot

VIP Member
Simon Reeve was a decent listen yesterday, he was on a real downward spiral in life and managed to turn himself around.
I enjoy his travelogue programmes on tv, he had quite an eclectic selection of music.
Next Sunday's castaway is writer, Deborah Levy.

Deedeemegadoodoo

Yes I miss Kirsty presenting too. I don’t mind Laren Laverne as a presenter, but she presents the show as if reading out a list of preprepared questions.

When Kirsty Young does it, it is much more conversational and revealing. I prefer it for the music to be a ‘way in’ to have a deep conversation with the subject, rather than talking about what the music means to them.

NomDeGuerre

VIP Member
Ian Wright’s episode made me cry, and he was never a public figure I was particularly keen on before I listened.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Did anybody hear the Damien Hurst one?
Omg worth listening to if only as he was such a pretentious boastful prat. Hilarious.
I was also surprised at how I disliked Marcus Waring's, as I liked him on Masterchef. Another boastful person. Just went on about his marvellous achievements.

Just remembered another one I loved - Lin-Manuel Miranda who wrote Hamilton. A lovely man, modest and funny. One of those episodes I listened to thinking it would be dull as I knew nothing about him, but came away a fan.

EnglishRoseIrishRover

Warwick Davies‘ episode was very affecting, talking about how he got into acting and how much pain he and his family is in every day due to their conditions. Lovely, lovely man

Reactions: 6
I’m just going to note here as and when. Kenny Everett, interviewed by Sue Lawley.

Prue Leith - was interesting, but she did come across as controlling, talented, and lucky.
I thought more like deceitful (an affair for 13years), rich and entitled.

Bobby Chariot

VIP Member
Desert Island Discs is 80 yrs old o_O
News reporter and journalist Lyse Doucet is tomorrow's castaway, she must have had an interesting life reporting from war zones etc.

Blair-Waldorf

VIP Member
Love this thread. I listened to half of Richard Osman’s before while out walking and I can’t wait to finish the rest. I’ll then listen to Ian wright’s

I listened to Deborah Meadens the other day that was good. So was Daniel Radcliffe’s

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Cate Blanchette today. She seems nice, but quite guarded so no real revelations. Her luxury was - 'time' 🤷‍♀️. Lauren Laverne infuriates me with her lax acceptance of luxuries that should not be practical. She let that chef have a knife for goodness sake.
Steven Spielberg next week, he might be good.

Reactions: 5
I love Desert Island Discs! I really enjoyed Floella Benjamin’s episode.

I hope I’m not the only one who spends hours putting my 8 songs together once I’ve listened to a couple of episodes 🤣 What would your Desert Island Discs be? Maybe a good thread idea!

Moodymargi

Any more recommendations guys?
Nazir Afzals is good Blair, he was the prosecutor for the Rochdale grooming gang. Helen Mcrorys is fab too, she seemed like such a lovely woman. Matt Smiths has some boss songs.

Love these recommendations, stuck in with covid so will try a few to pass the time.

• Heart