Decluttering challenge

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Trying to streamline my CD (and to a lesser extent DVD) collection. I remember as a teen (showing my age!) when albums were so expensive and were almost a reflection of your personality! I have so many memories attached to music, but a lot of my albums only have 1 or 2 songs I like on them and if I'm honest with myself I'm not going to pop a Nelly Furtado album in my car's cd player anytime soon 🤣
Have managed to cull about a third 😬
There’s a renaissance for physical media atm so it’s probably the best time in recent years to sell a collection. Or on the other hand… you may want to reconsider selling it lol 🫣

Has anyone got cute/fun bank holiday plans? I’m exhausted atm, can’t focus enough to commit to a few bits for the house (shelves, paint samples) so tempted to just have a cosy home day with my toddler.

There’s a renaissance for physical media atm so it’s probably the best time in recent years to sell a collection. Or on the other hand… you may want to reconsider selling it lol 🫣
I've looked on eBay and it's all literally worthless 😂 music magpie have most things for £2/3 and my local charity shops are briming with unwanted CDs. Giving a few away to family ect but think I'll just donate them!

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I recently had my garden shed cleared out - completely - by a 'dump-run' guy. Years of clutter. o_O I know there were probably loads of items I should've rescued but just had a little talk to myself; let's face it, once something goes out to the shed, it rarely ever comes back in.

It's my guess a lot of us on this thread are of the 'I can't get rid of that ... sentimental reasons' brigade. Sometimes it pays to be ruthless and just not think about it too much.

Now it's the house-junk's turn. Be prepared, house-junk! :LOL:

Reactions: 9
I recently had my garden shed cleared out - completely - by a 'dump-run' guy. Years of clutter. o_O I know there were probably loads of items I should've rescued but just had a little talk to myself; let's face it, once something goes out to the shed, it rarely ever comes back in.

It's my guess a lot of us on this thread are of the 'I can't get rid of that ... sentimental reasons' brigade. Sometimes it pays to be ruthless and just not think about it too much.

Now it's the house-junk's turn. Be prepared, house-junk! :LOL:
Exactly! I think I've spent more time dusting my dvd collection over the past 5 years than actually watching them! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I know some of you were tinkering around decluttering wondering if you could possibly find 5 random pieces of crap to throw out. 😉 This just hit my inbox (one of the few I’ve NOT unsubscribed from - yes, you can declutter your email too - should take you less than a minute to unsubscribe from 5 newsletters right now!) - and you could probably put 100 things in the bin before dark.

I had a quick go in the shed yesterday as I was planting. Found a paddling pool cover new in the box - my kids are more into illicit booze than paddling pools these days - so I was it it straight in the charity bag and I hope someone’s kids have a great summer with a warmer pool! Also threw out various bits of shite and can even REACH the old paint pots now that need to go to the tip.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I finally got around to sorting my clothes to see if I could do some kind of capsule wardrobe.
I dragged an empty rail into the room and filled it with stuff I wasn't sure fit or suited me and left behind in the wardrobe all the things I loved and wore.
I packed all my winter stuff away whilst doing this, but only packed away the things I loved and used. The rest went on to my rail.
Then I had to lie down and rest as I was aching and shattered!! 😁
Looking in my wardrobe now I can definitely see a capsule wardrobe so I think the next tasks will be to:
Gradually try on the stuff on the rail and decide what I'm keeping
Write a list of all my clothes I'm keeping....
Then I'll sit down with my list and work out what's missing that I need.
And then I'll go shopping!!! 😉😁

I finally got around to sorting my clothes to see if I could do some kind of capsule wardrobe.
I dragged an empty rail into the room and filled it with stuff I wasn't sure fit or suited me and left behind in the wardrobe all the things I loved and wore.
I packed all my winter stuff away whilst doing this, but only packed away the things I loved and used. The rest went on to my rail.
Then I had to lie down and rest as I was aching and shattered!! 😁
Looking in my wardrobe now I can definitely see a capsule wardrobe so I think the next tasks will be to:
Gradually try on the stuff on the rail and decide what I'm keeping
Write a list of all my clothes I'm keeping....
Then I'll sit down with my list and work out what's missing that I need.
And then I'll go shopping!!! 😉😁
This is such a good idea. I wish I had a rail I could put my clothes on. Then you can just come and go as you please. I get irritated really quickly by trying on clothes

Reactions: 1
This is such a good idea. I wish I had a rail I could put my clothes on. Then you can just come and go as you please. I get irritated really quickly by trying on clothes
I got mine from IKEA a while ago. It was this one.
They probably sell similar elsewhere.

I got mine from IKEA a while ago. It was this one.
They probably sell similar elsewhere.
There is a cheaper model

Decluttered my nightwear drawer, definitely managed to get rid of more than 5 items 😊 Not comfortable attacking the rest of my clothes yet. Have set aside all the stuff that is too small, and I'll never fit in again, to sell but I'm struggling with my postpartum body so going to wear what I have until it falls apart and hopefully by then I'll know what size I am and what suits my new shape.

Reactions: 6
I've put some tins of food out on the worktop to annoy myself to get them used up.
This is such a good idea, I had to come back to say thank you!
I found a tin of tomatoes that were going to expire, so I had those on toast for lunch. My husband rediscovered his love for tinned spaghetti bolognase, I didn't even remember buying that lol.
And best of all, a small tin of potatoes, (which has been annoying me for ages, the tin is a different size to all of the others so it can't be stacked), has FINALLY been used to make a potato salad. 😁

Reactions: 5
Idk if anyone else does this but when you pack away your winter boots stuff them with thick winter socks to keep their shape.

Reactions: 3
This is such a good idea, I had to come back to say thank you!
I found a tin of tomatoes that were going to expire, so I had those on toast for lunch. My husband rediscovered his love for tinned spaghetti bolognase, I didn't even remember buying that lol.
And best of all, a small tin of potatoes, (which has been annoying me for ages, the tin is a different size to all of the others so it can't be stacked), has FINALLY been used to make a potato salad. 😁
Oh, thanks for this. I've been staring at the rogue tin of potatoes wondering what to do with them. 🤷
The potato salad recipe would be most welcome, please 🥺

Reactions: 3
Oh, thanks for this. I've been staring at the rogue tin of potatoes wondering what to do with them. 🤷
They are really tasty done as crispy potatoes in the airfyer!

I used up a few rogue purchased in lockdown tins that way.

Sorry, have only just seen this. Yes, we did the airfryer thing after seeing it on one of those "Aren't airfryers amazing?" type programmes on the telly. I sprayed a bit of oil in the fryer, dried the potatoes on kitchen roll before chucking them in, 196 degrees for 15 mins, I think? Mixed them with some crunchy salt, mayo and chopped spring onions, I didn't have any cabbage or owt like that, but it's probably more healthy if you do!

Sorted out my utensils and discovered 14 excess wooden spoons including this little chap:
IMG_20240511_163916.jpg

I obviously can't bin him, so he's now got pride of place at the front of my ceramic utensils holder - for aesthetic reasons of course!
When out with friends last night I was too embarrassed to mention my decluttering, as I knew talking about it would set me off waxing lyrical about the joy of decluttering, whilst all the while they would be eye rolling like mad. 😁

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
Sorted out my medicine drawer and chucked out any expired products. There wasn't much as I don't tend to keep a large stock of things.

Bought some acrylic drawers and used them to tidy up the undersink cupboard in my ensuite. Haa made the space much more usable and reduced the clutter.

Following on from sorting out my son's art cart I bought a storage box for his playdoh so all the little pots and tools are all stored together so I could chuck the broken boxes. Plus I bought some zippable plastic wallets and have put all his puzzles and smaller games in them so, again, I could chuck the broken boxes and reduce the space everything was taking up, making it easier to store.

Sorted out my airing cupboard and managed found a random duvet cover and a couple of threadbare towels to get rid of. Bought some storage boxes for the remaining bedding sets to tidy up the shelf as it was annoying me that they kept getting in the way of the laundry basket.

Still have loads to do but making slow progress while baby naps 😊 Hoping to have everything decluttered and sorted ready to sell up and move next year 🤞

• Heart