Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

1001 others

VIP Member
I thought I'd resurrect this thread as it has some great tips for anyone looking to declutter.

We don't have a lot of storage space in our house, so we have to use our space wisely. Although everything is neatly stored in plastic containers (all labelled to state the contents), there are so many of them that it can feel heavy.

This weekend, I decided to go through the bins containing tech bits and pieces, and home bits and pieces.

The tech bins had a multitude of charging leads, cables, USB-powered things ... just so much stuff. I made three piles - throw away, donate and keep. In the 'throw away' pile went anything that had seen its best days - frayed, marked, damaged in some way. In the 'donate' pile went anything I don't think we'll use. In the 'keep' pile went things we might need one day - spare laptop and charging cables, extension leads, power strips, etc. I took the time to wrap up what was remaining carefully, using rubber bands so they look far neater, and made up an inventory list which I attached to the (now smaller) plastic bin.

The home bits and pieces bin was a mess ... it contained batteries, light bulbs, picture hooks, etc., all scattered in amongst each other. I sorted the batteries by type, putting them in small plastic containers to then sit within the larger one; and I did the same with lightbulbs and other like-products. The end result was the same volume-wise, but it was far neater. Plus, I made an inventory list and attached that to the front too, so we can see at a glance what we have.

I'm motivated to continue, but I'm planning to focus on just one area every couple of days so I don't lose interest (which I tend to do!). Next up will be my pantry ... I normally keep food in its packets (and fold over the packaging using a peg), but I bought some great container sets on sale the other day which I'll transfer already-open food items into (and label the containers with my Dymo label printer afterwards). I'll also attack my kitchen at some stage later in the week ... I have a heap of old cups and glasses which we don't use (which I'll donate), and which I could really use the room for to store other things.

How's everyone else getting on?

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Kaydeelaydee

VIP Member
I have a basket full of herbs and spices, so many of which were bought for recipes made only once. I decided to give it a clear out yesterday. On dear God, the shame. I had fenugreek that was BBE 2003 😂😂😂😯😯😨😨

I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it with my own eyes. 11 jars/tubs ditched ranging from BBE 2003 to 2017.

I feel dirty.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8

Roarquaver

This is my first ever thread so sorry if I have done anything wrong..
I was just wondering if anyone would be interested in starting some sort of minimalism/decluttering challenge? Being on lockdown is the perfect opportunity but I always get so overwhelmed with the sheer amount of junk in my home, and seem to spend half my life moving piles of clutter from one place to another. Im single with two young kids so I really feel like I'm paddling frantically to keep afloat sometimes! So I thought I could start a thread for anyone wanting to do the same? A place for motivation, support, ideas and mini challenges? And by challenge I mean ones that are genuinely achievable and not 'clear out an entire room in an hour' etc!!
Sorry if there's already something similar about, I did check but I've also got lockdown brain fry so..X

Reactions: 7

1001 others

VIP Member
Just the feeling of a space being clearer - it has a huge psychological impact (for the better).

I swear my car is running better now I've vacuumed and shampooed the interior and exterior! (It wasn't cluttered with 'stuff', but it was cluttered with dust).

I've finished my kitchen and pantry. I took a heap of stuff to a charity shop, who refused it because they only want matching sets! So, I called Women's Refuge and a lovely lady came around and very gratefully took everything. It's so nice to open cupboards now and see space between items!

Reactions: 7

usefullyuseless

VIP Member
We've just done a massive clear out of our home. I'd been putting it off for months but we're getting work done and the house needed to be empty so I was ruthless and it was for the better. I donated about 50% of my wardrobe, stuff I hadn't worn in years and styles that don't suit me anymore. We also got a charity to come and take away pieces of furniture we didn't want, all good quality stuff but just not our style anymore.

Seeing the house so empty was a great feeling, I definitely want to keep it that way going forward, with regular clear outs. I want to enforce a 'one item in, at least two items out' policy particularly with clothes and only buy cosmetics and toiletries when I've used stuff up. It was a huge wake up call seeing how much stuff I had accumulated over the years and realising how little I genuinely use or need. I even feel mentally lighter knowing the house isn't full of clutter anymore.

If you're thinking of decluttering, definitely do it! Start with one cupboard or one room. Don't spend too long thinking about items, if you haven't worn/used/thought about them in 3 months then donate or dump! It can be overwhelming starting but you will feel the better for it when your house is clutter free.

• Heart
Reactions: 5

1001 others

VIP Member
This afternoon, I am going to start purging my computer bookmarks - 17,000 in total! - of things I've bookmarked, intending to go back and look at when I have time one day. That time never seems to come, so ...

• Wow
Reactions: 4

Fin

Chatty Member
Hello and welcome ❤. I actually started decluttering a few weeks back as we were supposed to be having work done on the house, it's on hold now obviously. I'm not a 'right, let's get this done now' I just take my time. I started with a massive cupboard that was so full of stuff there was no way you could access most of it. I just chipped away at it and did a little bit everyday, I was amazed how easy I found doing it that way. The only downside to decluttering right now is the closure of all the public recycling centres. There are normally recycling bins in many supermarket car parks though. Slow and steady is my motto.

• Heart
Reactions: 3

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
We cleaned out two sections of my sisters cupboard and took some clothing to donate to Tkmaxx yesterday. Going to drop off books today at a charity shop.

My sister said the same thing it felt cathartic.

Still have a long way to go which is overwhelming.

• Heart

Tangent Tiger

VIP Member
Yes I'd like to join in, it could be motivating. I'm very good with the kitchen, sitting room and bathrooms but strangely enough bad with my bedroom.

I don't have time today to start but will on Monday evening.

• Heart

Yel

Chatty Member
I moved at the start of the year and was only supposed to be a short term thing and now looks like it could be for a while.😬

Anyway I only unpacked the minimum I need for a few months and I feel so much better. Getting rid of clothes I don't wear and not having 20 different forks has improved my life so much. I've still got 16ish boxes of stuff and j want to go through them before I next move. Just 2 plates, 2 bowels, 2 spoons, 2 cups forces me to wash up and not stack dozens of dirty things up. I love it.

All this stuff really does tie you down. It's unbelievable how much better I feel not to have stuff untop of cupboards.

Next task is running down all the food I moved with but don't want to eat 🤪

Fin

Chatty Member
I have to admit this quarantine has opened my eyes to the amount of things I just do not need. A basket full of goodness knows how many different hair products for starters. My hair hasn't had a hairdryer never mind a product near it for three weeks and it's doing just fine. My wardrobe could also do with a fine tune. I had a good rampage through it a month or so ago but it can be pruned a bit more. House wise we are quite minimalist but same can't be said for our storage areas. Just one large cupboard left to work through but that will have to wait for a while yet.

Reactions: 2

Roarquaver

I definitely agree! I set myself little tasks in the morning eg find 3 things to throw away in the bathroom.. Otherwise I just can't face it

Sheabutter

VIP Member
I started composting kitchen things that I can’t donate and cannot use. Doesn’t feel nice per se but I’m sure a flower bed somewhere will love it.

• Heart

JCMSadie

VIP Member
Feel like I could have written that post myself. Just drowning in junk, especially since my ex has never taken his share of it. I need to declutter so bad!

Fin

Chatty Member
Once it's done it feels fabulous! I'm so proud of my lovely tidy cupboard now, everything boxed up or in the correct place.

Bec3007

VIP Member
I have clear outs every 2-3 months. I go through cupboards/wardrobes/drawers and throw anything I haven’t touched in that time. I know that’s extreme to some but if I haven’t used it in months then I clearly don’t need it. I’m a very organised person though, clutter drives me insane!

Roarquaver

I have clear outs every 2-3 months. I go through cupboards/wardrobes/drawers and throw anything I haven’t touched in that time. I know that’s extreme to some but if I haven’t used it in months then I clearly don’t need it. I’m a very organised person though, clutter drives me insane!
This is my dream! Have you seen minimalism on Netflix? I've started a wardrobe clearout which has been made a bit easier due to the fact that nothing fits me anymore after 2 kids! I totally agree with the clear mind thing.. Apparently Steve jobs wore that same outfit because he said it gave him more time to concentrate on important stuff, he wasn't faffing about what to wear..

Reactions: 1

thetis

I've watched the decluttering series of a lady on youtube for a while, her name is Erica Lucas. If anyone is feeling overwhelmed by the mountain of stuff waiting for them, I'd recommend checking her videos. It's not a 'Scandi-minimalist perfectly matching white furniture' type of decluttering, it's not perfect but the amount of work she has managed to get done has inspired me.

• Heart
Reactions: 1