Decluttering challenge

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How do you decide when just having a lot of stuff becomes 'clutter' please?
I have a lot of stuff but then I have a largish house so I have space for it. I do get rid of bits and pieces regularly, especially clothes and shoes, but also go through stages of thinking about getting rid of furniture etc....however I then worry my house will look bare!

I also know a couple of hoarders (one is particularly bad) and this probably skews my perspective because in comparison to how they live with stuff stacked to the ceiling, barely an inch of visible floor space etc my house looks pretty sparse.

Having said that I have to empty my bedroom this weekend (new carpet being fitted) so am going to go through everything as I do and see if there's anything to discard. I'm sure I will easily find 5 items to dispose of!

Reactions: 1
When I moved into my own flat at 19 I shoved everything in one room that I didn't need immediately, and over time it emptied out a bit. Then I just had the stuff I never needed in the time I lived there, so I just got rid.
The next time I did a big move of stuff years later when I moved from a bedroom in someone's house, my dad offered to help me move. When we'd finished he asked me how did you manage to squirrel all that stuff in there and still have space to walk? Are you Doctor Who???? 😂🤣😂
So I think I have hoarding tendencies, but I did like the having a separate room to dump everything in and take stuff from that I wanted/needed to keep.

Reactions: 2
I've got an entire downstairs toilet full of stuff for the charity shop. I'm constantly decluttering but still my house has way to much stuff. Got a new baby en route so needs to be done.

Reactions: 3
I've got an entire downstairs toilet full of stuff for the charity shop. I'm constantly decluttering but still my house has way to much stuff. Got a new baby en route so needs to be done.
Here's me wondering if any visitors have a root through whilst in that room.🤔
You'd think I lived in a museum or shop the way people act in my house, browsing my bookshelves etc when I just want them to sit down and chat! 😁

@OnlyHereForTheLolz 5 manky cotton wool buds you’d never want to touch your face are counted. Mentally you’ll end up saying to yourself “oh they don’t count” and you’ll crack on anyway.

@Lalla I know it’s “tipped” when I’ve bought more than one copy of the same book - or discover something completely unused which I’ve also bought a duplicate of. Or when you’ve got so much tit, you don’t have storage for it all. Because the storage you DO have is so full of tit you’ve forgotten what’s there.

I can’t remember who asked - buy weeding totally counts. Because it’s one of those jobs you just stop “seeing” even though you walk past it at least twice a day. And… if the sim is to re-stock the beds and make the garden a more usable (enjoyable) space then it’s doubly worth it.

Reactions: 6
I know it’s “tipped” when I’ve bought more than one copy of the same book - or discover something completely unused which I’ve also bought a duplicate of. Or when you’ve got so much tit, you don’t have storage for it all. Because the storage you DO have is so full of tit you’ve forgotten what’s there.
Thank you! This is helpful and a really good reminder (when I helped my hoarder friend have a clear out some years ago we found over 30 pairs of unworn jeans - because she'd buy them, forget where she'd put them, buy more etc 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ all the time just wearing the same one pair ☹

• Sad
I read this thread (from the savings thread) last week and it made me realise I have more clutter than I thought (someone said if you’ve not used something for 2 months it should be gone was pivotal so thank you 🙏🏻 )!

I’ve got 2 bags for life for the charity shop already, managed to sort my clothes whilst doing bedtime last night so a BOGOF of life admin moment there.

Has anyone got toddlers/pre school or early school aged kids and if so how do you de clutter their stuff kindly please? My LO’s type of play is definitely on the cusp of the next stage (more crafts, small world, puzzles/magnatiles, and less sensory/messy) which means I could clear some space in her playroom which is verging on being a bit overwhelming rn. I’d most like to get rid of a dolls house that she doesn’t play with (bought it before we moved closer to family, she prefers the old Victorian one at nanny’s house so saves her play for that?) but feel a bit weird of the idea of depriving her of access to anything as my mum was a major dick (for many reasons!) and would just bin cherished toys and not tell us.

Reactions: 2
I read this thread (from the savings thread) last week and it made me realise I have more clutter than I thought (someone said if you’ve not used something for 2 months it should be gone was pivotal so thank you 🙏🏻 )!

I’ve got 2 bags for life for the charity shop already, managed to sort my clothes whilst doing bedtime last night so a BOGOF of life admin moment there.

Has anyone got toddlers/pre school or early school aged kids and if so how do you de clutter their stuff kindly please? My LO’s type of play is definitely on the cusp of the next stage (more crafts, small world, puzzles/magnatiles, and less sensory/messy) which means I could clear some space in her playroom which is verging on being a bit overwhelming rn. I’d most like to get rid of a dolls house that she doesn’t play with (bought it before we moved closer to family, she prefers the old Victorian one at nanny’s house so saves her play for that?) but feel a bit weird of the idea of depriving her of access to anything as my mum was a major dick (for many reasons!) and would just bin cherished toys and not tell us.
I used to use NCT sales to sell my kids stuff. Mind you that was 16 years ago!

I used to swap kids toys with friends when mine was small. Then I knew if we wanted something back, we could politely ask for a "borrow". The kids enjoyed a range of toys they wouldn't otherwise have accessed and we all saved some money along the way. Technically you aren't decluttering, but it does give you a chance to also say when you don't want something back, and then you can ask if your child would like something specific if the other parents have it. Kids get so much these days don't they? 😂

Include her in the decluttering of toys. If you’ve ever watched any of these “sort your life out” programmes you would see kids are ruthless and often the parent shave more hangups about the toys.

I’m getting my late teenage daughter to declutter her room at the moment and the challenge is finding time she will do it. Once she’s on it she is much more brutal than me! I just remember her happy little face when she got her first smiggle pencil case or whatever and find it hard to get rid of. Hopefully she will be less of a keeper than me.

I’m having a big clothes sort out at the moment and just divided some stuff into charity shop - husband taking as we speak - and Vinted. I’ll list Vinted a bag at a time I think

I’m getting my late teenage daughter to declutter her room at the moment and the challenge is finding time she will do it. Once she’s on it she is much more brutal than me! I just remember her happy little face when she got her first smiggle pencil case or whatever and find it hard to get rid of. Hopefully she will be less of a keeper than me.

I’m having a big clothes sort out at the moment and just divided some stuff into charity shop - husband taking as we speak - and Vinted. I’ll list Vinted a bag at a time I think
Memory boxes are good for this and taking photographs of some things to put in the memory box before they are decluttered.

How do you decide when just having a lot of stuff becomes 'clutter' please?
I have a lot of stuff but then I have a largish house so I have space for it. I do get rid of bits and pieces regularly, especially clothes and shoes, but also go through stages of thinking about getting rid of furniture etc....however I then worry my house will look bare!

I also know a couple of hoarders (one is particularly bad) and this probably skews my perspective because in comparison to how they live with stuff stacked to the ceiling, barely an inch of visible floor space etc my house looks pretty sparse.

Having said that I have to empty my bedroom this weekend (new carpet being fitted) so am going to go through everything as I do and see if there's anything to discard. I'm sure I will easily find 5 items to dispose of!
To me it depends on how your belongings make you feel. I know people who love their big collection of nice knick knacks in a small space and do not feel smothered by it. I also know people who can't stand an extra chair even though their room is huge.

My clutter generally consists of:
- things that I've grown out of, emotionally or physically (clothes, shoes, accessories, decor of a certain style, some books, makeup)
- things that no longer serve a purpose (containers without lids, lids without containers, scratched/chipped and unsafe cookware, expired goods, expired medication, clothing with scratchy or uncomfortable materials, unrealistic exercise gear that I bought on a whim but never use, buttons that don't match anything, gadgets that are broken or never used, dried up shoe wax, leaflets/chargers/parts of machines I no longer own)
- things of which I forget the existence until I go through them once in a blue moon (old souvenirs that no longer remind me of anything, sentimental items that I can no longer attach to a memory or a feeling, old letters and cards and any sentimental item that trigger a bad feeling, Christmas/seasonal ornaments that I no longer like or use)

It's really personal though and if a 15 year old tatty tshirt still makes me feel great anytime I wear it around the house, I keep it. If a brand new pair of shoes have started to pinch my feet and I find myself avoiding them every time, I get rid of it.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6

I used to use NCT sales to sell my kids stuff. Mind you that was 16 years ago!

After following this thread, I have filled 2 bin bags of clothes this morning!!

• Heart
Not that great on the 5 things from.each room. But ive got a bag of clothes, a bag of rubbish (packaging, old wrapping paper wtc) from my bed room and 5 things from the bathroom!

So it's a atart 👍👍👍

Reactions: 12
I’ve made a start too. Magazines, old jars of spices, etc.,
Not 5 rooms but more than 5 things, so some progress :)

I saw this earlier and thought of us all; View attachment 2885510
This was literally me yesterday 😂 I looked and just saw chaos and piles of crap.

But I put something on fb marketplace yesterday and they're coming up to pick it up today (hopefully!) so that's another thing. And earmarked a few other things to list. I also got rid of an electric diffuser that doesn't work anymore but looked pretty on my side table. GONE I have no use for things that don't work anymore!!

Well done to everyone who made a start last week! Who's ready for another week of 5? 5 things in total, or 5 things from a couple of rooms - whatever you can manage!

Reactions: 5
I went through a big chest of drawers in my room and a couple of boxes - ended up with a wastepaper bin of rubbish, and an almost full bin bag of clothes to take to the recycling point. Also a bag of clothes that don't currently fit that I have packed away for now.

This week I'm going to carry on with clothes sorting and go through all the bathroom cupboards as I know there is stuff in there to get rid of!