Decluttering challenge

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The bathroom is a really easy place to start as there are usually a handful of lotions and potions which you last used 3 years ago - and are you REALLY going to use the pink box-dye? šŸ˜ Plus permission granted to bin the holey face cloths, manky loofahs and pumice stone containing 3649 unique strains of bacteria.

Bet you can find 5 random pieces of shite in the kitchen drawers too. Hello Nepalese hand-crafted salad servers, dog shaped biscuit cutters and a bag of screws left over from an ikea Billy bookcase.

5 things in a week is childā€™s play. 5 things per room minimum and you can do the bathroom and kitchen today. Boil the kettle and do the kitchen - and next time you go to the loo do the bathroom.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
The bathroom is a really easy place to start as there are usually a handful of lotions and potions which you last used 3 years ago - and are you REALLY going to use the pink box-dye? šŸ˜ Plus permission granted to bin the holey face cloths, manky loofahs and pumice stone containing 3649 unique strains of bacteria.

Bet you can find 5 random pieces of shite in the kitchen drawers too. Hello Nepalese hand-crafted salad servers, dog shaped biscuit cutters and a bag of screws left over from an ikea Billy bookcase.

5 things in a week is childā€™s play. 5 things per room minimum and you can do the bathroom and kitchen today. Boil the kettle and do the kitchen - and next time you go to the loo do the bathroom.
The holey face cloth hits me deepā€¦ earlier I put into the textile recycling a looney tunes flannel Iā€™ve had since I was probably single digits and had somehow formed an emotional attachment to?! I gave myself a talking to and put it in the pile with a few other (not as old) ones!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
I'm in. Have a bag in hall with pjs in already, will definitely get few more bits

Reactions: 1
Ooh glad to have found this thread! my head feels as cluttered as my drawers/wardrobes & need a good declutter-Its been on my mind for weeks just havenā€™t got the mental strength/capacity to get stuck in, it was driving me mad so last week jotted down on some post it notes what I wanted to do in each room. I actually felt great writing the jobs down felt a load lifted from my brain instantly & actually got stuck straight in to my kitchen.organised and decluttered so much tit its untrue have a bag of things for charity,binned aload and slowly tackling one drawer at a time elsewhere around the house!clothes being a big thing for me but Im being ruthless-those too small garments Im kidding myself that will fit again are gone,underwear,accessories GONE it feels great! Still a long way to go but the buzz from just starting small is what I needed/ recommend for anyone in need of starting a clear out! (Apologies for writing a complete novel my brain is clearly excitedšŸ˜…)

Reactions: 6
Since watching Sort Your Life Out I have a recurring dream of the vista of all my possessions laid out in a vast warehouse and only 2 days to decide what I'm keeping! šŸ˜²šŸ˜£šŸ˜¬šŸ„µšŸ„µšŸ„µšŸ„µ

• Haha
5 things per room sounds great. Let's just hope I remember to do it! I find I procrastinate and then forget about things :m

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I did my wardrobe the other day. .
So satisfying to finally be able to see what I've got in there.
Loaded a few bits in vinted, charity shop for others . .
Love this thread
Will definitely do the bathroom next šŸ‘ŒšŸ½

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I've sorted out the cutlery drawer. It's a really easy way to get rid of 5 items, nearly every home has loads of random knives and forks from long-ago cutlery sets, assorted chopsticks, bottle openers, weirdly shaped spoons, pastry brushes with 3 bristles or less, rusty can openers, etc, etc. I treated myself to a new drawer divider, the spare teaspoons have been donated to the work kitchen, everyone's a winner!
Next stop...that kitchen drawer where the string, sellotape, screws, nails and fuses, assorted elastic bands, and those little plastic bits of tat that you get in Christmas crackers, are all kept. Wish me luck, I'm going in! šŸ™šŸ˜±

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I've sorted out the cutlery drawer. It's a really easy way to get rid of 5 items, nearly every home has loads of random knives and forks from long-ago cutlery sets, assorted chopsticks, bottle openers, weirdly shaped spoons, pastry brushes with 3 bristles or less, rusty can openers, etc, etc. I treated myself to a new drawer divider, the spare teaspoons have been donated to the work kitchen, everyone's a winner!
Next stop...that kitchen drawer where the string, sellotape, screws, nails and fuses, assorted elastic bands, and those little plastic bits of tat that you get in Christmas crackers, are all kept. Wish me luck, I'm going in! šŸ™šŸ˜±
I actually enjoyed the cutlery drawer. Moved onto crockery and have donated excess to my local church for their kitchen stock.

When you do the kitchen drawer you can use the Ferrero Rocher plastic boxes with the lids. I can get at least 3 in my small drawers to separate out things like batteries.
I also use them in my bedside drawers too.
ferrero_rocher_chocolate_pralines_gift_box_of_chocolate_16_pieces_200g_1392_T596.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I actually enjoyed the cutlery drawer. Moved onto crockery and have donated excess to my local church for their kitchen stock.

When you do the kitchen drawer you can use the Ferrero Rocher plastic boxes with the lids. I can get at least 3 in my small drawers to separate out things like batteries.
I also use them in my bedside drawers too.
View attachment 2879966
Good excuse to eat Ferraro rocher too

• Haha
I use a pretty box for batteries. I think it contained baby socks - he now towers over meā€¦ so itā€™s been a while. šŸ˜

Iā€™m sorry to hear about the retirement of the Looney Tunes flannel - I hope it received a solemn service and heartfelt send off for services rendered. šŸ˜¢

For ā€œtoo smallā€ clothes - honestly, Iā€™m divided. Iā€™m losing weight right now and ā€œshopping my wardrobeā€. Itā€™s great to have stuff ready to go, already paid for and in my style - but, thereā€™s also stuff thatā€™s kind of tatty and I shouldā€™ve got rid of years ago. I have however got rid of all the 6ā€ stilettos - my arse may shrink, but Iā€™m too old for that tit now.

Today Iā€™ve got to load up the car for the tip as Iā€™m off tomorrow. Itā€™s 50 miles away ffs so Iā€™m going to try and fill the car as best I can.

• Heart
Howā€™s everyone getting on? I wonā€™t make the charity shop drop off this week as itā€™s only open a couple of times which just donā€™t work for me this week. Made it to the tip which was great as two of the items had been sat in the garden for 2 years while I tried to figure out what to do with them. šŸ˜³

We need to book a visit to the tip this weekend and have 2 bags of clothes to go to charity. Really hopeful they will be gone by the end of the weekend šŸ™ƒ

Reactions: 2
I joined a decluttering membership to see if it helps.. today I tidied my desk area which tends to be a dumping ground/kids get stuff out and leave it there. recycled lots of paper stuff, binned a couple of bits, repaired something that was waiting to be fixed and generally tidied. Looks much better now. Wouldnā€™t have done it without the accountability so itā€™s working so far!

Iā€™m being pulled in all directions this week and Iā€™m exhausted.
I have a few hours to myself on Sunday though, and in a slight change of plan, Iā€™m going to clear out my cleaning cupboard and food cupboard old jars of herbs and nearly empty cleaning products that Iā€™ve not really liked, should mean Iā€™ll easily get rid of at least 5 things!

Iā€™ve declutterred 4 things so farā€¦.
The aforementioned Looney Tunes flannel (plus others)
Some cardboard boxes
Cleared out my desk draw
Threw out old gloopy nail vanishes

Hoping to have some time at the weekend to clear out the Tupperware cupboard (yes there is a cupboard full of the stuff)

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Has anyone used one of those clothing banks at Tesco? Thinking of taking some bags there at the weekend. Iā€™ve been decluttering and vacā€™d a load of stuff but thought, I wouldnā€™t miss them if I couldnā€™t open them again so might just donate instead of storing. I canā€™t be bothered selling on.
---
Iā€™m being pulled in all directions this week and Iā€™m exhausted.
I have a few hours to myself on Sunday though, and in a slight change of plan, Iā€™m going to clear out my cleaning cupboard and food cupboard old jars of herbs and nearly empty cleaning products that Iā€™ve not really liked, should mean Iā€™ll easily get rid of at least 5 things!
I done my herbs/spices recently and it was very therapeutic. Need to tackle the cupboards next.

• Heart
I did some decluttering yesterday in the kitchen while cooking. Got rid of a a fair amount of crap but coukd do with more! How are people counting the 5 items? I literally just think 5, even if itā€™s 5 cotton balls.
Hoping to do a more thorough declutter this wkend.
---
My goal is five items from every room, although the downstairs toilet will have to count flushing as ā€œdeclutteringā€ as thereā€™s only loo roll and soap

• Haha
Reactions: 2
So far so good. Have decluttered some skincare and makeup (shared on the Share Your Empties thread) but so far decluttered 16 products. Sorted out the baby clothes yesterday that no longer fit my youngest. Have kept the suit that he and my eldest wore home from the hospital and put aside a few nicer bits to sell on Vinted. Rest of the stuff I'll put as a bundle on Faceboon Marketplace. With the bundle should I just keep it as newborn to first month clothes or add in the 0-3 months too? It's a decent sized bundle already but is limited by size. Any thoughts? Also, would weeding count as decluttering the garden? šŸ˜‚

• Heart
So far so good. Have decluttered some skincare and makeup (shared on the Share Your Empties thread) but so far decluttered 16 products. Sorted out the baby clothes yesterday that no longer fit my youngest. Have kept the suit that he and my eldest wore home from the hospital and put aside a few nicer bits to sell on Vinted. Rest of the stuff I'll put as a bundle on Faceboon Marketplace. With the bundle should I just keep it as newborn to first month clothes or add in the 0-3 months too? It's a decent sized bundle already but is limited by size. Any thoughts? Also, would weeding count as decluttering the garden? šŸ˜‚
Yeah, Iā€™d make the baby clothes one big bundle. Also ebay no longer charges fees for selling second hand clothing so try and see if you could sell the bundle on there

Reactions: 1