Decluttering challenge

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've watched the decluttering series of a lady on youtube for a while, her name is Erica Lucas. If anyone is feeling overwhelmed by the mountain of stuff waiting for them, I'd recommend checking her videos. It's not a 'Scandi-minimalist perfectly matching white furniture' type of decluttering, it's not perfect but the amount of work she has managed to get done has inspired me.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
This afternoon, I am going to start purging my computer bookmarks - 17,000 in total! - of things I've bookmarked, intending to go back and look at when I have time one day. That time never seems to come, so ...

• Wow
Reactions: 6
I thought I’d bump this as I know a few of us are looking to simplify our lives.

Got to the wee nook under the stairs and dug out the treadmill which has gathered dust for 3 4 years. Doesn’t bloody work. So that can go to the tip. Moved a mystery box from there to my bedroom which I think contains sports clothes I can finally fit into again.

I’m also going to take 2 pairs of ski boots to the top when I go because it’s been so long, the plastic will have degraded and won’t be safe anymore.

Reactions: 9
I'm desperate to do something, my house is awful, we have way too much stuff, and it's just everywhere. It's making me so depressed.

I'm looking at getting one of those Hippo bags, taking a week off work and just going through every room in the house and being ruthless

Ugh I need to declutter so badly, I want my home back and it feels so very overwhelming at times. I attempted the Marie Kondo method at one point but just ended up with all my clothes on my bed and no where to sleep until I lost all motivation and put them all back in the wardrobe and on the floor 😕 I have found a method which works better for me - check out A Slob comes Clean - but am still lacking momentum...any suggestions for a kick up the arse? 🙏

Reactions: 4
In 2023 I set mysef a goal to declutter 2023 things which I met. I am doing 2024 in 2024. I find little and often works best for me with decluttering. Just 5 or 10 minutes here and there fairly adds up. I love counting up all the things and using timers. I love the feeling after a bit of decluttering, a bit lighter and less overwhelmed.

I’ve come back home from two months away and my place feels so cluttered. I’m kind of taking the tactic of, if I didn’t use it in the past 2 months then do I need it at all? I’m going to go room to room and work my way through each draw/cupboard etc.

In 2023 I set mysef a goal to declutter 2023 things which I met. I am doing 2024 in 2024. I find little and often works best for me with decluttering. Just 5 or 10 minutes here and there fairly adds up. I love counting up all the things and using timers. I love the feeling after a bit of decluttering, a bit lighter and less overwhelmed.
I did the same challenge! Went way over in the end, haven’t been counting this year though.

Reactions: 3
The Marie Kondo approach worked a treat for me a few years ago. I can see how decanting your entire wardrobe onto your bed can be overwhelming. What I do now is do one drawer, if I feel like it I’ll do another and another etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I started decluttering last year. At one point, I found a big amazon box. When I opened it, it contained a yoga mat. I had no recollection of purchasing this mat!!!

Anyway, I was doing well last year but this year I feel like I'm back to square one.

Well not really, cos I know I've not got any unopened amazon boxes. So maybe square 2!!!

Reactions: 7
I'm desperate to do something, my house is awful, we have way too much stuff, and it's just everywhere. It's making me so depressed.

I'm looking at getting one of those Hippo bags, taking a week off work and just going through every room in the house and being ruthless
That’s such a massive ask. That’s the equivalent of saying “I’m sure I can pack this house up in a week and not move any junk halfway across the country”. *

A little at a time is more mentally manageable IMO. Dumping everything into the middle of the room will just literally create a mountain of confusion.

I think you need some clearer surfaces and space to figure out what’s going on.

I try to make a point of going into each room and finding 5 things which can be dealt with be it bin, charity shop or wrong room. I keep a bin bag in my bedroom for charity shop stuff so it can go from the washing basket to there. I’m also thinning the herd of books but to do all the bookcases in one go is too much - plus the charity shop don’t like it. So 5 a bag is great.

The less I have - the more I can see I have - eg yoga mat!

It’s still very much a work in progress and long-term project - the aforementioned ski boots and treadmill did a 500 mile house move.Tbh I think the treadmill worked before it went in the lorry but whatever… the ski boots boils definitely not made the trip!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Joining in here, during the lockdown I had a routine of doing a drawer or cupboard each weekend which was very manageable, went through my apartment in no time. I just to get the motivation to do again as stiff has built up- though not as much as previously as I'm quite strict with my buying now

That’s such a massive ask. That’s the equivalent of saying “I’m sure I can pack this house up in a week and not move any junk halfway across the country”. *

A little at a time is more mentally manageable IMO. Dumping everything into the middle of the room will just literally create a mountain of confusion.

I think you need some clearer surfaces and space to figure out what’s going on.

I try to make a point of going into each room and finding 5 things which can be dealt with be it bin, charity shop or wrong room. I keep a bin bag in my bedroom for charity shop stuff so it can go from the washing basket to there. I’m also thinning the herd of books but to do all the bookcases in one go is too much - plus the charity shop don’t like it. So 5 a bag is great.

The less I have - the more I can see I have - eg yoga mat!

It’s still very much a work in progress and long-term project - the aforementioned ski boots and treadmill did a 500 mile house move.Tbh I think the treadmill worked before it went in the lorry but whatever… the ski boots boils definitely not made the trip!
With this in mind, and it being Monday and all, shall we set ourselves the challenge that by next Monday we have gathered 5 things that can either go to the charity shop or in the bin.

It can be either 5 in total, or 5 from a few rooms…depending how easy/hard you find the challenge.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
With this in mind, and it being Monday and all, shall we set ourselves the challenge that by next Monday we have gathered 5 things that can either go to the charity shop or in the bin.

It can be either 5 in total, or 5 from a few rooms…depending how easy/hard you find the challenge.
I'm up for that!

Can I join you please? 5 things from a few rooms seems doable for me.
I want to actually get rid of several pieces of furniture that have actually just become storing ground for all the stuff that we don’t need but I can’t part with!
So the aim is to start decluttering the cabinet and blanket box that I want to be free of!

• Heart
I can think of 5 things from my bedroom that need to go so I am up for the challenge of actually getting them out of the house.

The Marie Kondo approach worked a treat for me a few years ago. I can see how decanting your entire wardrobe onto your bed can be overwhelming. What I do now is do one drawer, if I feel like it I’ll do another and another etc.
I do similar - I really like Marie Kondo approach but can’t be as minimalistic as I’d like. What I do is categories of clothes for instance I’ve just done dresses, undies, t shirts etc and need to do jumpers and scarves (end of winter) at the end of of a season.

But I do the same as you for other things eg the kitchen

• Heart
Love the idea of a challenge - particularly such an achievable one! I've two sports jackets for the charity shop. The jackets are for a team my kids no longer play for but someone will be happy with them.

Need to declutter the house as we're hoping to move next year. I've been trying to declutter different areas of my home whenever the baby is having a nap. Unfortunately he doesn't especially like being put down so it's hampering progress 😂 OH has taken off a day this week so he can look after wee one and I'll be able to focus on a couple of project areas. Quite looking forward to it 😁

Count me in 👍👍👍

• Heart