Deactivating/Deleting Social Media

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Reviving this thread if that's ok. I've recently deleted all social media apps off my phone. I felt like I was spending way too much time flicking between Facebook and Instagram and it was taking up hours a day when I could be doing something like reading or going on a walk. Not sure how long it will last but I do feel calmer. Obviously can't give up Tattle though šŸ¤£ Has anyone else given up any social media accounts and did it have a positive impact on your life? Thanks

Reactions: 11
I use Instagram seeing family photos for finding healthy food ideas but find myself getting annoyed at the big slimming accounts with constant bragging and lies. I use Facebook when I was promoting my business and keeping in touch with friends from the hospital but I didnā€™t use that as much. I worked in counselling and Iā€™ve volunteered on support lines and Iā€™ve found social media can be very damaging to peoples mental health and relationships if they allow it to get out of control.

Reactions: 4
I deleted all my social media back in 2017 when my son was born, and joined again in 2020. I felt as if I had to join again as his nursery would only communicate and show pictures of him via FB. Also other nursery mums making contact for play dates; they would know my name and thatā€™s easier than finding my phone number.

We have just moved away (Nottingham to Birmingham) and Iā€™m considering deleting it again to have a ā€œfresh startā€. Iā€™ve had a really bad few traumatic months (losing my daughter, losing my grandpa, husband being made redundant) and I do feel as if everyone feels sorry for me and I want it to stop. However stupidly Iā€™ve signed up for a charity gaming event for SANDS so I need to document that!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Weirdly enough I deactivated Twitter this morning because itā€™s just so negative with people moaning, being horrible to each other and constant talk of covid (even though I muted the word) and then I saw this thread. I also have Facebook (deactivated it for about 4 years and then had to reactivate it as my work has a group and I got fomo as things were being put in there and not in the WhatsApp group). I still hate it though and post absolutely nothing šŸ˜‚ similarly with Instagram, my last post was in September and Iā€™ve unfollowed a lot of people recently. Trying harder not to just scroll mindlessly now and itā€™s going well so far.

My brain doesnā€™t have the space for peopleā€™s drama's and having things flogged at me.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
I really want to cut down on SM usage. I have a timer set on IG that appears and that does help. Twitter I use mainly for work. I donā€™t have Facebook, I deleted about 5 years ago now.

Iā€™ve started doing hobbies like diamond painting on a night to stop my phone usage.

Reactions: 3
I don't tend to deactivate stuff, I just stop using it. I do still have Twitter, but I probably only check it once every 1-2 weeks and, even then, it's only generally factual accounts. As others have said, it seems to have turned into people being nasty and arguing constantly back and forth.

I think I'm getting older as I just find Facebook so confusing. On my phone, my feed or groups are never in date order - even if I think I've changed it. So I can read something posted yesterday, then scroll down and read something posted an hour ago. I'm sure I could figure it out if I needed to, but I don't really care enough to be honest!

I've got Instagram and only have close family members as friends on it. So I probably check it once a month or so. I think it's good only having family on it, because then I know I won't start following celebrities and posting messages - I'd never hear the end of it from my nephew. šŸ˜‚

Reactions: 2
Iā€™ve just read this thread and deleted Facebook and Instagram apps from my phone šŸ˜€ Iā€™m always comparing my life to others and itā€™s damaging I think. If I was born 50 years ago I wouldnā€™t have a clue what my classmates were up to and I wouldnā€™t care.

Iā€™ve got people on there from school, who I didnā€™t even speak to and wouldnā€™t give me the time of day, and Iā€™m updated with their life and children?! Why???!!! šŸ¤ÆšŸ¤ÆšŸ¤ÆšŸ¤Æ

Reactions: 13
Weirdly enough I deactivated Twitter this morning because itā€™s just so negative with people moaning, being horrible to each other and constant talk of covid (even though I muted the word) and then I saw this thread. I also have Facebook (deactivated it for about 4 years and then had to reactivate it as my work has a group and I got fomo as things were being put in there and not in the WhatsApp group). I still hate it though and post absolutely nothing šŸ˜‚ similarly with Instagram, my last post was in September and Iā€™ve unfollowed a lot of people recently. Trying harder not to just scroll mindlessly now and itā€™s going well so far.

My brain doesnā€™t have the space for peopleā€™s drama's and having things flogged at me.
IMO Twitter is turning into the new linked in, especially if you use it for professional use like I did

I got rid of my Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter and TikTok accounts last year. Was spending far too much time on them and it was interfering with my studies.

I still have Pinterest, WhatsApp and BeReal. I tried to join Digital Spy but am still waiting for approval. Joined Tattle today because it was recommended and not so horrible compared to some of the bigger sites

I deleted Instagram last year and feel so much better for it. I found myself wasting hours falling down the rabbit hole of the Explore feed, comparing myself to the perfect pictures of people I donā€™t even know in real life!
Iā€™d really like to delete Facebook but Iā€™m finding it much harder to take the plunge. Itā€™s so handy for finding out local information, researching businesses/ tradesmen etc and for the groups where I can speak to other people with the same interests as me. But I do hate the mindless scrolling I inevitably end up doing as soon as I open the app!

Iā€™m going to delete my twitter account for the same reasons. People can be nasty on all social media platforms but I have found people on twitter are the the worst for this. Some really awful people on there.

I wonder if some of the posters on this site kept to their word?

I find Twitter useful to look things up like why is my banking app not working - you can see there is a general problem rather than specific to you. Other than that, I rarely go on Twitter. Also useful for complaining. Unfortunately some companies donā€™t respond to complaints or donā€™t handle properly, if you contact them over Twitter they are quick to react. But there is no nuanced debate on them - you are either for or against, no middle ground.

Instagram - never really a poster myself but occasional browser. I hate the rubbish ads, the false photos of people having great lives, the way it has made people into show offs. I rarely check on there.

Facebook - donā€™t think I have been on it, never felt the need. Tik Tok, not on there.

This site is a real time thief, the interface is so easy to use! And it is so fast moving. I am reducing my usage because I am neglecting stuff. Clean that bathroom, nah go on Tattle. Do life admin, let me just check TL. And I have neglected books, proper reading for pleasure. My attention span is shot. Even watching tv I keep an eye out on here, so rationing my time on here.

I do think social media has had a detrimental effect on society. Everyone wants to be seen, or want to document the fact they had beans on toast for dinner. We are being ruled by our machines!

I wonder if some of the posters on this site kept to their word?

I find Twitter useful to look things up like why is my banking app not working - you can see there is a general problem rather than specific to you. Other than that, I rarely go on Twitter. Also useful for complaining. Unfortunately some companies donā€™t respond to complaints or donā€™t handle properly, if you contact them over Twitter they are quick to react. But there is no nuanced debate on them - you are either for or against, no middle ground.

Instagram - never really a poster myself but occasional browser. I hate the rubbish ads, the false photos of people having great lives, the way it has made people into show offs. I rarely check on there.

Facebook - donā€™t think I have been on it, never felt the need. Tik Tok, not on there.

This site is a real time thief, the interface is so easy to use! And it is so fast moving. I am reducing my usage because I am neglecting stuff. Clean that bathroom, nah go on Tattle. Do life admin, let me just check TL. And I have neglected books, proper reading for pleasure. My attention span is shot. Even watching tv I keep an eye out on here, so rationing my time on here.

I do think social media has had a detrimental effect on society. Everyone wants to be seen, or want to document the fact they had beans on toast for dinner. We are being ruled by our machines!
Youā€™re quite right! I still have all my accounts but dip in and out every so often, Iā€™m not really arsed anymore. Youā€™re right about Tattle too, this takes up far too much of my time.

I deleted Facebook years ago, best thing I did. I felt like anyone could snoop on my private life and I felt pressured to share things about my life like photos of me, relationships, friends, nights out, workplace etc and its really just not necessary! I have whatsapp now and that's it. I'm alot happier, less self conscious, not comparing my lives to others as much. I just keep in contact with the people I want in my life now on whatsapp.

Reactions: 7
I was addicted to social media for years deleted all the apps as it made me less likely to go on them and I did cut back a bit but Iā€™ve since deactivated fb. I still have Instagram but Iā€™m rarely on it nowadays. Iā€™m hoping to set up my own nail tech business soon so need to keep it for now until I get my business out there a bit and then tbh I will probably delete my own personal Instagram eventually. I havenā€™t had Twitter in years. I just find it all so fake and competitive who has the best car, best house, best dressed etc and full of people just looking validation. I canā€™t be bothered with it anymore.

Gave up FB a few years ago and hands down itā€™s the best thing I ever did. Made me feel tit about myself seeing everyone constantly flaunt the highlights of their lives. Yes, Iā€™m happy for you but when things arenā€™t going great in your own life then itā€™s difficult to not compare. No one ever posts their tit days do they?

I also value my privacy more as Iā€™ve got older and donā€™t want everyone knowing my business. I know you can set privacy restrictions but I do think itā€™s scary how much people share on FB and I think itā€™s negatively impacted upon social relationships. People I thought were friends IRL have now drifted off into FB friends. Itā€™s all surface level friendship and they only know whatā€™s going on in your life if you post it on social media.

Iā€™m still on Instagram as I donā€™t find it as competitive following people I donā€™t know in real life. Tik tok Iā€™ve recently joined but itā€™s again more to watch mindless tit from people I donā€™t know.

The worse thing is I love reading, but my attention span is terrible now. Being online a lot just ruins your concentration. Itā€™s all swipe here and click on this so when you read a book or a magazine it is hard to keep focus on one thing. I used to read lots of books but it has reduced so much. It was a resolution of mine to get back into it, it is relaxing and escapism. It is crazy how much focus has switched to sitting mindlessly online. Or you read about lazy husbands who spend their time in a chair on a games console not engaged with family life, only interested in gaming. Same thing I guess.

This relates to teenagers but I think it applies to a lot of adults too.

• Heart
I really like Twitter as I am really interested/work in nature and conservation so follow a lot of researchers and conservationists. It's kept the space pretty positive, well apart from the negative like climate change news etc but I don't see any of the toxic, racist and far right crap.

I still have FB but never ever go on it. I only have it because I've got loads of photos that I don't want to lose. I might try see if there is a way to download them all at once to save me time..

I like Insta much more since I've unfollowed all influencers - don't want my follow to contribute to their success šŸ˜‚ but I don't post much.

The worse thing is I love reading, but my attention span is terrible now. Being online a lot just ruins your concentration. Itā€™s all swipe here and click on this so when you read a book or a magazine it is hard to keep focus on one thing. I used to read lots of books but it has reduced so much. It was a resolution of mine to get back into it, it is relaxing and escapism. It is crazy how much focus has switched to sitting mindlessly online. Or you read about lazy husbands who spend their time in a chair on a games console not engaged with family life, only interested in gaming. Same thing I guess.

This relates to teenagers but I think it applies to a lot of adults too.
My attention span is terrible these days. I am also trying to get back into reading for longer periods.

• Heart
My attention span is terrible these days. I am also trying to get back into reading for longer periods.
The realisation for me is when I was reading a hard copy magazine and I did the finger gesture to enlarge print. I wish I was joking.

• Haha
Reactions: 9