Deactivating/Deleting Social Media

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hated Facebook it was a witch fest of older family moaning they don’t see my kids 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄 IT WORKS BOTH WAYS!!!!
and whose kids wore the best outfit / have the most fun.
Instagram I have to follow dogs 😂😂 even that’s getting old. My goal this year is to be social media free or an hour a week. Like I talk to nobody I hate people in general. I’ve decided to get my trusty canon out and play with that and I also want to do more walks out I’ve got myself a map and everything.
I got rid of youtube because my kids turned into brats that appreciated nothing 🤬 I tit you not they thought they could act like YouTube kids and that lasted a week.
Social media depressed me I refuse to let it happen any more.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I feel very sorry for my children that they're growing up in this age of SM. They don't even talk to friends, they just message. Like when I fancied a boy, you had to actually speak to him on the phone or in person but they don't even ring each other, it's all done through message.

I joined FB years back as I wanted to see what my nephew's girlfriend looked like! I use it to stay in touch with family, it's a way we share photos but at first I was the only one of my siblings on it but they've slowly all joined and now on birthdays a message is posted on FB whereas they used to actually ring and say happy birthday!
Yes, I read that teenagers don't even really know how to have a phone call! So bad for social skills. I am glad my childhood was spent outdoors and playing on the street with friends.

Reactions: 4
The only social media I have now is Instagram.

I had Facebook, and while I enjoyed seeing what others were up to, I found it was making my mental healthworse as I compared to much so I bit the bullet and deactivated a few months ago.I keep in contact with the important people through email and text. I feel a lot better without it!

Instagram I don’t use often, mainly just post for the filters. It’s mainly just for me, I Don’t even have any followers I don’t think. 😂 I like looking back at my posts like a gallery of memories.

I first joined Facebook back in 2007 when a new friend I made sent me the Facebook link. It was all newish and I loved keeping in contact with friends etc especially as I lived away from home for a few years. After a while it become all about passive aggressive statues, competitiveness, fake attention seeking rubbish. I stopped using it and went over to Instagram but then my mental health started to decline massively. Because of social media - I constantly felt I did not have enough and I weren’t good enough. I developed extreme anxiety after joining Instagram. To the point I started to distrust my friends and close family as I was paranoid constantly that I was being judged. I stopped inviting people to my home and become reclusive. I believed all the Bullshit on Instagram etc and throughout the years I just got worse and worse where I would eat my feelings and ended up with a 5 stone weight gain and antidepressants to go with it. My hair started to fall out and I constantly came out in hives through stress. My Instagram as now gone for good but I did try to get back onto Facebook and made a couple of accounts over year or so ago but they were deactivated Within days as I just can’t cope with it anymore. I have tried to get my bigger social friendship group back numerous of times but unfortunately I have just outgrown them and I ain’t that person I was anymore. Social media - (mainly Instagram) damaged me massively. I have been in therapy for the last 12 months and even though I am better with my expectations of myself and I learnt though therapy that I am enough - I’ve also hardened and Ive realised I don’t need anyone or anything to make me a better person - I only need me in order to be a better person. I have also learned opinions are like arseholes - we all have one. I don’t get upset anymore over other people’s thoughts and opinions.

However I am no longer that social butterfly who’s trusting of everyone. I was so helbent on getting her back but to be honest I’ve now accepted she’s gone and I’m now really happy with the person in her place. Introvert is so 2020 😂. I don’t have or want social media anymore and I love my own company. I have two good friends that I enjoy being around but only see once every few months and we are all happy with that and that’s enough for me. I don’t want to live my life on social media or through other people’s lives. I want to travel, read books, go on long walks, bake etc and do everything that I was missing out on because I was too busy on my phone. Which comes onto my next part.

Tattle has been also a massive help to me as it’s helped me to see all the bullshit that’s on social media and that’s been a good thing too. It’s really helped me heal. Ive realised I’m no different to anyone else. No one is perfect with perfect lives as much as the fakes on Instagram want us to believe. Tattle as showed me that so I thank you as I feel more confident now to go and live a life in front of my eyes and not within my phone. I’ve babbled here but hopefully I’ve answered the question.

Happy new year x

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I used to read so many books and have Def found myself on SM more during the holidays. That's why today, I decided to get rid. Haha.
I used to read a book a week and now I probably read about 3 a year max. I cannot concentrate anymore to read unless I’m on holiday. I actually detest it and have seriously considered going back to a basic phone that I can only use to call or text from.

The mindless scrolling is frying my brain cells and makes me agitated yet I can’t seem to break the habit

Reactions: 10
I have fb but only use it for messenger and haven't been on my profile / newsfeed since September.
The only other one I have is Snapchat cause I just have my mates and family on there !
Deleting the rest especially instagram has made me live in the moment more and stop caring about what others think. I've become more interesting now cause everyone thinks I'm mysterious lol

Reactions: 2
Hated Facebook it was a witch fest of older family moaning they don’t see my kids 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄 IT WORKS BOTH WAYS!!!!
and whose kids wore the best outfit / have the most fun.
Instagram I have to follow dogs 😂😂 even that’s getting old. My goal this year is to be social media free or an hour a week. Like I talk to nobody I hate people in general. I’ve decided to get my trusty canon out and play with that and I also want to do more walks out I’ve got myself a map and everything.
I got rid of youtube because my kids turned into brats that appreciated nothing 🤬 I tit you not they thought they could act like YouTube kids and that lasted a week.
Social media depressed me I refuse to let it happen any more.
" I talk to nobody I hate people in general" This is so me 😂😂

• Haha
Think I am going to bite the bullet and do this today! Going to deactivate Facebook and debating whether to just delete the instagram app. I spend way too much time on it comparing myself to others and buying the clothes they promote when I don’t even go out anywhere to wear them 😩

Reactions: 3
No Facebook or twitter for a couple of years now. WeaNing myself off of Instagram gradually, unfollowed about 150 or so accounts before NYE, was shocked how much I mindlessly scrolled when I set up screen time. Still not perfect but defo improving. Great thread by the way and I agree about teenagers, it saddens me to see mine hidden behind screens & does little to help with confidence... daily battle which I must lead from the front on!!! 🙄

I am making a conscious effort not to aimlessly scroll through social media this year. Unfollowed (or muted!) lots of people on Instagram and facebook yesterday. Social media is the worst for comparing yourself to others and never is all as it seems behind the photo.

I deleted Facebook 6 years ago. I saw a great little clip on IG by okayemotions, really highlights how people behave around SM . It was posted on the 26th Nov .

Yel

I never scroll on them, it's a deeply unfulfilling experience. They do their best with the algorithm to keep you barely entertained and keep scrolling in the hope of getting a slight dopamine hit.

FB has been cut to just a few people that I actually see regularly, would delete it all together but sadly some important groups are on there.

I’m too nosy to delete social media. I don’t really use them much tho; more of a lurker than anything.

Deleted the Twitter app over 4 months ago and not looked back since. I was absolutely obsessed with it beyond what anyone could consider "normal". My mental health improved so much and the next one I want to target is instagram. It's really hard sometimes as there is some sort of addictive substance to it. Its actually quite scary. I mainly play video games which helps so much. At least it's better than endless scrolling.

Reactions: 1
I deleted my Facebook account over a year ago - was talked into reactivating it just before Christmas by some friends (so they could tag me in pictures 😂) and deactivated it again within 24 hours. It was just so bleeping DULL 😴

My Facebook page is quite boring now. Nobody posts much but I need to keep it for the various groups I’m in. I enjoy talking to people I don’t know rather than those I do. Family and close friends excluded of course x😀

I deleted my facebook and instagram about 2 years and honestly feel so much better without social media. You realise who your true friends are.

Got off FB Years ago, no twitter either and took IG off a couple months ago! It’s so nice. I only use WhatsApp to communicate w family and friends overseas. It’s definitely much better without them! I read so much more and started knitting (everyone laughs at me for it) but it’s nice to be creative and make stuff as opposers to scrolling through social media!

I was going to deactivate everything for January. I have twitter but mainly just for looking at the hashtags of programs I watch for memes. I never post. I deleted then reactivated Facebook. I don’t have the app but the two clubs I joined to make new friends use it to post updates. So I check their pages 1/2 times a week. I dint bother with anything.
I’ve had SM since face pic/ face party. Then only MySpace/ Bebo etc. I’m a child of the internet. I barely use the phone, everything is through text.
My husband doesn’t understand it but he’s older and went away for school. So wasn’t on msn and aol chat.
I have a pre teen daughter who has SM. She’s all about tiktok. Her friends have public accounts. She isn’t allowed public till she’s 18. Everything is locked down and monitored. She’s also limited on how much time she is allowed to spend on them. Seems to be working. It’s such a part of life now, I’m just trying to teach her how to use is effectively not detrimentally

Ha. We have a pet Instagram account as family wanted photos and I didn't want to be uploading them to my main account. I still have that but barely follow any humans, mostly dogs. I actually just deleted the IG app too. I read you can upload via desktop now which I will just do for our pet account.
Yeah but you cant read DM's on desktop or laptop.