Deactivating/Deleting Social Media

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've tried to delete the facebook app from my phone but it isnt an option so I've logged out for now. I hope I can stay off it as i find myself mindlessly scrolling.

Not had Facebook for 5 years or a personal Instagram for a few months now.

Will never reactivate either!
I deleted Facebook during the whole Brexit thing as I had friends from both sides of the fence and the fighting between them was so intense I got fed up of it, so I deleted it and have never went back.

I'm struggling with Facebook right now.
The school fb groups are useful.
I don't hate all my fb freinds.
The specific virus groups doing my head in.
Even some local residents groups scarier than normal.
Posts like I'm scared to put my him out as people might judge me can relate so easy say the wrong thing and someone to have a pop be kind clearly long gone.
But most off all my family love far away It's best way they can keep in touch and know we ok.
I no longer post very Personal things on fb.

Insta I'm enjoying more lately influencers and ads seem more irrelevant and found better people to follow.

Left Twitter ages ago.
Not on snap chat

Reactions: 2
I deactivated Instagram over a month ago. Went back on a week ago. But I never check it anymore. Just goes to show it’s an easy habit to break and I wasn’t missing much. I very rarely check fb either.

Reactions: 1
I deactivated Facebook the other day but went back on it today 🤦‍♀️ being at home more at the moment means I can’t resist spending time on it. There are some groups I like on there but there’s no-one I would miss if I came off it. Everyone I want to speak to I have their number and I message them anyway. Facebook is basically a way for me to nose at what old school friends and exes are doing so it really serves no real purpose but I can’t seem to get away from it!

I'm going through a break up so deactivated Facebook for a few weeks. Went back on at the weekend just for something to do, and don't feel like I'm missing it at all. I've not been on Instagram in weeks.

Deleted my Instagram app as I'm sick of mindlessly scrolling through people who I don't know and don't give a tit about. It's 100% a bragging platform and I cba with it. There are some accounts that I might Google for ideas on play for my 2 kids whilst at home but other than that🤷‍♀️

Facebook is just one big misery, my time line is full of news, groups and ads and rarely see stuff from anyone I'm actually friends with. Again - what's the point?

Snapchat was gone long ago 😂

Reactions: 3
I'm going through a break up so deactivated Facebook for a few weeks. Went back on at the weekend just for something to do, and don't feel like I'm missing it at all. I've not been on Instagram in weeks.
I’ve done the exact same thing for the exact same reason. I have deleted him but still found myself checking his profile which I could still see things on and it was not healthy. I would like to fully delete but only after getting some photos from there and maybe the email addresses of some loved but distant family members and such. So when I get around to it.

We have Insta purely to stalk the offspring on their travels as some of them live in far flung places and travel a lot, not that they are doing that right now so we have no ammunition to tell them off 😁. I have FB purely for a game I play and my husband has one, again for the sake of our offspring. He has a major flap if anyone sends a friend request as he's not SM savvy. I can live without it.

I’ve done the exact same thing for the exact same reason. I have deleted him but still found myself checking his profile which I could still see things on and it was not healthy. I would like to fully delete but only after getting some photos from there and maybe the email addresses of some loved but distant family members and such. So when I get around to it.
Yeah that's the only thing. I've not looked so far but I'm sure I'll cave at some point :LOL:

Hope you're doing okay!

• Heart
Hated Facebook it was a witch fest of older family moaning they don’t see my kids 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄 IT WORKS BOTH WAYS!!!!
and whose kids wore the best outfit / have the most fun.
Instagram I have to follow dogs 😂😂 even that’s getting old. My goal this year is to be social media free or an hour a week. Like I talk to nobody I hate people in general. I’ve decided to get my trusty canon out and play with that and I also want to do more walks out I’ve got myself a map and everything.
I got rid of youtube because my kids turned into brats that appreciated nothing 🤬 I tit you not they thought they could act like YouTube kids and that lasted a week.
Social media depressed me I refuse to let it happen any more.
It took me way too long to realise you meant canon camera I was picturing a water cannon 😂 😂 clearly still asleep

I deleted the Facebook app last year and don't miss it at all I got bored of it. I recently deactivated instagram as I don't think it's good for my mental health. I went through a phase of feeling left out and not good enough but it's so fake on there!

For example a group I used to be really close with (still friends just drifted a bit) are constantly posting from their social events and it looks so fun and makes me feel left out when I'm not there. I went to one recently and a few of them were really negative all evening and even stormed off to another bar at one point as they didn't like the choice everyone else had made! They finally came back a few hours later but one of them spent the rest of the night in a mood. Yet on Instagram the next morning you would think they had the time of their lives from the photos/captions they shared!

Last edited:
It took me way too long to realise you meant canon camera I was picturing a water cannon 😂 😂 clearly still asleep

I deleted the Facebook app last year and don't miss it at all I got bored of it. I recently deactivated instagram as I don't think it's good for my mental health. I went through a phase of feeling left out and not good enough but it's so fake on there!

For example a group I used to be really close with (still friends just drifted a bit) are constantly posting from their social events and it looks so fun and makes me feel left out when I'm not there. I went to one recently and a few of them were really negative all evening and even stormed off to another bar at one point as they didn't like the choice everyone else had made! They finally came back a few hours later but one of them spent the rest of the night in a mood. Yet on Instagram the next morning you would think they had the time of their lives from the photos/captions they shared!
That's a good example of how fake everything is. It's not always the fact that photos are filtered but sometimes people just giving out false illusions of how their life is and how much fun they are having.

I decatived FB about 7/8 months ago, just felt like I needed a break. Recently logged back on didn't refresh the screen, saw a couple of posts and thought feck this. 😂

Same with IG but that was due to alot of the following, my MH took a hit as I become so in grossed in other people's life's, I started to second guess my own.

Don't get me started on SC, it's fun to mess around with the filters and send stupid video's to friends and family but as for the rest of it, it's tit. Every man in the land wants your 'add' so they can send pictures of their junk.

• Heart
Battling between Instagram being my only connection to the outside world and the fact its getting me down watching people live their best lockdown lives/ breaking the rules. It's the only social media I have.

I was just coming to start a thread about this but thought I would jump on this one as it’s already going.
I have never felt so depressed as I have today reading various spiteful, bickering forums and their spin offs.
I have deleted FB and might do Instagram, not sure yet.

Ah I feel like social media definitely makes me feel worse but I find it hard to delete it. I do want to spend less time on it though, clear out the friends and remove myself from the groups that only leave me feeling worse. It's difficult though because I do volunteering with people for disabilities and the events are ran on Facebook although I could ask for them to contact me through text me it is just easier for them to invite us all at once. Since nothings on right now we have a group to post how everyone is doing and the young people have been sharing how they are clapping for NHS, the rainbows they are drawing and walks they have been on. So it is really lovely to see. I've been thinking about it though and I do think it can be good it just depends how you use it and if someone bothers you being able to delete them or hide there posts from your feed. Though when there's so much crap it takes a long time to hide it all. I have unfollowed most news pages that just make me feel sad with their updates of the virus. I think it's really difficult to just click off and stay away though so if you have managed to do that well done 🎉 I've definitely been on it less since I joined tattle and spend more of the time I'd scroll on Facebook on here 😂

As for instagram I have five accounts. 😂 I don't go on there often though even with all of them. It just felt easier to spilt them up.

My main one which I mostly only follow people I know in real life and the few accounts I actually find helpful or enjoy (like mental health accounts, music artists I love)

Then one is a weightloss/food account which I used to post everything I ate on 😂 and how much calories I eat and weight I'd lost in a week.

One for poetry as I enjoy writing but don't want to flood my page with it. Also one I follow fashion brands and clothes pages on -save everything I want to buy. I used to be so bad for spending so much money on clothes 😂.

And the last one is for the influencer's and youtubers basically just to see what they are posting so I can talk on here about it. 😂 but I never get to them quick enough I don't know how ya'll keep so up to date with people's insta stories. There's just always too much 😂

I think that sounds so bad but I really don't use them that often - I check my main one like once or twice a day and the others every few days xx

When I posted two weeks ago, I deactivated Facebook again that same day and haven’t been on since. Haven’t missed it at all! A couple of times I’ve thought, “Oh I’ll post that to FB” then remembered. It’s crazy how ingrained it is now to share your life with people.

Also as @Danielle1 said above, events are organised through FB and sometimes for me it’s the only way I hear about them. Even something as simple as the council changing the bin schedule a couple weeks ago, I only knew because they posted about it on their FB page. They sent an email almost a week later after the new schedule had already started. It feels like if you don’t have FB you’re out of the loop sometimes because companies or events assume everyone has social media now.

I deactivated Facebook about 8 years ago now. My family used to piss me off and I would get into scraps all the time. I do miss seeing updates on my friends and family but it’s worth it for my sanity.

I fully deleted Facebook 3 years ago I just find it a very negative place don't miss it at all. I have Instagram but I don't post anything anymore I just like to go on there for a nose and see what's going on. Funny as years ago I probably overshared on social media now I don't post anything and keep myself very private. My family and close friends know me and know what's going on in my life and that's all that matters. I don't feel the need to brag or validate myself to acquaintances or strangers over the internet like a lot do.

I came off Facebook when we started TTC (4 or so years ago) as couldn't bear the baby bombs! I have a separate one for work but don't add anyone to it. It's so liberating.