Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

bubbletea123

VIP Member
Has anyone else done it?

I do not have the Facebook or Twitter app on my phone. I deleted the apps years ago and it is so much better. I have the messenger app. If I didn't live overseas, I would delete it but I keep in touch with some family that way. I only use Facebook for our neighbourhood page. I basically unfollowed all friends on it so my timeline is empty.

I deactivated Instagram today. I unfollowed a lot of influencers a while back but in general I am just finding people's posts annoying. I spend too much time scrolling too. Not sure how long I will go without it. Hopefully I will read more books, haha.

Reactions: 25

Dannie

Chatty Member
I first joined Facebook back in 2007 when a new friend I made sent me the Facebook link. It was all newish and I loved keeping in contact with friends etc especially as I lived away from home for a few years. After a while it become all about passive aggressive statues, competitiveness, fake attention seeking rubbish. I stopped using it and went over to Instagram but then my mental health started to decline massively. Because of social media - I constantly felt I did not have enough and I weren’t good enough. I developed extreme anxiety after joining Instagram. To the point I started to distrust my friends and close family as I was paranoid constantly that I was being judged. I stopped inviting people to my home and become reclusive. I believed all the Bullshit on Instagram etc and throughout the years I just got worse and worse where I would eat my feelings and ended up with a 5 stone weight gain and antidepressants to go with it. My hair started to fall out and I constantly came out in hives through stress. My Instagram as now gone for good but I did try to get back onto Facebook and made a couple of accounts over year or so ago but they were deactivated Within days as I just can’t cope with it anymore. I have tried to get my bigger social friendship group back numerous of times but unfortunately I have just outgrown them and I ain’t that person I was anymore. Social media - (mainly Instagram) damaged me massively. I have been in therapy for the last 12 months and even though I am better with my expectations of myself and I learnt though therapy that I am enough - I’ve also hardened and Ive realised I don’t need anyone or anything to make me a better person - I only need me in order to be a better person. I have also learned opinions are like arseholes - we all have one. I don’t get upset anymore over other people’s thoughts and opinions.

However I am no longer that social butterfly who’s trusting of everyone. I was so helbent on getting her back but to be honest I’ve now accepted she’s gone and I’m now really happy with the person in her place. Introvert is so 2020 😂. I don’t have or want social media anymore and I love my own company. I have two good friends that I enjoy being around but only see once every few months and we are all happy with that and that’s enough for me. I don’t want to live my life on social media or through other people’s lives. I want to travel, read books, go on long walks, bake etc and do everything that I was missing out on because I was too busy on my phone. Which comes onto my next part.

Tattle has been also a massive help to me as it’s helped me to see all the bullshit that’s on social media and that’s been a good thing too. It’s really helped me heal. Ive realised I’m no different to anyone else. No one is perfect with perfect lives as much as the fakes on Instagram want us to believe. Tattle as showed me that so I thank you as I feel more confident now to go and live a life in front of my eyes and not within my phone. I’ve babbled here but hopefully I’ve answered the question.

Happy new year x

• Heart
Reactions: 15

Lola UK

VIP Member
I’ve just read this thread and deleted Facebook and Instagram apps from my phone 😀 I’m always comparing my life to others and it’s damaging I think. If I was born 50 years ago I wouldn’t have a clue what my classmates were up to and I wouldn’t care.

I’ve got people on there from school, who I didn’t even speak to and wouldn’t give me the time of day, and I’m updated with their life and children?! Why???!!! 🤯🤯🤯🤯

Reactions: 13

LaurieLaurie

VIP Member
Facebook went years ago and I have just unfollowed anyone who isn’t friends or family on Instagram. I’m not following anyone I don’t like in 2020.

Reactions: 12

bubbletea123

VIP Member
I deactivated facebook ages ago because it was really boring. Twitter is a tough one because I was heavily involved in a community for a couple of years, and still have loads of followers but it’s a very heated environment with lots of politics (which has spread to email and whatsapp groups) which was doing my head in, so I’m on an indefinite break, just drop in every couple of months to sat hi. I wish I could completely leave it behind but I feel like I’d be letting everyone down. I have insta but spend no more than 10-15 minutes on there a day, and I unfollow any account that makes me feel shit. The only thing I watch regularly these days is YT, but there I mostly follow useful accounts and have now unfollowed all but a couple of “influencers”.
This is going to sound bad but I feel like i like SM less since family have been on it?! It seems to make them seem more narcissistic. I find the older people worse than younger.

• Haha

Fenella

Chatty Member
I gave up Facebook a few years ago- I first deactivated and then earlier this year I fully deleted it.

this week I’ve deactivated Instagram. This is going to sound dramatic but I feel like I have no idea who I actually am any more, I’ve got so moulded and changed by following certain things that I can’t really remember what I genuinely like.

I have twitter but that’s mainly to see events locally and what the buses are doing!

SareBear

I fucking hate how i feel my shitty little life is so consumed by social media! My kids even ask me when I’m on my phone - are you on Facebook!! It’s ridiculous! I need to get a grip with it all!

Rainbow_rhythms

Reviving this thread if that's ok. I've recently deleted all social media apps off my phone. I felt like I was spending way too much time flicking between Facebook and Instagram and it was taking up hours a day when I could be doing something like reading or going on a walk. Not sure how long it will last but I do feel calmer. Obviously can't give up Tattle though 🤣 Has anyone else given up any social media accounts and did it have a positive impact on your life? Thanks

Reactions: 11
D

Deleted member

I used to read so many books and have Def found myself on SM more during the holidays. That's why today, I decided to get rid. Haha.
I used to read a book a week and now I probably read about 3 a year max. I cannot concentrate anymore to read unless I’m on holiday. I actually detest it and have seriously considered going back to a basic phone that I can only use to call or text from.

The mindless scrolling is frying my brain cells and makes me agitated yet I can’t seem to break the habit

Reactions: 10

Apple In My Pie

VIP Member
I am cheating a bit I suppose as I have most social media (Facebook, Twitter) - but Facebook is for family (stripped bare, anyone negative blocked) and twitter is for fandom related stuff. Instagram was really bringing my mental health down so I deactivated my main account and now only use a throwaway style one - don’t follow any influencers or family members, and only use it for a nose at Rebecca Lamb/Hinch/Louise Pentland Instagram stories - the rest is asmr. It helps because my feed isn’t filled with people and ‘things’ to miss out on. Ditto snapchat - I follow no one and only use it for filters. I find my Mental health has improved massively - I turned into some sort of jealous bitter bitch with rock bottom self esteem and without them I was much better. My friends find it weird because they all talk to boys through snapchat and ‘omg how do you cope’ - very well actually because I CBA 😆

• Heart
Reactions: 9

nurseren

VIP Member
I deleted all my social media back in 2017 when my son was born, and joined again in 2020. I felt as if I had to join again as his nursery would only communicate and show pictures of him via FB. Also other nursery mums making contact for play dates; they would know my name and that’s easier than finding my phone number.

We have just moved away (Nottingham to Birmingham) and I’m considering deleting it again to have a “fresh start”. I’ve had a really bad few traumatic months (losing my daughter, losing my grandpa, husband being made redundant) and I do feel as if everyone feels sorry for me and I want it to stop. However stupidly I’ve signed up for a charity gaming event for SANDS so I need to document that!

• Heart
Reactions: 8

ShadesMint

I deleted Facebook years ago, best thing I did. I felt like anyone could snoop on my private life and I felt pressured to share things about my life like photos of me, relationships, friends, nights out, workplace etc and its really just not necessary! I have whatsapp now and that's it. I'm alot happier, less self conscious, not comparing my lives to others as much. I just keep in contact with the people I want in my life now on whatsapp.

Reactions: 7

IMissDi

I got rid of my Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter and TikTok accounts last year. Was spending far too much time on them and it was interfering with my studies.

I still have Pinterest, WhatsApp and BeReal. I tried to join Digital Spy but am still waiting for approval. Joined Tattle today because it was recommended and not so horrible compared to some of the bigger sites

Reactions: 6

Ellsbells123

VIP Member
I deleted all of my SM a year ago, only have my insta to stalk my teenager and nip in on a few “influencers” best thing I ever did. I have never looked back/

House of Tea

VIP Member
I wonder if some of the posters on this site kept to their word?

I find Twitter useful to look things up like why is my banking app not working - you can see there is a general problem rather than specific to you. Other than that, I rarely go on Twitter. Also useful for complaining. Unfortunately some companies don’t respond to complaints or don’t handle properly, if you contact them over Twitter they are quick to react. But there is no nuanced debate on them - you are either for or against, no middle ground.

Instagram - never really a poster myself but occasional browser. I hate the rubbish ads, the false photos of people having great lives, the way it has made people into show offs. I rarely check on there.

Facebook - don’t think I have been on it, never felt the need. Tik Tok, not on there.

This site is a real time thief, the interface is so easy to use! And it is so fast moving. I am reducing my usage because I am neglecting stuff. Clean that bathroom, nah go on Tattle. Do life admin, let me just check TL. And I have neglected books, proper reading for pleasure. My attention span is shot. Even watching tv I keep an eye out on here, so rationing my time on here.

I do think social media has had a detrimental effect on society. Everyone wants to be seen, or want to document the fact they had beans on toast for dinner. We are being ruled by our machines!

bubbletea123

VIP Member
Yes I have done that and got drunk on Boxing Day and reinstalled Insta! Gonna delete it now!
I have set a timer to 1 hour per day but really struggling during the holidays and find myself on it constantly again!! 😫
I used to read so many books and have Def found myself on SM more during the holidays. That's why today, I decided to get rid. Haha.

Twinkle485

Hated Facebook it was a bitch fest of older family moaning they don’t see my kids 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄 IT WORKS BOTH WAYS!!!!
and whose kids wore the best outfit / have the most fun.
Instagram I have to follow dogs 😂😂 even that’s getting old. My goal this year is to be social media free or an hour a week. Like I talk to nobody I hate people in general. I’ve decided to get my trusty canon out and play with that and I also want to do more walks out I’ve got myself a map and everything.
I got rid of youtube because my kids turned into brats that appreciated nothing 🤬 I shit you not they thought they could act like YouTube kids and that lasted a week.
Social media depressed me I refuse to let it happen any more.

• Heart

House of Tea

VIP Member
The worse thing is I love reading, but my attention span is terrible now. Being online a lot just ruins your concentration. It’s all swipe here and click on this so when you read a book or a magazine it is hard to keep focus on one thing. I used to read lots of books but it has reduced so much. It was a resolution of mine to get back into it, it is relaxing and escapism. It is crazy how much focus has switched to sitting mindlessly online. Or you read about lazy husbands who spend their time in a chair on a games console not engaged with family life, only interested in gaming. Same thing I guess.

This relates to teenagers but I think it applies to a lot of adults too.

• Heart

MarthaFarkus

VIP Member
Weirdly enough I deactivated Twitter this morning because it’s just so negative with people moaning, being horrible to each other and constant talk of covid (even though I muted the word) and then I saw this thread. I also have Facebook (deactivated it for about 4 years and then had to reactivate it as my work has a group and I got fomo as things were being put in there and not in the WhatsApp group). I still hate it though and post absolutely nothing 😂 similarly with Instagram, my last post was in September and I’ve unfollowed a lot of people recently. Trying harder not to just scroll mindlessly now and it’s going well so far.

My brain doesn’t have the space for people’s drama's and having things flogged at me.

• Heart
  • Haha