Dahmer - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
When interviewed, Dahmer often makes it VERY clear he didn't experience childhood abuse or trauma. He said this many times. He didn't experience any significant trauma nor was he abused as a child.
Wow thank you for sharing - then it’s absolutely appalling that Netflix have shoehorned this into the show.

Don’t wanna do think pieces but actually find it upsetting that they’ve done this. It’s hard enough being a young adult coming out of that all and trying to recover and form your adult identity without incorrectly thinking ur peer group contains the likes of Dahmer. This is a huge series (they’ve shared it’s their 9th most streamed series ever) they need to be more responsible with its content.

Reactions: 1
When interviewed, Dahmer often makes it VERY clear he didn't experience childhood abuse or trauma. He said this many times. He didn't experience any significant trauma nor was he abused as a child.
So his mother having mental illness and abandoning him wasn't true?

Reactions: 3
So his mother having mental illness and abandoning him wasn't true?
I read it was true and she took the youngest boy with her.
Aldo that she took 17 prescription drugs when pregnant with Dahmer.
Its in the Vanity Fair piece.

Reactions: 6
I read it was true and she took the youngest boy with her.
Aldo that she took 17 prescription drugs when pregnant with Dahmer.
Its in the Vanity Fair piece.
She took prescription drugs during pregnancy. The amount has never been confirmed. Millions of women do and don't have children who become serial killers. She did leave him, indeed, probably adding to his fear of abandonment. The parents did argue a LOT which Dahmer said he didnt like but he also said he didn't experience any trauma or abuse. He may well have been in denial. Unwilling to speak poorly of his parents. He may just never have realised what it really was but he's dead and we can only go off what he said. If he didn't want to label it as 'abuse' or 'trauma' then that's his choice. The experience of trauma is so individual, what may traumatise one person may not traumatise another. So who knows.

What we've also got to remember is Dahmer will have been comparing the abuse and trauma he inflicted onto his victims against his own childhood. In comparison, your mum taking pills in pregnancy, your parents arguing or leaving you may not seem as abusive as killing and eating folk.

I honestly believe he loved his dad right until the end and didn't wanna say anything bad about him.

Also, just because a parent has a 'mental illness' this doesn't mean a child will be abused. This is such a problematic belief and stigmatising.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
She took prescription drugs during pregnancy. The amount has never been confirmed. Millions of women do and don't have children who become serial killers. She did leave him, indeed, probably adding to his fear of abandonment. The parents did argue a LOT which Dahmer said he didnt like but he also said he didn't experience any trauma or abuse. He may well have been in denial. Unwilling to speak poorly of his parents. He may just never have realised what it really was but he's dead and we can only go off what he said. If he didn't want to label it as 'abuse' or 'trauma' then that's his choice. The experience of trauma is so individual, what may traumatise one person may not traumatise another. So who knows.

What we've also got to remember is Dahmer will have been comparing the abuse and trauma he inflicted onto his victims against his own childhood. In comparison, your mum taking pills in pregnancy, your parents arguing or leaving you may not seem as abusive as killing and eating folk.

I honestly believe he loved his dad right until the end and didn't wanna say anything bad about him.

Also, just because a parent has a 'mental illness' this doesn't mean a child will be abused. This is such a problematic belief and stigmatising.
The program showed him phoning an ambulance as she had overdosed. The program implied he suffered some sort of trauma from it . Not me

The program showed him phoning an ambulance as she had overdosed. The program implied he suffered some sort of trauma from it . Not me
Are you referring to the Netflix show? If so, there are numerous inaccuracies in it (sadly). It's embellished and there's lot of stuff in it that never happened. Some of the storylines are completely made up or altered. There's loads of articles online about it. I think this is why it hasn't been well received by some.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Started this last night. Think im 3 in but it was late so not sure 😅 great so far!

Just finished it! Thought it was good, found a couple of episodes a bit slow but overall the pace was enough to keep us engaged. Like some of the other posters have said, a back story of more of the victims would have made it a bit more dimensional. And it wasn’t as gruesome as I expected it to be.

I made it through one episode and I’m not sure I can carry on…. However I have watched the doc that Netflix has just released and I found that good. One thing that’ strikes me is how he never really attempted a normal life with a long term partner or public life/career - whereas you compare him to some like John Wayne Gacy and Ted Bundy who had relationships and in the case of JWG was known in his community. He just seemed totally devoid of any feelings or warmth IMO. (Not that John Wayne gacy or ted Bundy did - maybe they could fake it better?)

On another note, listened to Dark Horse by Katy Perry today for the first time in ages and dahmer is name checked in the rap!!!! Never got it before cause didn’t know who he was. Wonder what the victims families felt about that.

Reactions: 6
Am still making my way through the thread so its probably been mentioned but I can't get over the actress playing his grandmother is Olivia Walton.
Finding it a difficult watch must say.

I made it through one episode and I’m not sure I can carry on…. However I have watched the doc that Netflix has just released and I found that good. One thing that’ strikes me is how he never really attempted a normal life with a long term partner or public life/career - whereas you compare him to some like John Wayne Gacy and Ted Bundy who had relationships and in the case of JWG was known in his community. He just seemed totally devoid of any feelings or warmth IMO. (Not that John Wayne gacy or ted Bundy did - maybe they could fake it better?)

On another note, listened to Dark Horse by Katy Perry today for the first time in ages and dahmer is name checked in the rap!!!! Never got it before cause didn’t know who he was. Wonder what the victims families felt about that.
I seen a tiktok where quite a few singers have used his name in songs including Eminem who mentions his name in several of his and Nicki Minaj

• Wow
I've watched two episodes so far not sure I want to watch a further eight! You know when his gran lifted the bedcovers back what was in the bed the shop mannequin or a body?

Reactions: 4
I've watched two episodes so far not sure I want to watch a further eight! You know when his gran lifted the bedcovers back what was in the bed the shop mannequin or a body?
It was the shop mannequin which also happened in real life (stealing one)

Reactions: 5
Did his grandmother know? It sounded like she did especially when she stayed with the guy he'd drugged.

Reactions: 1