Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Fanny Muchmore

VIP Member
I'm 8 episodes in. It has been very good for not romanticising or glamourising Dahmer or his crimes, and for showing the systemic racism and homophobia within the police, not to mention their complete incompetence.

There were so many chances to catch him.amd stop him, but his privilege let him slip through the net time after time. It was disgraceful.

Evan Peters has done an outstanding job embodying this absolute psychopath. The supporting cast has also been excellent.

Reactions: 29

stardust1

VIP Member
Curious to know everyones views on this. Lots of comments stating it is ‘adult humour’. Comments saying ‘love this’ ‘need this. I personally think it is awful to want to glorify some of the worst men to exist. Do people not have any empathy towards the victims or their families?

Attachments

• Sick
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 27

cocochino

Chatty Member
Edited to add- just watched it and wow he’s so calm and matter of fact about it. Somehow he manages to sound soft and almost vulnerable.

I think Richard Ramirez (the night stalker) is still the most terrifying serial killer for me. I think it’s his fascination with Satan and the fact that he didn’t have a “type”, some of his victims were children, others elderly men and women, and the fact that he killed people in their own homes and in their own beds were they should’ve been safe.
Not a serial killer, (well technically I guess he is because he killed 3 people and an unborn child)... Chris Watts is the one who scares me the most. Imagine being married to a man and he kills you and your babies, and you never had any idea who you were married to. That scares the shit out of me.

• Sad
Reactions: 24

BorisBear

VIP Member
I’m on episode 8, the one with the deaf victim made me so sad & his poor neighbour 😪 similar to Dennis Neilson crimes. Hard watch

Reactions: 23

hmmm_no

VIP Member
Only made it through episode 2 but this happened in my home town, literally four miles from where I'm sat right now and I'm not sure if I can finish it. It's so gruesome and just hard to imagine and even harder to watch. This isn't the safest city by any measure (fair bit of gun violence, a troubling amount of domestic violence) but in general it has a very "small town" vibe and it's quite disconcerting to see it in this light, and to imagine people the world over seeing Milwaukee this way. Though I'm not disappointed in how poorly the Milwaukee Police Department is apparently depicted because frankly, that hasn't changed.

I'm the only one in my family that's been able to watch it at all as I was too young to know what was going on at the time and have no memories. My parents had to wrangle my brother away from every TV he came across because everyone was airing the live trial and he was transfixed by it (and only seven, frankly I don't feel mature enough to hear about it at nearly 34), and my grandparents worked at the courthouse where the trial was held and near where many of the vigils and protests were held. My uncle was a gay man in the same "scene" at the time and met him once or twice. Luckily for him, too much of a family connection and not vulnerable or a person of color so he escaped the violence but it's still scary.

One of the journalists that broke the story when police first started combing his apartment for evidence did a talk at a library today and my friend was going to see, I wonder if she'll have anything new to add. I know that there was a lot of complaint about it not being very factual, but there's a documentary coming out this week as well so. Time will tell.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 23

Warpaint

VIP Member
Some great performances overall. I was lagging a bit with episode 7-8 but then it picked back up in 9 & 10. Netflix do pad things out though, I guess it's kind of their trademark now.

IMHO Dahmer was born that way and if he had a good upbringing would have gone on to be a high functioning Psychopath. Lawyer, stockbroker, businessman etc.

Reactions: 21

Wee Nora

VIP Member
Edited to add- just watched it and wow he’s so calm and matter of fact about it. Somehow he manages to sound soft and almost vulnerable.

I think Richard Ramirez (the night stalker) is still the most terrifying serial killer for me. I think it’s his fascination with Satan and the fact that he didn’t have a “type”, some of his victims were children, others elderly men and women, and the fact that he killed people in their own homes and in their own beds were they should’ve been safe.

Reactions: 18

Gossgirl12

Chatty Member
I'm on the last episode now and as sad as it is, it's probably one of the best series I've ever seen. The fact the police were also responsible for tormenting that young boys family on the phone is also disgusting. Just goes to show how racist they are. Glenda was an amazing woman.

• Heart
Reactions: 18

Lotso2018

Curious to know everyones views on this. Lots of comments stating it is ‘adult humour’. Comments saying ‘love this’ ‘need this. I personally think it is awful to want to glorify some of the worst men to exist. Do people not have any empathy towards the victims or their families?
That’s disgusting really offensive inagree with you.

Reactions: 17

welshfitnessgirl

VIP Member
I’m about to start the last episode. Evan Peters is amazing in the role I have to say! Didn’t even recognise Molly Ringwald until later on. It’s an amazing show. Probably not the one to watch before bed. However, this is the case that really got me interested in true crime even though it’s really macabre.

me and my boyfriend had quite a in-depth discussion when we were watching it last night, whether or not he was insane. Personally, I think he was sane he knew exactly what he was doing. He went out looking for victims, so the intent for murder was there I think after the murder is where the question lies whether or not, he was insane.

Reactions: 16

Very traditional

VIP Member
The clown scene shit me up! I wasnt expecting that but why was the part about John Wayne Gacy in there? Is it just because it was happening around the same time? It confused me
I think because the execution and baptism were the same day they sort of gelled together well but I also assume it’s a kind of advert for a Gacy drama Netflix will make.

Reactions: 15

Mark81

VIP Member
It's worth mentioning that Glenda wasn't actually his neighbour, she didn't even live in the building. She lived in building next to his. The scene with her daughter and the cops and the young boy is based on truth, but the smells, meat sandwiches etc is creative licenced based off of other people's witness statements. Also some of the racism events has been exaggerated to show that racism existed, as if the audience is stupid and can't tell that for themselves with the subtle real forms experienced without being knocked over head with it.

• Wow

blueberriesarenice

Oh god I’m the opposite, I always fancied Evan a bit but in this role I find him quite repulsive! So he’s doing a good job as Dahmer in my book lol. That episode Silenced was incredible, so well put together. I wish more of the series had that format with victims back stories. Maybe it would have been better received that way.

• Heart

Skellig

Nothing new and nowhere near as scary as the recorded interview with Jeffrey. Now that was haunting. How he speaks about bones etc is chilling.

Tony Hughes episode was brilliant. Devasting. Great to see how racism really played a huge part in how Jeffrey got away with it for so long.

My uncle is a psychiatrist and I did a few weeks training in his hospital. One patient of his I got to sit in on. It was my uncle, me a student, 2 reg's, 2 nurses, social worker. This woman was the most charming person I've ever met. So lovely!

Then my uncle told her to drop the act and her eyes changed. It was scary. She had slagged off an eating disorder patient the day before. Well. She laughed about it, felt 0 remorse. Spoke about it like she was proud of it. There was no history of abuse at all. She was born like this.

I always wonder about Jeffrey and other murderers. How bad would he have been if he had a nurturing home ? Would his fascination with bones and flesh have occurred later on in life if his dad didn't introduce him to all that at such a young age ? We'll never know but psychopath + neglect = this. I actually know someone who is a diagnosed psychopath and is as nice as he can be. Highly intelligent individual. My dad always told me there's loads in our field 👀

• Heart
Reactions: 14

LittleMy

VIP Member
Anyone else feel their heart racing watching this? Not sure I can keep watching, I’m only on episode 2 😬
Yep, I finished it last night. Stick with it, there are some really compelling episodes especially towards the end. It’s unbelievable how many times the system failed to stop him because of homophobia and racism.

Reactions: 14

amyy

VIP Member
Evan Peters has nailed it!! He plays dark characters so well. He's nailed the mouth movements, Dahmer doesn't move his mouth much when he talks.

Reactions: 13

blueberriesarenice

Obviously I know the Netflix series is a blend of fact and fiction, but does anyone else wonder if the dad knew what JD was doing …

There’s so many parts I find so hard to believe that it could be going on and you wouldn’t be suspicious
I think that they ignored the obvious signs something was very wrong- dad and grandma- because it was just easier. Lionel the dad was a fascinating character, I found it interesting his reaction to hearing about his ex wife’s suicide attempt, totally unaffected. Like he might’ve had those psycho tendencies too (along with his weird thoughts he alluded to) he’s just an example of someone who never acted on them, unlike Jeff, for whom each victim opened the floodgates a little more.

Reactions: 12