Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

SpiceWeasel

VIP Member
This is my kinda thread 🤣 I’m addicted to sewing. I love dressmaking and patchwork/quilting as well as bag making. I’m just learning to crochet too. Oh and I’ve cross stitched since I was really little! Got a couple of big ones on the go. I like Caterpillar Cross Stitch patterns 😄 really fun and modern.

Been sewing about 3 years now but the dressmaking really took off last year when I got an overlocker for my birthday.

I love Tilly and the Buttons patterns and her books! Got the Billie dress pattern and some nice knit fabric arriving this week so that should keep me occupied!

I also love Friday Pattern Company patterns and I want to try out some Merchant and Mills ones and Closet Core. I must also add I am absolutely addicted to buying fabric 🙈😂

Reactions: 10

TheStrawberryThief

I was prompted to make this cover for my wicker basket after losing items from it on windy days 😕 also to put off any potential thieves grabbing my purse.
I found this pretty cotton offcut in a charity shop and I've got enough left to make something else 😊
How to make:
Take measurements from top of basket
cut a square
round of the corners
pin the hem
sew the hem
thread through elastic

View attachment 2753022

That is really good idea. I have not seen one of those before. It is really cute 😍
I had some left over wall paper so I covered this shoe box using some spray glue to match the walls. Easy to do and costs nothing in these economic times, win! 😊
View attachment 2761809
This looks gorgeous. It looks like something you would pay for.

-----

The Aldi Yarn Wars are back. It was the craft event and I don't like what it brings out in people. Saw one person in my group posting a haul picture that took up their entire bed, and then saying that they had 13 storage boxes of yarn already so it would just be put away until they need it.

Lots of people bragging about how much they have bought, but then also asking for help as they don't know what to do with it.

This morning I saw someone asking about how often the events happen and mentioning that they were not ' allowed ' to go again, the comments were all really nasty and saying things like 'are you a child?' And ' please sir, can I go to Aldi', as if some people are not on a budget.

I really dislike how craft communities encourage over consumption and hoarding of supplies, and people try and one up each other.

I have to much, mostly because when I started crochet I didn't understand how much yarn I needed for things, so I have to much or to little of some things. I am making an effort to get through it all this year. I know it is a very easy hobby to over buy for, and sometimes you do buy something because price is good and you put it away for later. But I have seen people hoarding entire rooms full of yarn they will never use in a million years.

I think I get so annoyed about this as I know I struggle from impulse control with buying, and I really have to fight the urge to binge shop when I am stressed or down, so it really gets to me seeing people encouraging each other to do it.

• Heart

Dxmon

My goal for the start of the year was to pick up crocheting, day 3 and I can currently do a ’line’ (if that’s what you’d call it!) but I can’t seem to master doing a line above that one to make a square. Currently going off YouTube tutorials and I’m very close to loosing my temper with it 😂 but I’ll keep trying.

knivesnflowers

VIP Member
have some yarn and no knitting skill so made these today while putting off uni work - really easy to do. honestly not 100% sure on them but they’re only to go w some chocs as an xmas gift, think i’ll monogram with a letter bead too!

IMG_2205.jpeg

• Heart

colouredlines

VIP Member
I've done very little craft-wise this past year, despite all good intentions. I had to give up knitting and crochet because I'm an awkward knitter and ende up with RSI.
I've done a bit of pyrography though, to personalise an Xmas gift for someone.

Josie George on twitter has finished the 2020 weather scarf. It's a thing of beauty!
That's awesome!! I have a 2020 temperature blanket that I need to finish, but local restrictions mean I haven't been able to get the yarn I need (want to go in person to the shop rather than ordering online).

This year my goal is to get as much done as I can from stash (sewing/knitting/beading). I have a lot of UFOs floating around the place too, I'm terrible for starting things and then abandoning them...

• Heart

colouredlines

VIP Member
My first attempt at knitting… safe to say I won’t be knitting any jumpers any time soon 😂
I really struggle with tension, no idea what the hell else made it go tits up

View attachment 1562659
Everyone's first knitting looks like that. Stick with it, it can be insanely frustrating at first, then you'll find that it just clicks all of a sudden.

The nice thing about knitting is that you can rip out the needles, unravel it and start over as many times as you need.

• Heart

Heybooboo

VIP Member
I learnt to knit when I was pregnant and made a blanket, about to make another for my second baby but need to re learn again as I haven’t made anything since my one and only knitted project🙈 would love to make a cardigan too for baby but need to research best wool etc

orangelolly

Chatty Member
I cross stitch and have designed some of my own kits. I've been trying to sell them on etsy but I'm just not getting many views which is frustrating because I'd love to do this full time. I'd also like to be able to knit, but I can never get the tension right! Aaand I'd like to be able to crochet but find it so difficult.

Moongirl69

VIP Member
I've been thinking of doing a similar blanket using my scrap yarn. I had a bereavement recently and my concentration isn't great atm. Something like the above would be ideal to pick up in the evenings 🧶

• Heart

colouredlines

VIP Member
I finished two knitting projects recently! My sewing machine has had to go to the repair shop, which is very frustrating as I was just getting into sewing again.

The jumper is a DROPS pattern in DROPS yarn (their sport weight merino). I use their yarn a lot, because it's cheap and reliable. Their patterns are solid but VERY sparsely written - a bit of a shock to the system when you first try them, and not something I'd recommend for beginners!

The shawl (which will only ever be worn as a scarf) is Zoolandia by Stephen West, in a merino/silk blend from a small business called Feliz y Punto which is fairly local to me. I love the colours here, and I think this stitch pattern works really well with variegated yarns. Finishing that long edge with a picot bind-off was NOT fun, though. 😖

What have the rest of you been up to?

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 9

Fancyfeathers

Chatty Member
I really want to get into like marble art painting but scared its going to look like something that a 3 year old did in nursery 😂😂 I've seen some kits might take the plunge and try it.
I love crochet but either do it too tight or too loose and i give up

• Heart

HoGi

VIP Member
I'm in the middle of 4 different Cross stitch projects at the moment. Including an advent calendar that wasn't ready for 1st December 🤦🏼‍♀️

I wish I could crochet but can't seem to follow YouTube how to's 😔 My wedding dress had buttons down the back and the bridal shop gave me a crochet hook to do it up. It has been a dream of mine to use the hook to make something for our first baby. Thankfully I'm not pregnant or TTC yet so have time to learn

• Heart

hannahsaurusrex

So glad there’s a crafting thread- I’m a bit of a craft slut, but my favourites are crochet and punch needle embroidery. My little people generally get to be the not so lucky recipients! I’m learning to knit at the moment, my gran taught me when I was small but a rectangle is about all I can manage 😂

Attachments

• Heart
Someone has mentioned to me before the M&M sizes are huge!

Ah thanks, that one looks lovely! What kind of fabric did you make it in if you don’t mind me asking? Xx
Photos attached, one is a close up. It’s a thick cotton. I’ve also made 2 Camber set dresses in Linen. The dress I had to alter was the shirt dress (linen as well).

Attachments

• Heart

emmer_moans

VIP Member
I’ve been obsessed with dressmaking this year, to the point I’ve had to stop buying summer fabric because it’s getting colder :LOL: This week I am going to make a slouchy cardigan out of French Terry for the first time.

Also on the go I am making a crochet scarf with a wavy stitch - I kind of forgot about crochet this summer whilst sewing, but now it’s getting colder I find myself craving time sat on the sofa with blankets, yarn, a cup of tea :giggle::coffee:

• Heart

Piff paff puff

VIP Member
Changed this plain swimsuit from halterneck to shoulder straps. Used the extra fabric to make a front belt. Low cost trims added to neckline and waist. I love a bit of gold on black ☺
IMG_20221118_132834.png
IMG_20221118_132323.jpg

• Heart

TheStrawberryThief

I have made soap, but only from those kits when you melt the soap onto a mold and add scents and colours before setting. It is only for my personal use to don't have any useful advice sorry.

I have been in a bit of a craft slump recently. I was working away for a week and then I ended up making a scarf that I didn't enjoy working on and I just kept putting off finishing it. I have spent the first 3 months of year focusing on using scraps, and I am getting bored so I think time to inspire myself with something new.

I am considering giving this a go

I have a lot of balls of DK yarn , and it will force me to try new stitches .

I am going to push through the last bit of scarf later ( should be less than an hour to finish) and then I will take a close look at this.

• Heart

TheStrawberryThief

Bringing back the thread as didn't want to start anything new.

I took up crochet for something to do when I was off work after surgery for a few weeks last year, and I have stuck at it.

I find it incredibly relaxing doing the repetitive stitches, and try and do some a few days a week. I have tried other crafts, but was never able to enjoy them as I felt under pressure to get things right first time otherwise it would stick/dry wrong etc. I love that I can just unravel something if I don't like it and start again. No pressure.

I have made a lot of scarfs and blankets as, for some reason, I can never get the hang of anything that doesn't require straight regular lines. My friend who also does crochet can old do circles.

My goal for next year is try and make a pair of gloves. My attempts so far have either been to big or to small

• Heart