Crafting

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Someone has mentioned to me before the M&M sizes are huge!

Ah thanks, that one looks lovely! What kind of fabric did you make it in if you don’t mind me asking? Xx
Photos attached, one is a close up. It’s a thick cotton. I’ve also made 2 Camber set dresses in Linen. The dress I had to alter was the shirt dress (linen as well).

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Love this thread and everyone's pics! I do a bit of everything...typical crafter really! I'm a very basic crocheter but have coveted a lady on Insta called debrosse_nyc, her book Modern Crochet is beautiful and I got it for Christmas. I'm self taught needle felting, its so therapeutic. Has anyone seen the ads on SM for Domestika courses? They have loads, just signed up and they've sent me a discount, 3 courses for €25. They have no expiration date and you can watch over and over. I'm thinking of doing Painting with Thread. Crafting keeps me sane......I can really relax, listen to a podcast and escape for hours! I want to learn to knit, I can do basic garter stitch but that's it!
Also has anyone ever checked out NanaIro patterns? They're beautiful. And there is an Australian publication called Peppermint, on they're website they have a ton of print your own sewing patterns on A4 paper at home for free, they give instructions on how to put them together. They just ask for a PayPal donation which I have as I downloaded a few! Sorry I'm rambling now!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Where did you learn? I’ve tried YouTube but couldn’t get my head around it 🙈🙈
I got this book, the step by step photos made it so much easier and I found it better to have it in front of me rather than watch something on YouTube so I could keep referring back. It shows you how to start, change rows, stop etc all step by step 🥰 also how to make simple things too.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 7
My goal for the start of the year was to pick up crocheting, day 3 and I can currently do a ’line’ (if that’s what you’d call it!) but I can’t seem to master doing a line above that one to make a square. Currently going off YouTube tutorials and I’m very close to loosing my temper with it 😂 but I’ll keep trying.

Reactions: 10
I've found crochet so much harder to get to grips with than knitting. I'm slowly getting there with it but it definitely doesn't come as naturally to me. I get confused about which hole is which. Which hole is the right one to put the hook in for the next stitch or whatever. I can't read the patterns as easily. I also think it really helps to be shown in person. Which obviously, at the moment is a bit tricky.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
If it helps I tried and failed so many times with crochet, I bought a kids kit with instructions and wool to make a granny square bag. This was the only thing that helped me. Also good was an old ladybird book they do crochet and knitting.

Reactions: 5
I'll be honest, I don't get on with many indie sewing pattern companies at all. I know a lot of other people do, though, so that's cool! I'm loving the photos here, especially @SoulRebel's mosaics - wow!!!

(Also, most online sewing spaces are a bit tit, aren't they? There often seems to be nothing in between American women making modest dresses to wear to church and people organising pile-ons because someone didn't declare their pronouns. Oh, and 5000 variants of "I hope hubby doesn't mind that I just bought another 50m of fabric" and people taking photos of bobbins that almost ran out but didn't...can you tell I'm bitter?)

Anyway, I need to dig out some photos. Here's a blanket I knitted a couple of years ago, the pattern is 10-Stitch Blanket by Frankie Brown and the yarn was DROPS but I can't remember beyond that. It was sock weight yarn and took me forever, but I was so happy when I finally finished!

View attachment 368222
A million this. Have you seen craftsnark on Reddit? It’s a much more realistic look at it.

Reactions: 6
Photos attached, one is a close up. It’s a thick cotton. I’ve also made 2 Camber set dresses in Linen. The dress I had to alter was the shirt dress (linen as well).
Omg that’s gorgeous 😍 thanks for sharing!

*Gets laptop out to order pattern and some fabric* 🤣

I’m doing dry January so figured my savings from that can justify fabric purchases 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I'm thinking of subscribing to Craftsy to sharpen some skills and learn new ones. I love the look of needle felting and don't know how to knit but am interested in that too.

Thank you Eurgh for the reddit sub recommendation. Love it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
These are all amazing but the bobble cardigan is 😍😍😍 I've been lusting after one pretty much the same on chicwish for at least a year which I've attached. Where was that pattern from please? I can do basic knitting (like straight lines haha, I make a great scarf of blanket) but my Nan is a pro so I'll maybe ask her for "help"
Haha I saw it on there too! I just happened upon the pattern whilst looking for inspo. About to start my 5th one 🤣
Here’s the pattern, it costs £7.90 at the moment. I’m wondering how I could give you it as I have it downloaded already. It’s basic stocking stitch and the bobbles are dead easy to make so it looks more complicated than it is.
Edited to add: I didn’t use the recommended wool I used hayfield chunky with wool. I have however ordered the recommended wool for the next one, as the person I’m knitting it for was happy to pay more for it, so it will be interesting to see how it comes out in the 100% Wool!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
I’m addicted to sewing and knitting. I’ve been knitting for a year now but I’m very new to sewing. Below are a few of my knitting projects. I’ve just finished sewing a gorgeous top over the weekend using Merchant and Mills gingham. (Will post a picture when I have one, I’m so proud of it! 😂) The gingham trousers in the photo below are also Merchant and Mills.
DB8468B1-9322-45EC-AAC5-FB6D850AEA96.jpeg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
Very impressed at all the pictures of work. I can just about manage to sew a button back on something 😬

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
I really want to get into like marble art painting but scared its going to look like something that a 3 year old did in nursery 😂😂 I've seen some kits might take the plunge and try it.
I love crochet but either do it too tight or too loose and i give up

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I love felting and making little angels I should probably do more tbh. I’ve also got a circuit and a heat press so I should also pull it all out the cupboard 🙃

Reactions: 5
I’m addicted to sewing and knitting. I’ve been knitting for a year now but I’m very new to sewing. Below are a few of my knitting projects. I’ve just finished sewing a gorgeous top over the weekend using Merchant and Mills gingham. (Will post a picture when I have one, I’m so proud of it! 😂) The gingham trousers in the photo below are also Merchant and Mills.
View attachment 370876
I love that cardigan, what’s the pattern?

Reactions: 1
IMG_20200702_001500_medium2.jpg

This is the last thing I made (aside from horrible crochet attempts!) - a commission for my flatmate's boyfriend, whose baby niece is being indoctrinated into West Ham supporting already.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I've always been good at crochet and avoided knitting but finally taught myself last year. Right now I am working on learning socks. I found this tutorial helpful from Winwick mum

Reactions: 7
View attachment 385857

This is January Hat by Courtney Kelley in DROPS Nepal (I love DROPS yarn so much!). I hadn't made a pompom since I was a kid, so that was fun. Bobbles got a bit tedious, but still, a quick little project!

• Heart
Reactions: 10