Crafting

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just overcome a mental block and re-threaded the needles on my overlocker.
Now starting to make a Billie sweatshirt (Tilly and the buttons pattern). First ever sweatshirt.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Ooooh what fabric are you using? I’ve barely used my sewing machine throughout lockdown. Two small kids and half the house is an office!

Reactions: 2
You've jogged my memory, I vowed that I'd learn to use my sewing machine during lockdown! I haven't used a machine since school and it's such a great skill to have.

• Heart
Ooooh what fabric are you using? I’ve barely used my sewing machine throughout lockdown. Two small kids and half the house is an office!
It has a teal background with pink and red flamingos, toucans and cacti! I bought it from my local shop. Sent an email and they replied with photos of their sweatshirt fabric, then delivered it to my house 💕.
It’s the second time they have had to close, so I buy as much as I can from them.

You've jogged my memory, I vowed that I'd learn to use my sewing machine during lockdown! I haven't used a machine since school and it's such a great skill to have.
Tilly and the buttons have an online workshop to teach how to use a sewing machine.

Reactions: 4
It has a teal background with pink and red flamingos, toucans and cacti! I bought it from my local shop. Sent an email and they replied with photos of their sweatshirt fabric, then delivered it to my house 💕.
It’s the second time they have had to close, so I buy as much as I can from them.

Tilly and the buttons have an online workshop to teach how to use a sewing machine.
That fabric sounds sublime. Are you in the UK? Don’t want to 🔺you or anything but I would love some sweatshirting like that.

Good luck @Readingismyhobby! That fabric sounds gorgeous.

I finally dusted off my sewing machine for the first time in months. I've been knitting a bit lately but no inclination to sew...anyway, I forced myself to get started (I don't like having a big stash and I am determined to work through a sizeable chunk of it this year).

This is Butterick 6154 (now OOP I think), which I've made a couple of times before, but not recently. The fabric is a lightweight jersey - this pattern really needs a lightweight fabric, I made it once in a heavier knit and it was a disaster, got distorted so tits everywhere, plus a nightmare to wrangle through the machine as there are pleats on top of pleats on top of pleats at one point.

Anyway, I'm happy with this version although what with covid, I took a couple of photos and then changed back into a hoodie and sweatpants. I'll have to get better photos outdoors once I have somewhere to wear a dress to again. Feels good to be sewing again though!

20210208_195346.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 13
That fabric sounds sublime. Are you in the UK? Don’t want to 🔺you or anything but I would love some sweatshirting like that.
I’ve attached a photo. It says designed by Poppy. I am in the UK (S Wales)

Good luck @Readingismyhobby! That fabric sounds gorgeous.

I finally dusted off my sewing machine for the first time in months. I've been knitting a bit lately but no inclination to sew...anyway, I forced myself to get started (I don't like having a big stash and I am determined to work through a sizeable chunk of it this year).

This is Butterick 6154 (now OOP I think), which I've made a couple of times before, but not recently. The fabric is a lightweight jersey - this pattern really needs a lightweight fabric, I made it once in a heavier knit and it was a disaster, got distorted so tits everywhere, plus a nightmare to wrangle through the machine as there are pleats on top of pleats on top of pleats at one point.

Anyway, I'm happy with this version although what with covid, I took a couple of photos and then changed back into a hoodie and sweatpants. I'll have to get better photos outdoors once I have somewhere to wear a dress to again. Feels good to be sewing again though!
View attachment 425886
Great fabric &dress. Sewing has kept me sane the last year.

Attachments

• Heart
I’ve attached a photo. It says designed by Poppy. I am in the UK (S Wales)

Great fabric &dress. Sewing has kept me sane the last year.
I had kind of forgotten how nice it is to sit down at the machine and concentrate on sewing for a while. It really is good for your mental health, isn't it? I've been struggling a bit lately, so it feels great to be getting back into it.

• Heart

Thanks so much for the info, I'll definitely check them out! 😊

Reactions: 1
I meant to post some of my cross stitches here to show you all ages ago! I do have a story about one of the chart suppliers I used to use but I don't want to take over the thread with multiple posts, so I'll hang fire til I've reminded myself of all the twists and turns!
View attachment 400096
This is my current work in progress - 3 years into it, just over halfway done. The original art is Farewell to Anger by Leonid Afremov.
View attachment 400099
One I did for a friend retiring from work, massive GoT fan!
View attachment 400100
Above my stairs on the landing.

I have more but I feel like I've taken enough space already! 😂 😂 Love seeing all your work and sharing with fellow enthusiasts!
I love the juxtaposition of your terrible slop inspired username and your beautiful creations, we love a multi faceted frau ❤

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Hello crafty people. My first love was sewing but I find it quite hard work plus it takes up a lot space and needs a lot of equipment. These days I'm a avid crocheter (learnt 5 years ago) but I've always wanted to learn knitting. It looks so complicated to me, worried it will challenge my brain too much so I'm yet to try it.
Here are some of my lockdown accomplishments 😬 hope you like....

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Hello crafty people. My first love was sewing but I find it quite hard work plus it takes up a lot space and needs a lot of equipment. These days I'm a avid crocheter (learnt 5 years ago) but I've always wanted to learn knitting. It looks so complicated to me, worried it will challenge my brain too much so I'm yet to try it.
Those are gorgeous! You've got a great eye for colour.

Knitting is easy to learn - I found it puzzling at first, but then something just clicks and you're off. I don't crochet, but I know people who do both say that knitting takes twice as much time, but uses half the yarn.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Your pieces are lovely, especially the cherries 😍

I am a knitter and I’ve learnt crochet over lockdown. I wish it was the other way around as I can’t hold the yarn properly to crochet thanks to knitting techniques but hey!

I personally prefer the look of crochet, it’s easier to undo mistakes and to keep an eye where you are. Knitting is easy to drop a stitch and trying to fix it is a pain! I guess it depends what you want to make, personally knitting is simpler but that may because I learnt it first.

• Heart
Thank you 💕 Yes crochet does create quite a heavy fabric. I've been mostly making blankets with crochet. But I think knitting is better for wearable garments. My kids are fast growing up. So I've missed the boat for knitting tiny bonnets and cardigans.
I'd love to see what others are crocheting, knitting and sewing. 😊

Reactions: 3
I finished two knitting projects recently! My sewing machine has had to go to the repair shop, which is very frustrating as I was just getting into sewing again.

The jumper is a DROPS pattern in DROPS yarn (their sport weight merino). I use their yarn a lot, because it's cheap and reliable. Their patterns are solid but VERY sparsely written - a bit of a shock to the system when you first try them, and not something I'd recommend for beginners!

The shawl (which will only ever be worn as a scarf) is Zoolandia by Stephen West, in a merino/silk blend from a small business called Feliz y Punto which is fairly local to me. I love the colours here, and I think this stitch pattern works really well with variegated yarns. Finishing that long edge with a picot bind-off was NOT fun, though. 😖

What have the rest of you been up to?

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 9
The sunburst granny square is so addictive! I made 4 blankets with that pattern last year 😂 It was hard to stop.

I'm a huge Drops fan too. Mostly because it's affordable on my budget. It's great value. I'm a big fan of all their cotton yarns. Currently Safran is a favourite to work with. My treat is a bit of scheepjes catona. Superb for amigurumi.. Here's. Something I made for my daughters play kitchen 😁

The sunburst granny square is so addictive! I made 4 blankets with that pattern last year 😂 It was hard to stop.
It's a classic!

Attachments

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
I have successfully swapped very expensive Twinkle super chunky for DROPS chunky doubled - great colours, similar tension and so much cheaper and more durable, less soft and wafts

Thank you 💕 Yes crochet does create quite a heavy fabric. I've been mostly making blankets with crochet. But I think knitting is better for wearable garments. My kids are fast growing up. So I've missed the boat for knitting tiny bonnets and cardigans.
I'd love to see what others are crocheting, knitting and sewing. 😊
The charity “Knit for Peace” is always grateful for knitted donations, for people here in UK and abroad. If I fancy making something small eg a cardi I send it to them. It says what they need on their website.

Reactions: 5