Crafting

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I took a career break in October 2019 and decided to take up knitting. I made a blanket first, just knit squares and sewed them together, then moved on to baby clothes for my nephews and niece and started doing adult clothes in lockdown, although I keep doing the same cardigan because once people see it they all bloody want it 😄 mum taught be knitting when I was very young but never picked it up until I was 38! Better late than never I guess! I’ve attached a few bits I’ve done! I paint a bit too but I find it easier picking up the knitting needles. I’ve done the bobbly cardigan a few times in different colours, about to start another one just waiting on the wool to arrive, I find knitting quite addictive! I’m just a bit slow at projects now I’m back at work 😒 please share more of your projects I’d love to maybe get some inspiration to try something else.
those mosaic murals are unreal I love them!!

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I took a career break in October 2019 and decided to take up knitting. I made a blanket first, just knit squares and sewed them together, then moved on to baby clothes for my nephews and niece and started doing adult clothes in lockdown, although I keep doing the same cardigan because once people see it they all bloody want it 😄 mum taught be knitting when I was very young but never picked it up until I was 38! Better late than never I guess! I’ve attached a few bits I’ve done! I paint a bit too but I find it easier picking up the knitting needles. I’ve done the bobbly cardigan a few times in different colours, about to start another one just waiting on the wool to arrive, I find knitting quite addictive! I’m just a bit slow at projects now I’m back at work 😒 please share more of your projects I’d love to maybe get some inspiration to try something else.
These are beautiful, I love those little sheep!

Reactions: 9
I learnt to knit when I was pregnant and made a blanket, about to make another for my second baby but need to re learn again as I haven’t made anything since my one and only knitted project🙈 would love to make a cardigan too for baby but need to research best wool etc

Reactions: 10
I got a Stitch & Story ‘crochet your own Pusheen cat’ kit for Christmas, going to try and start it this afternoon 😄

Reactions: 6
I learnt to knit when I was pregnant and made a blanket, about to make another for my second baby but need to re learn again as I haven’t made anything since my one and only knitted project🙈 would love to make a cardigan too for baby but need to research best wool etc
The little red baseball jacket with cream sleeved I posted was the first thing I knit after making a square blanket, it was relatively easy. I use lovecrafts.com and I just searched for free patterns to begin with so I could download them and read them to see if I could follow them. Lovecrafts tells you what wool to use and needles and how many balls of yarn for which size. So I just ordered it all from them and off I went. Any stitches or instructions I didn’t understand I googled and there was always a helpful YouTube video Which i would watch a few times! But I just filtered the patterns to ‘beginner’ on lovecrafts to start off with. They have loads of baby blanket patterns on there too.
I’m only a year in and I still struggle with some patterns and instructions but I just love the challenge and find it so rewarding. My mental health has really taken a knock with being furloughed and not seeing my family, especially my young nephews and niece, my mum looks after my dad who has Alzheimer’s and she got diagnosed with cancer in September thankfully it’s been removed and no further treatment is necessary but it was a rough ride for a while with dad not remembering and having to retell him and also not understanding that she couldn’t do stuff for him after the op, she still can’t drive for another few weeks, but anyway things are better now but it’s been a good way to keep my mind occupied!

to crocheters you can also get crochet patterns on lovecrafts and some of the women’s jumpers are gorgeous is crocheting hard to pick up from scratch because there’s some patterns I would love to make!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I made this from a Rolife kit. Working on another of theirs at the moment, and enjoying it.

I crochet too, but forgot to take a picture of the last thing I did, which was a baby blanket for new nephew. Attic24 and BellaCoco are fab for anyone wanting to learn.

Look forward to seeing and hearing about everyone's makes ☺
IMG_20201215_164223_247.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 30
I'll be honest, I don't get on with many indie sewing pattern companies at all. I know a lot of other people do, though, so that's cool! I'm loving the photos here, especially @SoulRebel's mosaics - wow!!!

(Also, most online sewing spaces are a bit tit, aren't they? There often seems to be nothing in between American women making modest dresses to wear to church and people organising pile-ons because someone didn't declare their pronouns. Oh, and 5000 variants of "I hope hubby doesn't mind that I just bought another 50m of fabric" and people taking photos of bobbins that almost ran out but didn't...can you tell I'm bitter?)

Anyway, I need to dig out some photos. Here's a blanket I knitted a couple of years ago, the pattern is 10-Stitch Blanket by Frankie Brown and the yarn was DROPS but I can't remember beyond that. It was sock weight yarn and took me forever, but I was so happy when I finally finished!

20170402_183453.jpg

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 24
The little red baseball jacket with cream sleeved I posted was the first thing I knit after making a square blanket, it was relatively easy. I use lovecrafts.com and I just searched for free patterns to begin with so I could download them and read them to see if I could follow them. Lovecrafts tells you what wool to use and needles and how many balls of yarn for which size. So I just ordered it all from them and off I went. Any stitches or instructions I didn’t understand I googled and there was always a helpful YouTube video Which i would watch a few times! But I just filtered the patterns to ‘beginner’ on lovecrafts to start off with. They have loads of baby blanket patterns on there too.
I’m only a year in and I still struggle with some patterns and instructions but I just love the challenge and find it so rewarding. My mental health has really taken a knock with being furloughed and not seeing my family, especially my young nephews and niece, my mum looks after my dad who has Alzheimer’s and she got diagnosed with cancer in September thankfully it’s been removed and no further treatment is necessary but it was a rough ride for a while with dad not remembering and having to retell him and also not understanding that she couldn’t do stuff for him after the op, she still can’t drive for another few weeks, but anyway things are better now but it’s been a good way to keep my mind occupied!

to crocheters you can also get crochet patterns on lovecrafts and some of the women’s jumpers are gorgeous is crocheting hard to pick up from scratch because there’s some patterns I would love to make!
Thank you so much I’m going to have a look tonight and find one I think I can manage! This has really spurred me on to start! The baseball jacket is amazing 😍

My mum is going through chemo so I’ve got her knitting booties and hats to keep her busy and occupied. She’s about to start a cross stitch pattern of Cornwall she’s put off for years it’s amazing what crafting can do. I think it’s underrated

• Heart
There is a charity called “Knit for Peace”. I send them hats, children’s jumpers and scarves etc. They send them to refuges in the UK and to refugees abroad. They also support women’s knitting groups in African countries as well.

• Heart
I'll be honest, I don't get on with many indie sewing pattern companies at all. I know a lot of other people do, though, so that's cool! I'm loving the photos here, especially @SoulRebel's mosaics - wow!!!

(Also, most online sewing spaces are a bit tit, aren't they? There often seems to be nothing in between American women making modest dresses to wear to church and people organising pile-ons because someone didn't declare their pronouns. Oh, and 5000 variants of "I hope hubby doesn't mind that I just bought another 50m of fabric" and people taking photos of bobbins that almost ran out but didn't...can you tell I'm bitter?)

Anyway, I need to dig out some photos. Here's a blanket I knitted a couple of years ago, the pattern is 10-Stitch Blanket by Frankie Brown and the yarn was DROPS but I can't remember beyond that. It was sock weight yarn and took me forever, but I was so happy when I finally finished!

View attachment 368222
That blanket is stunning! I can't have knitted blankets here as we have four dogs and far too many cats but I looked up Frankie Brown on Ravelry and wow - so many amazing free patterns. Thank you 👌

These are all amazing but the bobble cardigan is 😍😍😍 I've been lusting after one pretty much the same on chicwish for at least a year which I've attached. Where was that pattern from please? I can do basic knitting (like straight lines haha, I make a great scarf of blanket) but my Nan is a pro so I'll maybe ask her for "help"

Attachments

These are all amazing but the bobble cardigan is 😍😍😍 I've been lusting after one pretty much the same on chicwish for at least a year which I've attached. Where was that pattern from please? I can do basic knitting (like straight lines haha, I make a great scarf of blanket) but my Nan is a pro so I'll maybe ask her for "help"
Lily Allen wears a similar amazing jumper on her book cover that I’ve never been able to locate, it’s similar to this! Although a lot of chic wish is just sourced from Ali express, you can find it for better than half price there!

I made this from a Rolife kit. Working on another of theirs at the moment, and enjoying it.

I crochet too, but forgot to take a picture of the last thing I did, which was a baby blanket for new nephew. Attic24 and BellaCoco are fab for anyone wanting to learn.

Look forward to seeing and hearing about everyone's makes ☺
View attachment 368156
I love these, they always come up in my Amazon recommended weirdly? They’re like crafty Lego!

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Bobbles are easy - just working increases and decreases into the same stitch - but tedious. You'll get the hang of them quickly, then swear off them for a looooong time when you finish the project.

Here are some pics from 2 or 3 years ago...I was sewing a lot, mostly cotton dresses in various New Look patterns, and also knitting a lot of cropped cardigans. I still have these, but my style's changed a bit (maybe another reason why I haven't been crafting much lately?). I have a jacket that I started a year ago and is about 80% done, I'll try to finish it this week to give myself a kick up the ass!

PS I had fallen over running not long before these photos were taken, hence the scabby knee!

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Bobbles are easy - just working increases and decreases into the same stitch - but tedious. You'll get the hang of them quickly, then swear off them for a looooong time when you finish the project.

Here are some pics from 2 or 3 years ago...I was sewing a lot, mostly cotton dresses in various New Look patterns, and also knitting a lot of cropped cardigans. I still have these, but my style's changed a bit (maybe another reason why I haven't been crafting much lately?). I have a jacket that I started a year ago and is about 80% done, I'll try to finish it this week to give myself a kick up the ass!

PS I had fallen over running not long before these photos were taken, hence the scabby knee!
Oh I love those particularly that first one! I think everyone tends to start out sewing similar things and just getting to grips with everything. I've tried to be really conscious the last year and a half about patterns and fabric choices so that I'm actually sewing stuff I will wear. Also, circumstances change, tastes change. It's cool when you can harness that and adapt. I've certainly sewn a lot more loungewear in the last year!

I've been sewing up some active wear this evening in the hope it might inspire me to actually do some exercise! 🤣

• Heart
Love this thread! You’re all so talented!! I’m a lapsed sewer but to be honest I only ever used to do small hand stitched projects like lavender bags etc as I get impatient and never learnt to follow patterns etc. Though I suppose it’s never too late to learn. I have my grandmother’s sewing machine from the 1970s/80s which last time I checked is working fine but I’m a bit scared of it tbh.
Recently I learnt basic knitting via YouTube. I’ve just finished a scarf but it is wider at one end than the other and full of holes 🤣 So I have a lot to learn!!
I would like to learn to crochet too.

I love cross stitching! It’s so relaxing. 😃
I’ve just started! I’ve never been this way inclined but I have really enjoyed an afternoon on the sofa doing a cross stitch.
I’m thinking of trying some embroidery after I’ve gotten a little better 🤣

Reactions: 8
More Merchant & Mills information - the sizes are huge! I made a dress which I had to chop 1.5” from each side.
I made the trapeze dress in the summer, I added pockets. It’s easy for M&M, and great to wear.

Reactions: 4
More Merchant & Mills information - the sizes are huge! I made a dress which I had to chop 1.5” from each side.
I made the trapeze dress in the summer, I added pockets. It’s easy for M&M, and great to wear.
Someone has mentioned to me before the M&M sizes are huge!

Ah thanks, that one looks lovely! What kind of fabric did you make it in if you don’t mind me asking? Xx

Reactions: 2
Where did you learn? I’ve tried YouTube but couldn’t get my head around it 🙈🙈

Reactions: 1