Crafting

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Wow, these are stunning! You're very talented. ☺

I recently used up almost all my mismatched yarns (was given quite a lot when someone I know died, plus a few random balls I'd bought but didn't love) making a big crocheted basket to keep my knitting and crochet stuff in! It was very fun to do, using 4 or 5 yarns together to make a thick, stiff fabric so that the basket stands up on its own.

I personally get much more of a thrill out of using up what I have rather than buying and hoarding materials. I'm now working on some socks using bamboo yarn, and won't buy any more for another project until I've finished these socks.
Oh me too. Im currently slogging my way through all my scraps - although the pile doesn’t seem to be getting any smaller!
Plus, using it all up is a perfect excuse to buy more.

Reactions: 1
These are beautiful ❤❤

Pic!!! That sounds amazing

View attachment 2787384

I went to Aldi this morning and I know what I said….but these will be used.
I also went against what I said here and boight 4 balls of the rusty coloured aran yarn you have next to the two yellow ones.

I just loved the colour. I have never used Aldi yarn before and I am impressed so far.

Reactions: 2
I agree about over-buying. I have yarn from when I first started crocheting that I'll likely never use and should give away or to charity, and now I only buy for specific projects or if I know for certain I can make something with the yarn.

My last big projects were the Jamie Crow Persian tiles blanket in the eastern jewels colourway (I've done the original colours before) and a granny square blanket in 70s orange and peach type colours for my friend's baby. I'm chuffed I've managed to use almost all the leftover stash on another Jamie Crow pattern (magical lanterns), I've done 110 of 157 pieces, although I'll probably have to buy yarn to join them with.

Pictures of my most recent finished projects...
These are lovely. I haven't tried making anything that involve joining so many parts together as I think I would get bored or mess it up. The colours look gorgeous.

These are lovely fresh spring colours. Aldi are always good at making the craft event colours match the upcoming season.

• Heart
The last yarn I got from Aldi was in autumn and again lovely autumn colours. I made a lovely scarf out of them. It’s very good quality for the price. Like quite a lot of ALDIs stuff.

Oh i love that - it looks perfect and the colours are my cup of tea.

I'm doing a crafy fayre on Sunday - have all my stuff made just pricing up. I struggle so much with wanting to get a decent price for the work I've put in but also just want to sell some stuff!!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Oh i love that - it looks perfect and the colours are my cup of tea.

I'm doing a crafy fayre on Sunday - have all my stuff made just pricing up. I struggle so much with wanting to get a decent price for the work I've put in but also just want to sell some stuff!!
I'm an artist and pricing is so difficult! Good luck with your fayre. ❤

• Heart
Does anyone make candles and or soap? How do you store them? I want to start making so I can sell for Xmas fairs but the last time I made soap the rose petals went brown an it sweated, I think it's cold press soap I have, is there a way I can store both the candles an soap so they will be fine by the time am ready to sell

I have made soap, but only from those kits when you melt the soap onto a mold and add scents and colours before setting. It is only for my personal use to don't have any useful advice sorry.

I have been in a bit of a craft slump recently. I was working away for a week and then I ended up making a scarf that I didn't enjoy working on and I just kept putting off finishing it. I have spent the first 3 months of year focusing on using scraps, and I am getting bored so I think time to inspire myself with something new.

I am considering giving this a go

I have a lot of balls of DK yarn , and it will force me to try new stitches .

I am going to push through the last bit of scarf later ( should be less than an hour to finish) and then I will take a close look at this.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I've been thinking of doing a similar blanket using my scrap yarn. I had a bereavement recently and my concentration isn't great atm. Something like the above would be ideal to pick up in the evenings 🧶

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I have made soap, but only from those kits when you melt the soap onto a mold and add scents and colours before setting. It is only for my personal use to don't have any useful advice sorry.

I have been in a bit of a craft slump recently. I was working away for a week and then I ended up making a scarf that I didn't enjoy working on and I just kept putting off finishing it. I have spent the first 3 months of year focusing on using scraps, and I am getting bored so I think time to inspire myself with something new.

I am considering giving this a go

I have a lot of balls of DK yarn , and it will force me to try new stitches .

I am going to push through the last bit of scarf later ( should be less than an hour to finish) and then I will take a close look at this.
I did this a couple of years ago it was a great way of learning new stitches, as a novice it came out a bit wonky and i'm tit at this 'blocking' business

I did this a couple of years ago it was a great way of learning new stitches, as a novice it came out a bit wonky and i'm tit at this 'blocking' business
I started working on this and I am row 8. It gave me the inspiration/kick up the bum to get going.

Reactions: 4
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has used wool and gang or we are knitters kits and think they are worth it for a pretty much complete beginner knitter? There’s a couple of lovely cardigan kits on both sites that I would like to try but they are very expensive! I have knitted in the past but not for about 10 years and never more than a scarf. I have also just taken up sewing so I’m not sure if I should get another hobby 😂 thank you!

This is my progress so far at the ' As we go stripey'. I had a bit of a fail with the 'Catherine Wheel' section. I just couldn't get it right. It looked right but I somehow ended up with to many stitches, so when I went back to a more simple stitch on row below I could not get the numbers right again.

Anyway, after 3 days/5 hours of trying to get that bit right I gave up and removed it and did some rows on pretty colours instead. Then I got to the star stitch row and I didnt like how they looked, so I replaced them with Suzette stitche.

So the blanket isn't really following the pattern anymore, but I thought I will try and stick to it where I can, and stick to the principle of changing colour and stitch type each row

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has used wool and gang or we are knitters kits and think they are worth it for a pretty much complete beginner knitter? There’s a couple of lovely cardigan kits on both sites that I would like to try but they are very expensive! I have knitted in the past but not for about 10 years and never more than a scarf. I have also just taken up sewing so I’m not sure if I should get another hobby 😂 thank you!
I've not used them but it may be cheaper to buy a pattern and the wool seperately - you can then choose whatever range of wool meets your budget. Theres lots of patterns on Etsy and some free ones on Raverly or the Love crafts website.

And you can never have too many hobbies!!!

This is my progress so far at the ' As we go stripey'. I had a bit of a fail with the 'Catherine Wheel' section. I just couldn't get it right. It looked right but I somehow ended up with to many stitches, so when I went back to a more simple stitch on row below I could not get the numbers right again.

Anyway, after 3 days/5 hours of trying to get that bit right I gave up and removed it and did some rows on pretty colours instead. Then I got to the star stitch row and I didnt like how they looked, so I replaced them with Suzette stitche.

So the blanket isn't really following the pattern anymore, but I thought I will try and stick to it where I can, and stick to the principle of changing colour and stitch type each row

That looks lovely - love the colours <3

Reactions: 6
Exactly what @veronica71 says above - there are a lot of patterns on ravelry that are free or not much (if there's one you love but think it's a bit pricey, see if the designer has a website and sign up to their newsletter, they normally give you a discount code for signing up). Ravelry is also great for seeing other people's projects on the same pattern too.

To see if the wool you like matches what the pattern states, a really helpful site is Yarn Substitution to check if what you want to use will work well (if it's not listed in someone's elses project already).

Happy knitting :)

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Guess who merrily stitched half a fairly large cross stitch pattern before noticing they had the fabric in the wrong orientation?

I found a website tutorial about joining pieces of aida together, but I experimented with scraps and it looked atrocious.
I started unpicking it (hence all the bits) but can't be arsed.
I've bought new aida (hence it being all creased where I shoved it in my bag so I could colour match).

Can't believe I did this! Think it's because I'm having to use a large rectangular frame and it's more comfortable to hold it a certain way, but didn't take this into account before starting.

I'm doing this pattern for a neighbour, it's not even one I particularly like. Otherwise I'd abandon it lol.

Attachments

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 8