Crafting

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Well the blanket of doom is finally finished. ( Needs washing!)
I’ve never made anything from a kit using someone else’s colour combination before - obviously being a contrary madam I swapped some colours over and did a completely different border. I’m not massively keen, although the person I made it for absolutely loves it.
View attachment 2657719View attachment 2657720
---
I also got my paper quilling kit out
View attachment 2657722
Have you got one of those handheld quilling devices or is that all by hand ? i saw one of the devices in instagram

Loving seeing all your creations! I've enjoyed knitting since I was a kid and I'm now going to try crochet. Does anyone have any recommendations on people to follow on tik tok or Instagram? I've also bought some watercolours and will do some painting for the first time since school! Looking forward to unleashing my creativity!

Reactions: 2
I like Blossom Crochet. Very easy to follow. I was a knitter first, learned to crochet which I find easier. I'm trying knitting again, a corner to corner baby blanket.

Well the blanket of doom is finally finished. ( Needs washing!)
I’ve never made anything from a kit using someone else’s colour combination before - obviously being a contrary madam I swapped some colours over and did a completely different border. I’m not massively keen, although the person I made it for absolutely loves it.
View attachment 2657719View attachment 2657720
---
I also got my paper quilling kit out
View attachment 2657722
This is so lovely 😍

I don't have the patience to do lots of small squares together. It looks bloody amazing

-----

Sent 2 blankets to a new home today. Part of a Christmas gift for a relative. I am glad they are going to somewhere they will be used. One is being lined up to be a throw, and the other a lap blanket

Reactions: 3
Hi, not sure if this has been posted or not

Am looking to getting into embroidery but I'd like to do designs on clothes, I see a lot of people use this fabric type sheet with the design on it then once done put it in water to wash away the sheet

How an where do I get these? Is it a thing or are people drawing/printing designs onto these sheets? Thanks

Am looking to getting into embroidery but I'd like to do designs on clothes, I see a lot of people use this fabric type sheet with the design on it then once done put it in water to wash away the sheet

How an where do I get these? Is it a thing or are people drawing/printing designs onto these sheets? Thanks
I think it might be water soluble stabiliser. I know there’s one called stick and stitch where you can print/draw your design onto the paper and then it just dissolves in water afterwards.

A relative bought me a sewing machine for Christmas and I'm busy pinning projects on Pinterest to have a go at! 🧵

Can anyone recommend any channels or resources for complete beginners on using a sewing machine, or any very basic tutorials? I find it much easier to follow a video than pictures or text.

Thanks! 😊

I think it might be water soluble stabiliser. I know there’s one called stick and stitch where you can print/draw your design onto the paper and then it just dissolves in water afterwards.
Thank you so much, I'll have a look for those, I see it on Instagram all the time but they never mention what they are using

Reactions: 1
I’m easing myself back in slowly as I struggle with both pain and dwindling energy levels so doing quite simple things at the moment. I bought a box blank with a birthday voucher and have made a storage box for greetings cards (as I usually store them in about 30 different places and lose them!) last week and today I’m repainting the tray that our coffee and tea stuff stands on, lining it with fablon and adding some jute string round the handles just to make it look a bit nicer.

I know they’re really simple things, I usually knit/crochet/sew/embroider/papercraft etc, but at least I’m doing something. I’m slowly starting to get ideas for more complex projects, which is really good as I’ve had zero motivation or inspiration for months.

I’d love to see more pictures of what others have been doing!
---
A relative bought me a sewing machine for Christmas and I'm busy pinning projects on Pinterest to have a go at! 🧵

Can anyone recommend any channels or resources for complete beginners on using a sewing machine, or any very basic tutorials? I find it much easier to follow a video than pictures or text.

Thanks! 😊
I don’t know of anything online, but your local college or fabric shop would have info on classes or drop in sessions. I found drop in sessions were brilliant when I learnt ☺

• Heart
Reactions: 5

Thanks! 😊
Look up the sewing institute on Facebook and look at their videos.
I’m local so have been to many sewing classes and they put loads of free video tutorials out. Scroll throughly to covid times they did lots then.

• Heart
I have decided to start on an 'ugly scrap' blanket. I have lots of smaller lengths of yarn that are to small to do anything with, and several half balls of yarn left from various things. I don't enjoy making small toys so I thought this would be best use for leftovers.

I have started by sorting out all my scraps, untangling them and joining the smaller ones to make a scrap ball. I have also unravelled some test swatches and failed projects.

• Heart
Reactions: 7

Amazon sell water soluble embroidery fabric, with pre-printed designs.

Reactions: 4
Im getting on ok with my knitting (after 2 trial runs and ripping it out 😂)
I've also crocheted a Call the Midwife blanket for my friend's new grandbaby.

• Heart
I have decided to start on an 'ugly scrap' blanket. I have lots of smaller lengths of yarn that are to small to do anything with, and several half balls of yarn left from various things. I don't enjoy making small toys so I thought this would be best use for leftovers.

I have started by sorting out all my scraps, untangling them and joining the smaller ones to make a scrap ball. I have also unravelled some test swatches and failed projects.
Id love to see how it turns out - all those ends to sew in though! It must be something to do with the New Year because I’ve decided to do something with my bin bag (😳) of scraps. I’m going to make squares and try and do some kind of colour wash blanket. I think it might look nicer in my head than it will in reality.

@Moongirl69 - do you have a pic of the CTM blanket?

Reactions: 1
@Miss Begotten I am cheating the ends and just knotting the yarn together since it is just for fun. It is currently a mix of DK and Arran weight wool. Plus some strange mystery size yarn that I got from amazon when I didn't know to check for things.

I have started in a single uk double crochet stitch, 120 stitches wide. It actually looks pretty funky so far, seeing all the bright colours all mixed up like that. I would have made it wider if I had realised how fun it would look.

• Heart
I have been really enjoying making my scarp blanket so far. It is so colourful and fun. It changes colours, yarn type and yarn quality at irregular intervals all over the place. It somehow looks just as nice as something I have planned properly.

-----

DAE get surprised at how much drama some small hobby groups can generate?

I am in a Facebook group for crochet beginners. Within the last few weeks the following arguments/drama/general stupidity have happened.

People who buy online for price/ease/no local shops V people who only buy from local independent stores and like to rub it in people's faces if something goes wrong with an order.

People who accuse others of being unethical as they buy yarn from Aldi and pound shop.

People complaining that some people are not beginners and should not be allowed in group, but failing to understand that without a mix of abilities it would be the blind leading the blind.

People who last minute decided to make a temperature blanket and panic bought yarn without planning....and then got upset because of the cost, the fact they bought to much or to little in one colour, they didn't check the weight of the yarn when buying in and have spent lots of money on 10 50g balls.

Someone saw a handmade blanket in a charity shop and had a rant over how cheap the charity shop was selling it for as it ' devalued' the work.

People who say ' I have never done crochet or knitting, but I want to start making and selling as a buisness, what is the easiest way to do it, also I do not want to have to deal with making basic items yo practice as these take up space'.

Someone made 'dragon scale' gloves and another user laughed at them and said it made her hands look like they were covered in tumours.

People posting AI crochet and passing it off as their own work.

I just crochet as it is a relaxing thing to do when I watch TV or listen to podcasts. I don't understand how people get so wound up over yarn twiddling.

Reactions: 8