Crafting

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm considering getting a sewing machine so I can try and make my LO some clothes. I've used sewing machines before and am confident with a bit of trial and error I could make something passable but I was wondering if anyone who sews clothes can tell me where you find fabric that isn't really light cotton?

Can anyone recommend a good circular needle set? I took up knitting in the last few months and am thinking of making a purchase. I am leaning towards Knitpro Zings. I have mainly plastic and wooden straight needles and the wooden ones have worn done a lot over the last couple of months so I want to stay away from wood/bamboo.

I enjoy embroidery very much but I lack the patience to work on detailed, intricate stuff which keeps me from improving my stitching. I have a few embroidery and cross-stitch designs at hand, mostly got them free online from Pinterest or DMC website. I've finished one festive bird embroidery last year and I'm happy with it.

I want to learn to sew and considering getting a sewing machine. I'm tired of shopping and trying to find a good seamstress for bigger alterations. It'll take time to get good at it (the Victorian suit had me swooning, that's amazing!) but time will pass anyway. I wonder if you guys think a beginner would need lessons or if one can learn from videos, through trial-error?

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Can anyone recommend a good circular needle set? I took up knitting in the last few months and am thinking of making a purchase. I am leaning towards Knitpro Zings. I have mainly plastic and wooden straight needles and the wooden ones have worn done a lot over the last couple of months so I want to stay away from wood/bamboo.
I like the knitpro karbonz personally. They are light but strong 😊

I have the Knitpro Zings, which I like, but I love my Chiaogoo ones. They are more expensive than Knitpro, but they are worth it. The cable has no 'memory', so doesn't twist or kink and they do feel like they're better made.

Another vote for chiaogoo circular needles for reasons stated above. Plus they feel comfortable in hands and the tips are “just right.”

Reactions: 2
In the end I went with the Zings as I couldnt justify spending that amount on the Chiaogoo as a relative newbie. I tried the Zings out last night and they feel good but I have nothing to compare them to really.

• Heart
I revived the Arts and Crafts thread with this so please accept my apologies if you've read this already (also posted to the Christmas thread).

Our local library is holding a Christmas craft market in early December. I've recently started playing around with air dry clay and made myself some ornaments to imprint my LOs hand onto as I didn't want to pay £30 for a PIYP place to do it XD. They look really smart and I'm very pleased with them. It takes me about 20 minutes to do maybe 5 or 6. I was thinking I could perhaps take a stall and sell them. I'd sell shaped ones (Christmas trees, snowmen, normal 'baubles' both in white and with paint on), imprinted ones (just the bauble shapes) and plain white baubles with instructions on how to do the hand or footprints. Was thinking about £3 for the fancier ones and £2.50 for the plain ones. I've also made some ring holders and could easily make some little trinket trays too. Would probably sell those for a similar price.

Bearing in mind I'm committed to a panto (rehearsals twice a week) and have an 8 month old baby... is that a dumb idea? I reckon I could do it, dedicating one or two evenings a week to making stock. The longest part of it all is letting it dry.

The stall is £10 and then I'd need public liability insurance, the clay I use is about £4 for a kilo and I can get maybe 20 ornaments out of it. Other supplies would be ribbon (maybe £2 a roll in hobbycraft), paint (I've got most of it already but perhaps £3 a tube), varnish (more expensive - £10 a can for the one I like) and branding supplies (I've got a shop design from many failed Etsy attempts, but nothing printed - though I do own a Cricut). I suppose tissue paper to wrap things in would be useful too.

I revived the Arts and Crafts thread with this so please accept my apologies if you've read this already (also posted to the Christmas thread).

Our local library is holding a Christmas craft market in early December. I've recently started playing around with air dry clay and made myself some ornaments to imprint my LOs hand onto as I didn't want to pay £30 for a PIYP place to do it XD. They look really smart and I'm very pleased with them. It takes me about 20 minutes to do maybe 5 or 6. I was thinking I could perhaps take a stall and sell them. I'd sell shaped ones (Christmas trees, snowmen, normal 'baubles' both in white and with paint on), imprinted ones (just the bauble shapes) and plain white baubles with instructions on how to do the hand or footprints. Was thinking about £3 for the fancier ones and £2.50 for the plain ones. I've also made some ring holders and could easily make some little trinket trays too. Would probably sell those for a similar price.

Bearing in mind I'm committed to a panto (rehearsals twice a week) and have an 8 month old baby... is that a dumb idea? I reckon I could do it, dedicating one or two evenings a week to making stock. The longest part of it all is letting it dry.

The stall is £10 and then I'd need public liability insurance, the clay I use is about £4 for a kilo and I can get maybe 20 ornaments out of it. Other supplies would be ribbon (maybe £2 a roll in hobbycraft), paint (I've got most of it already but perhaps £3 a tube), varnish (more expensive - £10 a can for the one I like) and branding supplies (I've got a shop design from many failed Etsy attempts, but nothing printed - though I do own a Cricut). I suppose tissue paper to wrap things in would be useful too.
I like the sound of your wares! I think you should just go for it. I don't think you have much to lose. It may lead to bigger things.

Reactions: 1
I like the sound of your wares! I think you should just go for it. I don't think you have much to lose. It may lead to bigger things.
Thanks, I've put the form in and we'll see!

If it doesn't come off I think I might take the leap and start that etsy shop properly...

Reactions: 1
Bringing back the thread as didn't want to start anything new.

I took up crochet for something to do when I was off work after surgery for a few weeks last year, and I have stuck at it.

I find it incredibly relaxing doing the repetitive stitches, and try and do some a few days a week. I have tried other crafts, but was never able to enjoy them as I felt under pressure to get things right first time otherwise it would stick/dry wrong etc. I love that I can just unravel something if I don't like it and start again. No pressure.

I have made a lot of scarfs and blankets as, for some reason, I can never get the hang of anything that doesn't require straight regular lines. My friend who also does crochet can old do circles.

My goal for next year is try and make a pair of gloves. My attempts so far have either been to big or to small

• Heart
Reactions: 9
ooh didn't know this thread existed - i'm one of those people who jumps between crafts so don't really have a 'niche' per se but do love craftng in general, some of my best childhood memories are making things from the recycling pile! at the moment i'm beading some xmas ornaments as gifts for the first time so will post those when finished (hopefully this weekend). i'm thinking of starting an etsy shop so if i get good feedback then i might make some up over the year. using felt so far but i do have decent access to fabric samples (interior design student) so might use any scraps i have to make more general non seasonal items.

talking xmas, i made this wreath about five years ago as a novice and it's still going strong. my mum still loves it so i'm glad it's not fallen apart. love flower arranging too, the bouquet was from xmas last year using an m&s bunch! would love to take a floristry short course or something once i've graduated

IMG_2181.jpeg
IMG_9917.jpeg
IMG_9921.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Wow those look beautiful. I think you definitely could sell those, I have seen people selling things that didn't look that good

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Bringing back the thread as didn't want to start anything new.

I took up crochet for something to do when I was off work after surgery for a few weeks last year, and I have stuck at it.

I find it incredibly relaxing doing the repetitive stitches, and try and do some a few days a week. I have tried other crafts, but was never able to enjoy them as I felt under pressure to get things right first time otherwise it would stick/dry wrong etc. I love that I can just unravel something if I don't like it and start again. No pressure.

I have made a lot of scarfs and blankets as, for some reason, I can never get the hang of anything that doesn't require straight regular lines. My friend who also does crochet can old do circles.

My goal for next year is try and make a pair of gloves. My attempts so far have either been to big or to small
I LOVE crocheting. There must be something about it because I taught myself when I hurt my back and had to sit still. I can knit, but I find knitting really fiddly and frustrating.
I’ve made so many blankets I’ve run out of people to donate them to.
Circles are actually fairly straightforward once you get the hang of them.
This is a pretty good tutorial and the pictures are really helpful

The Attic 24 website is really good for free patterns and ideas.

Has anyone here done any paper quilling? My friend bought me a kit and I’ve just started having a go. I’ve made a couple of designs but I find quite a lot of the patterns a bit twee and I’m looking for something a bit different.

I love attic24 and also repeatcrafterme for patterns. I find starting with a ‘magic circle’ is neater instead of chaining (don’t get such big holes in the middle of a circle). When learning to do crochet in the round I made lots of doilies until I was confident. Then I started to make all kinds of flower patterns. Have just finished the border on this flower blanket. Now have to weave in all the ends, argh!
IMG_4349.jpeg

---
Free pattern here

• Heart
I love attic24 and also repeatcrafterme for patterns. I find starting with a ‘magic circle’ is neater instead of chaining (don’t get such big holes in the middle of a circle). When learning to do crochet in the round I made lots of doilies until I was confident. Then I started to make all kinds of flower patterns. Have just finished the border on this flower blanket. Now have to weave in all the ends, argh! View attachment 2613243
That’s gorgeous!
I’m currently making this one https://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/aria-blanket.html
By the time I’ve finished I might feel brave enough to post a picture.

That’s lovely. It would take me longer to weave in all the ends than it would to make the blanket haha. Yes, please post when finished, I love seeing everyone’s crafts ❤
I really have to force myself to weave in my ends as I go along after I got to the end of my first blanket and realised I had literally hundreds of ends to sew in. Cue massive tantrum!