Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Rippedjeanmaybe

VIP Member
I have second hand embarrassment reading the posts by the OP...
Same! How cringey!

They are the kind of person I’d roll my eyes at in the office while they’re bragging away… meanwhile I’d rather stay humble.

I’ve been in poverty growing up and it doesn’t make you any less of a person because you rely on primark and cheap cars. If a car gets you from A to B does anyone really give a stuff except snobby twats?

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 26
25K is not minimum wage. I earn just over 26K as a copywriter late 30's and do not consider myself 'poor'. Care and nursery staff earn far less than this and have demanding roles. Ambition is attractive but in all honestly I care more that my partner has a good work ethic in general and is happy in what they do. People shouldn't be defined by their wages.

• Heart
Each to their own OP but bearing in mind the average salary in the UK floats around 30K and we are navigating a cost of living crisis, I count my blessings to have a secure income whatever that might be. I'm interested to know how you would feel about a change of circumstances ie if a high earning partner was suddenly made redundant and had to accept a lower paid role, would it change how you felt about them?

• Heart

QueenKoala

This thread honestly 🤦🏻‍♀️

We are in a “minimum wage” family, I’m 32 and have gone back to uni to train to be a nurse. My husband is self employed and has a small business with his dad. We have a 15 month old who wants for nothing, and dressed head to toe in primark and sainsburys.

We laugh everyday, we are excited for our annual Cornwall caravan trip. If someone asked me what my dream car was, I wouldn’t even know where to start as I literally couldn’t give a monkeys as long as it drove and it was safe.

I feel like I’ve won the lottery of life and it’s never had anything to do with the amount of money I or my husband earns. I would never ever swap this for a Rangerover or a designer bag, not in a million years.

• Heart

ploddertoo

VIP Member
Really loving this thread, now in my 50s I have come to realise if you don’t have your health you have nothing 💖

• Heart
Reactions: 25

I’mThankyou_

VIP Member
Doing something you love its great but ultimately I still think you need to think of finances and for you future , are you happy to work until your practically dead (no one will be able live off the state pension that’s even if there will be one in future or unless your going to inherit enough ) , also you need atleast a million budget to live somewhere half decent that’s close enough to London ( for a 4 bed family home in a nice area) , depends what you want in life but nice house, nice car , holidays and private school fees ( all fairly normal and fair goals people aspire to have ) all add up financially and just being in a job that makes you happy , with no real long term earning potential won’t get you that !
Its not a normal ambition to send your children to a private school.
You clearly enjoy spending someone else's money

Reactions: 24

Baby Giraffe

VIP Member
I won’t deny it’s been fun but I think we need to stop feeding the troll people!*

*not moderating, just a suggestion
To be honest this thread has been the best bonding experience ever, I’ve never seen so many people agree about anything!

• Haha
  • Heart

Snippysnips

VIP Member
Am also curious to know what people would think if someone did earn high but didn't spend it, just because they are pulling in good money doesn't mean to say it's going to be a fancier lifestyle 😅

My dad worked oil rigs for years, but tbh we were no better off than if he just worked at home on min wage because all his money was an still is locked up in savings, we mostly go by on my mum's wage, I'd actually have preferred if he did just work at home because he missed absolutely everything with me growing up, bdays, first an last school days, performances etc, the first new year he ever spent with us I was 19 an the first bday he was home for was my 21st

• Heart

Rippedjeanmaybe

VIP Member
And it’s all bullshit anyway…
I could easily say I live a ten bed mansion and have a private jet. No one on here knows who I am, I could in fact live in a shed and not even own a car at all.

anyone can come on here and brag they have it all, but they rarely do. Usually they’re lacking something, like confidence or decent relationships. As above, those who shout the loudest and all that.

• Heart

JodieGreen123

VIP Member
The wage itself is irrelevant, but the no intentions/ambitions of bettering themselves would be a huge red flag for me.

miss_americana

Chatty Member
Nothing just not a car I desire personally ! My first car was a Toyota though 🤦‍♀️🤭 , I have to admit , was reliable though just does not scream luxury!
My focus is nice and luxurious thanks very much. Has everything a Merc would have just without the fancy badges.
Bet you drive an Audi. (Explains a lot)

• Haha
  • Heart

Scorpihoe

VIP Member
I’m in two minds about this. Please no hate here, I’m sharing a lot of personal feelings and this has caused me to have a lot of dependency issues as an adult.

I thought I’d offer my perspective…I grew up very wealthy, my dad worked a lot and always made sure we lived in luxury. Around the time I was born, my dad was in the height of his career with so much property, he was always so busy, I barely saw him. He actually missed my birth because he was in a meeting, when my mum went into labour, and he refused to leave the meeting. We didn’t see him a lot as kids, but my mums a housewife and she took care of us at home. I’m in my mid 20s but I’ve never paid a bill (not that I would even know how to), never paid rent on any flat I’ve lived in, I still get a monthly allowance to my bank account, from my dad, and the first time I did laundry was at uni, because we always had a cleaner. I am basically an adult child, if you can call it that. I have so much anxiety about actually working, and depend on my parents for everything.

I was taken advantage of a bit in my first relationship. Because money was never an issue, I never looked for it in relationships. My first boyfriend worked but would make me pay for everything we did. My second boyfriend (now husband), came from nothing. His family are in masses of debt and live on credit cards. He was the complete opposite of me and moved out when he was 16. Incredibly independent, and I looked up to him. We were at uni when we met and he would always joke to me that one day he’s gonna make it big. I always laughed at him, because I just didn’t care. I didn’t care if he made it big or not because I loved him and how he took care of me, he taught me how to live life, to cook meals, to change my bedsheets (embarrasing at my age not knowing how to do that, I know). How he could have £3 left in his account but he’d use it to buy me a kinder egg. But he found something he was good at, and now he’s 25 and on a £60k salary.

my point is, if I had narrowed my search to men who are wealthy, who can give me the same life my dad has given me, I wouldn’t have found my absolute gem of a husband, and my soulmate 💎

sorry for rambling but you get the picture

• Heart
Reactions: 23

ThePidge

VIP Member
I have to say, I'm really enjoying other fellow bird species joining in on this thread. Attenborough would be proud.
Also as a previous poster said, materialist things will provide pleasure,… temporarily until the next new thing comes out… imagine constantly chasing for new things for some sort of self worth/validation.

The OP said she couldn't be without 3 “decent” holidays a year (to keep her sane) and to me, that screams “I’m unhappy”… I bloody love a UK caravan holiday and appreciate the pretty corners this country has to offer. I’ve worked across the world and I’ve been lucky enough to holiday in some breautiful places, and I still find myself wanting to be within the U.K. 😂

• Heart
  • Haha

miss_americana

Chatty Member
Good for you I just would not want to drive one personally

that’s not fantasy a lot of people live in 2 million pound homes around this part of bucks and have household staff ( not the Slough part of Bucks though 🤭)
I’ve spoken to the Ford focus lovers group (of which I am president) and we wouldn’t want you driving one anyway.

• Haha
  • Heart

Rippedjeanmaybe

VIP Member
Doing something you love its great but ultimately I still think you need to think of finances and for you future , are you happy to work until your practically dead (no one will be able live off the state pension that’s even if there will be one in future or unless your going to inherit enough ) , also you need atleast a million budget to live somewhere half decent that’s close enough to London ( for a 4 bed family home in a nice area) , depends what you want in life but nice house, nice car , holidays and private school fees ( all fairly normal and fair goals people aspire to have ) all add up financially and just being in a job that makes you happy , with no real long term earning potential won’t get you that !
Why do you care so much? Maybe you should keep your snobby beak out of other people’s business and mind your own? Does it affect you if some people work until they die?
I feel you’re the kind of person who steps over someone in the street and looks down your nose at them just because they’ve been unfortunate or you look down at the low paid person in the supermarket that’s serving you.

ultimately, a lot of nurses are low paid, but they’re going to the ones that help save your life in an emergency. Care workers are low paid, but they’re gonna be the ones that are feeding you with a spoon when you’re too old to do it yourself.

dont look down your nose at others, especially not when you were once in their position and could be again someday.

Who’s to say what’s a nice house? Who’s to say what’s a nice car? You’re so up your own arse it’s untrue. And the really sad thing is that you probably think most on here are making these comments because they aspire to have what you have… believe me, most on this thread probably do have what you have and more besides, but they stay humble and they have more because they have decency and respect.

• Heart