Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Jellybean093

VIP Member
I’d be happy they had a job tbh. Just because you think the wage is low, doesn’t mean they don’t have any ambition?
I got married because I love my husband, not because of the money he had in the bank

• Heart
Reactions: 63

I’mThankyou_

VIP Member
Honestly.
25k isn't a that bad.
Some people don't have aspirations to be earning hundreds of thousands of pounds a year, and that's okay, if they can make their life worth while and bring me happiness and make me feel loved and worthy i wouldn't care if they were earning 25k or 250k.
Money isn't the bee all and end all of life.

• Heart
Reactions: 50

Snippysnips

VIP Member
Honestly it would be the person who mattered not what they earned, the vast majority are on min wage or living wage an it can he hard to get above it, all jobs I've had have been min wage an I've been retail,office,care home etc an some jobs I absolutely loved, the care home for instance I enjoyed but lost due to COVID, if someone wasn't happy with my wage then they can go, to me being happy goes above money, my brother makes quite a bit but is never home, misses out on his kid an is just constantly working shitty times

• Heart
Reactions: 44

Rippedjeanmaybe

VIP Member
Interesting responses , so personally I’m going to be completely honest I like money (
earning it myself) and nice things , so I personally would struggle to marry someone who a did not have the same mindset and say would be content earning 25-30k a year in their 40s and say they just wanted to go a magaluf for a holiday and drive a Ford focus / Skoda and wear clothes from primark all the time … the thought of it gives me anxiety loool
---

Not criticising people who are happy to earn that and drive a Ford focus ( or any other average car) but I just don’t desire to live that life myself personally that’s all , I’m just curious to hear others opinions on financial / lifestyle goals
Id rather be content on a lower wage and driving a focus than looking down my nose at those that do.

We aren’t all materialistic and shallow. Some people are content with the smaller things in life.

• Heart
Reactions: 43

shadowcat5

VIP Member
To be honest this thread has been the best bonding experience ever, I’ve never seen so many people agree about anything!
and we have managed to bring the childfree and the toddler/boddler/baby people together, united as one after a long and drawn out war

• Haha
Reactions: 37

Jellybean093

VIP Member
Interesting responses , so personally I’m going to be completely honest I like money (
earning it myself) and nice things , so I personally would struggle to marry someone who a did not have the same mindset and say would be content earning 25-30k a year in their 40s and say they just wanted to go a magaluf for a holiday and drive a Ford focus / Skoda and wear clothes from primark all the time … the thought of it gives me anxiety loool
---

Not criticising people who are happy to earn that and drive a Ford focus ( or any other average car) but I just don’t desire to live that life myself personally that’s all , I’m just curious to hear others opinions on financial / lifestyle goals
Maybe it’s not about being content, but the fact there isn’t many jobs offering more out there. My husband is on just above £30k a year and I’m on £25k a year. We have 5 children between us, and tbh, I’d rather be driving a focus/holidays to magaluf and wearing clothes from primark than have an attitude like yours

• Heart
Reactions: 36

Lazarus

VIP Member
---
My partner earns less than 30k in a (fairly high profile) job he loves. We have long haul holidays once a year and 2 European city breaks every year. He is currently having a suit tailor made; it will hang in his wardrobe alongside the other 4 tailor made suits.
our house is filled with books, music, nice furniture and most importantly, happiness.
We don’t drive, don’t have any debt, love our jobs even though they aren’t massively well paid. We own our house and have a very small mortgage. I’m sorry your bias makes you think that people on a certain income only go to certain holiday destinations or shop in Primark. Perhaps you need to get out of your social bubble.
ETA: your original question is about marrying someone ‘poor’. I already feel richer than you, purely due to my mindset. Poor isn’t only about money and possessions, or lack thereof.

Last edited:
Reactions: 32

Borntorun

VIP Member
This thread makes me laugh. The richest person I know (talking billionaire here) drives a Ford focus, and his wife drives a Volvo estate 😂 their kids wear second hand clothes off Vinted. Another friend who’s financially very very wealthy are coming on a haven caravan holiday with us later in the year - it was their idea.

In my experience, the people who drive fancy cars are either ‘new money’ and desperately trying to prove themselves, or financed up to their eyeballs. People who are truly rich and established don’t feel the need and just buy what’s reliable and functional.

It’s also very true what they say. Money doesn’t buy happiness

Reactions: 30

Rippedjeanmaybe

VIP Member
I’m not on the child free thread, as I have children, but can you elaborate on this a bit more for me? I’m not being arsey, I genuinely want to know whats Happened over there?
We got chatting about how people presume we are career women as we don’t want kids and a few of us said we didn’t want either.

This person basically decided to tell us that having kids is easier than working (as if we care) and then presumed we were all broke and tried to get smug… when in reality if you don’t have kids you tend to afford nice things whether you earn high or not… they just presumed we all earn 30k and drive a focus… I think I’d rather earn 30k and drive a focus than be that shallow and up my own my arse, but hey ho 💅

• Heart
Reactions: 30

miss_americana

Chatty Member
100%. It makes me feel a bit annoyed knowing OP is looking down on those who are happy with not earning crazy amounts of money or not seeking partners who are going to fund their lifestyles. They seem to think what they are saying is ok because they started of with a Toyota car. 🤣 It is all a bit sad really... money can't buy humility eh!
BUT OP’s FIRST CAR WAS A TOYOTA SO ITS ALL OKAY #relatable 😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29

Rippedjeanmaybe

VIP Member
Oh and I’m presuming you’re asking this because of what you saw on the child free thread, seeing as you threw shade at people who were happy to earn 30k and drive a focus…

A few of us over there might not want a career, that doesn’t mean we lack ambition. It’s always more complex than that.

• Heart
  • Haha

Lazarus

VIP Member
@latranla respectfully, I have to say you’d bore me to tears. It sounds like your lifestyle is very materialistic, superficial and is one which isn’t sustainable on your income alone.
Im sad that with all the wealth you display you don’t mention the arts or anything remotely cultural, instead it’s Botox, nails, designer brands and a car bought from the efforts of someone else’s toil. It sounds like you’re really happy but it’s a lifestyle I’d never aspire to. I prefer culture, conversations and the arts. And my earnings are similar to yours, btw.
your lifestyle to me sounds like all style and no substance. I’m glad it’s unlikely our paths won’t cross.
I think you should have named the thread: did you luck out and marry a rich man like I did?

• Heart

Rippedjeanmaybe

VIP Member
25k isn’t minimum wage or at least it isn’t outside of London.
I believe it’s about 21.5k a year for the new minimum wage.

And to answer, no it wouldn’t bother me and yes I’d marry someone on minimum wage.

I’ll be honest. I’m currently in a job earning a low wage.
It’s a full time 9-5 office job. I work hard in my job, it’s just poorly paid with not many prospects for progression. I stay because it’s the job where I’ve received the least amount of bad treatment, I stay because my anxiety is terrible and I’m scared of going elsewhere and being bullied again.

If overtime is offered, I’ll take it. I have a degree. I have hobbies. I have interests. I also have crippling mental health problems & a mentally unstable mother to support.

My work life balance is also good in this job. I think I’d have a mental breakdown working in a job with more responsibilities. I want to try and relax at the weekend, not constantly think of work.

But if my husband decided tomorrow to take a minimum wage job, that would be fine. We would manage. (No kids)

Bottom line is… I don’t earn a low wage because I don’t have ambition or drive or because I’m not a hard worker! My own mind holds me back, it’s nothing to do with being lazy!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 28

Begborrowsteal

VIP Member
Well this is a yucky read.

People generally are a payslip or 2 away from being fucked. Wanting luxury is absolutely fine, punching down isnt.

I couldnt imagine wasting thousands of pounds on a fancy car, for example. But thats important to others. Different strokes innit.

• Heart
Reactions: 27

I’mThankyou_

VIP Member
---
In this economy, everyone is 1 or 2 paychecks away from being utterly broke.
I'd start getting used to primark clothes if I were you, life has a way of humbling people very quickly. And money doesn't last as long when you're shopping in selfridges instead of primark.
---
Ps, my focus was my most reliable car 😉

• Heart

Rippedjeanmaybe

VIP Member
Not really shallow…. in fact I actually drove a Toyota as my first car ! It’s just that since I got the Range Rover from my husband I don’t want to drive anything smaller or less !

Nope I drive a porsche…why what’s an Audi driver like ? 🤔🤭
Wow you’re actually embarrassing 🤣🤣

• Haha
  • Heart