Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #77

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think there is a lot to be positive about.

1. we have 3 approved vaccines
2. The rollout is gaining momentum
3. Sunset timings are a few mins longer each day (in Uk, giving us a bit more daylight, it helps)
4. We have made it through mid jan
5. We have a free NHS - in the US ambulances are known to leave you roadside bleeding if you don’t have insurance cover!
Love this. We are so much better then what we were.

Reactions: 12
I know it doesn't seem like it right now and im just one of many from the outside looking in, but im really feeling positive for you guys. Things will start to get better now xx
I’m sorry to be a negative nancy here but things starting to get better in 2021 just aren’t enough for me. I completely agree that some things will probably improve, but being allowed to go to a non-essential shop again or being allowed to meet in a group of 6 outside again for example just doesn’t make me feel any better. Especially when there is the risk of these little ‘freedoms’ being taken away again at the drop of a hat.

Do people honestly think we’ll be hugging family again this year? Or travelling anywhere we fancy going (not just the few places we’re allowed and with the fear that plans will be cancelled as soon as they’re made)? Or going back to work? Or just generally having rules relaxed without worrying about that all changing again in 24 hours. Not trying to be a twit here, I’m genuinely interested in what people think.

Reactions: 13
Well, Israel has seen a drop in infection rates with the vaccine, which is very good news!
And at least COVID is not as bad as Polio, TB, Bubonic plague and many other diseases. Yes Long COVID is a problem, and people unfortunately die, but can you imagine how would it feel if COVID had the mortality rate of bubonic plague, which is around 40%?
And we are so well of with the medical science! Compare this to the Spanish flu - if this happened 100 years ago, lot more people wouldn’t have survived. We can treat it, we can save people from dying, we have a vaccine that can help with seriousness of the disease. And most of us are in the UK, with good and free healthcare system, where at least you don’t need to worry how your grandparents are going to pay for the vaccine or treatment in hospital.
I am feeling all doom and gloom frequently but I try to remind myself of the positives.

Reactions: 19
Also, history has always shown that the second wave is worse than the first.

we just need to get past March.

things won’t go back to pre covid this year but I will settle for non essential shops & restaurants open & seeing family. That’s enough for now.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Sadly I really like having bbc parliament on in the background whilst I work (miss the office chat),
Did you know there are sound videos on Youtube for offices? Background chatting, keyboard typing, photocopying etc. Its quite soothing for those that miss the office apparently. There's also coffee shop ones for those who like that sound too. I love the internet sometimes. :)

• Heart
My Mum is having a COVID test on Monday as the school she works at is demanding all staff have one...my question is...why did they allow all the staff to go in for 2 weeks before doing this?! Not sure if it’s just my local area this has happened...but wow what a mess up. :oops:
Think they are starting regular testing for school staff

Reactions: 1
Well, Israel has seen a drop in infection rates with the vaccine, which is very good news!
And at least COVID is not as bad as Polio, TB, Bubonic plague and many other diseases. Yes Long COVID is a problem, and people unfortunately die, but can you imagine how would it feel if COVID had the mortality rate of bubonic plague, which is around 40%?
And we are so well of with the medical science! Compare this to the Spanish flu - if this happened 100 years ago, lot more people wouldn’t have survived. We can treat it, we can save people from dying, we have a vaccine that can help with seriousness of the disease. And most of us are in the UK, with good and free healthcare system, where at least you don’t need to worry how your grandparents are going to pay for the vaccine or treatment in hospital.
I am feeling all doom and gloom frequently but I try to remind myself of the positives.
Tbh although terrible to say if it was more deadly it would be gone quicker the diseases that linger are worse in the long term.

It’s terrible that we are already writing off 2021. I wrote it off about a week ago. I can see shops and stuff opening up again but I think we are a very long way away from meeting people in their houses and ditching face masks.
But we could literally meet people inside houses this (I mean last summer!) summer. There is nothing to suggest that this summer will be worse than last?

Reactions: 14
I think there is a lot to be positive about.

1. we have 3 approved vaccines
2. The rollout is gaining momentum
3. Sunset timings are a few mins longer each day (in Uk, giving us a bit more daylight, it helps)
4. We have made it through mid jan
5. We have a free NHS - in the US ambulances are known to leave you roadside bleeding if you don’t have insurance cover!

I also feel like I’m wasting time with this lock-in, however we do have HOPE.

let me just repeat that to myself each day.
Point 3, definitely. I think we all underestimate how much of an effect this has.

Does anyone else feel guilty for finding the pandemic so difficult when others have it worse? I've not had any family members catch it let alone become seriously ill or die. I can work from home. I'm introverted and don't do much socially anyway. I'm in the same financial position I was previously. I have no children to be home schooled... yet I'm starting to struggle a lot, and it feels selfish given my circumstances.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 23
I’m sorry to be a negative nancy here but things starting to get better in 2021 just aren’t enough for me. I completely agree that some things will probably improve, but being allowed to go to a non-essential shop again or being allowed to meet in a group of 6 outside again for example just doesn’t make me feel any better. Especially when there is the risk of these little ‘freedoms’ being taken away again at the drop of a hat.

Do people honestly think we’ll be hugging family again this year? Or travelling anywhere we fancy going (not just the few places we’re allowed and with the fear that plans will be cancelled as soon as they’re made)? Or going back to work? Or just generally having rules relaxed without worrying about that all changing again in 24 hours. Not trying to be a twit here, I’m genuinely interested in what people think.
Israel have already seen a 33% decline since vaccinating people......

We will be along the same path with our own vaccine. Covid is going to be around for years to come. There will always be people in hospital with it and dying from it just like with flu. We have to accept that some people will have such poor immune systems that if they catch Covid even after two jabs they may still die but hopefully won't catch it in the first place or more likely will just feel under the weather. We are vaccinating high risk groups so quickly that there shouldn't be any need for restrictions by April.

We are on our knees with a rubbish economy that's going to take decades to sort out. God help the young of today as I wouldn't want to think I would still be on this planet 50 years from now. I couldn't imagine starting a family in this day and age as global warming is rampant, I suspect other viruses as bad as Covid 19 to appear in the years to come and the young are going to be paying off the two trillion debt all their working life through high taxes.

We need normality by Spring so we can pump money back in to the economy by packing out entertainment venues and hospitality knowing the only people not vaccinated at that point will be those very very unlikely to even need hospital treatment if they were unlucky enough to catch it. We cannot keep hiding away forever.

Reactions: 10
Does anyone else feel guilty for finding the pandemic so difficult when others have it worse? I've not had any family members catch it let alone become seriously ill or die. I can work from home. I'm introverted and don't do much socially anyway. I'm in the same financial position I was previously. I have no children to be home schooled... yet I'm starting to struggle a lot, and it feels selfish given my circumstances.
Everyone has their own personal circumstances. If you are finding it tough, you are finding it tough. I try to find positives as much as I can but I do have times when I struggle and it's OK to admit that. Sending you a virtual hug xx

But 2021 isn't a total write off
Screenshot_20210115_124935.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Not selfish at all our lives have been turned upside down we’ve all a right to be angry no matter what position we’re in.

Would you feel guilty about being happy because someone else is happier or having a better time? Of course you wouldn't. Don't invalidate your experience and feelings by comparing to others.

Reactions: 12
You shouldn't feel guilty. I would find it odd if anyone wasn't struggling in some way with what we have all gone through.

Reactions: 11
Feeling sad about probably not being able to celebrate my 30th birthday in March the way I would have wanted to. It’s not like I’d have had a massive party, probably would have just gone for a meal with all my family. Now it looks like another year of doorstep drop offs and a McDonald’s delivery for dinner. Last year was meant to be in Disneyland for my birthday and it got cancelled days before because of all this crap. Two birthdays lost because of this utter tit, may as well pretend it’s just a normal day. There’s going to be nothing different or special about it at all. Partner will be at work so I’ll still have to do all the home schooling. It’s just tit.

Sorry I know it’s only a minor thing in the grand scheme of things but I always imagined my 30th birthday being a sort of ‘milestone’ birthday, everyone I know who’s turned 30 always had a big fuss made of them. I just wish I had something to look forward to.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
There will be many that refuse the vaccine, I have family members that are 68+ who don’t want it, that’s their choice but will that have an affect on our future? Will covid still be around all of the time years into the future? Will the virus eventually mutate to the point it’s not as serious if you catch it, like a nasty cold? I often ponder these questions in my head.

Reactions: 3
Feeling sad about probably not being able to celebrate my 30th birthday in March the way I would have wanted to. It’s not like I’d have had a massive party, probably would have just gone for a meal with all my family. Now it looks like another year of doorstep drop offs and a McDonald’s delivery for dinner. Last year was meant to be in Disneyland for my birthday and it got cancelled days before because of all this crap. Two birthdays lost because of this utter tit, may as well pretend it’s just a normal day. There’s going to be nothing different or special about it at all. Partner will be at work so I’ll still have to do all the home schooling. It’s just tit.

Sorry I know it’s only a minor thing in the grand scheme of things but I always imagined my 30th birthday being a sort of ‘milestone’ birthday, everyone I know who’s turned 30 always had a big fuss made of them. I just wish I had something to look forward to.
Honestly, you’ll get to 31 and realise 30th birthdays mean absolutely nothing 😂 (I’m 31 in a few weeks) I do hope you have a good birthday though - you can celebrate properly soon hopefully!

Reactions: 6

I totally understand how you feel. I’m 40 later this year and I’ve always said: I won’t be celebrating it here, I want to be on the most amazing, unforgettable holiday ever. The way it’s going, I can’t see it happening either. Not just because of travel restrictions and the virus but also because I have taken a major pay cut this year due to being made redundant and now working part time for a much lower wage. I know people say, oh you can celebrate later on but it’s not the same.

I do hope you can make it a great day with some of the small things that will lift your spirits a little. Sending you hugs 🤗♥

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.