Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

openbook1

VIP Member
People went on holiday in 2020. My mum went on 5 holidays abroad during the pandemic, don’t see why it wouldn’t be allowed this year. If anything I think it would open up more than it was last year.
Depends. I'm in Canada and flights to and from UK are still banned cause of the variant from there.

Doc

VIP Member
This is why my authority has set local priority criteria responding to local need for schools to apply. They had it set Wednesday of last week. My school hasn’t needed to apply it yet, as the numbers are low.

HMRC/tax/benefits don’t have records of jobs/titles etc we are all just codes in a much larger system. There are GDPR issues as well.

With respect I think it would be ethically wrong to open social services cases on parents, and there you also hammering key worker parents WFH with children with additional tasks to do.
Schools work with social services on the regular as part of safeguarding. I didn’t mean open cases, more use it as a qualifier for getting the kids into school.

Tots

VIP Member
I notice on the news they never tell you the number of people admitted to hospital. That's surely more important than case numbers. It's over 4000 patients today.
It’s reported on the gov website every day for the previous day.

jazyblu

Chatty Member
It was just a comment. Stop looking for confrontation. You won’t get it from me. I find it sad, you might not.
No every death is sad, I just wasn't sure what you were getting at - it sounded like one of those people who claim it doesn't count if the person is 96 and they refuse to believe any reason other than old age.

jazyblu

Chatty Member
The point is, your original statement using that as evidence to support it isn’t really that convincing because the data ISN’T that great given the landscape has shifted so much since it must have been drawn at the beginning of the week.

I think you jumped the gun in stating that’s what the picture is, using that one study, when in reality it’s very likely to have changed given parents and businesses have had time to explore their options.That’s all.
It is the reality for the only school week we have had so far. It’s pointless to speculate on the extent that has changed when not one day of week 2 has actually happened yet.
How have I jumped the gun? By that logic you can’t collect any data and make conclusions from it because it will change in the future.
I’m not even suggesting things don’t change but the future literally hasn’t happened yet, we have no idea if it will until it happens. That does not mean there is no point discussing the situation as it currently stands.
I don’t understand rejecting current data with the reason that it could be different next week.
Sure it could, it could be worse, it could be better, it could be the same. No one knows because it hasn’t happened yet.

In lockdown one the data shows that attendance went down week on week so it is by no means certain that it will increase this time.

Yel

Chatty Member
Are there any stats (or better still infographics!) to show nations that are more likely to refuse the vaccine?

France seems to have a high percentage for some reason

View attachment 385373

Abcd123

VIP Member

Seems the BBC are very keen to bang the drum on making sure we abide by the government's current lockdown rules, even if its to the detriment of ordinary people's livelihoods and mental health.

And yet, this video purports to show the BBC filming an episode of Doctor Who on a beach in Wales these last few days, and there doesn't appear to be much SD or mask wearing going on.

The commentator in the video does make the point that such filming for TV shows is "exempt" from Covid rules (1m13s). I don't know if that is true, but one does wonder why?
Tv show staff are all tested with private lateral flow tests... The same with chat show hosts and guests... So ive read online

Ohflogoff

VIP Member
We are two key workers both of us mainly at home (although my husband is regularly attending construction site meeting at short notice). Both of us spend 7-8 hours on zoom back to back in external meetings. I can’t supervise never mind homeschool. I put my hands up and say I can’t do it, wish I could but I can’t.

I am literally waiting to be chucked out of school then go off on unpaid leave, I’ve got no other choice 😬
But if the rules were clear, and you’re both keyworkers, this wouldn’t happen.

JodieGreen123

VIP Member
It would, if all people over the age of 65 lived alone. We live wit my in-laws, as do lots of our friends who didn’t have help from the bank of mum and dad. Most of our parents are over the age of 60, lots of them are over 65, but we are not. My MIL retired last year in January, but my FIL works in NHS, she is 65, he is 60. Does he shield with her and then NHS loses another worker? Do we shield with them? We have one friend where there are two children (one of them with his partner) live with their parents and grandmother on a big house, and everyone but the grandmother (she is in her 80s) work for NHS, and not as admin. It would be impossible to implement, because of so many people having to live with their parents and with lots of older people having to work because their pension is too low.
That's a really good point that I totally hadn't thought of! Thanks for sharing. I guess there would need to be exceptions, and then you'd have the same challenges we have at the moment with lots of people trying desperately find a way to be an exception.

G2000

The have had 9 months to put a backup plan in place should this happen again for any reason. It was clear another lockdown could happen and a policy should be in place before the warning even if it was just a policy and no prep has been done.
Their plan was meant to be in place by October.

July9696

Chatty Member
Wow this is shocking, Ireland were doing the best in Europe a month ago and I thought they had a strict lockdown? Not been following much. Is this just Christmas having it’s impact?

Ding

VIP Member
Ok I have a question. I placed a Boots order late last night (not essentials, well, its all bath/hair products so technically you could say its essential) 🤷🏻‍♀️ thought I would treat myself. I chose click and collect without thinking and now I'm wondering if I should cancel?
Even though the option for click and collect is there, its not essential.
Was going to walk to collect, town is nearly 3 miles away so was going to have a super long walk 🤷🏻‍♀️
Would you re-order for delivery or am I over thinking this? 😂

Tots

VIP Member
Anyone else getting texts like this? I’ve had three letters (in NHS envelopes) and this is maybe the third or fourth text (I’ve deleted them so don’t know). Surely there is enough evidence with routine workplace testing, private tests and the NHS daily tests done without harassing people in to having home swab tests!
Yes my son was written to (he’s 10), again it’s to study the asymptomatic spread and try and minimise it. I did his test yesterday and it went off by courier.

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Yeah I can’t wait for labour to get in with their magic money pot, rack up the national debt even more and eventually I’ll just get a tin of beans and a loaf of bread instead of a salary at the end of each month! This should have been treated like a war and we had a coalition government, sick to the back teeth of the point scoring and mud slinging when they are all as bad as each other!
had to laugh when I watched it.
started to get jealous I wasn’t in the uk with so much support on offer to pigs flying by windows
Im sitting here morning the Percy pigs and the good biscuits with the thicker chocolate on in Marks because of you bastards and your “going it alone” attitude and over there you’re being handed cash for just getting up and getting dressed in your *dressy* casuals in the morning ! The plans of a man who’s playing politics and nothing more.