Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #72

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There’s not really enough evidence to say lockdowns aren’t working, it’s only been a week since all the Christmas mixing was allowed to happen and 2 weeks since London was put in T4, it makes sense we wouldn’t be seeing any positive effects from a lockdown on case figures yet. Symptoms can take 10 days to start showing. We need to give it a little more time.

The schools thing is a bleeping shambles at this point. As per.
thats reassuring to hear 😁 it’s just hard knowing things are tit right now, and they’re only going to get worse!

Reactions: 3
We hoped the March lockdown would let us learn what to do. I just feel like we have rewound back to 2020 and will relive it all again. It's disgusting that Boris and the education secretary have not even made an announcement with people needing to make arrangements in less than 48 hours.

I have no joy for this new year. I feel so flat.

• Sad
Reactions: 24
thats reassuring to hear 😁 it’s just hard knowing things are tit right now, and they’re only going to get worse!
Yeah it’s hard knowing things will very likely be worse before they are better, especially when you think some areas were T2 until 3 days ago so they will keep climbing fast for a bit yet.

I think if they decide to close schools, then we will see figures dropping in a couple of weeks.

Reactions: 7
There’s not really enough evidence to say lockdowns aren’t working, it’s only been a week since all the Christmas mixing was allowed to happen and 2 weeks since London was put in T4, it makes sense we wouldn’t be seeing any positive effects from a lockdown on case figures yet. Symptoms can take 10 days to start showing. Some areas were in tier 2 only 3 days ago! We need to give it a little more time.

The schools thing is a bleeping shambles at this point. As per.
I agree, people seem to think lockdowns have an effect on numbers straight away but we probably need to evaluation things 2-4 weeks post new year as I suspect there were a lot of gatherings. That will give us an idea if it is working. We have to wait them out.

Reactions: 11
They must have known this was going to happen through right? Winter is always tit for the nhs, the last time we had lockdown we were coming out of winter... now we’re right in the middle of it. There comes a point where even if every individual person sits in a locked room and doesn’t go out except for absolute essentials it will STILL be spreading within hospitals and effecting the capacity. Plus one of the massive factors here is staff having to isolate all the bloody time because they keep getting exposed one way or another. Even an idiot could have seen this coming.

Reactions: 18
Surely the numbers will start to drop slightly as staff are being vaccinated.

Reactions: 1
Does anyone ever think about in, I don’t know maybe 10-20 years time, when there are books and films and enquiries about all of this and all the things we are going to find out?

Reactions: 35
So the government are either going to ignore it and hope teachers defy the unions and go in because they dare do no other, or do another u turn.

Whichever way they’ve caused much upset for no reason other than sheer incompetence. This has been on the cards since before Xmas.
the thing is, a lot of us teachers won’t leave our schools in the lurch like that. Maybe we should but my head has done all she can to keep me safe so far so it feels wrong to send her that letter and possibly put her in the tit. I’m also worried about the long term repercussions of it all, unions say you’re protected by it being a health and safety clause but id the school ever needs to look at redundancies who knows if it could influence it (obviously not by them directly using it but who knows if they hold a grudge)

I also think this vilifies teachers more. It will be blamed on us being lazy even more not the element of wanting to not kill our families, the children or their families. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Summer NHS was all about trying to catch up though, rather than preparing properly for the inevitable second wave. We could have invested in ensuring as many people as possible WFH, conditions managed acknowledging that treatments would be delayed, better facilities and trained staff... but we didn't. And here we are.

Reactions: 8
The vaccine doesn't stop you getting it, nor have they proven it stops it spreading. The vaccine only prevents people getting so ill, so it should hopefully brings the deaths down but there is worry that people will start to become more lapse with masks and SD etc so it could increase the spread.

Reactions: 5
Summer NHS was all about trying to catch up though, rather than preparing properly for the inevitable second wave. We could have invested in ensuring as many people as possible WFH, conditions managed acknowledging that treatments would be delayed, better facilities and trained staff... but we didn't. And here we are.
And our PPE aprons are still bin bags with the bottoms cut off 😂 It’s a bloody joke!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
Does anyone ever think about in, I don’t know maybe 10-20 years time, when there are books and films and enquiries about all of this and all the things we are going to find out?
Don’t wanna sound too weird but so excited to watch the films on this and be like UM I LIVED THROUGH THIS DRAMATIC EVENT 🙋🏻‍♀️ to my future kids. Haha.

But yes I’m sure loads of dodgy tit will come out too.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
It is going to be a while before the vaccine has a noticeable effect, currently we have given 1M the first dose. While that is a great milestone to hit it is only about 1.5% of the population, so we still have a while to go before enough people are vaccinated and transmission is reduced.

Reactions: 4
Sage have said even with schools closed and a lockdown, it’s unlikely the R will drop below 1 with the new variant

We also won’t see the work of tier 4 restrictions until late Jan. I think this month is going to be really rough
The new variant adds a massive amount to the R
ECFE00C6-9C98-4478-A5A7-995474563645.jpeg

Reactions: 2
It is going to be a while before the vaccine has a noticeable effect, currently we have given 1M the first dose. While that is a great milestone to hit it is only about 1.5% of the population, so we still have a while to go before enough people are vaccinated and transmission is reduced.
I cannot for the life of me work out why vaccinating NHS workers, care home workers, teachers etc is not the priority. I understand the elderly / vulnerable take up the most space in hospitals but what's the point in having the hospitals / care homes if the staff are not there. They need to start vaccinating NHS staff, care home workers and teachers ASAP so these essential roles can be continued...

• Heart
Reactions: 38
Don’t wanna sound too weird but so excited to watch the films on this and be like UM I LIVED THROUGH THIS DRAMATIC EVENT 🙋🏻‍♀️ to my future kids. Haha.

But yes I’m sure loads of dodgy tit will come out too.
I’ve had a glass of Baileys and am a lightweight and just thought ‘I wonder who will play me’ then realised I won’t be in it 😄😄

But seriously when the enquiries take place like they have about historical things before it’s going to be interesting but I also think quite scary. I sincerely, SINCERELY, hope governments learn from this so we won’t won’t be knocked to the floor by another pandemic, whether that’s in my lifetime or not.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
I cannot for the life of me work out why vaccinating NHS workers, care home workers, teachers etc is not the priority. I understand the elderly / vulnerable take up the most space in hospitals but what's the point in having the hospitals / care homes if the staff are not there. They need to start vaccinating NHS staff, care home workers and teachers ASAP so these essential roles can be continued...
Nhs staff have already started

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.