Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #72

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Question... Do school teachers get tested regularly as they are mingling with near 30 children on a daily basis, is this offered to you? My mums a care manager and as of next week they will be doing 3 x tests weekly for all staff (1 normal test that is sent away, and 2 x 30 minute tests)
No-one within my school does. We have to lie if we are feeling ill (sore throat, headache) to get a test. Thank god some staff did that because 2 tested positive that way (no cough/temp/loss of smell or taste, just sore throat and headache)

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Same. I actually feel quite ashamed of how my parenting has plummeted over the last year. I was never mother of the year to begin with, I just feel like im running on fumes and can barely get through most days. Not looking forward to home school at all. Tearing up thinking about it but also understand that it’s probably necessary.
I just hope if they do close it isn’t for weeks and weeks, with no end in sight. My 4 year old doesn’t understand what’s going on at all. He’s looking forward to seeing his friends next week. He’s started having tantrums recently as he’s so frustrated when I say we can’t go somewhere/see people. My eldest understand but can still tell it’s affecting him 😕

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
I just hope if they do close it isn’t for weeks and weeks, with no end in sight. My 4 year old doesn’t understand what’s going on at all. He’s looking forward to seeing his friends next week. He’s started having tantrums recently as he’s so frustrated when I say we can’t go somewhere/see people. My eldest understand but can still tell it’s affecting him 😕
I get this totally. I have a 6 year old, her half siblings are grown up and live elsewhere so she’s on her own. She struggles a lot without interacting and playing with others (I try, but I’m not a “playful” mum).

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Latest update re my 91 years young Dad ......
He was discharged yesterday, came home with a Zimmer frame. Looks knackered, but still has his spark for life, and sense of humour!
Carers will be three times daily (I'm still popping in, masked and shouting, as his hearing is just as bad), and the assessor told him in no uncertain terms that he needed a stair lift. As she said, his brain and mind are all there, but the body parts are a little tired. Carers are here for the next fortnight as they're part of the discharge service (tho they were surprised that he'd been discharged with only two hours notice), and after that, we will sort something out privately. The assessor made it clear that he needs help because I'm not well enough to step up yet, and he understands that. So, with a second Zimmer frame purchased this morning (complete with caddy at the front), a Keysafe relocated from our house to his, Sky Sports, acknowledgement from him that he really could do with a Blue Badge application, a Tesco delivery, and his own bed ..... well, I think that we'll be ok. He also unwrapped our Christmas hamper to him, and was dead chuffed with his rosé wine bag and variety of nibbles.
He didn't grump when I said that Stannah are coming on Monday, and hopefully the plumber will be here asap, so it's all good to go. And I'm not rushing back to work. Thank you so much everyone for your support, wishing a brighter and calmer New Year to you all 🙂 xx

• Heart
Reactions: 33
My 6yr old only ever had fatigue, loss of appetite and muscle pains
There's different symptoms emerging compared to the start of the pandemic ,our doctor asks for these ones and not just the classic ones that are listed .

Reactions: 4
I understand closing school is to reduce cases / protect the NHS but we’ve just had 2 weeks and cases are soaring, so what do they think a further 1/2/3/4 week delay will do? I worry once they shut they won’t reopen again until June and surely this is just not viable after last year.
We've just had Christmas though, with people travelling around the country, going inside each others home, staying overnight, hugging etc. From the elderly, right down to babies. Including people in tier 4 and where this new strain is.
There was bound to be a rise from that, if all children now return to school, after all that mixing and with cases at the rate they currently are. In 2 weeks time it will be catastrophic. The NHS in some areas isn't coping now.
The latest studies have shown that when children were on October half term, cases did drop significantly and then rose again when they returned. They know that children are the vectors that spread the virus to the adults in their households which is the biggest worry.
With a 2 week closure and no Christmas mixing, cases should drop enough for children to return once more. That's what they're doing in the South East and London. I guess we'll have to watch their figures to see what happens.

Reactions: 10
wtf!!! why can you not wear PPE?! No wonder teachers are striking, I would be too. As if teaching children is not stressful and badly paid enough!
This is so sad to read, you guys are definitely being let down 💔!! Have they said why PPE isn’t allowed to be worn? Oh gosh, I hope they do continue with tests even though they’ve had the vaccine, my mums work have had the vaccine and will still receive ongoing testing
DfE said it would do more harm to do the children seeing teachers in masks and would impede learning as some children rely on seeing our mouths to learn which is understandable.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
I really don’t know how Boris Johnson hasn’t shown his face and addressed what the bloody hell is going on. I don’t for one minute believe that any government could sail smoothly through a pandemic but our leadership is absolutely abysmal. It’s bleeping embarrassing. They really need to get their head out of their asses and starting putting the motions in to do the one thing they are meant to do: keeping us safe.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
I am really curious to know whether you are all of the same opinion as us. We have followed the rules all along, have not mixed with anyone within our own house and I have only met one friend outdoors socially-distanced, apart from that we have done as we were told and stayed at home. I firmly believe if we do this in the short term things will be better long term, but I think the vast majority of people just hate being 'told what to do' and thus don't follow the rules, which prolongs restrictions etc for the rest of us. We live in a coastal resort which is fairly small but is always popular at weekends and in school holidays. We had hoped that restrictions would make people stay away and make it safer for us, but we have been in tier 3 all along and it has been literally no deterrent for people travelling, mixing, congregating on the seafront etc. Some weekdays there has been queues of cars trying to park because it is so busy. It puts us off even going for a walk in our own town because of this. Since last week we are now tier 4 meaning almost everywhere is closed, yet have noticed no difference in amount of traffic etc. Was curious to know, when you have been out and about i.e. for a walk, on a car journey, have you noticed people following the rules or being oblivious to them?
where I am is exactly the same except in London, there’s a bakery near my house that people drive to from all sorts of areas to buy from and they flock here in droves - mainly in cars etc so the street is always busy even though we are T4. It’s a shame when you can’t fully enjoy where you live ☹, wish there was a way to make it residents only lol (like it should be in a stay at home order) xxx

• Sad
Reactions: 6
where I am is exactly the same except in London, there’s a bakery near my house that people drive to from all sorts of areas to buy from and they flock here in droves - mainly in cars etc so the street is always busy even though we are T4. It’s a shame when you can’t fully enjoy where you live ☹, wish there was a way to make it residents only lol (like it should be in a stay at home order) xxx
We live walking distance from a beauty spot but it's always rammed full of people who have driven there, car parks are full and people take to parking on the streets.It's annoying, to get away from people I then have to drive further afield which makes me then as bad as them.

Reactions: 2
We live walking distance from a beauty spot but it's always rammed full of people who have driven there, car parks are full and people take to parking on the streets.It's annoying, to get away from people I then have to drive further afield which makes me then as bad as them.
that’s so frustrating for you! I remember in lockdown 1 where they were like if the drive is longer than the exercise you shouldn’t be doing it and I feel like this is most likely the case for a lot of people in our local park / beauty spot as well. I moved here to enjoy it but it’s been tricky at best thus far hah

Reactions: 3
The numbers at the minute are horrific. I just wish we would have a 12 week strict lockdown (like April time) when absolutely everything closed, roads were really quiet, everyone worked from home rather than some offices letting people in (mine are currently leaving it up to us if we go in or WFH). Then a massive massive push on vaccinations in that 12 weeks. This whole wish washy lockdown tier system just isn't working!

Reactions: 24

Yel

Probably unpopular but the teaching unions are coming off as bad as the government with their binary schools must stay closed.

Every possible thing should be explored to make sure as many schools and year groups can receive education in schools.

It's not as simple as they must stay closed / remain open. Extra testing, distancing, protecting at risk teachers, ppe, staggering could all be used to try to give education to as many as possible while protecting people.

The teaching unions did the same last time and were hyperbolic with warning that thousands of teachers could die if they opened. I think it's missing some middle ground. Online classes are inferior to in person for many students.

Not easy for anyone and I'm thankful it's not my decision.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.