Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #72

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It is completely unacceptable that you have had a verbal warning for your MIL interrupting, when all you need is a better system of support from your management.
You have grounds to escalate this and the unacceptable division of workload to HR.
Not that this means much, but I am sending you a bucket load of love through the screen. Xx
Totally agree. I’ve driven myself into the ground supporting colleagues in all kinds of home situations over the past year, and when I think of the fights I’ve fought to get support for staff the way the OP been treated has made me furious - that is just so wrong and they should escalate this.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I see the NEU are holding an emergency meeting tomorrow regarding Monday's opening.
Is there a possibility of strike action does anyone think?

Link to Facebook post..

I hope so. I'll certainly strike. Needs must x

Reactions: 1
It'll be interesting to see what happens over the weekend to schools. Such a difficult situation. I can completely understand the importance of education, routine, social interaction, mental well being etc but can also completely sympathise with the teachers having real concerns. And the parents having concerns too. I wonder if anything will change for tier 4 areas today / tomorrow.

Also sending a virtual hug to everyone struggling. This situation is hard, whether it's had a major impact or lots of little impacts, the whole thing is so difficult. Life has changed enormously and what happens next still remains unpredictable. It's totally normal to be feeling crap or anxious or fed up. I think the vast majority of people are suffering from a mental health perspective. It's so sad. Try to do anything you can enjoy, even if it's just appreciating a cup of tea or having a long soak in the bath and talk on here as much as you need to. We're all in this together and it's good to talk x

• Heart
Reactions: 29
It'll be interesting to see what happens over the weekend to schools. Such a difficult situation. I can completely understand the importance of education, routine, social interaction, mental well being etc but can also completely sympathise with the teachers having real concerns. And the parents having concerns too. I wonder if anything will change for tier 4 areas today / tomorrow.

Also sending a virtual hug to everyone struggling. This situation is hard, whether it's had a major impact or lots of little impacts, the whole thing is so difficult. Life has changed enormously and what happens next still remains unpredictable. It's totally normal to be feeling crap or anxious or fed up. I think the vast majority of people are suffering from a mental health perspective. It's so sad. Try to do anything you can enjoy, even if it's just appreciating a cup of tea or having a long soak in the bath and talk on here as much as you need to. We're all in this together and it's good to talk x
This is such a lovely, sensible and touching post. I hope you are coping well during this horrible time. 💖

Is anyone else starting to feel claustrophobic being stuck indoors so much? I miss meeting up with my friends both during the day as well as going out for a relaxing chin wag over a meal. I also miss getting out of the house with OH driving to the coast and enjoying watching the dog run around carefree while we stroll on the beach. I don't ask for a lot, but oh how I want this way of living to end.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Totally agree. I’ve driven myself into the ground supporting colleagues in all kinds of home situations over the past year, and when I think of the fights I’ve fought to get support for staff the way the OP been treated has made me furious - that is just so wrong and they should escalate this.
Completely agree! I’m furious reading how OP has been treated!

Never ever forget: this is YOUR HOME, not their workplace. They have absolutely no right to reprimand you for a member of your household being in their house!!! 😡😡 If your MIL was walking into their meeting rooms on their office space, okay. However, your MIL clearly has care needs and you’re her carer. As your employer they should be offering you support. Absolutely livid for OP!

We have 2 managers (weird split team set up) and the first thing one of them said was never to apologise for not being on camera or if your children, family members, pets etc “interrupt” I apologised once for my cats jumping into frame and he stopped me mid sentence to highlight this is MY house and not my employers work space. He feels quite passionately about this. Which is amazing to have a boss like that. OP take this further, do not let it lie. Remember, if your company really can’t take you being interrupted they could offer you flexible hours, part or full furlough, changes to meeting times that work around your care duties etc.

This behaviour is sexism alive and well. Women hold most care responsibilities for vulnerable family members, women are expected to “do the childcare” and homeschooling when kids are off. I appreciate there will be examples of Dads being amazing. However, make no mistake, women still carry this burden and employers disciplining women this way is another form of sexist behaviour. Led by policy that benefits men. Again.

I am away to burn my bra 😂😳

• Heart
Reactions: 51
Completely agree! I’m furious reading how OP has been treated!

Never ever forget: this is YOUR HOME, not their workplace. They have absolutely no right to reprimand you for a member of your household being in their house!!! 😡😡 If your MIL was walking into their meeting rooms on their office space, okay. However, your MIL clearly has care needs and you’re her carer. As your employer they should be offering you support. Absolutely livid for OP!

We have 2 managers (weird split team set up) and the first thing one of them said was never to apologise for not being on camera or if your children, family members, pets etc “interrupt” I apologised once for my cats jumping into frame and he stopped me mid sentence to highlight this is MY house and not my employers work space. He feels quite passionately about this. Which is amazing to have a boss like that. OP take this further, do not let it lie. Remember, if your company really can’t take you being interrupted they could offer you flexible hours, part or full furlough, changes to meeting times that work around your care duties etc.

This behaviour is sexism alive and well. Women hold most care responsibilities for vulnerable family members, women are expected to “do the childcare” and homeschooling when kids are off. I appreciate there will be examples of Dads being amazing. However, make no mistake, women still carry this burden and employers disciplining women this way is another form of sexist behaviour. Led by policy that benefits men. Again.

I am away to burn my bra 😂😳
Couldn’t love this any more!!! Totally - you’re not working from home you’re working at home in a pandemic - this is different!

Reactions: 21
Sorry to hear so many of you are feeling down. I always feel a bit blue after Christmas, but I think this year it's even worse. I'm in London so was T4 at the last minute, and only planned to see my sister and her gf on Xmas day itself, but it was still something to look forward to, I love all the decorations etc.

I'm WFH, which i prefer, and I'm an introvert so not a big social animal, but I miss yoga classes, being able to potter around the shops and TRAVELLING etc. It's just incredibly boring.

ETA: i realise how incredibly lucky I am that boredom is my main complaint.

• Heart
Reactions: 15

Finally some realism. The government plan to give doses 3 months apart that there is no proof it works as it wasn't tried in trials. They also plan when doses are short to mix and match them but that idea wasn't tested in trials either. We still don't know if it can be spread even after a vaccine or how long the protect lasts.

Reactions: 7
In some cases it's "trying " to work from home
At the start of the pandemic I read somewhere that ’you’re not working from home, you’re at home, during a pandemic, trying to work’. It’s so true and it’s frustrating that people are forgetting that.

To be fair to my work, they have tried to help but decisions have been made from a very middle-class, managerial perspective with little thought for those who are in different situations - the experience of the pandemic for someone who owns their own home, has a garden, a home office and perhaps older or no kids will be very different from someone who’s in rented accommodation, or a flat or bedsit with little indoor or outdoor space. Or that of a single parent or carer (and I know it’s not binary and people could be any and all of those things but some people do have it harder - we’re in the same storm, but some people are in a super-yacht and others are in leaky dinghies). We’ve had policies like ‘buy your own equipment and claim the cost back’, which is fine for some but assumes access to spare cash or credit, which not everyone has. We’ve had managers getting frustrated with staff because they just aren’t understanding why people are ‘still’ struggling - yes, this has been going on a while but situations are changing all the time and someone who might have been ok last month might not be ok at all now. This whole situation has really highlighted to me how blinkered some people can be, and it’s frustrating.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
It's going to be interesting to see how the number of new cases change over the next week, as there will be different factors contributing to this.

Schools have been closed for the Xmas break - numbers should fall

Stricter restrictions imposed - numbers should fall

Some people now receiving the vaccine - not sure whether it's too early to make much of a difference yet

Family get togethers over Xmas - numbers could increase

Some people breaking the rules and partying - numbers could increase

The new variant spreading more quickly - numbers increase

Some people travelling abroad for Xmas breaks - numbers could increase

Reactions: 9
Omg I’m furious my mother in law has been in close contact with her sister who tested positive for covid yesterday.

Mother in law has still gone to work her shift in a local cafe! She think it’s fine because she’s working in the back?!

Is there anyway I can report her? I’m fuming she’s putting so many at risk

• Wow
Reactions: 28
Omg I’m furious my mother in law has been in close contact with her sister who tested positive for covid yesterday.

Mother in law has still gone to work her shift in a local cafe! She think it’s fine because she’s working in the back?!

I would report her to employee. She should be isolating!

Reactions: 5
It's going to be interesting to see how the number of new cases change over the next week, as there will be different factors contributing to this.

Some people now receiving the vaccine - not sure whether it's too early to make much of a difference yet

Theres so many variables.
I worry the odds are against

Mass travel. Xmas meet ups. Many breaking rules combined with more contagious virus.
Whys the next review 13th thats ages away.
Theres tier 3 areas now with higher cases or similar to tier 4.

Was anyone surprised the other day when speaker of the house in Parliament had a go at Jeremy hunt over his dress code working from home because he wasent wearing a tie?

Hugs you anyone who needs it.
Loved the Clarkson price theres being pessimistic and being a realist.
I'm not feeling at all pollyanna.
If I keep my expectations low I can't be disappointed.
I often feel like we can't sink any lower then theres schools reopening and mixing vaccines and I think wtf.
We should be panic mode number cases and deaths we have .
Nearly all other countries in lockdown.
What makes England and schools so special and immune to covid.

Reactions: 10
I am getting so irritated by people. My elderly grandparents do not get it and are going for dinner with some friends because 'its new years eve' and another friend who is high risk having recently gone through chemo is going to his partners because 'they have spent every new year together, and they didnt see each other at christmas'. It makes me literally want to scream - here i am doing my bit plodding on hoping to be able to see my boyfriend by April and so many people (including those who are more vulnerable) are just doing as they bloody please.
Both my parents have it , my dad felt ill last Monday then it was bearable for 4 days then he was so ill abs is now in hospital with covid strain 6 , pneumonia and liver and kidneys are not working properly, then the next day my mum had to go in hospital as she couldn’t walk or breath. It’s really is awful this virus . My mum went out twice 😫. They feel like absolute tit.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 25

Has her employer pushed her to come in? My MIL is a manager for a supermarket chain and said her store manager is asking colleagues to disregard any isolation messages via the app and to just delete it.

• Wow
Reactions: 19

The unis going back too. Exeter have said testing is available for any students who want it

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.