Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
To me, if you want to see your family that’s the risk you take. But you/your family should not then go to the supermarket, petrol station or any public place where you could infect others.

Put yourself at risk if you want but not others who have followed the rules.

Right guys, I am being pedantic, but the crux is this. Limiting contact with people - yes. But if Betty has her grandkids every Wednesday and Thursday so parents can go to work, what should stop her seeing them on a Saturday?
There is no reason she couldn’t see the kids, but not the parents. The parents shouldn’t be popping in for a coffee or chat. It’s a drop of only. It’s just about trying to remove the links.

Because where do you draw the line. Of well I see X at work so why can’t she come round and she lives her kids so they can come too. Oh and so can Y because we also work with them on a Tuesday, before you know it three households and 5 people (with kids cared for by another two household). There has to be a line and that the line that’s been drawn.

The more people stick to this the quicker it will be over. But as more people ignore the rules to suit their own desires the longer this will drag on.

• Heart
Reactions: 17

kev1974

VIP Member
This vaccine thing is moving far too quickly for my liking
I agree.

I'm going to selflessly put myself at the back of the queue for it. More than happy to wait a year or two for my dose, thanks. Happy to let others go in front.

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
It’s hardly a crime! The kids need to see their nan, it’s better in the long run for everyone!
My son is still seeing my parents, he’s 1 and these years are so precious.
In the current restrictions it actually is though, and this is exactly why it’s not working 😤

She’s a teacher, being exposed to lots of people and she could pass it on to her mum and equally her mum could pass it to her and she could then pass it to the kids at school. We are trying to break this link and if people keep seeing others it’s not going to happen!

My kids see their grandparents. It’s the only way I can go to work.

if I used nursery full time, it would cost me £1847 per child who isn’t in school. Not doable for us seeing as we have to pay to keep a roof over our heads
That’s for childcare and perfectly ok, this was for a social call. Not okay under the current lockdown. What are people not getting about this?!

• Heart

Platypusfattypus

VIP Member
Whether you think its right or not, that is the guidance. They have to draw a line somewhere.

It's shit. My children see their nan for childcare but we can't see them or meet up for a coffee etc, it's drop off only. My husband hasn't seen his dad in ages because he's not part of our bubble as we need childcare to help us work. He's going to his grandads this weekend but staying outside and talking through a window. He's balancing potentially the risk of not seeing his grandad again (he's 98) or being the one who kills him. I can't see my sister or my best friend unless we go for a walk outside which isn't always possible at this time of year. They are my biggest supports in terms of mental health (which is getting wobbly again because numbers are soaring in the hospital I work in) but I follow the guidance because I don't want this virus to spread anymore. Absolutely everyone will have a reason why they should see someone and if we all decided that our needs were greater then anyone else's then spread would be even higher. So if you want to be that person who feels the rules don't apply to them then yes you are going to get people angry and frustrated calling you selfish.

• Heart
Reactions: 16

Ohflogoff

VIP Member
If people are that desperate to see their relatives at Xmas, they should be responsible for doing a total lockdown on themselves for two weeks prior.

Platypusfattypus

VIP Member
Yeah I didn't sign up to die from an infectious disease. That was most definately not in the job description, I triple checked 😄 not directing that at anyone by the way.

Though it does wind me up when people say that as if it's not a tragedy people have died doing their job. Especially as a result of the fact they don't have the correct equipment, I remeber some army soldiers dying because the vehicle they were driving in wasn't properly equipped to deal with landmines or some thin and someone saying that was what they signed up for. Probably from the comfort of his armchair after getting home from his safe little job.

Have decided to go for a walk with my sister today as the weather is nice. Its our dad's anniversary of his death, but I can't take her to the cemetery as I normally would as we need to drive. We are both having shit days already. Its going to break me not to hug her.

• Heart
  • Sad

Happy35

I am sick of lockdown this time and have found not seeing my friends and family really hard, I know I can meet 1 outside but weather has been terrible in the NE.
I personally don’t think the meeting up at Christmas is worth the infection risk for family members, it is only 1 day but could infect so many people. We keep hearing about protecting the NHS from being overwhelmed surely this is the biggest chance of them by overwhelmed. We will inadvertently infect our family at Christmas then take any infections into work a few days later. I know I sound bah humbug but am sick of these mixed messages.

Tyla73

VIP Member
I know it's just all speculation at this point but I've just read that under these tighter tier rules areas in tier 3 won't be allowed to have hair and beauty places open!
I am so sick of this shit. Apart from anything, it just wreaks of sexism. Women are the primary owners and users of hair and beauty services. You can bet your life if they were businesses mainly used by men they would be open. If they keep them closed they’d better not open the f-ing pubs. There will absolutely no justification for it whatsoever.

fireflies

VIP Member
Honestly I hate petitions like this. It reminds me of Sunday working hours in NI to keep Sundays "family days" and "god's day".

If you don't want to go to a shop on a bank holiday then don't, it isn't forced on you just because they are open.

I'm sure after being closed for a huge portion of the year business owners don't want their opening times dictated to even further.
I guess you don't work in retail.
Next staff having get up 3am or 4am for boxing day sale spoils their Xmas day.
My husband its compulsory work boxing day and I hate it
It leaves very little break with family.
He also has work new years eve .

Platypusfattypus

VIP Member
Angry face all you like! I have many friends and family that actually work in supermarkets and have been abused by parents wanting to use vouchers for their hungry kids on cigarettes n alcohol on a regular basis! Then when they can’t do that they fill their baskets with junk! I’m all for feeding children but it’s their parents that need educating! Vouchers should of been only for healthy nutritious foods! No point feeding these kids with even more crap. How have we got one of the world highest child obesity problems and yet children are starving🤔 Education is needed bring back Home Economics and teach people how to live healthier on a budget. People in furlough that have worked all their lives are now on less income yet people on benefits who have,and never have any interest to work are on more money than they have had not fare at all to me ! 😡😡😡😡
So they are all at macdonalds then? Do they accept the vouchers at macdonalds or were you trying to make a bit of a odd point?

Yes there are people who abuse all the systems but I don't personally see the point in letting their children go hungry as a result 🤷‍♀️

• Heart

Meh

Chatty Member
I disagree. How many NHS back office employees work such long hours, or up front dealing face to face with Covid patients? Most back office staff will arrive in work on time and can't wait to go home when their hours have finished. I don't know of any who would work double shifts, or try to sleep in a bed in a room at the end of a ward because they were on call; or who would need to shower and change clothes because a patient had spewed over them, or similar.

Yes, back office staff are essential, but their part in the scheme of current events is just that, back office support who stay clear of patients at the moment, as much as possible.

I believe our front line staff, including paramedics, are doing a sterling job and deserve every penny they earn, plus some.
I agree the frontline NHS staff are doing a fantastic job and deserve every penny they earn.

However, I don’t support the segregation of front line NHS not being impacted by pay freeze yet back office NHS may be impacted. How is that fair? Back office NHS have still worked throughout this pandemic and hard at that. Who do you think sorts the ICU bed Shortages? Who manages all the logistics and scheduling of other non covid emergency patient procedures? Who is it who ensures they have enough front line NHs staff on rotation? Do you think it was paramedics, nurses or doctors who are dealing with the sourcing of PPE and life saving drugs / ventilators? No. This was all teams of back office staff. Working very hard and under pressure.

This is NOT a disparagement of the front line staff but the NHS cannot run without the front line OR the back office staff. Both essential, both deserve to be paid well/protected from pay freezes.

As do all other public sector workers who are equally at risk through their roles.

• Heart

Mardyarse

I know some people are annoyed/upset with the fact that households can mix over Christmas, but as selfish as it sounds I’m beyond happy. My mental health has been shocking this year and I’ve really struggled, to the point I didn’t think I’d see the year out, my sister also moved to Scotland in February and she’s really struggling aswell as hasn’t seen us all in so long...this news has honestly given Me such a boost as something to look forward to and a sense of normality. Hopefully people will not take the piss and stick to the rules but I’m so glad they’ve allowed this

• Heart
Reactions: 15

Meangirl815

VIP Member
I've woke up today feeling very doom and gloom. Yesterday seemed to be very positive and i was swept along with it.

Today I'm like meh can it really be that simple.

Argh I'm so fucking sick of it all. The funniest part is i actually have no life, no friends, no social life to speak off so lockdown makes zero difference to me really.

Today I'm cuddling up with my youngest (he's home self isolating due to positive case in his class) watching Xmas films and banning all talk/mention/thoughts of sodding covid

• Heart

Thank(space)you

VIP Member
My friend works in the big Tesco in our town and keeps moaning about people buying non essential Christmas stuff.

I've not been in any shops because shielding, but I told her I do kinda get it. People want to try to lift their spirits and decorating for Christmas is one of few freedoms people have left presently

Peartree

Waiting for my lunch to cook and scrolling through Instagram, I’m really pee’d of and annoyed at all these ’influencers’ either on holiday or ignoring lockdown rules. These people sadly are role models for many young people, it’s no wonder lots of others are breaking rules. I’ve unfollowed a lot of people today 😡

• Sad

Platypusfattypus

VIP Member
4 households is too small for my normal xmas gathering. Not sure what to do. It would break my children's heart not to be with their family.
It's breaking a lot of children's hearts, everyone will have the same limitations. We just have to make the best of the situation. We've told our kids that it's going to be a very different Christmas but we are still looking forward to it.