Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Saddlesoap

VIP Member
Gosh I feel lucky that it's not a debate in our family.

We (parents and siblings) are all having our own Christmas' at home. We are going to have a Christmas Zoom quiz. If we are allowed some of us will go for a walk on Boxing Day or Christmas Eve (weather dependent).

Honestly I'm not fussed, it's one year. And before people jump on me and say it might be a 'last Christmas' for someone. That's true of all of us all the time. Tomorrow is never guaranteed.
My husband was supposed to be dead in 2011 and 2013 (if you listen to his doctors) he's still here.

• Heart
Reactions: 20

idk2

VIP Member
And here we have it straight with the usual ignorant and uneducated crap! I myself have had to use the benefit system where my kids where younger. I know it is not the free ride some think it is! But I also know it is doable to feed your children well. Knowing that your main outgoing of rent is mostly covered. And knowing g that the money will be in your account regardless of wether you get out of bed that day. Once I regained employment it was sooo much harder and I had so much more respect for the money I earned! And also new that every day I had to get out of bed wether I I was sick tired or depressed or else I would not be paid! I have many many friends and family on benefits some are wanting to work many are quite happy and thoroughly enjoying the extra money and no it isn’t being spent for what it was meant to be FEEDING their children! So whilst you clearly I do not like my opinion I can assure you it is one held by many! And also I am very much entitled to it without being told I’m thick and ignorant! Is it fair that people working there socks off can’t even think about taking their kids to McDonald’s as a treat or have had zero extra help with money during this only has their money cut through no fault of their own! As I said my opinion I am still allowed an opinion in this world am I not?
You can have an opinion but no one said it has to be the right one. Everyone has differing views but its the way your tone is in your replies that is the getting alot of backlash. You are claiming you are right because you've seen it, well I've seen the opposite. I've seen people on furlough living life to the max, going on cheap holidays while on 80% pay having an absolute field day then kicking off when their companies want them back to work claiming its too unsafe in the office. Bare in mind, a few had just come back from Greece at the time of 2 week isolation. Do I think all on furlough were living large and having the time of their lives? No. We are a population of billions and we CANNOT generalise a whole body of people. You do come across ignorant and uneducated if youre basing your opinion of only 'people you know' - you can expand your mind beyond this and realise the importance of ANY food for starving child is FOOD. You can buy a huge oven baked pizza for £1 in many supermarkets, people who are strapped for cash will clearly go for this rather than buying tons of 'healthier options' which usually come with a healthier price tag. Get off your high horse.

• Heart

jazyblu

Chatty Member
And here we have it straight with the usual ignorant and uneducated crap! I myself have had to use the benefit system where my kids where younger. I know it is not the free ride some think it is! But I also know it is doable to feed your children well. Knowing that your main outgoing of rent is mostly covered. And knowing g that the money will be in your account regardless of wether you get out of bed that day. Once I regained employment it was sooo much harder and I had so much more respect for the money I earned! And also new that every day I had to get out of bed wether I I was sick tired or depressed or else I would not be paid! I have many many friends and family on benefits some are wanting to work many are quite happy and thoroughly enjoying the extra money and no it isn’t being spent for what it was meant to be FEEDING their children! So whilst you clearly I do not like my opinion I can assure you it is one held by many! And also I am very much entitled to it without being told I’m thick and ignorant! Is it fair that people working there socks off can’t even think about taking their kids to McDonald’s as a treat or have had zero extra help with money during this only has their money cut through no fault of their own! As I said my opinion I am still allowed an opinion in this world am I not?
What has this got to do with anything?
It isn't the fault of people who receive free school meal vouchers that covid happened and other people had their income reduced??
No one here understands why you are even ranting about this in the first place?? You're jumping from your friends being abused by people on benefits, to mcdonalds being rammed full of kids apparently because their parents can't afford to feed them and then how you feel so much better about yourself for working rather than needing benefits? Like what?
You brought this up from nowhere on a covid thread.

Renegadedancer

VIP Member
@SarahGard83 wonderful news ! Tried to quote your post but the thread was full. You’ve really been through it, you deserve a break and I’m chuffed your news is so positive. Socially Distanced hugs all round

• Heart
Reactions: 19

JLXRD

VIP Member
Never considered people working in shops judging what you’re buying this time around.

Bet they judge me hard as my weekly shop probably just looks like non essentials ... Trolley full of Doritos, Christmas chocolate, pizza and cans of Diet Coke 😂

• Haha

Ohflogoff

VIP Member
That’s for childcare and perfectly ok, this was for a social call. Not okay under the current lockdown. What are people not getting about this?!
I totally get what you’re saying.

The bigger picture is this - not a direct question. why can my parents look after my children, to keep the economy going, while being at risk, but for social they can’t? The virus doesn’t know the difference.

• Heart

prinnygrace

VIP Member
Honestly I hate petitions like this. It reminds me of Sunday working hours in NI to keep Sundays "family days" and "god's day".

If you don't want to go to a shop on a bank holiday then don't, it isn't forced on you just because they are open.

I'm sure after being closed for a huge portion of the year business owners don't want their opening times dictated to even further.
It’s more for the poor workers who don’t get a say. Working in retail on Boxing Day is absolute hell on earth. They deserve a break more than ever this year, there is no need for them to deal with Boxing Day crowds.. people can wait one more day and let them have an extra day with their families after working so hard this year. There is no need for shops to be open on bank holidays really.

Tots

VIP Member
@JoeBloggs is completely right!
Those of you still seeing your parents socially, unless you’re in a childcare bubble or support bubble it is not allowed at the moment. It’s hard for all of us but it’s especially harder for those of us who are abiding by the rules because the people who are selfishly carrying on regardless are making this drag on even longer (and let’s face it, it doesn’t affect them if they’re doing their own thing whereas it prolongs the difficulties for those of us separated from our loved ones because we’re doing the right thing!). I’ve been separated from my partner for the last 2 weeks so I could bubble up with my dad and give him support. My son is now isolating from school due to a case in his school bubble so now my dad’s on his own again and I’m on my own with my son.we’re doing the right thing so I can hold my head up high!

Right guys, I am being pedantic, but the crux is this. Limiting contact with people - yes. But if Betty has her grandkids every Wednesday and Thursday so parents can go to work, what should stop her seeing them on a Saturday?

Because it’s an extra, and in this case unnecessary, risk.....it’s how it’s spread. You know that really so don’t be pedantic.

• Heart
  • Haha

OatMatchaLatte

VIP Member
Easing restrictions for Christmas makes a mockery of the whole thing. Either lockdown and stay locked down, or don't bloody lockdown.

Reactions: 18

Platypusfattypus

VIP Member
I have plenty of immediate family who don't work in retail and still work 2 of Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day every year. I'm well aware these are normal working days for many people up and down the country. Its shit but it isn't the end of the world. The health service, police and fire service can't close.
I am nhs and work over Christmas. But I agree retail shouldn't be open on boxing day. If I don't go to work, there could be serious consequences. If next doesn't open for one day people would just have to wait an extra day for their cheap top.

Ohflogoff

VIP Member
I like to try and see both sides of the argument. I’d like to think most of you know I’m a compliant pleb, was playing devils advocate and hypothesising to see other sides of the story. It’s not so black and white.
This virus isn’t going to go away. There’s so much victim blaming it’s ridiculous. If Jayne is suffering poor mental health and wants to see her mum, then I think this is perfectly acceptable.

JLXRD

VIP Member
I’m very grateful for being allowed to see people over Christmas, but this is going to cause the mother of all arguments 😬

I have already had a message last month from my mother telling me I am selfish for saying I would see her Christmas Eve instead of Xmas day. (If it had been allowed)

Bracing myself for the onslaught of abuse when I say I won’t be able to do that if I’m to spend Xmas day with SIL (1 household) and MIL (another household).

Technically she is inviting my brother and Nan to hers so I really can’t go there anyway as that’s 3 households already, but she’s probs going to say I’m using it to my advantage or something.

Bet lots of people are going to have some awkward and horrible family arguments with these rules sadly 😩

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 17

monga

VIP Member
Angry face all you like! I have many friends and family that actually work in supermarkets and have been abused by parents wanting to use vouchers for their hungry kids on cigarettes n alcohol on a regular basis! Then when they can’t do that they fill their baskets with junk! I’m all for feeding children but it’s their parents that need educating! Vouchers should of been only for healthy nutritious foods! No point feeding these kids with even more crap. How have we got one of the world highest child obesity problems and yet children are starving🤔 Education is needed bring back Home Economics and teach people how to live healthier on a budget. People in furlough that have worked all their lives are now on less income yet people on benefits who have,and never have any interest to work are on more money than they have had not fare at all to me ! 😡😡😡😡
What has McDonalds got to do with that 🤷 £2.99 never reared anyone.. if you think a child from a less privileged background deserves any less in life it speaks volumes about you and not "these kids" or their parents.

• Heart

Web30

VIP Member
So definitely 4 households can mix for Xmas!!! I’m actually not sure I want to?!?!
Oh bugger. We have invited my husband's mum and grandma for Christmas dinner, I was hoping this wouldn't be allowed 🙈 am I terrible?

• Haha

kev1974

VIP Member
So the latest phe surveillance report shows supermarket's and secondary school biggest cause of spread.
Lidls had quieing system earlier but inside but free for all inside

nah that's just more bullshit and either deliberate or simply inept interpretation of the figures they've gathered, which will lead to more panic. :rolleyes:

It says they asked where covid-positive people had been in recent days before they were tested, well of course a lot of people are going to say they had spent some time in a supermarket, most people need to cook and eat after all. Their results don't appear to have paid any attention to whether people spent 30 minutes there or all day (as in at work), and how many other places they also went.

Just because a lot of people visited supermarkets as one of the places they visited over the course of the several days of movements they were asked about, doesn't mean that's where they caught the covid, especially if they were only there for a short time?

If there was any heightened risk in supermarkets then the staff would surely be dropping like flies all over the country - they wear the same mostly low quality masks as the shoppers do, and they touch all the same products and surfaces, and breathe the same air; in fact spend all day doing it? I've been working part time for two different major supermarkets in my city now during the two lockdowns and sod all people working in either of them have had any covid. I'm sure there are cases here and there around the country but no huge scary numbers of them.

Meh

Chatty Member
It's reported that only NHS frontline won't be capped.

Such a tricky situation as many in society have had an awful overloaded year whereas others have had a good time being paid to stay at home. There has to be some balance with private sector pay inflation but I don't envy the job.

The all NHS staff hero worshipping does get a bit silly when so many do a backoffice role and are paid market rates but get things like a 10% discount at Morrisons.
I don’t really see why NHS front line vs back office is different?

The frontline of any organisation cannot function without the back office work of support, corporate or enabling teams. It’s great for us to worship nurses and doctors but without NhS procurement, finance, payroll, patient services, logistics, laboratory staff etc. the entire effort against covid would have collapsed. These people are all back office workers, surely they are important. It would be the same as if no. doctors/nurses/porters/auxiliaries etc were on shift. It would all fall apart. Both areas compliment each other and are essential. So if both are working through Covid... why wouldn’t they both get the discounts offered?

IMO the NHS discounts from retailers was crass bandwagon jumping anyway.

I 100% support NhS and all they do but I am fed up of the hero worship of certain roles in NHS and that’s it. I do think lots of public sector face being shafted after a very difficult year.

It’s not an easy task to balance books but raiding the public sector, sadly, is a Tory policy default position.

• Heart

Web30

VIP Member
It's not worth it, as crappy as it is the 5 days off is stupid imo. I wouldn't take the risk especially with older relatives, who wants to pass covid to grandma just to see her at dinner 🙄🙈

• Heart