Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #57

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Funny how it all hit the roof again a month after schools went back... it's almost like the two might be related...

Reactions: 14
We were told we’d flattened the curve, but I’ve always been told/aware that the second wave would come there’s never been any doubt, and that it’d likely hit when the NHS has its usual winter pressures
maybe it’s where you live but things have certainly not been under control where I live. I haven't seen my friends since March. My parents came round to my garden once

Wow 😮
I’m in the south east of England and frankly we’ve had hardly any cases and come July we were encourage to go back to normal. It was a big shock to us when London where expected to go back into Lockdown. I only know of (no personally) of two people who have caught it, both were end of life and died. It’s been normal life here for months and we’re we’re encouraged that the curve was flat, the 2nd wave was a rumour and we were on top of it. Even now, people here are very causal. I do live quite rurally so maybe that’s why.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
It’s pretty interesting how differently each country has handled this. We’ve been told we won’t go back to normal until there’s a vaccine.

I didn’t realise people weren’t aware that a second wave was coming. I assumed people knew but just preferred to ignore it.

Reactions: 7
I’m in the south east of England and frankly we’ve had hardly any cases and come July we were encourage to go back to normal. It was a big shock to us when London where expected to go back into London. I only know of (no personally) of two people who have caught it, both were end of life and died. It’s been normal life here for months and we’re we’re encouraged that the curve was flat, the 2nd wave was a rumour and we were on top of it. Even now, people here are very causal. I do live quite rurally so maybe that’s why.
Normal with all the mitigations to try and suppress the virus though, surely? It wasn't like you were told to get rid of washing hands, masks and social distancing etc.

Normal with all the mitigations to try and suppress the virus though, surely? It wasn't like you were told to get rid of washing hands, masks and social distancing etc.
Yes but a lot of people down here are not following it. They are more concerned with the covid cycle lanes. Only about 60-70% of people wear masks, a lot don’t social distance and lot had visitors regardless of the regulations.

Ah, the most common “anti” argument on twitter makes its way here 😐 again
I’m not anti at all! I was just wondering if we had the information if you read the end of my post, as I myself work in the nhs and don’t seem to really understand so god knows what everyone else must be thinking 😅

They're saying on the news this morning they want all four nations to have the same rules at Christmas. Not sure how they think that's feasible given that all four countries have different systems at the moment, and even within the countries different areas are under different restrictions.

Reactions: 5
Whether the politicians gave any weight to it or not, at the daily briefings and on news interviews epidemiologists, Vallance, Whitty did talk about the second wave coming and being worse than the first. They talked about it as early as May when cases started going down. Comparisons to the Spanish flu were always there so no one should be surprised.

I think people were aware it was coming, there was just had a bubble during the summer where cases were low.

I’m wondering which city is going on tier 3 next. I saw Bristol has growing cases so maybe there...

Reactions: 9
I’m not anti at all! I was just wondering if we had the information if you read the end of my post, as I myself work in the nhs and don’t seem to really understand so god knows what everyone else must be thinking 😅
I have been wondering the same thing and (get my tin foil hat maybe for this one) I have been wondering how accurate the tests really are. My friend whos still in wales told me that apparently some of his friends had sent their tests back without actually taking them (so completely clean swab) but still receiving a positive result.

(To add: I know his friends as i went to school with them and I trust him anyway but it is something they would do but then it could be something that they've lied about to try and be funny 🤷‍♀️)

Funny how it all hit the roof again a month after schools went back... it's almost like the two might be related...
It was expected though. They have always told us that children spread the virus, many not showing having any signs of it, and could not see their grandparents during the first wave in case they passed it on.

They're saying on the news this morning they want all four nations to have the same rules at Christmas. Not sure how they think that's feasible given that all four countries have different systems at the moment, and even within the countries different areas are under different restrictions.
It would certainly help reduce confusion, but then again each country would defend its position by saying "We're doing the right thing because we don't trust you and your flaky science!"

We always knew there would be a second wave, and we know there will be a third and possibly a fourth over the next 12 months. It just seems that most countries are not sure how to be proactive rather than reactive all the time. And then you have the inevitable "covid fatigue" that will sap the will of anyone sick and tired of hearing new rules supercede old ones with no end in sight.

And Boris has to balance the health of the nation with the health of the economy - not an easy task, as other world leaders are witnessing.

Reactions: 6
It would certainly help reduce confusion, but then again each country would defend its position by saying "We're doing the right thing because we don't trust you and your flaky science!"

We always knew there would be a second wave, and we know there will be a third and possibly a fourth over the next 12 months. It just seems that most countries are not sure how to be proactive rather than reactive all the time. And then you have the inevitable "covid fatigue" that will sap the will of anyone sick and tired of hearing new rules supercede old ones with no end in sight.

And Boris has to balance the health of the nation with the health of the economy - not an easy task, as other world leaders are witnessing.
Excellent post. Very true.

It would be a huge help to everyone if the selfish potheads would stop meeting up spreading the virus, and just stick to the rules. I think the problem is due to the rules at the beginning were only guidelines, but now they've made them law.

In Scotland the schools went back mid August. I was going on holiday to Blackpool (mum's choice) on 24 August. I had a few work colleagues making snidey comments about how high their rate was and how they wouldn't be going. Any way off we went.

We came back on 31 August. On 1 September, Glasgow got put into a local lockdown - can't mix with other households etc. This was 3 weeks after the schools went back!!!

Strange!!!

Reactions: 2
I have been wondering the same thing and (get my tin foil hat maybe for this one) I have been wondering how accurate the tests really are. My friend whos still in wales told me that apparently some of his friends had sent their tests back without actually taking them (so completely clean swab) but still receiving a positive result.

(To add: I know his friends as i went to school with them and I trust him anyway but it is something they would do but then it could be something that they've lied about to try and be funny 🤷‍♀️)
Honestly the sort of person who could lie to get a test, then send it back without using it is the exact sort of person so also like and make up a story that it came back positive for attention.

Reactions: 10
Wtf is going on in Europe? We knew there would be a second wave because it happens in every pandemic. The Spanish Flu second wave was worse than the first. People in Europe (France especially) went on holiday and partied in the summer. All my friends in France were traveling and posting holiday photos on Instagram. What did they expect!?

I'm in Australia and haven't socialized since March. And we have zero cases where I am now.

I don't get it. Do they think it's a conspiracy? Or have they just given up?
How are Aus managing the economic fallout? Genuine question, a lot of the way in which Europe has handled the pandemic is due to needing to balance the economy as well as health. Which is why we were all actively encouraged to go out to eat/drink in the summer and things opened back up.

I get their doing it as safely as possible but way to alienate A LOT of people.

I was a bit saddened by the party too. They said everyone was tested beforehand so therefore it was ‘fine’ to have this huge party but do they not recognise their privilege here in that because they can pay for these tests they can live their lives normally?

I get it was her 40th but lots of people turned 40 this year and had to deal with no having their usual celebrations.

I felt for all those watching who had planned and cancelled a wedding this year as they don’t have the kardashian mega bucks to just make it happen anyway. Not to mention them all flying round in their private jets whilst the rest of us can’t go abroad without worrying about catching it 😬

it really brings home the whole we are in the same storm but not the same boat thing.
What really boils my piss is that my Mother Turned 90 on the same day, my Brother and I couldn't organise anything for my Mother.
However a good friend of my Mother sent a birthday balloon and a nice birthday cake and she had plenty of birthday cards, she was
happy with what she had.

Reactions: 3

If that was true they could easily take it to the papers and make money from it, don't really understand their reasons for doing it otherwise, it's hardly a big laugh between mates. There would be massive media attenion and public outcry.

I think because the first wave wasn't as bad as "predicted" because of the lock down people don't believe the science anymore either

I think because the first wave wasn't as bad as "predicted" because of the lock down people don't believe the science anymore either
Then there's the question of the integrity of the so-called science experts? SAGE experts are not exactly shining beacons of knowledge and reassurance; moreover other experts quite often publicly disagree with SAGE recommendations. So when you have a scenario where eminent scientists cannot collectively agree a right course of action then why would the general public be inclined to listen-to/believe-in them?

I am constantly reminded of Chaos Theory/Butterfly Effect

I always thought there would be a second wave. It was apparent very early on that despite receiving what I can only presume is good quality scientific advice, HMG doesn’t have a bleeping clue how to deal with this catastrophe, or doesn’t have the will. Test and Trace and border measures being two examples.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.