Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #45

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
They are saying no as they keep on parroting the Public Health England message of not recommending face coverings in school. Personally, I think that many senior members of the education department of the local authority are wankpuffins, and have been lacking in support generally since March. I wouldn’t be surprised if my Head tells them where to put their ‘guidance’.... and as the sole carer for my 91 years young Dad, I’m trying my best to keep him germ free. My other half is a secondary teacher, and his school isn’t allowing face coverings either. TBH, we’ve all just tried to be as safe as we can, even if our two 16 year old twin sons are a little bit soap dodgerish!
I think it's because the govt don't want to have to pay for face coverings for school staff. I just wish theyd allow it. I'd happy pay for my own to.protect my health. It really is disgusting. They'll be even more teachers leaving the profession and we need to hold on to the good ones we've already got x

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Has anyone on here caught Covid? Not know someone but actually caught it themselves?

I read somewhere (news article but can’t remember what outlet) that they estimate 10% of the population in the UK has had Covid. I think this was based on the random population testing for antibodies they are now doing. I know quite a few more than 10 people.. but don’t know anyone who has had it, or have been made aware they have at a later date. There must be a lot more asymptomatic cases than estimated in the earlier days is what I’m thinking this might be down to 🤷🏼‍♀️.

I personally am very cautious about who I see where I go and follow all the guidelines (plus a lot of my own personal ones!) So my post is in no way attempting to downplay the potential severity of the virus. I appreciate it could read that way so thought I would clarify!

Reactions: 5
Has anyone on here caught Covid? Not know someone but actually caught it themselves?

I read somewhere (news article but can’t remember what outlet) that they estimate 10% of the population in the UK has had Covid. I think this was based on the random population testing for antibodies they are now doing. I know quite a few more than 10 people.. but don’t know anyone who has had it, or have been made aware they have at a later date. There must be a lot more asymptomatic cases than estimated in the earlier days is what I’m thinking this might be down to 🤷🏼‍♀️.

I personally am very cautious about who I see where I go and follow all the guidelines (plus a lot of my own personal ones!) So my post is in no way attempting to downplay the potential severity of the virus. I appreciate it could read that way so thought I would clarify!
We know a lot more people over 65 then people of our age group (we are in our 20s). The only one person we know was a sister of a friend, and she died from it. She was in her 80s, in a wheelchair, had diabetes, arthritis, heart issues, various other health issues.
We are in Devon, and we got into the news back in February when there was an outbreak in a grammar school after half-term. Overall here we had about 1200 cases and about 200 deaths with a population of 1.1 million.

One of the grandparents from school are 90% sure they had it in March, they couldn't get tested at the time. Both of them are still struggling now with engery levels. We are in Devon but her husband works in London.

• Sad
Reactions: 1

I’m not sure if this counts as not me, but immediate family. My dad (-65, no health conditions) spent 10 weeks in ICU due to Covid.

• Sad

I am 99% sure myself and my husband had it in March/April but since we are not NHS it's hard to get an antibody test (they weren't testing for Covid at the time like they are now, NHS 111 said if you can cope at home hang up).

High fever, lost any sense of smell or taste for a couple of weeks. This was about a week, week and a half after a definite exposure to the virus.

Reactions: 2

No positive test, but I have tested positive for antibodies

I’m not sure if this counts as not me, but immediate family. My dad (-65, no health conditions) spent 10 weeks in ICU due to Covid.
I really hope he is doing well now.

I am 99% sure myself and my husband had it in March/April but since we are not NHS it's hard to get an antibody test (they weren't testing for Covid at the time like they are now, NHS 111 said if you can cope at home hang up).

High fever, lost any sense of smell or taste for a couple of weeks. This was about a week, week and a half after a definite exposure to the virus.
If you don’t mind me asking, do you both feel fully recovered now?

Not me personally but a Teaching Assistant who works at school that mine is linked with was diagnosed with it and died and my FiL has been diagnosed as well. He was admitted into hospital with and is now fine. It has, however, damaged his lungs which is evident in regular chest xrays that he now has to have.

• Sad
Reactions: 3

I have not had it but the city I live in is doing asymptomatic testing and I had it done... of the thousands of asymptomatic tests done, only 0.2% or something came back positive.

@Buzzbee Might be remebering wrong but you had Covid right? Confirmed with a test etc?

Thanks for the reply’s. It helps me figure out the numbers I’m reading about and reason things out hearing of actual people’s experiences. I looked up the ONS studies. They estimate from their current antibody testing that 1 in 16 people in England have had Covid-19. So less than the 10% I was quoting previously.

I’m just surprised living in London not having been personally affected (grateful of course). I only know of people that know people that have suffered. I know a few that also think they might have had it, although one had antibody testing and it was shown he probably did not have it (although I’m sure there is an small error margin).

Thanks for the reply’s. It helps me figure out the numbers I’m reading about and reason things out hearing of actual people’s experiences. I looked up the ONS studies. They estimate from their current antibody testing that 1 in 16 people in England have had Covid-19. So less than the 10% I was quoting previously.

I’m just surprised living in London not having been personally affected (grateful of course). I only know of people that know people that have suffered. I know a few that also think they might have had it, although one had antibody testing and it was shown he probably did not have it (although I’m sure there is an small error margin).
I think @Northeast1988 said the antibody tests are a joke ,she's a nurse so could explain her reasons why ..

@Buzzbee Might be remebering wrong but you had Covid right? Confirmed with a test etc?
Yes, I tested positive back in April. I work in a care home, most likely caught it there as I wouldn’t really leave home except to go to work. We had a lot of cases and sadly, a lot of deaths.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I saw earlier a woman has returned from a holiday in France early to beat the quarantine law .But her husband and daughters were left behind because they couldn't get tickets, now she's worried if her daughters have to isolate they'll miss school ...are kids exempt from isolating ?

I did the antibody test from imperial college a few weeks ago. It’s a blood test and a questionnaire. You basically prick your finger onto something like a pregnancy test thing, add some solution and wait for the result. You then photograph the result and send it off. Mine was negative.
wish they'd send me one! i filled out the symptom tracker for them when i was ill !

I am in Scotland, still feeling anxious about them going to school. We are not shielding and we’re also in an area where cases are relatively low (1 positive case in our council area in the last 7 days) but I just think the way they have handled this return is recipe for disaster.

I have one at primary and one returned to secondary (S2) this morning. I don’t understand the reasoning behind them following FACTS everywhere except in schools, it’s well known schools are a massive breeding ground for germs and we’ve had it drummed into us for months on end to distance distance distance! It’s all well and good them saying they’re employ enhanced hygiene procedures but if a child is asymptomatic and coughs/sneezes no amount of hand washing is going to stop those droplets flying through the air. They then run the risk of bringing it back home to families and grandparents.

In the government guidance it clearly states that transmissions between older children is “less clear” yet they have disregarded that in exchange for getting a full capacity return to school. It even goes on to say “Importantly, schools should ensure that the specific approaches adopted do not introduce capacity constraints and/or prevent a return to full-time learning in school”. So having a full time return was more important to them than following the proven guidance to keep us safe.

I appreciate that the blended learning approach wasn’t ideal for months on end but surely a period of easing the kids in, and keeping an eye on any rising of cases, would have been preferable instead of this jumping in feet first and dealing with the consequences later?
Yep, Agree, I’m watching everything really closely and ready to pull them out. The schools my kids attend made all these promises then backtracked on the actually day. Disgusting,

• Sad
Reactions: 4
anyone been to the cinema lately?
Going today to see the Elvis Presley film.

It's an odeon lux so they're already small cinemas and with social distancing they'll be lucky if there's 20 people in the screen!!!

I'm not particularly worried.

As far as I'm concerned, you've got 2 choices,

You can try and live your life as best and safe as you can,
Or
You can hide under your duvet for the rest of your life.

I know which I'm trying to do.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.