Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #45

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Scottish mums, are you still feeling ok about sending your kids to school. My kids schools only do hand sanitizer, that’s it, no social distancing. There’s 18 year old adults in the schools ffs. Also my region was named as a corona hotspot, seriously thinking of pulling them out. Only drawback I don’t feel comfortable homeschooling a 5, 11 and 15 year old all at different education levels. 😕. We’re a shielding house, so I’m very hesitant, they’ve been back two days so far and both oldest said they felt unsafe.. like bottlenecking in doorways, breathing in peoples faces etc.
I am in Scotland, still feeling anxious about them going to school. We are not shielding and we’re also in an area where cases are relatively low (1 positive case in our council area in the last 7 days) but I just think the way they have handled this return is recipe for disaster.

I have one at primary and one returned to secondary (S2) this morning. I don’t understand the reasoning behind them following FACTS everywhere except in schools, it’s well known schools are a massive breeding ground for germs and we’ve had it drummed into us for months on end to distance distance distance! It’s all well and good them saying they’re employ enhanced hygiene procedures but if a child is asymptomatic and coughs/sneezes no amount of hand washing is going to stop those droplets flying through the air. They then run the risk of bringing it back home to families and grandparents.

In the government guidance it clearly states that transmissions between older children is “less clear” yet they have disregarded that in exchange for getting a full capacity return to school. It even goes on to say “Importantly, schools should ensure that the specific approaches adopted do not introduce capacity constraints and/or prevent a return to full-time learning in school”. So having a full time return was more important to them than following the proven guidance to keep us safe.

I appreciate that the blended learning approach wasn’t ideal for months on end but surely a period of easing the kids in, and keeping an eye on any rising of cases, would have been preferable instead of this jumping in feet first and dealing with the consequences later?

Reactions: 4
I don't see it as any different to a large nursery or reception class personally.
My sons reception class was free flow for 60 kids, 3 rooms, lots of hard to clean items.
At least in soft play, if you cordon off the ball pool, everything else is generally large, plastic and can be easily and thoroughly wiped.
I know plenty of others don't share that view and in normal times they are disgusting but I think they'll be cleaner now than they have been before.
I've seen a kid throw up in a ball pool and the parent cover it over with the balls and walk away without reporting it so I made a big deal about that.

I've seen toddlers pissing themselves and parents not report it for cleaning and someone changing a crappy nappy on the equipment.

They are grim and should be closed permanently

• Sick
Reactions: 14
It all makes no sense at all and is just confusing - I’m thinking that’s the point...

Only allowed 30 people at your wedding yet you can go to a pub or a soft play area with god knows how many other people.

You can have a facial or have your eyebrows threaded where they hold the thread in their mouth yet you have to wear a mask to get your hair done.

You have to wear a mask in the cinema yet you wouldn’t even come within 2m of anyone on a normal day anyway and you can remove it to eat? What if you eat the whole way through like me 😂

It’s just madness, it should be all or nothing because no one knows what the hell is going on. I certainly don’t know what the most recent guidelines are.

Reactions: 7
We have had some theatre shows moved to January but can't see it happening myself. Theaters don't even seem to feature anywhere on the roadmap. Got chatsworth house and Christmas market booked in November but expecting that to be cancelled too.
I got tickets for Mamma Mia in 2018 for this year and that's now been amended to 2022.

We will Rock You from May this year to March next year

Phantom of the Opera for next week has been refunded

Panto for new years eve this year has moved to next year's eve

Alanis Morrisette Sept to next October
Paul Weller Nov to next July
Ocean Colour Scene Dec hasn't been changed yet and Jason Manford in January!

And two weekends away to Liverpool too haven't been cancelled as yet.

It all makes no sense at all and is just confusing - I’m thinking that’s the point...

Only allowed 30 people at your wedding yet you can go to a pub or a soft play area with god knows how many other people.

You can have a facial or have your eyebrows threaded where they hold the thread in their mouth yet you have to wear a mask to get your hair done.

You have to wear a mask in the cinema yet you wouldn’t even come within 2m of anyone on a normal day anyway and you can remove it to eat? What if you eat the whole way through like me 😂

It’s just madness, it should be all or nothing because no one knows what the hell is going on. I certainly don’t know what the most recent guidelines are.
I can only assume that with weddings and pubs, you are not going round hugging everyone in the pub and in close contact with them like you would be at a wedding reception.

Masks in the cinema are only required in the foyer and when leaving your seat. You can remove them for the film if you are socially distanced from others.

I've seen so many things over social media where people are being so ridiculous over the guidelines and I can't decide if they are genuinely that stupid or not (Not you BTW, just in general!)

One person on the holiday pages is adamant you have to wear a mask in the cinema and pubs etc and that it has to be removed when you have a mouthful, back on while you chew then remove for the next bite and so on 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
I've seen a kid throw up in a ball pool and the parent cover it over with the balls and walk away without reporting it so I made a big deal about that.

I've seen toddlers pissing themselves and parents not report it for cleaning and someone changing a crappy nappy on the equipment.

They are grim and should be closed permanently
I don’t think places should be put out of business because parents can’t be arsed showing a bit of common courtesy or decency. They should however monitor the areas more. In a few I go to, they actually have monitors in the different sections.

With the new regulations - there should be more regular monitoring and more cleaning. So might actually be an improvement!

Reactions: 4
I have just seen an image of someone’s a level results. They got A’s in their mocks, was predicted an A*, what grades did they end up with? CBB.

What an utter shambles these poor kids.
I feel so sad for the current A Level and GCSE students. It’s so unfair.

Luckily my son took his 3 years ago. His school always made the mocks much harder so that they did more work for the actual exams. Sadly this year that will have backfired on them.
For example, in his mocks I think my son got BBC, for his UCAS predicted grades he was given ABB. in the actual exams he achieved A*AA. I dread to think what he’d have been awarded if he was in this years cohort. I really feel for them.

Universities seem to have been forgotten in all this but I suppose that’s because they’re businesses now.

We think the majority of his uni teaching from September will be online with the occasional small tutor group session. So basically like Open University but not paying OU prices!
Plus we’ve had to pay for his first terms accommodation already and guarantee we will pay for his flat for the rest of the academic year.
If most of his course will be online then his flat will remain empty and may only be used for when he has the tutor sessions. No idea if those will be weekly or monthly yet. If monthly then he may as well stay home and just use his flat like hotel accommodation for the odd day he has to physically attend uni.

How the students are expected to achieve a First Class Degree in these circumstances is beyond me.
It’s all such a mess. 😔

Our children’s generation will be paying for this pandemic for the rest of their lives.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
I feel so sad for the current A Level and GCSE students. It’s so unfair.

Luckily my son took his 3 years ago. His school always made the mocks much harder so that they did more work for the actual exams. Sadly this year that will have backfired on them.
For example, in his mocks I think my son got BBC, for his UCAS predicted grades he was given ABB. in the actual exams he achieved A*AA. I dread to think what he’d have been awarded if he was in this years cohort. I really feel for them.

Universities seem to have been forgotten in all this but I suppose that’s because they’re businesses now.

We think the majority of his uni teaching from September will be online with the occasional small tutor group session. So basically like Open University but not paying OU prices!
Plus we’ve had to pay for his first terms accommodation already and guarantee we will pay for his flat for the rest of the academic year.
If most of his course will be online then his flat will remain empty and may only be used for when he has the tutor sessions. No idea if those will be weekly or monthly yet. If monthly then he may as well stay home and just use his flat like hotel accommodation for the odd day he has to physically attend uni.

How the students are expected to achieve a First Class Degree in these circumstances is beyond me.
It’s all such a mess. 😔

Our children’s generation will be paying for this pandemic for the rest of their lives.
100000% agree.

I feel so heartbroken for so many teenagers going through all this stress. I read this statistic "Nationally 40% of students had their results downgraded. Not ONE student had their results at Eton downgraded." I think it sums up our Tory-led England very well. At the end of the day, if private schools didn't have an unfair advantage over the rest of us then no one would pay for them would they?

I also saw a tweet about a boy who fled Iraq with his grandmother when he was younger who just got 4 A*'s in his ALevels and got in to University of Cambridge to study medicine. He was a refugee and his parents had to sell their house in Iraq leaving them in a war-torn country homeless just to get their son to this country. I saw a reply under the tweet - "In the future, he will aid in saving multiple lives of those who want to see him drown in the channel". Spoke so much sense.

I know a few people are in the process of appealing grades to get in to universities but I also know a lot of universities have been very lenient in accepting students who have missed the grades - as they need the tuition fees students, to make up for all the international student fees they'll be missing out on next year. If any of you have kids in this situation, I urge you all to ring different universities clearing line and explain your situations, they will more than likely offer you a place based on your appeal being successful and getting your mock grade.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Weekend days aren’t helping the numbers announced everyday. I know that this is just England but they somehow just find less positives on a weekend. I’ve not looked at how many tests get done to see if that’s why because I’m exhausted today. But I imagine Monday being so high is likely linked to the sandwich factory outbreak. Our positive rate is still well below the WHO recommendation.

Attachments

Reactions: 1

Do they not have a limit on restaurants/pubs? Here it is no more than 50% capacity.

Scottish mum and shielder here too, my S3 was back yesterday, he’s quite anti social anyway so likes his own space and avoids a crowd. He said classrooms were as spread out as possible and he felt ok. the corridors were a different story, pretty crowded. Also kids squirting the hand sanitizer on the floor! My S5 back today, he’s more social but I hope he keeps his distance. Was only 2 year groups a day back one day a week this week. Whole school will be in from Monday. I dread to think Of the chaos. We are taking it a day at a time. i haven’t ruled out keeping them off.
we’re back full time, no spaced out in classrooms, set out as before. Like the only thing they’ve done is put hand sanitizer in.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
1,441 new cases announced today 😬
Deaths (within 28 days) 11.

Not reporting the deaths now though are they. Not scaremongering enough!

Surely cases going high and few ending up in hospital and/or passing away is showing that it's just not killing people off anymore like it was (even disputing this with the new death rate drop and the 28 day thing is still a joke! Could be positive today and run over next week and put down on the death toll)

Its not going to vanish overnight. We can't live this way forever. Nor will I accept mask life forever - cases still rising despite mask rules so makes me question their use aswell!

I trust nothing anymore 🤣 and I'm royally fed up.

Reactions: 6
Deaths (within 28 days) 11.

Not reporting the deaths now though are they. Not scaremongering enough!

Surely cases going high and few ending up in hospital and/or passing away is showing that it's just not killing people off anymore like it was (even disputing this with the new death rate drop and the 28 day thing is still a joke! Could be positive today and run over next week and put down on the death toll)

Its not going to vanish overnight. We can't live this way forever. Nor will I accept mask life forever - cases still rising despite mask rules so makes me question their use aswell!

I trust nothing anymore 🤣 and I'm royally fed up.
It’s completely scare mongering that death figures are no longer being (prominently) publicised. Where is the duty to people’s mental health? It’s probably killing more than COVID is at the moment.

Amazes me the huge numbers of people who happen to get run over by a bus 29 days after contracting Covid. I’d no idea it was such a risk 😂😂😂

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.