Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #40

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can completely understand why this has made you so anxious. So sorry this has happened through no fault of your own. As if there’s not enough going on to deal with right now. I’m guessing you can’t do the exam from home on July 13th?
You have to cancel your exam before it lets you see when the next home ones are and I’m nervous to do it just in case! 🙄

• Sad
Reactions: 1
You have to cancel your exam before it lets you see when the next home ones are and I’m nervous to do it just in case! 🙄
Oh god that’s a pain, nothing can be straightforward can it. How long do you have to make a decision? Do you feel confident in learning the new syllabus? It may not be too different? I’m really sorry I can’t be more help. I’d say try to clear your head and sleep on it tonight and hopefully it might feel clearer in the morning x

• Sad
I would like some opinions please.

I have a finance exam in Birmingham in 13th July. The exam board is the CII if anyone knows it. Anyway, I have had to rebook it several times. The first time because my Crohn’s disease was flaring and I was in the hospital. The next few times because of coronavirus and that they didn’t have the ability to do the exams remotely yet. I was relying on the fact that shielding would end on 30th June to honour the booking. It has obviously now been extended until the end of July. I have since had an email that my exam will now be going ahead but that everyone will be expected to distance two metres apart and wear masks at all times. Usually, calculators and pens are provided but they won’t be now. The email has made me feel really anxious and I would also have to use the train to get to the exam as I don’t live in the City.

There is the option of doing the exam from home with webcam invigilating and screen sharing so that they can check you aren’t cheating. I think that the best option is this. However, if they offer me a date after the end of August then I would have to learn a whole new textbook as the current syllabus would have expired. I’m worried about cancelling the booking that I have. What would you do if you were me? I feel like crying. 🙁
Try not to stress about it!
I would do the exam remotely using the webcam - I have a similar style exam in July and thats how they plan to do it. The lady said we just need to keep our eyes on our screen and we'll be fine. If it looks like we're looking above/below/side the laptop screen constantly as if to read cheat sheet, then you will automatically fail, however she said it would need to be pretty substantial. Mine is with UoB but they also give you an emergency phone number to text - you can text this number during the exam to say you are going toilet for example. Before doing this, I would make a point to show them the phone, the text to the camera and then make a point of setting it down so they don't think you've taken it with you.

Wishing you the best of luck with your exam!

Reactions: 2
Think they are blaming poverty and it’s high of BAME cultures x
In cases of poverty, I have read that a large group of people can live together in small quarters. Many still go to work and then it can spread that way. It is really sad. In the outbreaks at the meat factories here, many of the workers were immigrants or of poorer backgrounds and they were being crammed together in the factory without ppe. Appalling conditions.

(Disclaimer this isn’t directed at anyone on this forum more the media/Facebook posts I keep seeing)

Oh my god if I hear one more person bleating on about a bleeping second wave I swear I’m going to stab myself in the eye with a fork. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - SO bleeping WHAT?! So we should stay locked down forever should we? Is that what you would prefer? Thousands of people going without cancer treatment, fertility treatment (not that I can understand how anyone would want to bring a child into this absolute tit show), mental health treatment? Hundreds if not thousands of suicides? Millions losing their jobs and livelihoods?. Childhoods ruined through lack of structured education? The prospect of the rest of our lives without being able to hug our families, travel abroad, go to the bleeping beach without feeling like a murderer? Can’t even get a filling or get a bleeping haircut? Whenever we ease lockdown there is a risk of the virus spreading - do people not understand how viruses bleeping work?! We cannot eradicate a virus from our shores while we still have free travel between countries. Even in countries that literally welded people into their flats they haven’t eradicated it completely.

I know people are dying and I know it’s easy for me to say as a healthy 30 something but honestly I really think that if I was in a risk group I’d still feel the same way - because this life at the moment isn’t worth living. If you told me I could go back to my old life but I’d have a 10% chance of dying of COVID or I could stay in lockdown forever I’d take the risk.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
(Disclaimer this isn’t directed at anyone on this forum more the media/Facebook posts I keep seeing)

Oh my god if I hear one more person bleating on about a bleeping second wave I swear I’m going to stab myself in the eye with a fork. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - SO bleeping WHAT?! So we should stay locked down forever should we? Is that what you would prefer? Thousands of people going without cancer treatment, fertility treatment (not that I can understand how anyone would want to bring a child into this absolute tit show), mental health treatment? Hundreds if not thousands of suicides? Millions losing their jobs and livelihoods?. Childhoods ruined through lack of structured education? The prospect of the rest of our lives without being able to hug our families, travel abroad, go to the bleeping beach without feeling like a murderer? Can’t even get a filling or get a bleeping haircut? Whenever we ease lockdown there is a risk of the virus spreading - do people not understand how viruses bleeping work?! We cannot eradicate a virus from our shores while we still have free travel between countries. Even in countries that literally welded people into their flats they haven’t eradicated it completely.

I know people are dying and I know it’s easy for me to say as a healthy 30 something but honestly I really think that if I was in a risk group I’d still feel the same way - because this life at the moment isn’t worth living. If you told me I could go back to my old life but I’d have a 10% chance of dying of COVID or I could stay in lockdown forever I’d take the risk.
Ok, at first I thought I was on the Zoella thread and was v confused.

Anyway, I agree 100%.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
The longer this goes on, the more I honestly don’t think there are going to be second waves.

Reactions: 7
The longer this goes on, the more I honestly don’t think there are going to be second waves.
I think there will be bursts of numbers going up but am very skeptical of a big second wave. We've had so many reasons to already have one... V.E Day, Mother's Day, Easter, BLM Protests, etc and so far nothing.

Reactions: 7
I guess we will see how it all goes.if anything it'll be winter that it does it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I only know this because I have immunity and antibodies to TB . I was tested at school and didn’t need the vaccine and retested when I was a student nurse and then when I qualified . I came into contact with it when I was a baby and developed antibodies . Doctors say my body developed it’s own antibodies to it without becoming ill and fought it off
That maybe case with known diseases unsure that applies to new one like covid as it it possible be passed antibodies by the parent?

Had a reasonably good day drove to nearby town and big tesco. Hardly any queue and well managed when in there.
But couldent get what i wanted as they stopped selling laptops so ended up browsing and buying clothes for myself dont think i have done this since before xmas.
I am a person who loves shopping.
Lockdown weight gain not made me feel great.
Plus birthday this month its nice have 3 items that make me feel good.
On healthy eating plan now.
Husbands off next week we were meants to be away.

I feel like i ready hit primark or Ikea.
Defiantly going have some sort break from the kids next week.

Really cant keep up with England and covid.
I just wish the government would do better.
Seems be substantially less testing going on.

That maybe case with known diseases unsure that applies to new one like covid as it it possible be passed antibodies by the parent?

Had a reasonably good day drove to nearby town and big tesco. Hardly any queue and well managed when in there.
But couldent get what i wanted as they stopped selling laptops so ended up browsing and buying clothes for myself dont think i have done this since before xmas.
I am a person who loves shopping.
Lockdown weight gain not made me feel great.
Plus birthday this month its nice have 3 items that make me feel good.
On healthy eating plan now.
Husbands off next week we were meants to be away.

I feel like i ready hit primark or Ikea.
Defiantly going have some sort break from the kids next week.

Really cant keep up with England and covid.
I just wish the government would do better.
Seems be substantially less testing going on.
Maybe possibly but I was 3 at the time and nobody else has the immunity in my family , everyone else had to have the injection

Plus my friend who I went through nursing with was admitted into iccu with covid and when she had her antibodies test she hasn’t got any

So who knows wants happing with the virus

Please don’t take this the wrong way, I’m asking because of a conversation I had with my partner tonight....are you a parent of young children? I’m shielding and am a single parent to a 9 year old, if it was just me I probably wouldn’t be as fearful of catching it. But because I have a young son, I am petrified of catching it and potentially leaving him Without a mum at such a young age, does that make sense?

This pandemic has shown me just how introverted I really am.
I have no desire to go shopping in the foreseeable future or visit people.
I’m quite content in my little bubble at home.
Tomorrow I will be wearing a bra and make up for the first time in 3 months! 😲😆
I agree completely with this, yet if you’d asked me a few months ago, I would have said I was sociable etc but actually this has proved I’m quite happy on my own without seeing lots of people.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I've never had the flu shot before but I am seriously thinking about getting it this year. Where I live, it is available to everyone for free.
I may not be able to get a covid vaccine but I can get the regular flu shot to potentially make sure I don't pass normal flu onto older people, vulnerable people, etc. I feel it is so important this upcoming winter season since there will be regular flu and possibly covid. It would be really awful for people to get sick with the regular flu AND then covid too.

Reactions: 6

Absolutely!! Couldn’t have put it better myself.

(And I know someone then asked if you have kids..I have 3 under 7, I still agree with every single word said)

That’s not to say I’m out rubbing shoulders with people in crowds. I’ve actually enjoyed lockdown live-the quiet and being encouraged to get outside and walk more with the kids etc

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Please don’t take this the wrong way, I’m asking because of a conversation I had with my partner tonight....are you a parent of young children? I’m shielding and am a single parent to a 9 year old, if it was just me I probably wouldn’t be as fearful of catching it. But because I have a young son, I am petrified of catching it and potentially leaving him Without a mum at such a young age, does that make sense?
No I don’t have any children, if I did I may feel differently perhaps or the children would give me some sort of motivation to make the best of the situation? Who knows! If anything though this experience has clarified my uncertainty about whether I ever want to have a baby.

Reactions: 2
People have to stop saying that other people are selfish, without knowing their circumstances. Nobody knows how others are feeling mentally and why they do what they are doing.
It’s not okay to berate everyone that doesn’t feel the same way as you do. People are allowed to not be scared and people are allowed to be cautious and scared. Yes there are a few that have taken SD and thrown it out of the window and have really ran for the hills, but not everyone that is breaking a few rules are doing it because they are selfish and don’t care, some people genuinely cannot cope anymore and I’m really sorry but we can’t do it forever. YOU don’t care about haircuts, some people do and their appearance matters to them, YOU don’t care about restaurants, some people like to eat out and that’s okay, YOU don’t care about the pub, some people like the social aspect and getting out, that’s ok. Stop berating each other and stop judging each other without knowing the circumstances.
It angers me that people think because THEY are shielding and scared that everyone else has to be terrified and think about them, just like they are saying that these ‘flouters’ are selfish and it’s not about them, it’s not all about you either and everybody else should not have to stay at home until next year because you want to. I’m so sorry if that’s harsh, but I try not to judge anyone until I know the circumstances.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.