Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #37

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think we’re very lucky if climate is making a difference.
because good weather, protests,

the world is a bleeping scary place right now.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
I've made the decision to go sit with my mum and dad next weekend socially distanced in their garden. I'm doing this as I feel there's going to be another spike and before all us get locked back down. It'll be 11 weeks on Saturday since I saw either of them and I need it to be honest. Not sure if it's allowed for those shielding but using my own judgement. Need to see them before having it taken away for months again

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I've made the decision to go sit my mum and dad next weekend socially distanced in their garden. I'm doing this as I feel there's going to be another spike and before all us get locked back down. It'll be 11 weeks on Saturday since I saw either of them and I need it to be honest. Not sure if it's allowed for those shielding but using my own judgement. Need to see them before having it taken away for months again
Do what you need to do and don’t feel bad about it. ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Reckon London will see their R value go back up after seeing all the BAME groups in small areas with those protests 🙈🙈

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I think we’re very lucky if climate is making a difference.
because good weather, protests,

the world is a bleeping scary place right now.

I’m the nicest way possible this is completely different. POC have dealt with hundreds of years of systemic racism and the death of George Floyd couldn’t go without something being done. Is it a perfect time NO but when exactly is the perfect time to fight for rights because women were told it was a bad time, black Americans were told it was the wrong time in the 60s. It is always the wrong time to some people.

Revolution is messy and it always will be but it is required to get society to a point where everyone has respect regardless of skin colours.

Edit: I am aiming this at the tweet if you don’ agree with said tweet, cool

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Forgive me for being silly but why is this a bad thing?
The numbers aren't falling they are reaching a plateau, and yet the government are telling people there's no need to shield anymore, they are rushing things back to normal while the threat from the virus is still too great. Their plan was to only relax measures once the threat and daily deaths etc were both low or there was a vaccine but they seem to have scrapped that and returning to normal regardless.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
The VE day celebrations weren't as widespread as the easing of lockdown has been. At the time there were plenty of people on here who had never even heard of street parties for VE day.
There have been spikes though, look at the hospital in the South West that had to close to new admissions. R has not dropped, in fact in the South West it has increased. If lockdown was being followed we would surely be seeing a decline in that?
It won't be an instant thing, it will take a good few weeks of people disregarding the rules before we see a spike, if there is going to be one that is.

Reactions: 7
I’m the nicest way possible this is completely different. POC have dealt with hundreds of years of systemic racism and the death of George Lloyd couldn’t go without something being done. Is it a perfect time NO but when exactly is the perfect time to fight for rights because women were told it was a bad time, black Americans were told it was the wrong time in the 60s. It is always the wrong time to some people.

Revolution is messy and it always will be but it is required to get society to a point where everyone has respect regardless of skin colours.

Yep, "that thousands of people would come out to demonstrate in the middle of a pandemic shows how angry and raw people are, and how prescient so many of these issues still are, despite decades of lip service from the establishment." ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I’m the nicest way possible this is completely different. POC have dealt with hundreds of years of systemic racism and the death of George Lloyd couldn’t go without something being done. Is it a perfect time NO but when exactly is the perfect time to fight for rights because women were told it was a bad time, black Americans were told it was the wrong time in the 60s. It is always the wrong time to some people.

At no point have I said this shouldn’t be happening, at NO POINT.

right now every country is fighting a pandemic and racism.
One doesn’t go away because of the other.

I hope we experience change in both areas. But this is the covid thread, and my point is only about gatherings right now.
I’ve quoted a tweet, not said I agree or disagree.

please don’t think it’s a judgement, it’s an observation, that’s all.

At no point have I said this shouldn’t be happening, at NO POINT.

right now every country is fighting a pandemic and racism.
One doesn’t go away because of the other.

I hope we experience change in both areas. But this is the covid thread, and my point is only about gatherings right now.

please don’t think it’s a judgement, it’s an observation, that’s all.
I said at the bottom I aimed that at the tweet and said if you didn’t agree then cool.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Despite the loosening of restrictions I still think many will choose to stay in. I’m going to watch and wait. I can work from home and I’ve opted to keep my reception age son home from school for a couple more weeks at least until I see if there is any impact to schools returning. His school have got 80% of R, yr1 and yr 6 returning apparently so that’s a lot of children (3 classes per year group). I may go and sit At a distance in my mums large garden but not sure about seeing my bf yet as it’ll be too hard not to hug him and it will be painful for us after three months.
Wow, that is a big return . There will be many families monitoring this closely to see how it pans out.

Morale is important, don’t underestimate how important morale is.
💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰
damn emoji keyboard doing an autocorrect. 🙄
I'm scared and exhausted by all this.
Could this possibly be partially explained by the fact that these people would have died anyway? Wishful thinking maybe but seems a stretch for it to go down to 0 for example because people die every day and if in a care home or hospital etc they’ve got more chance of getting it (or being assumed to have it!)

Reactions: 2
Wow, that is a big return . There will be many families monitoring this closely to see how it pans out.
we are in the south west and our area has had about 400 positive Covid cases out of almost 300k residents so I think a lot people think low risk however the R rate is higher in the south west so I’m still being cautious. my office is unlikely to have us back on the premises in months so I have the luxury of being able to wait and see a bit luckily.

That’s brutal. I can’t believe they won’t phase you back in after all that time. 😩
Normally we do shifts. Not all staff are back yet so it was easier to have everyone working the long day 715 till 615. That way when numbers drop, staff can start cleaning and closing rooms down ready for next day so we don't need to wait till 615 to clean

I said at the bottom I aimed that at the tweet and said if you didn’t agree then cool.
it’s not something I would have tweeted,
i probably shouldn’t have brought it here to this platform because this isn’t Sonya and her kids meeting Karen and her kids in Brighton.

things are scary right now.

Could this possibly be partially explained by the fact that these people would have died anyway? Wishful thinking maybe but seems a stretch for it to go down to 0 for example because people die every day and if in a care home or hospital etc they’ve got more chance of getting it (or being assumed to have it!)
from what I understand a plateau for a extended period of time is quite dangerous, especially if your plan is to lift restrictions.

if the numbers aren’t going down, it can flip in heartbeat and start going back up again, and quickly,

most might have underlying conditions, but they died with the virus, so the virus itself is still present and spreading.
if the R goes above one, it’s hard to control the spread, you’re then going from a plateau to numbers rising again, with society outside of a lockdown.

I could be wrong that’s what I got from it 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
The protests are hugely risky but it's also SO important for these protests to happen. Despite the fact protests like these have happened before, these ones feel more impactful so far and I think continuing them while the going is good is the best thing. People are fed up.

They're holding onto this thread of hope that they have, and hopefully something will come of it this time. I'm not naive enough to think it will have much of an impact because it never seems to as a whole, but it's having a huge impact on people individually and people who usually keep quiet are using their voice instead of staying silent (which is so important). I think it's finally made people realise that it's not enough to be not racist. I think this particular death shocked people more than others (which it shouldn't have done really) - because it was so clearly a murder. Even people who usually argue it can't argue that the cop was definitely in the wrong. Some are trying of course... but it's a minority.

But yeah it's a huge risk in terms of the virus and it is very worrying but this is also a super important moment in history and I hope they don't give up. I'd be doing more myself if I didn't have my children to take care of. It's a shame it happened in the middle of a pandemic.

Reactions: 5
Can’t find where it was mentioned earlier but it isn’t true that kids need to get viruses to build immunity to other viruses later in life. So if they get a sickness bug, it doesn’t stop them getting a different sickness bug. It just stops them getting that same sickness bug. Same with viruses. Obviously there are exceptions - chickenpox for example, once caught typically gives life long immunity. Unknown at the moment for Covid.

It’s a frustrating myth. Better off letting your kid dig around in the mud and build their microbiome than willingly sending them towards snotty kids to ‘build their immune systems’
it was me. I’m fully aware that every year it’s a different flu strain and different bugs etc and getting once doesn’t mean you get it all the time. I know how illness works. That’s literally common sense.

what I’m saying is that kids and people In general being exposed to other people’s ‘germs’ help create antibodies and for the body to get used to fighting off pathogens. I’m not saying give all kids coronavirus so they’ll be immune and I’m not saying send kids to sit with someone who has a bug so they get immunity.
My point was that kids being kept away from people and the outdoors could harm their ability to fight off pathogens in the long run cause they aren’t getting the exposure they would normally.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.