Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #34

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Children can be kept off indefinitely, hundreds of thousands of children were home educated before this and they will be after this.
I will still personally be watching the R, it might not matter to the government but it does to me. Locally if cases begin to rise when the schools have been back for 2/3 weeks then that will help me make an informed decision as to what next steps i take with my own childrens education.
Everyone is in a different position though, what works for one, won't work for another.
But if it's going to be around forever, like they seem to think, with possible variations on the strain each year, is it really possible for every parent to give up work and home school?

Again there seems to be a huge divide. Those that have to go to work and therefore children have to go to school and those who can afford to stay at home because the partners earns enough and so they can choose to school.

Of course people can home school. How many can actually confidently home school pass primary school Age, given many people can't home school with work that's already been set for then as they don't understand it?

It's literally the middle class waiting for the working class to go out and test the waters before they decide what to do.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I recieved my letter on the 26th March but had been shielding 2 weeks prior to that on advice of my oncologist. My 12 week period took me to 18th June but then recieved another letter stating to shield until the end of June
Oh I see, well you're over half way through ❤

Reactions: 3
I appreciate that I have 1 secondary age child and they have vertical tutoring group so years 7 to 11 mixed but they don't really do academic work during tutor time.
The core subjects are ability set and the softer subjects pe drama cookery music are set by house so that's a lot of mixing.
The biggest barrier to seniors my child goes to is people travel miles from other countries as do staff and lots use busy public transport or schooo buses to do so as city centre.

At primary I'm not sure age 4 to 11 in same class work.
My daughter attends junior so year 3 to 6 ks2 only might work better than trying mix efys reception ks1 and ks2 together.
The greater level of differentiated teaching harder it just be for teachers
Even in 1 year group there's variances summer borm/ Autumn born/vunerable kids and SEN all in same class of 30.
We are very lucky with our secondary school, very lucky. It's an outstanding school and has been since it pretty much started. My husband went to school there and he's 40.

The good thing is that it has a very small catchment. Everyone at the school is within walking distance. Son started there September 2019 and the catchment for entry this September is 0.7 miles so we don't get anyone from out of area so there's no one travelling far to get there so any illness is contained.

Theyve been brilliant through this. All subjects have set two pieces of homework per week, all of which is marked and feedback given. Fun tasks have been set too, zoom form meetings and weekly welfare telephone calls made too.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
My hope is the government are more vocal about the kids covid symptoms. This is the crutch of it for me. Please just tell the general plebs what you know about it.

Reactions: 8
We drove to my mums earlier to pick something up and my 7 year old got out of the car and it was very hard to get him to socially distance! He’s well aware of how people should be, stays to one side when we’re out walking etc. but I just don’t think he understands with family because “we know them so it’s different”. He ended up hugging my sister’s legs (she lives with my mum) and my mum gave him a kiss on the head and now I feel really guilty! 😩💔
And this is why we can't see families yet but can go to work or use Estate agents. We wouldn't have physical contact with anyone like that but we would our families and so would children.

Not having a go by the way, just saying why people are getting het up that they can't see their families but can go to work etc

Reactions: 5
@Asda about the kfc vegan burger.
It’s actually really nice. It’s a quorn burger with the kfc coating on it!
I really like it and it’s not slimy which I find a lot of vegan food is.

P.s hi fellow vegan 👋

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Tonight's briefing at 4.30pm.

Amok Sharma will be joined by NHS England medical director Prof Stephen Powis.

We are still waiting for the test to see if it was C virus that my daughter had. If it was (we think it was and so does our doctor) the symptoms were the same as adults. Started with extremely high temperature and headache and then the dry cough started a day or so later turning into a much more nasty relentless cough a day later. We used high dose vitamin C (like they advised in China, preliminary studies coming from Shanghai at the time indicated high dose IV vitamin C therapy was effective) I believe this was what helped her so much as any less fluids or higher temperature (it was ridiculously high) she would have been admitted to hospital.

This coupled with removing any dairy (as it’s mucous forming) and no sugar as feeds the virus all contributed to helping her. I had to check her throughout the night for 8-10 days as with the cough it can deteriorate and got worse very quickly so monitoring was very important. I thought this information may be helpful to others with children. She is 8 as just had her birthday and was taking a while to clear the cough and suffered greatly with post viral fatigue for a month after but she is just now starting to get her energy fully back! She slept and slept and slept which was the best thing for her! It’s not a pleasant virus but it’s doable and in many children they don’t even show symptoms! Our GP said in most of his children it is just normal virus symptoms for 7-10 days and much milder than in adults.

• Heart
Reactions: 7

Am I the only one who is getting frustrated about just how missing in action Boris is? In my view he should be doing those daily briefings, with support from other experts/cabinet ministers where required. He’s barely been visible at all. Every weekend off, pre recorded messages on Sunday night etc.

She gets a lot of criticism but at least Sturgeon is talking to her country regularly. 🙄

Sorry, rant over. Just very annoying that bojo is no where to be seen.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
I'm having a real down day today. No motivation to do anything. Finding no joy in anything at all. I'm trying to eat healthily too and would not ally smash through a load of junk food - so that's not an option! 😔😔

I go from feeling so thankful to be safe at home, and lucky to have my wonderful little family to then being petrified about us getting the virus (I'm high risk) to then thinking like we're going to be living this weird socially distant life for the next 18mths-2yrs til a vaccine.... To think thinking about how their may never be a vaccine.

I'm a teacher so stressed about schools opening too.

Can anyone relate? How long do you think it'll be until we can hug family? Drive to a beach, stay in a hotel and have some kind of respite?

Will we have to have herd immunity where's it's basically survival of the fittest? 😔😔😔

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 8

#wherethefuckisboris

it’s hilarious that sky news are saying the U.K. should look to Ireland for “advice”

We don’t even have a bleeping government and the caretakers spend their days scraping with each other 🤦‍♀️

We’re all fucked 😂🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 16
So.. We're still not on Level 3 yet? He's still saying R is down but its only 'down' in London. Its back to 0.6-1 in every other region and call me cynical but maybe they've leaked it being significantly lower in London so people will feel better going back to work.

WHERE is Boris!?

Reactions: 16
I'm having a real down day today. No motivation to do anything. Finding no joy in anything at all. I'm trying to eat healthily too and would not ally smash through a load of junk food - so that's not an option! 😔😔

I go from feeling so thankful to be safe at home, and lucky to have my wonderful little family to then being petrified about us getting the virus (I'm high risk) to then thinking like we're going to be living this weird socially distant life for the next 18mths-2yrs til a vaccine.... To think thinking about how their may never be a vaccine.

Can anyone relate? How long do you think it'll be until we can hug family? Drive to a beach, stay in a hotel and have some kind of respite?

Will we have to have herd immunity where's it's basically survival of the fittest? 😔😔😔
Yes I relate so much to this .My husband and youngest son are both in the at risk group (but not high risk apparently). Our home is a tip and I've eaten through all the treats I got myself yesterday already .

• Sad
Reactions: 3

I'm having a down day too, I miss going outside, I miss meals out, I miss, seeing people other than my child.

Also dieting and would love a takeaway right now 😔

• Sad
I see the death toll is substantially lower, though it's still 170 people having died. It's good to see the figures shrink but I don't think we're remotely out of the woods yet sadly.
Living alone in lockdown is getting to me (I do at least work a bit still), and I was supposed to visit my new baby nephew this week :(

• Sad

I'm lacking motivation today we had a quite back for some work on garden which is much higher plus we have some other costs that combined with half pay for husband and him back go working 6days from tommorow has put me in a crappy mood.
Arrived at supermarket for evening shift sometimes it's a nice break buts it's rammed super busy big queue outside so god knows what shift it be.
I feel ok behind till However it's impossible socially distance with other staff on the kiosk.
When our on shop floor customers getting way too close.

I doubt I'm missing much at press conference.

I feel greatful we all well and wider family and freinds ok.
That we ok financially at the moment.
That we both have jobs then I feel guilty for moaning when I see what others are going through but that doesn't make my feelings any less worthy I guess some will be better off than me and some will be worse.
Everyone reacts in different way.
I'm not hugely missing my family as seldom see them.
I posted few things on fb thats caused some debate on schools I should know better.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
But if it's going to be around forever, like they seem to think, with possible variations on the strain each year, is it really possible for every parent to give up work and home school?

Again there seems to be a huge divide. Those that have to go to work and therefore children have to go to school and those who can afford to stay at home because the partners earns enough and so they can choose to school.

Of course people can home school. How many can actually confidently home school pass primary school Age, given many people can't home school with work that's already been set for then as they don't understand it?

It's literally the middle class waiting for the working class to go out and test the waters before they decide what to do.
No, of course it isnt going to be possible for every parent to home educate and im sure for many even it is was an option it wouldnt be their first choice.

I'm not middle class, far from it. I am self employed, i stopped working when i took my children out of school and we are scraping by, surviving. My wages went on things like after school clubs, swimming lessons, days out, second car insurance/tax/mot, childrens clothing etc all of which we've stopped needing/using during lockdown. We will reassess our priorities later in the year. Im very aware that many people are in a worse/better position than i am and that is why i said, what works for one, wont work for another.
Your comment was that children couldn't be kept off indefinitely, that is a choice for each individual, for some they most certainly can.

I see the death toll is substantially lower, though it's still 170 people having died. It's good to see the figures shrink but I don't think we're remotely out of the woods yet sadly.
Living alone in lockdown is getting to me (I do at least work a bit still), and I was supposed to visit my new baby nephew this week :(
I saw I won't get to squish my baby neice.
She be walking by time I can at this rate feel we no closer to end we can't just go Winchester and wait for it to blow over.
I strangely miss my local pub and mundane shopping/ browsing.
The queue for primark doesn't bare thinking about.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.