Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #32

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If you compare previous Tuesdays it's gone down. But the amount of new cases still scares me.
The problem we have is that we didn't have the same number of testing a few eeks ago let alone at the peak so we can't see it as a reassurance. It could have come right down but we can't see that.

Reactions: 10
Does anyone know if its possible for a child to repeat their reception year? My son is current Reception but not 5 until August. I feel he really needs to do the year again or he will be really behind.
You cant repeat the year. In some places, you can start reception late or start school when you're 5 but in year 1. I wouldn't worry too much. Every child in your child's reception class would have missed the reception year. Just do some reading with him, practice pencil control with the dotted sheets and writing out numbers and he will be fine. Reception is mainly learning through play. Education is a long game and kids develop at different paces no matter when they are born.

Reactions: 7
You cant repeat the year. In some places, you can start reception late or start school when you're 5 but in year 1. I wouldn't worry too much. Every child in your child's reception class would have missed the reception year. Just do some reading and writing practice and numbers and he'll be fine. Education is a long game and kids develop at different paces no matter when they are born.
That's very true my son is the youngest in his class and the most academically gifted according to his teacher .But he has a love for all things number and letter related so that helps..

Reactions: 4
Im hoping the number of deaths reflects the backlog over bank holiday weekend, hasnt there been 3 days straight of 250 ish deaths a day? Hopefully thats why its so high today 😭

They’ve said readings the most important thing any child could do right now & it’s proberly the easiest thing to learn you child so we’ve been mainly focusing on reading and then 15 mins writing 15 mins maths 15 mins p.e and so on but we don’t do it everyday sometimes it’s only 3 times a week! No one should feel bad we’re all in the same boat as long as we make memories and keep them happy that’s what they’ll remember most

I think In the next 3 weeks is when we’ll see a spike in everything.. after bank holiday weekend & the lockdown been eased the way it’s set to tommorow the idiots will be out in force flocking to every park and beach

You cant repeat the year. In some places, you can start reception late or start school when you're 5 but in year 1. I wouldn't worry too much. Every child in your child's reception class would have missed the reception year. Just do some reading with him, practice pencil control with the dotted sheets and writing out numbers and he will be fine. Reception is mainly learning through play. Education is a long game and kids develop at different paces no matter when they are born.
OK thanks. Hes actually an intelligent child but being so much younger than the rest of his yeargroup has worried me
They’ve said readings the most important thing any child could do right now & it’s proberly the easiest thing to learn you child so we’ve been mainly focusing on reading and then 15 mins writing 15 mins maths 15 mins p.e and so on but we don’t do it everyday sometimes it’s only 3 times a week! No one should feel bad we’re all in the same boat as long as we make memories and keep them happy that’s what they’ll remember most

I think In the next 3 weeks is when we’ll see a spike in everything.. after bank holiday weekend & the lockdown been eased the way it’s set to tommorow the idiots will be out in force flocking to every park and beach
Yeah ive really tried to get him to do some school stuff at home and he has to an extent but not as much as I'd have liked. I just got to the point where I dont want a fight with him as he's so headstrong..im also 36 weeks pregnant, on my own and suffering badly from anemia so its kinda hard some days. Makes me feel really guilty that I'm not doing enough for him.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
OK thanks. Hes actually an intelligent child but being so much younger than the rest of his yeargroup has worried me

Yeah ive really tried to get him to do some school stuff at home and he has to an extent but not as much as I'd have liked. I just got to the point where I dont want a fight with him as he's so headstrong..im also 36 weeks pregnant, on my own and suffering badly from anemia so its kinda hard some days. Makes me feel really guilty that I'm not doing enough for him.
I know it’s easier said than done, but please try not to be too hard on yourself. He sounds like he is loved, cared for and looked after ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 3
So we can't go visiting friends and family under lockdown.
But under the new rules, from midnight tonight, you can visit a total stranger's home, if you want to buy or rent it.
🤔

Attachments

• Wow
Not really just that the date is movable based on the suppression of the virus.

Which is what the government have said really, if numbers jump so does the date.

Schools 100% need to know numbers and I think thier will be a we need to know by this date if your child is coming letter out soon.
My school have requested that we let them know by Thursday if our child will be going in

• Wow
Reactions: 9
My school have requested that we let them know by Thursday if our child will be going in
My god that's to soon to make an informed choice. Unless your school can give you thier plan for reopening you can't decide how you feel!

My son is 11mths younger than some of his classmates and there's been no problem.I wouldn't worry too much about the home schooling the teacher has said just do what you can ,as they know the kids don't see home as a learning environment x. The website they use is called" Top Mark's "it follows the curriculum and there's lots of fun learning games on that from yr 1 right up.He might find something on there he likes..

Reactions: 1
So we can't go visiting friends and family under lockdown.
But under the new rules, from midnight tonight, you can visit a total stranger's home, if you want to buy or rent it.
🤔
If you take emotions out of it the basic facts are we can't see everyone we normally see or the R number will be through the roof.

To try and ease lockdown we therefore have to choose a small number of people to see. If we all had the choice it would be our friends and family but then nothing would actually change in the economy/society.

The other option is the few people we see are work colleagues or people that we need to see to continue life ie shop workers, dentists, tradesmen. In the case highlighted some people would have been about to move or try and move and still need or want to do that. Maybe they have had a break up or want to move in together, maybe there having a baby or have lost their job and can't afford their current home.

So yes we are all going to have to not see the people we want to see over the people we need to see to stop the world grinding to a complete stop but still trying at some level to reduce the death rate.

And yes this completly sucks 👍

Reactions: 11
I spoke to my manager and friend who was previously a manager yesterday. Basically the councils are set to call nurseries and someone else, I can’t remember what they are called. During these phone calls they are discussing the guidelines and implementing what needs to be done to keep them everyone safe and complying with social distancing. They will also discuss changes that will happen to the nursery to comply with this, my nursery has come up with a new policy and procedure on what to do during this time. Overall from my understanding if staff/children who are extremely vulnerable or come from households with extremely vulnerable can only go in if stringent social distancing can be aheard to. And I believe this also depends on if a setting can open, if nurseries are unable to put things into place to keep children and staff safe but also social distance then how can they operate? My nursery is currently open for key workers with 3 members of staff and about 6 children per day and they’ve said their struggling with the social distancing, constant cleaning and explaining and supporting children with this so I honestly can’t see how this would work by adding another half of children. Children need to explore and connect with others and I can see this having such a negative impact on everyone. It makes you concerned if after something like this if early years can bounce back up! I love my job and the thought of it being nothing like how it was really breaks my heart

We are open for key workers children but having up to 20 a day and there has been no social distancing at all no ppe for staff and the cleaning is minimal as we are so busy I’m worried when more come back into the nursery to be honest

Did you read the early years guidance? It lists it all in there. As a key worker you will be allocated a group of children in your ratio and you alone are responsible for those children and stay together as a group, so that group eats together, sleeps together and goes in the garden together.

Frequent handwashing and nose wiping is encouraged more frequent cleaning of toys etc. They are saying where possible, be outside as much as possible which helps.

You can still give babies bottles and change their nappies and rock them to sleep. After nappy changes, you need to clean the whole area down which you should be doing anyway.

It's going to be a shock for some settings who don't clean frequently or properly

Yeah i read that today think this only will work if we have extra staff in to maintain the social distancing and cleaning but sometimes that isn’t the case, fingers crossed we can find the best way to manage it!!

Teaching freinds said that unions opposing reopen next month.
Based on latest email from head of 1 child's primary I think that's true they been told not to engage in planning or support this decision.
Although not many parents I speak to are ready to send their kids back.
Again harder if have kids different years or rely on public transport as council given you school miles away.

It seems the furlough scheme reformed in August not sure how until end July it's 80%..
Biggest issue / barrier to work is childcare.
If I knew husband was off longer or set amount time I would try pick up some overtime.
No idea about my job it's temporary contact and I'm apparently covering lady on maternity leave.
It's really hard to plan.

Sad case on c4 news about London transport worker abused by traveller claiming to have covid she then caught covid and died.

Freinds on fb moaning festivals and holidays abroad cancelled all year.
Many seem to think this will blow over.
Press conference bit boring.
Also if london has had its peak are other areas maybe northern cities having a crap time now.

Reactions: 4
@Kermy5
On the cleaning front, our cleaner has said that she will be wearing relevant PPE (which she wore pre corona anyway) and we will either be out or in a selected room.
She's starting out by only cleaning for an hour per property and will be bringing all of her own cleaning equipment with her i.e her own vacuum etc. I usually like her to use sustainable/natural products which I provide so this is the biggest change for us.
No houses smaller than 4 bedrooms or where distancing will be difficult.
No cash payments.
She won't be attending anyone's homes who have had symptoms or confirmed corona for 2 weeks after the last day of symptoms.

She seems to have it covered to be fair.
Hope this helps you with making a decision a little bit
❤

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.